• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Thief |OT| Dancing into obscurity, now across the pacific!

Ugh my curent paycheck is like a week late in coming. I really want to snag this

I don't know if you're in America or not, but if you are, then it's still not out here yet.

It's kind of upsetting. I mean, it's out everywhere else...

Okay, I get it. I now know how Europeans and Australians feel. Can you pleeeease end my punishment now?

Excited for this. I'll be on my honeymoon when it releases, but I'll hopefully be picking it up shortly after I return (depending on how broke I am).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I won't let this one disappear. :)

More coming for Rhythm Thief soon - crazy/fun ideas in the works right now.

Thank you based Sega. You're still not forgiven for dropping Platinum, though. ;)

Rhythm Thief 2 plz~

Or a new IP. Or RT2. Either or.

If this game were made available on the eshop I would download it right now.

Hopefully Sega is one of the partners on-board for the retail-on-eShop launch in August.

Boken

Banned
Looks like bombed in Australia, on sale for 28 down from 70 atm at EB games
had to pick it up for that price, pretty impressive :D

Done 3 mini games so far, loved the first dance game.. not so much the next 2

Thanks for this, going to buy it ASAP!

Rhythm Thief iOS game isnt it D:

Chunky

Loved Rhthm Thief. Sega's situation withstanding, I hope something else is in the works, especially after that ending...

Please don't fill me with false hope. ›.› ‹.‹

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ruby talked about crazy ideas for Rhythm Thief, right?
I'm calling it: exclusive character for Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing Transformed 3DS SKU.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Ah, I should clarify - I'm talking ideas on how to promote the game here for the US launch. :)

Techno - as they mentioned, it's not out just yet unless you're in the UK/Japan. US release date is July 10th.

OMG Aero

The Rhythm Thief soundtrack is now available to buy on iTunes in "many countries" according to Sega with the US release on August 13th, which I guess is probably a good thing since music is kind of a spoiler for a rhythm game.
The annoying thing is that it's split into three different albums. It would be nice if there was one big compilation with a small discount instead of having to buy them all separately.

matmanx1

Don't know if it's been posted anywhere else but Amazon.com has Rhythm Thief on pre-order right now for $29.99. For that price, I'm in.

Don't know if it's been posted anywhere else but Amazon.com has Rhythm Thief on pre-order right now for $29.99. For that price, I'm in.

Oh, neat. I had preordered it at full price back in April but my order is showing at $29.96 right now. Yay Pre-Order Price Guarantee!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can we discuss the demo in here?

The demo was really good, and seemed to have covered the game's bases. You have a boss fight, a stealth thing, and a dance routine. Some of it is a little odd, but otherwise, it was pretty good... and I love the art/character design.

It made me happy that I made the move to import the soundtrack. Hijiri Kuwano (the violinist you hear most often in Hamauzu's pieces) did violin work on it. It's mostly a Sonic Team-like project, though, since a lot of the Sonic Team composers are on it like Hataya, Ohtani, Eguchi, Namba, and Tokoi worked on the album (whether through composition or performance).

This poor game, getting released the week after the more popular Theatrhythm. :(

Chopper

Just spent an hour or so with this. First impressions are that the presentation and the soundtrack are fucking fantastic! The cut scenes are amazing, and the rhythm gameplay in the four games I played was spot-on. Wandering around Paris, tapping the scenery for medals, I could probably do without, but generally I'm pretty much excited about cracking on with this. Great stuff.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Glad you guys are enjoying the demo!

As to that -other- Rhythm game which just came out, well - we'll just have to try and outdo them, I suppose. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just played the demo of this.

Am I alone in thinking this is a spritual successor to Space Channel 5?

So after waiting and waiting for what I expected to be an inevitable UK price drop i've decided screw it and have purchased this game for full price, be thankful Sega.
I got it as birthday present for myself but does this mean I should do the honourable thing and wait until monday to play it? oh decisions, decisions....
You know that's probably not going to happen, i'll dive in within the next hour.

Chopper

So after waiting and waiting for what I expected to be an inevitable UK price drop i've decided screw it and have purchased this game for full price, be thankful Sega.
I got it as birthday present for myself but does this mean I should do the honourable thing and wait until monday to play it? oh decisions, decisions....
You know that's probably not going to happen, i'll dive in within the next hour.
Woah, woah, woah. Your birthday's the 9th?! Dude, me too!

If you have it on your person, tuck in mate. It's fucking great. I'm loving it, but the difficulty has just ramped up for me at the 5 hour mark.

Having said that, Theatrhythm is my present to myself, and I aim to have this finished off before before tucking in to that on Monday!

Woah, woah, woah. Your birthday's the 9th?! Dude, me too!

If you have it on your person, tuck in mate. It's fucking great. I'm loving it, but the difficulty has just ramped up for me at the 5 hour mark.

Having said that, Theatrhythm is my present to myself, and I aim to have this finished off before before tucking in to that on Monday!

9th of July just got better, awesome!
I've just done chapter 1 and i'm getting a good feeling about this game, it really does give off the vibe of Professor Layton Rhythm edition which is no bad thing.
Also performing double duty with this and Theatrhythm, it makes for a great combo (hell i've got Rhythm Paradise on top of them as well, i'll leave this month with higher funk levels or something)

Chopper

I've just done chapter 1 and i'm getting a good feeling about this game, it really does give off the vibe of Professor Layton Rhythm edition which is no bad thing.
Also performing double duty with this and Theatrhythm, it makes for a great combo (hell i've got Rhythm Paradise on top of them as well, i'll leave this month with higher funk levels or something)
j9iV9.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, even if it's early, happy birthday guys. :)

So how does the game open? Was the demo representative of the game in general? I have to wonder about the exploration bits where you tap around for medals--as that seems quite Layton-esque.

RubyEclipse said:
Glad you guys are enjoying the demo!

As to that -other- Rhythm game which just came out, well - we'll just have to try and outdo them, I suppose. :)
Ruby--you're welcome to join us in the Sonic community thread any time you want. :)

As for Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief seems more story-based and slightly longer than Theatrhythm, so I feel like I'll get some mileage out of it, especially since it seems like it's more score-based than collectible-based (like Theatrhythm). I think there's room for both because they seem a little different, but I do think it's unfortunate that they're both being released so close to each other! :O

I think the art in this game is really darn good, though. I love how all of the characters animate in this.

Cheers, you can always prepare that cake in the Sonic Community thread, it's the gift everyone desires!

So how does the game open? Was the demo representative of the game in general? I have to wonder about the exploration bits where you tap around for medals--as that seems quite Layton-esque.
The game has done well from the start with varying between cutscenes, minigames and exploration segments. Specifically it kicks off with an introductory scene and then whisks you off to the first rhythm minigame and the exploration stuff follows which can include small puzzles. As the demo selection of games may have indicated each minigame is tied to the core plot it would seem.
I'm liking the art direction on characters quite a lot.

Chopper

Ha ha. Thanks man.

The tapping around for medals is exactly like Layton. It's a little bit stressful, cos someone at the beginning of the game said something about missing stuff for good, so I'm constantly tapping everything!

The exploration parts run very much in line with the storytelling and the game is split between action rhythm parts and trawling around the map tapping. As my owl-twin states, the characters and story are pretty much awesome throughout, and the cutscenes are fucking sweet. There is a pretty decent variety between the minigames too. I've just got to No. 35 and it feels as though only a couple of them have repeated. But yeah, you can expect to spend a fair amount of time "exploring". The rewards are more than worth the efforts though, as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm gonna buy the soundtrack. Such a cool soundtrack.

OMG Aero

The tapping around for medals is exactly like Layton. It's a little bit stressful, cos someone at the beginning of the game said something about missing stuff for good, so I'm constantly tapping everything!
I'm not sure if anything is actually permanently missable, I remember an NPC saying you can buy missed things at the shop.

Chopper

Just got credits. Absolutely loved every minute of it and worth every penny I paid. The production values really are sublime, and I'm afraid Theatrhythm will have to wait whilst I unlock all the post-game content.

dat sequel hint. I insist it is made.

OMG Aero

Just got credits. Absolutely loved every minute of it and worth every penny I paid. The production values really are sublime, and I'm afraid Theatrhythm will have to wait whilst I unlock all the post-game content.

dat sequel hint. I insist it is made.
Rhythm Thief's biggest crime is that
if a sequel never gets made then the ending is pretty shitty.

OMG Aero

To those who have finished it, where the fuck is the
wind-riding sound
?
Can you take a good guess at what the sound actually is? I have all the sounds in my recorder and it says their location, but not the description that the instrument guy tells you.

Chopper

Can you take a good guess at what the sound actually is? I have all the sounds in my recorder and it says their location, but not the description that the instrument guy tells you.
Sounds like a small propellor or something. Like a clicking whir...

OMG Aero

Sounds like a small propellor or something. Like a clicking whir...
There are only two things I can see that sound like propellers:
Lawn Mower - The Eiffel Tower
Airplane - Champs de Mars
Edit: Actually I just noticed that the master instrument option in the menu lists what the sounds are, so the two I just listed are the last two needed to finish it. If it isn't one of them you can just tell me what number sound it is for the instrument and I can tell you which one it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the impressions from earlier, guys. :)

Dancing into obscurity, indeed. We're in Community now, so I guess the thread is as good as dead.

I just got my copy now (along with Shinobi 3DS and Michael Jackson the Experience (DS ver--it was cheap and I figured why the heck not?). I think I'll use the Theatrhythm Stylus for this just because it has a grip and it feels much better than the regular 3DS stylus.

Fake Edit: Oooh, this comes with a Club Nintendo code.

That title theme is so good. Apparently that was composed by Ohtani? Menu theme sounds like it's out of Earthbound. Kinda wish we got something like the Rhythm Kaitou R: Koutei Napoleon no Isan Special Selection CD as a preorder bonus or something.

The animation's pretty good, as is the voicework. I wonder if this game's playable in French or has a French language setting? Probably not, eh?

Raphael and Fondue kind of remind me of Tintin et Milou at the beginning there. I won't comment on the demo stage because I already have, but I really like the character animation, and after Theatrhythm, it's kind of refreshing that the choreography sticks to the vocalist's melody than anything else. The demo level isn't difficult, though, so I wonder if it gets harder as the game progresses. It's very nice that you can redo rhythm games and stuff just from the menu.

Raphael's voice actor is really good. Who is he?

The exploration stuff is very reminiscent of Layton. Right down to the poking things around.

Chopper

There are only two things I can see that sound like propellers:
Lawn Mower - The Eiffel Tower
Airplane - Champs de Mars
Edit: Actually I just noticed that the master instrument option in the menu lists what the sounds are, so the two I just listed are the last two needed to finish it. If it isn't one of them you can just tell me what number sound it is for the instrument and I can tell you which one it is.
It was the
airplane
. Perfect, thanks mate. I'm still missing the "second-to-last" sound, and the 7th and 8th phantom notes. I've resigned to the fact that I won't get all these CDs, but I do want to do the
extra chapters

OMG Aero

Dancing into obscurity, indeed. We're in Community now, so I guess the thread is as good as dead.
Do you think it's worth getting in touch with a mod about that? This thread was posted at a really weird time.
The rules state that a thread is moved to community 1 month after release, but this game just came out in America. And this thread was posted on the 13th of May which was already past the month limit for the Japanese, European and Australian releases so I assume it was intended to be for the US launch when that was still undecided and/or being delayed.
It was the
airplane
. Perfect, thanks mate. I'm still missing the "second-to-last" sound, and the 7th and 8th phantom notes. I've resigned to the fact that I won't get all these CDs, but I do want to do the
extra chapters
Do you mean the second to last sound for the master instrument or in the list of all recorded sounds? And I'm afraid I can't help you with the phantom notes because the menu doesn't list their locations.

Chopper

The second to last of all the sounds. Next to the very last one (whistle?).

Edit: Never mind. Got it. It was a fart. :/

Got the last of the phantom notes too, just by having a tap-fest which took about 15 minutes. Still missing about 5 CDs though. I'm shocked by the lack of FAQs for this game kicking about.

Cbajd5

Got it from Gamestop today, played through the first chapter and it's just as fun as I expected. A ton. On a bun.

I'm pretty sure the MSRP is $29.99 if it hasn't been stated.

NOW BACK TO TAPPING EVERYWHERE OH GOD IT'S LAYTON ALL OVER AGAIN

Also, the musical.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We should probably have this moved over to Gaming for the NA launch, because it will be pretty overlooked here.

Amazon.ca had it for $29.99 ($39.99 MSRP in Canada), but they're not shipping my copy until Friday at best.

You mean Gaming forum, not OT I'm guessing.

You can always PM a mod!

Yes, indeed. I've been spending too much time in OT. :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We should probably have this moved over to OT for the NA launch, because it will be pretty overlooked here.

Amazon.ca had it for $29.99 ($39.99 MSRP in Canada), but they're not shipping my copy until Friday at best.

You mean Gaming forum, not OT I'm guessing.

You can always PM a mod!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gosh, this game is really good so far. It's not without its hiccups, but the story's rather interesting. This thread should be moved back to Gaming side since I think some people might be interested in it. I was kinda surprised it was moved over here, like, a day or two before it released in NA. :O

Anyway, I think it's pretty fun. There are a few things that I don't really like (ex: R07 where the arrows' directions should've probably been more obvious, and one of the gyro ones), but the music is so damn good. I completely expected it from the likes of Ohtani, Tokoi, etc. but I'm very impressed. It sorta makes me look forward to a new Sonic soundtrack.

I like the background art a lot, and the models in general, once again, are quite good. Sometimes the subtitles don't match what's being said, so I suppose that voicework was recorded before the script was fully edited? It's not a big thing since I'm not paying attention to what's going on on the bottom screen most of the time, though. Some of the jokes are played off of the French, and I'm glad Sega kept some of the French in (much like how AC does it). I just encountered a joke that plays off "toute suite/toute de suite" (in Quebec and around the French part of Ottawa, they drop the "de" sometimes; it depends on the region, really), and then it goes into the Anglicalization of it as "toot sweet".

So thumbs up to the localization crew so far.

IrishNinja

is anyone else having this issue? trying to get this game from Best Buy's B2G1 deal (along with Theaterhythm & a placeholder for Last Story!) and despite being out for a few days now, it's showing as not available at any locations near me.

ps Schala's review has me hyped!

Chopper

I like the background art a lot, and the models in general, once again, are quite good. Sometimes the subtitles don't match what's being said, so I suppose that voicework was recorded before the script was fully edited? It's not a big thing since I'm not paying attention to what's going on on the bottom screen most of the time, though. Some of the jokes are played off of the French, and I'm glad Sega kept some of the French in (much like how AC does it). I just encountered a joke that plays off "toute suite/toute de suite" (in Quebec and around the French part of Ottawa, they drop the "de" sometimes; it depends on the region, really), and then it goes into the Anglicalization of it as "toot sweet".

So thumbs up to the localization crew so far.
Yeah, I noticed a few places where the voice and subtitles don't quite match up. But it's pretty interesting and funny when it crops up. The localisation really is great though.

Did anyone have a word with a mod?

Did anyone have a word with a mod?

Apparently someone did, because we're back in Gaming now, complete with a thread title change.

Though I would argue the English version crossed the Atlantic to get here from Europe rather than the Pacific, but that's just nitpicking =p

My copy is out for delivery - knowing the delivery courier selected, it'll probably be thrown at the general direction of my front door within the hour. Won't be back to claim it until after work =/

Chopper

Apparently someone did, because we're back in Gaming now, complete with a thread title change.

Though I would argue the English version crossed the Atlantic to get here from Europe rather than the Pacific, but that's just nitpicking =p
I messaged EatChildren. Not very long ago! If this is your doing, thankyou man.

Also: Hey guys in the US. Buy this!

MarkusRJR

I'm picking up some 3DS games today and I'm kind of curious if this game is any good? Is it sorta like Ouendan, or more like a Layton game? I wish there was a demo for me to try...

Top Bottom