• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts (30 mins delay)

pargonta

If this applies to sending friend requests or friend messages and invites, then lol.

edit: if it is only the MiiVerse 'Plaza' at startup, the very public messageboard, then I guess their intentions are sound.

Septimius

Today me and Dick erected a wooden treehouse! It's really huge and pretty!

Reminds me of American Dad, with the character Dick getting married, being a buzz-kill

"C'mon, gimme my old Dick back. Gimme the Dick I love! Give me the Dick I need!!" for a full on minute just to flip off the censor guys at Fox. What can they say? "The name Dick is not allowed"?

Zenaku

The promo vid for Miiverse showed someone getting a reply less than a minute after posting, so I'd imagine this is for the boot up screen, which shows Mii's and messages from people you don't know, as well as your friend list.

Last thing they want is a kid booting up to system to be greeted by a penis doodle from a random guy on the other side of the world.

Nintendo Network monthly fee incoming! :D And who comes up with this kind of mainly obsolete features that need a huge security/manforce structure around it to even function. I mean, just to see some mii's run around game icons flashing speech bubbles containing mainly smileyfaces and "lol i win" text content?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How is that going to work? :s
I mean they have employees that know: English, French, Italian, Hindu, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Swedish, Spanish ??

That cant scale well.

Somnid

So that whole thing about getting stuck in a game, and posting that you need help - that was a lie? The real process is, post that you're stuck, wait an indeterminate time until you say forget this, turn on your laptop and go to gamefaqs, and never use miiverse again?

I doubt it. I'm sure with people on your friends list they aren't going to bother because it's already a monumental task. This would at the very least be approval for public messages appearing in the home screen or on NSMBU's world map or failure screen because those have default consent to show messages.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, it being for the boot-up screen only (and not the entire communication system) makes a little more sense. I still wish there was another way, though.

Mondriaan

oh wow.

so basically Nintendo still does not get the Internet.

The Internet does include things like moderated Usenet newsgroups.

I can't see how they are going to make online free unless the moderators are mostly volunteers. Not that they would have trouble filling volunteer positions, but I think there would be a control/trust issue there.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, a realistic chance for a job at Nintendo for everyone!

And if everyone applies, they still won't have enough people for this

Honestly curious about how this will work in detail.

Oppo

Makes sense. I was already imaging the insane amount of comments on there. It would be like youtube.

YouTube comments with a sketching mechanism.

Yeah. They should just somehow ID kids vs adults (CC check or whatever), give the kids symbols/canned responses.

its like they really wanted to have the note-passing and drawing, but somehow without the ramifications.

I forget how Home handled this; i think you can only voice chat with friends?

Mondriaan said:
The Internet does include things like moderated Usenet newsgroups.
I think it's adorable that people still go to Usenet. Also, baaaaaad example of good user behaviour on the net, that one. ;)

KageZero

This is only about the mii boot screen. You will send your messages to friends normally and that "twitter" page that was shown in zombiu trailer will be normal as well.

lol

They just seem to fail grasping very basic ideas;

how about you put a parental lock into your system to show only approved messages?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is only about the mii boot screen. You will send your messages to friends normally and that "twitter" page that was shown in zombiu trailer will be normal as well.

If this will be how it works, then it's ok IMHO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Did they specify this would be the case? I could understand leaving private messages unmoderated, but why moderate the main plaza and not the game specific ones? They're both public spaces so if you do one it seems inconsistent to not do the other.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well you can forget about Twitter and Facebook integration if they are going to do this.

Pociask

Did they specify this would be the case? I could understand leaving private messages unmoderated, but why moderate the main plaza and not the game specific ones? They're both public spaces so if you do one it seems inconsistent to not do the other.

This. Nintendo has given every reason to believe the worst. I can see them allowing for unmoderated direct messaging with people on your friends list (we already got some conflicting confirmation that friend codes still exist in some form). But I can't see them saying, yeah, we'll moderate the boot up screen so that pictures of dicks don't show up next to NSMBU, but once you start playing NSMBU, it's all dicks, all the time.

glaurung

Oh man, this one made me laugh. 30m to wait for your tweet-like messages to appear? Human moderated censorship? What is N thinking?

I can imagine it now.
  • Comment rejected - too many consonants.
  • Comment rejected - Your Mii avatar is too fat.
  • Comment rejected - You are not funny enough.
  • Comment rejected - I hate my job.
  • Comment rejected - Please kill me.

jmdajr

Nintendo needs to stop pretending they are for everyone. I would be perfectly fine if they were straight up for family entertainment. It's cool, there is nothing wrong with that. But this.... well it doesn't jive. I understand why they have to do it, but come on now.

tkscz

It's not like we don't know why they are doing this. Nintendo can't even think about leaving their family friendly image without being sued by angry parents. Just think if a parent saw their 8 year old bring up the message boards and drawings of and the word penis was everywhere.

Derrick01

Banned
Nintendo really needs to hire some western tech people to teach them how the internet in 2012 works. They obviously have no clue over there.

Best-of-breed practice for social content: Allow posts unmoderated, use content filters to automoderate posts deemed to be controversial, set up content filters to have 100 times more false positives than false negatives, remove content that gets through anyway.
They are just more conservative than that:

The first is content filtering, which will be done with software that can scan for naughty words.

Secondly, because gamers can be creative with alternative spellings, the company also plans to use "human resources" and will hire people to monitor Miiverse. 
The third protection will be the community itself, as users will be able to flag inappropriate content.

I think they are just going to make that 100 times more false positives to 1000 and then see if there's something which can get passed.

jmdajr

It's not like we don't know why they are doing this. Nintendo can't even think about leaving their family friendly image without being sued by angry parents. Just think if a parent saw their 8 year old bring up the message boards and drawings of and the word penis was everywhere.

Absolutely. But stop pretending you are for hardcore gamers. They might as well not sell m-rated games.

zroid

Banned
we're really going to need some clarification on this soon. also, OP, could you fix your link please >.>

Top Bottom