• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts (30 mins delay)

mocoworm

Yeah... ok. I can see this working out well. *FACEPALM*

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts - Iwata: "I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-07-nintendo-human-resources-must-approve-your-miiverse-posts << LINK FIXED

Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to appear.

This is because the social networking service will be actively moderated by Nintendo-employed "human resources" personnel.

Each message posted to Miiverse, displayed on the Wii U desktop and in specific areas in Wii U software, will need to be read and verified before it becomes visible.
Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said he thought a delay of half an hour when posting messages was fine.

"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.

"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."

But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.

Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

Vinci

Danish
Just have posts be friend-only. It's the obvious way around this. Stop trying to brute force everything, Nintendo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Best-of-breed practice for social content: Allow posts unmoderated, use content filters to automoderate posts deemed to be controversial, set up content filters to have 100 times more false positives than false negatives, remove content that gets through anyway.

Social

Why not just disable this for kids, age filter it. Predefined messages for kids, normal unmoderated for adults.

What is wrong with this company??

BD1

Banned
I don't see this as a big deal, as long as there is no delay in posts to or from people on your friends list.

Brinbe

oh my god, really now?
KuGsj.gif

Somnid

As soon as this thing takes off there's no way they'll be able to moderate it. How many million Swapnote messages did they say there were?

ElFly

Eh this is not intended as a competition for Facebook.

I am actually more worried about spoilers on it than bad language so I hope they are vigilant for it.

Sounds ok.

Pociask

So that whole thing about getting stuck in a game, and posting that you need help - that was a lie? The real process is, post that you're stuck, wait an indeterminate time until you say forget this, turn on your laptop and go to gamefaqs, and never use miiverse again?

Davey Cakes

It's too bad this sort of thing can't just be handled with parental controls. Then again, I can't think of anything that would truly prevent Miiverse abuse.

wrowa

30 minutes? That's an eternity in internet terms.

Just imagine that you want to ask a question like in they've shown in the Zombie trailer and then you have to wait 30 minutes until your question is being displayed to other people and then you have to wait an additional 30 minutes until you can see people's responses. :lol

ultron87

I guess in the realm of terrible menial jobs that wouldn't be that bad. You'd at least get to see a variety of horrible things.

So that whole thing about getting stuck in a game, and posting that you need help - that was a lie? The real process is, post that you're stuck, wait an indeterminate time until you say forget this, turn on your laptop and go to gamefaqs, and never use miiverse again?

Just imagine that you want to ask a question like in they've shown in the Zombie trailer and then you have to wait 30 minutes until your question is being displayed to other people and then you have to wait an additional 30 minutes until you can see people's responses. :lol
Yeah, this honestly seems like a good enough reason to hardly use these features to me.

The whole thing just strikes me as bizarre.

For public posts (nearly typed pubic...its a popular typo) I can see it being somewhat acceptable to stop penis appearing all over Animal Crossing and Pokepark but if I'm friends with someone it wold be nice to bypass the queue.

Plus there would be incentive for friending as in "see their posts as their made; not when they pass the moderation queue".

That said. They're going to make a profit employing these moderators...maybe they'll get fans to be moderators. You want Platinum status in Club Nintendo...spend 200 hours moderating Wiiverse...on top of getting the 600 coins of course.

jmdajr

Makes sense. I was already imaging the insane amount of comments on there. It would be like youtube.

How wonder how much that job pays. It must be depressing.

Jubern

No, that's different. We're talking about Miiverse here, the console bootup screen.

Pociask

Also, on another point - does anyone really think Nintendo is going to set up Miiverse data centers all over the world, to account for people in different time zones? Or that they'll have people working 24/7 to screen for penis jokes and spoiler?

I hate to be so down on Nintendo, but I'm thinking that posting will only be enabled 8-5 Japan time, with a break for lunch.

WHY CAN'T I JUST TELL THEM MY FUCKING AGE?

Better yet, leave the liability / responsibility with me... let me check a box which says I am happy for unmoderated content to be shown on my system.

IWATA said:
"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.

"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."

Oh doesn't this just say everything about where Nintendo is right now?

Top Bottom