• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Thief |OT| Dancing into obscurity, now across the pacific!

ShadiWulf

AVAILABLE NOW IN NORTH AMERICA

Jzkxs.jpg

szX6J.jpg

BGxry.jpg

aVeh8.jpg

wstsM.jpg

ZDrhx.jpg

YU0jX.jpg

Thanks to Nemesis556 for helping with the info gathering. Sorry if the OT seems a bit low on content, but there really wasn't much to say, it's better if you just watch and see for yourself, and then play it of course!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This thread has probably already more replys than the game sold so far in europe, but i liked the demo. Will get it once it becomes cheaper.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nice work on the OP as usual, Shadi.

I really want this game but I have to wait for the NA release. :/

electroplankton said:
My website reviewed Rhythm Thief with a soli 8. Didn't played yet, but I'll buy it as soon as possible.
Can you post a link, please? I don't mind if it's in another language (probably Italian, I'm guessing?).

Aww, since the game's been out for a while, I was hoping the OT indicated the game was finally released in N.America...

I've been waiting for this game for what seems like forever. :(

Can you post a link, please? I don't mind if it's in another language (probably Italian, I'm guessing?).

Sure: http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/04/30/rhythm-thief-e-il-tesoro-dellimperatore-recensione/

Conclusions:

It's incredible how a game with such qualities has been released on the sly; we do hope this won't compromise SEGA plans in creating a series from Raphael's adventure.

Rhythm Thief is imperfect, it has some flaws; at the same time, it is so enjoyable that will make you always smile, thanks to a catchy stage or an intriguing quotation. Playing the game for some hours, you will have a feeling that Raphael is one of those memorable video game characters that you will remember for a long time, but with some unexpressed potential.

Did 3DS get its Ouendan?

Sagitario

Really interested in this game.
Hopefully the american demo will be available soon.

Mixing Layton + EBA gameplay/style = excite!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks~

Il punto debole di Rhythm Thief è la volontà di voler accompagnare costantemente il giocatore per mano. Un “difetto” chiaramente riconducibile alla ricerca di un target ben preciso, che non compromette certamente l'esperienza durante tutta la sua durata, ma che talvolta potrebbe creare situazioni leggermente tediose a causa di backtracking e dialoghi leggermente superflui.

Il maggior rammarico riguarda l’impossibilità del titolo di esprimere al meglio il suo potenziale nelle sequenze esplorative.
That's a little unfortunate, but as long as the experience of the game makes up for it, I'm sure it'll be fun and enjoyable outside of it (like the review's conclusion basically said).

Given SEGA's current state, I'm not sure if they'll release a sequel to this. I didn't even think this was out in EU since I haven't seen a lot of people talking about it.

wrowa

Really liked the demo, but it's still too expensive for me. Hopefully it drops in price soon!

I'm sitting in the same boat. I enjoyed the demo and I'd love to play the full game, but it's just nothing I want to pay 40 bucks for.

I'm kind of shocked the game hasn't price dropped in EU yet, i'm circling it like a vulture, Rhythm Thief is trudging through the desert, it's water supply is linked to its sales, surely it isn't too long now before I can swoop down and get myself a delicious bargain.

So yeah I look forward to it, should be a fun game, the demo was enjoyable.

ShadiWulf

I'm kind of shocked the game hasn't price dropped in EU yet, i'm circling it like a vulture, Rhythm Thief is trudging through the desert, it's water supply is linked to its sales, surely it isn't too long now before I can swoop down and get myself a delicious bargain.

So yeah I look forward to it, should be a fun game, the demo was enjoyable.

The downside to Nintendo distributing the game in the EU... it's price will never drop. Poor SEGA )=

The downside to Nintendo distributing the game in the EU... it's price will never drop. Poor SEGA )=

Well it will end up in my collection eventually, they might luck out and I just fork over the full price, in truth I feel like a bit of a villain waiting for a price drop to what seems to be a solid new IP while Sega fall into money trouble.

wrowa

That's one of these game myths that simply aren't true. :p Nintendo games drop in price all the time. It's only the evergreen titles that never see a price drop worth speaking about.

Nintendo published 3DS games that dropped in price in Europe and are available for +- 20€:
-Steel Diver
-Street Fighter IV (distributed by Nintendo in EU)
-Dead or Alive Dimenions (same)
-Resident Evil Mercenaries (same)

Well it will end up in my collection eventually, they might luck out and I just fork over the full price, in truth I feel like a bit of a villain waiting for a price drop to what seems to be a solid new IP while Sega fall into money trouble.
It's their own fault, though. Rhythm Thief quite simply is not a game that you can sell for 40€/$ in this day and age -- but they nevertheless decided to release it that way. I'm quite sure that the additional sales of a lower priced release would have far outweighed the "losses" of not selling it full-price, but all parties involved seem to be perfectly fine with letting the game die a horrible death.

OMG Aero

I've had this game since it came out in Europe and completed it a few weeks back.
Aside from a few minor missteps it's awesome and everyone should get it.

MicH

What kind of amazes me is, that Kid Icarus is already cheaper most places (Amazon UK currently at £23), but Rhythm Thief is still a solid £30. Urgh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Game looks incredible and I've been hyped since I first saw it.

Why do they make NA wait so long. :(

jesusraz

A really fantastic game that deserves to be successful enough to at least spawn a sequel:

SEGA has crafted a wonderful first attempt at the rhythm genre on Nintendo 3DS with Rhythm Thief and the Emperor’s Treasure by mixing up the standard fare totally, slotting in all sorts of fantastic and addictive mini-games, a wealth of gorgeous presentation, and some absolutely amazing, toe-tapping tunes, plus a heap of impressive voice acting. The only aspect that some may feel holds it back is the quirky scoring system included, yet anyone loving a tough challenge will warm to it nicely.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1103/ - 9/10

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Didn't buy it at launch due to other things...now I can buy it. Preordered on Amazon, and hyped :D

Looks like bombed in Australia, on sale for 28 down from 70 atm at EB games
had to pick it up for that price, pretty impressive :D

Done 3 mini games so far, loved the first dance game.. not so much the next 2

Chopper

Looks like bombed in Australia, on sale for 28 down from 70 atm at EB games
had to pick it up for that price, pretty impressive :D

Done 3 mini games so far, loved the first dance game.. not so much the next 2
Ugh. It's still stupid money here in the UK. Been looking to pick it up for weeks now, and I haven't seen it any cheaper than £30.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Thanks for posting up the OP Shadi!

And thanks to all those in the US for waiting patiently as we get close to that July 10th release date. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
the complete rhythm thief premium event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f-sMDsq2JIA

amazing performance ..... love you Ohtani <3
So good.

Looks like Ohtani, Eguchi, Hataya, Tokoi, and Namba're on this.

This is so good, does anyone know if there's a soundtrack out anywhere?
Yes. It came out in February.

I'm not sure if it's on any import sites, but it's definitely on Amazon Japan (just note the flat rate shipping fee).

weeaboo

Eurobro here

Is it me or the controls are really bad and unresponsive? I'm having a lot of problems with most of the minigames. Maybe I suck at Rythm Games :\

OMG Aero

Eurobro here

Is it me or the controls are really bad and unresponsive? I'm having a lot of problems with most of the minigames. Maybe I suck at Rythm Games :\
Is it any type of minigame in particular?
The only minigame type I had problems with were the gyro controlled ones, I never had any problems with the touch screen or button games.

weeaboo

The only minigame type I had problems with were the gyro controlled ones, I never had any problems with the touch screen or button games.

touch screen ones are fine but the "control pad + buttons" minigames are killing me and with the second
napoleon minions fight
I started to notice weird control issues... or maybe I just suck at this game :D

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

The same for me.
Finished the main story. Pretty good game with very good characters and great music. Too many times, it feels to guided, though.

However
the ending makes me think there will be a sequel, for the hell of it! :D

weeaboo

And done. Hated some of the minigames (jesus christ @ R31) but overall a fun and very cute game.

0yjWs.png

Thank you Japan <3

Top Bottom