• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Thief |OT| Dancing into obscurity, now across the pacific!

Chopper

I'm picking up some 3DS games today and I'm kind of curious if this game is any good? Is it sorta like Ouendan, or more like a Layton game? I wish there was a demo for me to try...
Where are you? There is a demo on the EU and US stores. And generally it's much more like Layton than Ouendan. The games themselves are quite varied, but the game does tend to use Ouendan-style shrinking beat indicator rings, if that's your thing.

Repeated for new page: Buy this game. Don't just opt for Theatrhythm "instead" because it has FF music. It's fucking great. :)

MarkusRJR

Just played the demo and it was the funnest game I've played this year. I love rhythm games + Layton, it's like this game was made for me. I'm picking it up ASAP.

Etzer

Got it from Gamestop today, played through the first chapter and it's just as fun as I expected. A ton. On a bun.

I'm pretty sure the MSRP is $29.99 if it hasn't been stated.

NOW BACK TO TAPPING EVERYWHERE OH GOD IT'S LAYTON ALL OVER AGAIN

Also, the musical.
Great! Looks like I'm going to GameStop now. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a demo so much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Where are you? There is a demo on the EU and US stores. And generally it's much more like Layton than Ouendan. The games themselves are quite varied, but the game does tend to use Ouendan-style shrinking beat indicator rings, if that's your thing.

Repeated for new page: Buy this game. Don't just opt for Theatrhythm "instead" because it has FF music. It's fucking great. :)
Yep, the game doesn't need to be thrown into the pit.

I think the Ouendan-style beat indicator really helps in some cases, especially since I'm not familiar with the music (ie: I haven't listened to the full soundtrack yet!). I think it's more consistent musically than Theatrhythm because at least it stays on one beat and you sorta know what's coming up (even the warnings are in time with the music). Plus you can purchase little things that can affect the level you're about to play like:
-if you're about to get crushed, you can restore the E-rank bar to get another chance
-make it easier to get higher ratings easily
-make it easier to keep the beat and extend the rating gauge (extra defense, basically)
-you are only limited to the E-rank bar, and one hit and you're done.

Reiterating my love for Ohtani and Hataya here. <3

Check it:
Theme of Rhythm Thief (Ohtani)
Intrusion (Hataya)
Escape from the Police Department (Ohtani)
Day in Paris (Hataya)
Encounter with Marie (with Hijiri Kuwano on violin! <3)

Some kid also shows up with a football and thinks he's Pirlo or something since he tries to deliver PKs at your head. :lol

MarkusRJR

Holy shot, this game is awesome.

I just got home and played for an hour and a half. The production values were great for a portable game, and it was just really damn fun. It is pretty much Professor Layton but with rhythm games and sound puzzles instead of riddles and puzzles. Where the hell is the hype for this game though? There's like no talk about it even though it's really good. Hmph, GAF has failed me.

If the game continues to be this good throughout it'll definitely be my GOTY so far.

Chopper

Holy shot, this game is awesome.

I just got home and played for an hour and a half. The production values were great for a portable game, and it was just really damn fun. It is pretty much Professor Layton but with rhythm games and sound puzzles instead of riddles and puzzles. Where the hell is the hype for this game though? There's like no talk about it even though it's really good. Hmph, GAF has failed me.

If the game continues to be this good throughout it'll definitely be my GOTY so far.
Ha ha! Did you manage to discover the demo, play the demo, post your impressions, get to a shop, buy the full game, play for the past half an hour and post your impressions all in one day?

Forum move justified!

WHY AM I FINDING THIS DAMN FONDUE AND POODLE GAME SO HARD?!
I've been playing rhythm games all week and I'm not getting on so well with a select few games in this one, I don't feel into the rhythm most of the time, I feel more like i'm working from the visual cues too much. It's a good game but the scoring system is pretty bad, I could play like arse in a minigame and make a comeback to an A rank or I can ace the whole thing, bugger up at the end and end up on a D.

Bururian

Haven't bought it yet, but it will be purchased in the very near future. I played the demo to exhaustion, so I have no other way to play outside buying it now. It reminds me so much of old Sega when they used to make awesome games like Space Channel 5. Some of the stages remind me of that, in fact. It's so wonderful.

MarkusRJR

Ha ha! Did you manage to discover the demo, play the demo, post your impressions, get to a shop, buy the full game, play for the past half an hour and post your impressions all in one day?

Forum move justified!
Yup, I didn't know this game existed until today. I'm so pumped to play some more but my 3DS battery was about to die. My 3DS can't charge fast enough. :p

kadotsu

Banned
I'm picking up some 3DS games today and I'm kind of curious if this game is any good? Is it sorta like Ouendan, or more like a Layton game? I wish there was a demo for me to try...

I would describe it as a mix of Space Channel 5 and Layton. It's a nice little game but nothing special.

Chopper

WHY AM I FINDING THIS DAMN FONDUE AND POODLE GAME SO HARD?!
I've been playing rhythm games all week and I'm not getting on so well with a select few games in this one, I don't feel into the rhythm most of the time, I feel more like i'm working from the visual cues too much. It's a good game but the scoring system is pretty bad, I could play like arse in a minigame and make a comeback to an A rank or I can ace the whole thing, bugger up at the end and end up on a D.
This is true.

But I haven't had any problems with feeling the rhythm. In fact I found alot of the beat combinations totally ingenious.

My brain cannot comprehend the final section of the poodle minigame, it's halting my progression, I will not press onward until I thwart it's craftily placed final double button press segments that destroy all my previous efforts in one glorious cock up. I'm going to have to succumb to the item selling overlord, he's laughing right now, licking his lips at the prospect of having some of my up until now hoarded money.

Got my copy. I preordered it last week after playing the demo. I've been playing for about 40 minutes. I like it a lot so far.
I lost it at "famed Paris roller skating brigade

Drago

I want to try and get this by the end of the month... loved the demo.

Glad to hear that the game is excellent.

massoluk

Banned
Don't know how I miss this game launch, it has been on my radar for a looooooong time. Immediately hit Amazon and ordered it, thanks.

I loved the demo and what I have seen of it. I'm definitely getting this game. It really felt like the new Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents game for the 3DS library but even better with how the stories of each rhythm game tie into a one big adventure and the gameplay changes throughout each of them. Not to mention the adventure play in between. Pretty awesome stuff from directer Shun Nakamura at Sega. I see he worked on ChuChu Rocket and Samba de Amigo, loved those games.

Soul Beat

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and buy this game too.

I had a hard time deciding between this and Theatrhythm, but hey, why not get both, right?

Tyeforce

Exactly...
I was going to get both Rhythm Thief and Theatrhythm, along with Spirit Camera, during Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale this week, but Best Buy didn't have Rhythm Thief in stock. =/

I did pick up Rhythm Thief from GameStop, though, and oh boy am I loving it. Theatrhythm will have to wait, I guess. I can never get enough rhythm games, lol.

I'm guessing the StreetPass for this game will be pretty dead, though... =(

Chopper

I was going to get both Rhythm Thief and Theatrhythm, along with Spirit Camera, during Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale this week, but Best Buy didn't have Rhythm Thief in stock. =/

I did pick up Rhythm Thief from GameStop, though, and oh boy am I loving it. Theatrhythm will have to wait, I guess. I can never get enough rhythm games, lol.

I'm guessing the StreetPass for this game will be pretty dead, though... =(
I was wondered when you would pop up here. I saw you playing the other night. Pleased you're enjoying it. Yeah, Streetpass might well be dead. But if anyone can prove otherwise, it's you!

Tyeforce

I was wondered when you would pop up here. I saw you playing the other night. Pleased you're enjoying it. Yeah, Streetpass might well be dead. But if anyone can prove otherwise, it's you!
I'll do my part to raise awareness of this game among my StreetPass group and all my 3DS friends on Swapnote! lol

Cheska

Going to head out to pick up my preordered copy today, excited to dig in after spending time with Theatrhythm. How's the story? Is it interesting in any way?

Chopper

Going to head out to pick up my preordered copy today, excited to dig in after spending time with Theatrhythm. How's the story? Is it interesting in any way?
Yeah, it's quite alot of fun. I could elaborate, but spoilers. What is more exciting than the storyline itself is the presentation and the awesome cutscenes.

Vaati

Banned
After hearing that the exploration is Laytonesque I am sold on this game. Professor Layton is my favorite game series. Of course, I found the demo to be fantastic as well.

I was going to hold out on it for a while since I just got Theatrhythm and I don't have too much time to play that with my job but I may be tempted to get Rhythm Thief this weekend if I can find it.

Rhythm games are having quite the resurgence this year, huh?

IrishNinja

Tyer, if you don't mind my asking, where do you live? i'm having the exact same problem here in miami - it's in stock on the website but hasnt shipped to any locations, kinda pissing me off that they're leaving it out've the deal.

Boogiepop

I feel really bad about it, but for now Theatrhythm has "won out" over this game (damn limited funds!), but I still intend to pick this up when I get a chance. One thing I was wondering about, though: does it do much to allow for higher difficulty? Like increased difficulty modes, or hidden extra songs that'll pose a high challenge? I realize that the charm of the game will likely come more from the Layton-esque nature of things, but it'd be nice if I could find a meaty rhythm game here as well.

Tyeforce

Tyler, if you don't mind my asking, where do you live? i'm having the exact same problem here in miami - it's in stock on the website but hasnt shipped to any locations, kinda pissing me off that they're leaving it out've the deal.
I live in Arizona. I assume it's a nationwide issue. This has happened quite a few times with Best Buy. But with any luck, it might pop up within the next couple of days. Same thing happened with Pokémon Conquest. It looked like they wouldn't be getting the game until a week or two after the game came out (they didn't get it on the release date), but they ended up getting it in a few days after launch.

And it's Tye, not Tyler, but it's all good, lol.

olimpia84

Yeah I checked my Best Buy too but they are not carrying any copies (yet). Also, for some reason, they have it priced at $39.99 so it's probably better to get this game somewhere else.

IrishNinja

haha...my bad, i default on fight club, heh.

I live in Arizona. I assume it's a nationwide issue. This has happened quite a few times with Best Buy. But with any luck, it might pop up within the next couple of days. Same thing happened with Pokémon Conquest. It looked like they wouldn't be getting the game until a week or two after the game came out (they didn't get it on the release date), but they ended up getting it in a few days after launch.

okay, so maybe there's an outside shot that they get their shit together before saturday, that's good news. i just angrily emailed them anyway to see if exceptions could be made, so we'll see. i still don't get why i can buy it on the site & have it sent there, but can't order it from there and have it count towards the deal...good to know it's not just a conspiracy of them holding it out till the promo ends though.

Yeah I checked my Best Buy too but they are not carrying any copies (yet). Also, for some reason, they have it priced at $39.99 so it's probably better to get this game somewhere else.

this is also true, given that it's already $10 cheaper at amazon, but...im okay with $80 for this + theaterhythm if i can swing Last Story for $10 in a few weeks, heh.

Tyeforce

Yeah, it's silly that they have it for $40 when everywhere else has it for $30. Though, in my case, I was going to use the buy 2 get 1 free sale with it and two other $40 3DS games, so even if it was $30 I wouldn't be saving any extra since it would have came off free regardless. =P

I tried the demo of this today, and.... well, the first two demo levels were fun. The third (where you use the D-pad) feels unresponsive sometimes. I'll press the D-pad and it won't register or something, and then I get a "miss." Of course then my score tumbles in that boss battle and I get a "D" score. I tried it several times and it would keep doing it.

Videoneon

Ordered off of Amazon. Damn thing isn't going to get here before this weekend. Fuck.

I really liked the demo, and the general style of the game.

Cheska

I tried the demo of this today, and.... well, the first two demo levels were fun. The third (where you use the D-pad) feels unresponsive sometimes. I'll press the D-pad and it won't register or something, and then I get a "miss." Of course then my score tumbles in that boss battle and I get a "D" score. I tried it several times and it would keep doing it.

I had trouble with that particular event too. Everything else has been a blast, but there has been some unresponsive sections :(

M-PG71C

Got it today, Amazon was a bit slow in shipping it to me sadly enough. I can't get enough of it, the demo totally sold me on it. No regrets.

And frankly, this thread needs a bump. Damnit GAF, buy this fucking game.

Played for a couple hours last night. Good Layton feel by tapping everything (although I wish you could tap faster than they let you).

I couldnt get the rhythm for the soccer kicking game at all.

sfried

Loving this game so far. At Chapter 2 although I might have missed talking to some pedestrians close to the end of Chapter 1. Can I still talk to them?

Chopper

Loving this game so far. At Chapter 2 although I might have missed talking to some pedestrians close to the end of Chapter 1. Can I still talk to them?
Yes. You'll see the same characaters pop up throughout the game. And any minigame you might have missed through not talking to citizens should become available for you to buy in the shop anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just finished Chapter 5.

Raph's got swag~ And he's a bit of a nice guy too. I'm liking the story in this game.

The rhythm games I generally seem to have issues with are the gyro ones (tilting left and right is not a problem; tilting up seems to be a bit of a problem), and some of the button-press ones. I don't think it's my 3DS because the buttons aren't stiff or anything and they work well with other games. But since some people are having issues with the buttons, I don't think it's just me.

The game is still pretty darn good, though. The tapping minigames are fine to me, especially if you pay attention to the character animations or the red indicator closing in on the prompt. The one where you have to kick the football to the kid who thinks he's Zizou or something gets harder cuz the music cuts out at points, and being familiar with the song is beneficial.

Music is still extra-good.

ShadiWulf

I don't like the point and click exploration, I really wasn't expecting that, I never saw it in any videos, but other then that, I love the game. The rhythm games and story are amazing.

Top Bottom