• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts (30 mins delay)

It's not like we don't know why they are doing this. Nintendo can't even think about leaving their family friendly image without being sued by angry parents. Just think if a parent saw their 8 year old bring up the message boards and drawings of and the word penis was everywhere.

Parental controls and/or good parenting should be the moderation method.

Somnid

Just so we're clear there is no automated system that prevents spoilers and that was one of the tasks they brought upon themselves. I was curious about how they would do that myself.

Is it only for the bootscreen thing or this also for the twitter thing ?

FFS let me enter my age and do not filter my friends like fipnote.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This only applies to the home screen and broadly shared messages guys. Is not that hard to implement. Once several minutes a human resources person chooses a random message from the ones sent and post it if it isn't offensive. That same message appears for everyone (or a big subset of) who refreshes the home screen in that time interval.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GAF overreaction.

I completely agree with what they're doing and see nothing wrong with it.

When Nintendo showed this system earlier, everyone screamed about how everyone would be posting spoilers.

Now, Nintendo has a way to prevent that AND eliminate the juvenile penis drawings (which you know will be rampant) and people complain.

remist

This only applies to the home screen messages guys. Is not that hard to implement. Once several minutes a human resources person chooses a random message form the ones sent and post it if it isn't offensive. That same message appears for everyone who refreshes the home screen in that time interval.

This is only about the mii boot screen. You will send your messages to friends normally and that "twitter" page that was shown in zombiu trailer will be normal as well.

I thought the Miiverse was the whole "suite of Wii U social functions" including the tip stuff. I like to see where they confirmed the zombiu stuff was not part of the miiverse.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You know, considering the experiences I've had on Live and PSN games playing with other people, I'm kinda for this. I now stay away from most online games or games with online features because I can't stand all of the 12 year old mentality screams, racial slurs, sexist crap, and other juvenile behavior I seem to constantly encounter in online games.

So I'm completely okay with this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's not like we don't know why they are doing this. Nintendo can't even think about leaving their family friendly image without being sued by angry parents. Just think if a parent saw their 8 year old bring up the message boards and drawings of and the word penis was everywhere.

I saw more smut than i wanted in swapnote. And that was actual photos.

After that I was glad to hear that it appears general media sharing won't be allowed in miiverse, just game screenshots specifically.

Moderation of every post for text and doodles seems a bit OTT though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
going to spend all my time spamming Mother 3 posts

This is where I have an issue with the system. My guess is that Nintendo would take these down.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the Miiverse was the whole "suite of Wii U social functions" including the tip stuff. I like to see were they confirmed the zombiu stuff was not part of the miiverse.

I edited my post to "This only applies to the home screen and broadly shared messages." So, broadly shared tips.

pakkit

Banned
A social network tailored towards children, with human moderation. It actually sounds pretty swell if you're buying the WiiU for the family.

Plinko

I guess they're keeping their expectations for WiiU sales down nice and low.

Actually, they're trying to appeal to families, in which case this would be a huge selling point.

Dead Man

Eh this is not intended as a competition for Facebook.

I am actually more worried about spoilers on it than bad language so I hope they are vigilant for it.

Sounds ok.

Are they only talking game spoilers? If not, for a human to be able to block spoilers, they must know all the spoilers, so they will have to be up to date on all of pop culture. Good luck.

Donnie

This was really the only way to go if you're going to allow posts to be shown on people's WiiU desktop and during games. You can't have drawings of penis's ect apearing on people's desktops or while they're playing Mario ect and I don't think a filter would work with both txt and drawings. Obviously private messages won't be effected.

Jackano

"Nintendo employees" will likely be hundreds of indians mechanical turk workers.

Even so, no I'm sorry Satoru, but 30 minutes is not acceptable when you are talking about a somewhat social network. By those days, 30 minutes means forever.
You should have searching for some good technology analysing the messages, this kind of thing exists now even if not perfect.

Somnid

Are they only talking game spoilers? If not, for a human to be able to block spoilers, they must know all the spoilers, so they will have to be up to date on all of pop culture. Good luck.

Game spoilers probably. I don't think they care if someone spoils Prometheus but if people complain they'll probably take it down.

Future

Yeah figured. Nintendo wasn't about to be home to typical YouTube comments. I still feel that the fear of the ban hammer would be enough to ward off most posts. Similar to GAF, if someone goes off the deep end he gets sacked end of story.

v1oz

What so you cant use swear words on Nintendo's social network?

That's censorship isn't it? Even Twitter allows you write anything and post anything. So its not going to work.

Plinko

What so you cant sue swear words on Nintendo's social network?

That's censorship isn't it? Even Twitter allows you write anything and post anything. So its not going to work.

It's their private network that nobody is requiring you to use.

Christine

I kind of expected this would happen when I saw the Nintendo Direct. It's weird and stupid but ultimately not that important in and of itself. What really matters is whether or not Nintendo creates a sane contact/invite framework and some genuinely useful tools for private and per-match communication.

OR

I congratulate Nintendo on their efforts to spur job creation in a troubled world economy.

So every message I sent will get the official Seal of Quality?

IZmrB.jpg

What so you cant sue swear words on Nintendo's social network?

You can self-censor Twitter, i.e. only comments from people I follow show up on my timeline, which would be a sensible way to handle this. On something like YouTube, I'm subjected to a much broader segment of humanity. Much.

Game spoilers probably. I don't think they care if someone spoils Prometheus but if people complain they'll probably take it down.

Is every Nintendo employee going to know every possible spoiler for say, Skyrim, Mass Effect, or Final Fantasy? No one can prevent spoilers on the internet with that much content to cover.

Top Bottom