• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the PSP, PS3, and now the PSV, what reason do you think the OS footprint of the PS4 will be small? There is no logical reason to assume this.

You also have to keep it in mind that Sony will be chasing the same multimedia features that MS, Apple, and Google are chasing.

We'll be lucky if the OS in these systems take less than 200MB IMO.

Edit:

Also why is everyone assuming the PS3 OS takes 50MB?

There were some news items about it a while back.

Original source appears to be this presentation, page 28.

http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/acgirussia/Hardware_Overview_ACGI_09.pdf

Apparently the OS uses 7MB of the video RAM and 43MB of the system RAM.

USC-fan

Banned
The OS will definitely start off around 256 MB, just like Vita. PS4 is going to have to compete in non-gaming features with Durango, Apple, Google, etc, the OS needs to be able to do a lot and stay responsive.
vita is reserved is unknown but we know its under 90mb.

After the PSP, PS3, and now the PSV, what reason do you think the OS footprint of the PS4 will be small? There is no logical reason to assume this.

You also have to keep it in mind that Sony will be chasing the same multimedia features that MS, Apple, and Google are chasing.

Edit:

I sure don't understand you statement since every PS os has been under 90mb.

Ps3 is reserve is know. We are not guessing.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Edit:

Were not assuming, it was in Sony documents that it takes up 43mb of System and 7mb of Video.

Beaten like a snail at a horse race.

The OS will definitely start off around 256 MB, just like Vita. PS4 is going to have to compete in non-gaming features with Durango, Apple, Google, etc, the OS needs to be able to do a lot and stay responsive.

Indeed, I imagine the PS4 is going to be like the Vita if not a bit more fluid with Ram to allow other things to run in the background.

KageMaru

Thanks, I remember that now. The OS takes more than that while playing a game IIRC.

Is it possible they could integrate another portion of the RAM specifically for the OS with PS4, on the SOC? Like a 2nd or 3rd pool of memory. A small amount like 128 to 256mb.

It looks like they want to go with a UMA this time. Using a separate pool would eliminate the cost advantages of going UMA.

No, every PS OS has not been under 90MB.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While we're talking about OS stuff, do Vita's trophies pop up faster? The delay on the PS3 ones in crazy sometimes, especially when compared to the Xbox achievement notices.

KageMaru

You are talking about ps3 game.

I think that's kinda his point. Higher resolution means larger framebuffer, which would take up more memory.

Edit:

Ps3 is 50mb and psvita is under 90mb. Ps2 didn't even have that much ram nor ps1.

Ps3 at launch reserved more ram but the os didn't use it so it was released to devs.

The OS on the PS3 used all the reserved memory at launch, and more since the OS works in a modular fashion. They just optimized it over time.

The PS1 and 2 didn't have an OS running in the background while gaming.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
While we're talking about OS stuff, do Vita's trophies pop up faster? The delay on the PS3 ones in crazy sometimes, especially when compared to the Xbox achievement notices.

Think so, I don't think I have noticed the same lag the PS3 gets with trophies popping up.

StevieP

Banned
Not sure what features you would want to add to triple the ram usage.

Sony's not as thorough in MS (with always on DVRs and 3gb of reserve and all that crap), but you can expect there to be a LOT of new features in the PS4 OS. That stuff takes up memory if it's meant to run as a resident piece of software.

Lol you don't have a clue. I was around before these console launch and you couldn't be more wrong. Nvidia had one gpu a 7900 gtx that could out match the rsx on paper. Xbox 360 was in a class of it own when it launch a year before ps3.

You just keep living up to your tag.

The features ATI incorporated into the 360's GPU (iirc MS called it "direct x9/10" - actually hang on I'll dig up the docs) or something were added to products that launched shortly after the 360. Regardless, top end rigs still ran Far Cry.

Here are the relevant pages from the MS doc in 2004:
microsoftspecsoverviejwd6c.png

microsoftspecsovervie2ver5.png

Uncharted Vita use over 400mb of system ram so it cannot use more than 90mb.

Your math is off based on the total amount of memory in Vita. If Uncharted uses that much the OS can easily

I think I should have been clearer. What I meant is how programs currently run on computers. Unless accessed the program resides only on HDD. Once it is, parts of the program relevant to its operation are loaded onto the system's RAM. I wonder if the same thing can be done with PS4 (or if the PS3 currently operates this way) with greater efficiency since iirc PSV does not have any other storage beside optional (well not really if you want to play games) proprietary storage meaning all the functionality is ON the system memory ALL the time (isn't it).

Also, how optimistic do you feel about Sony budging from that 2GB limit up to 4GB GDDR5?

I understand now. You're comparing two different types of programs in this case. It would still be similar to my previous scenario in that you're wanting background system tasks to only be loaded at certain points. They aren't the same as opening a browser, MS Office, etc.

And to your question, as optimistic as I feel there will be an increase in density. And we haven't even seen rumblings of that so far. There's still time though since it's only July.

Is it possible they could integrate another portion of the RAM specifically for the OS with PS4, on the SOC? Like a 2nd or 3rd pool of memory. A small amount like 128 to 256mb.

Sure, but now you're adding to the hardware costs. And in this case only for an OS that will hopefully reduce over time.

Another thought on Vita's memory. There is a real good chance that Vita's OS does take up 256mb. The slide in the developer powerpoint suggests this, though it isnt very clear. Besides the fact that some have said its very snappy and runs a lot of apps in the background, another reason is the Vita doesnt really need more than 384mb of total memory right now when it runs games at almost half the resolution as PS3. At some point a few years from now I could see it needing more and they may be able to optimize it significantly. Right now I dont know if theres any reason to, and it better they keep that cushion as they road map what they want to do with the OS feature wise. Remember PS3 didnt get cross game chat because they had already given that memory back to developers.

OK. And yeah the part at the end (cross game chatting) is an example of what I'm talking about, but wasn't clicking in my head earlier.

vita is reserved is unknown but we know its under 90mb.

I just said the PS3 started out at 120MB so not every PS OS has been under 90MB. And there's more info pointing to that being the case for Vita as well than Vita being under 90MB.

USC-fan

Banned
Your math is off based on the total amount of memory in Vita. If Uncharted uses that much the OS can easily.

I just said the PS3 started out at 120MB so not every PS OS has been under 90MB. And there's more info pointing to that being the case for Vita as well than Vita being under 90MB.

I didn't say total ram, I said system ram. Vram is in a different pool, just like ps3.

The reserved ram size started out at 120mb, I never seen anything about the os exact size until dev presentation was posted and it was 50mb.

Where is the info on vita ram? We have a long thread on beyond3d and the number I posted are about all we know. We have dev screen shots where it shows the ram usage for the game. I think the number was 423 or something like that of system ram. Under 90mb is the best guess until Sony tells us.

I didn't say total ram, I said system ram. Vram is in a different pool, just like ps3.

The reserved ram size started out at 120mb, I never seen anything about the os until dev presentation was posted and it was 50mb.

Where is the info on vita ram? We have a long thread on beyond3d and the number I posted are about all we know. We have dev screen shots where it shows the ram usage for the game. I think the number was 423 or something like that of system ram. Under 90mb is the best guess until Sony tells us.

I left an uncompleted sentence. If Uncharted uses that much the OS can easily surpass 90MB. That said...

Maaaan, now you're just trying to dance around it.

The OS on PS3 still used 120MB of the memory at one point. That's not under 90MB.

To jeff i just read the "Microsoft on first party support" thread.
And Phill spencer mentioned office 365 as a cloud example.

Could the xbox 365 just be a thin client(is it called like that,heard the term thrown in a cloud presentation) that will only use cloud gaming for current or next gen titles.

So you have a thin client something around the strength of a 360 that can run 360 games and other web stuff. But for next gen gaming it will use the cloud to stream the next gen games.

Hell maybe go full cloud for both 360 and next gen games and have just enough power to decode H.264 encoding and run the web based services on the back ground.

I just saw the correlation between the names because that design document is so old maybe xbox 365 was just a name given, to give it some context in the presentation. And because wikipedia says office 365 beta launched around October 2010 most of the executive should know what the 365 stands for.

Personally i think they will go with a Thin client able to run 360 games and use cloud for next gen games. It would be a nice gateway console something able to run 360 games and if you don't want to buy next gen console day one or year one you can just stream in those games like Gaikai.

I left an uncompleted sentence. If Uncharted uses that much the OS can easily surpass 90MB. That said...

Maaaan, now you're just trying to dance around it.

The OS on PS3 still used 120MB of the memory at one point. That's not under 90MB.

At launch it was 64MB system + 32MB video, where did you hear 120?

USC-fan

Banned
Everywhere and that the 96MB was a transition from the 120MB.

Yep you were correct.

SCEA's Patrick Seybold confirmed to the publication the change had been made. Seybold said, "Since the launch of the PS3, we have been continuously making efforts to reinforce our support system to game developers, allowing them to express their creativity freely on the PS3. As part of this support for game development, the size of the PS3 OS memory footprint has been reduced through network update for the game developers."

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if sony reserved 512MB RAM for the PS4 OS.

I'd love to have an OS that let's me browse facebook, twitter and PSN, listen to my music librabry without requiring me to shut down my game.

Takeshi Nozue, Creative Director and Senior Manager of Square Enix said that the next-gen systems will need a lot of RAM if they want games to run on the Luminous Engine on them. He further said that the size of the RAM is the biggest challenge especially when it comes to their high quality textures - like in the Agni Philosophy demo. Square Enix is however confident that console makers agree to this point and provide enough memory so the new consoles can display games like that.

Everywhere and that the 96MB was a transition from the 120MB.
Ok, I found the origin "everywhere" http://www.psuni.com/ps3-os-footprint-slashed-to-50mb-1798/ with this as source of the 50MB http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/acgirussia/Hardware_Overview_ACGI_09.pdf but no source of the "around 120MB". Part initial OS memory was only reserved "for future features" and never used. They cut it down with optimization, feature cut and making some features optional with additional memory requirements.

If they reserve memory for apps in the PS4 like in the vita I hope that if you aren't using any app while playing a game the memory is used for data cache to reduce loading times. Loading times are horrible this generation and may only get worse if they give lots of memory to the developers in the next.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Separate ram for the OS could be an option. If Sony want UMA it's for game performance. OS tasks don't need speed and would be fine with a cheap ram pool. Architecturally more complex, but then it'd free up more usable expensive GDDR5 for games. Seems a waste to use 1/8 of that for the OS

J-Rzez

I love these PC build examples that don't include operating systems or accessories.

Happens all the time. "Uh, you can just get a free copy of an OS from college duh". They'll also leave out a decent enough monitor as well as accessories like a KB/M. All you'd have is a box that turns on to a splash screen that you can't see because you don't have a monitor.

Lulubop

Happens all the time. "Uh, you can just get a free copy of an OS from college duh". They'll also leave out a decent enough monitor as well as accessories like a KB/M. All you'd have is a box that turns on to a splash screen that you can't see because you don't have a monitor.

I guess we should include a TV with a console then right?

squidyj

unless you already have a display device like... a TV. I haven't bought a console in a while but insofar as I can recall the cost of a television isn't exactly included in the console purchase, is it?

I'd seriously stop and think about what the Microsoft Xbox 720 powerpoint says about the target hardware for the Xbox 720. Then assume Microsoft will release it when it's possible which looks like 2013 with a SOC.

SOC or System On a Chip to be economically practical which AMD says is coming in 2014 and like Car models a 2014 model sells late 2013. Further a SOC in 2014 is the start of "Custom" SOCs for partners. Till that point it's APUs and SOCs designed for PCs.

So a PS4 will be a SOC with as much as can be packed into it as is possible. Heat/physics is going to be the primary limit. Complexity (massive number of shaders etc.) of GPU causing yield issues and high price can be solved by splitting the GPU into 2 parts, pre-testing and 2.5D assembly in the SOC.

I can't believe that the discussions in this thread don't reference the Xbox powerpoint. Both Microsoft and Sony are targeting the same audience in the same way, they want their Game consoles as the "only Does Everything" "all-in-one" "everything you need" for a TOTAL living room experience.

And here is where I loose it as far as discussions in this thread; given the above and that AMD is making not only the GPU but Southbridge and ALL support hardware except possibly a CPU and have the same "PLANS" to target the same audience and if the SOCs for Xbox 720 and PS4 are to be built in the same time frame they will be nearly identical at the very least.

Heat/physics for the SOCs can have more powerful CPUs but extra heat would require the GPU to be less powerful, more powerful GPU and CPUs power has to be downscaled. There is a mix of CPU + GPU in the CPU that will be optimum and AMD already has that figured. Since both Sony and Microsoft have the same target they should be identical given a SOC produced at the same time by AMD. Only if there is a second GPU outside the SOC could there be differences and GDDR5 memory be used. This is less efficient and will cost more. If this is the case then a future refresh would move the second GPU inside the SOC to reduce costs. The release design should reflect/ insure the possibility of such a refresh.

And again the Xbox 361 and Xbox 720 will support XTV and have HDMI pass-thru, Microsoft expects Sony to provide Google TV support for the PS4 which in an external box requires HDMI pass-thru. Since AMD is making the GPU that must have HDMI pass-thru, this will also be identical between Xbox 361, Xbox 720 and PS4.

I find it interesting that the Xbox powerpoint mentioned every competitor's platform for the living room (in timeline) but did not mention the PS3. Either they knew that Sony was not going to refresh the PS3 or it was deliberately left out of the presentation.

1) Case one; Sony not refreshing the PS3 The notes for the speaker have this: STRATEGY: Maximize PS3 lifecycle with 3D and BluRay. Leverage ecosystem.

2) Case two; Sony is refreshing the PS3,
If deliberately left out why???? Because they would have to tell their potential partners for the Xbox 361 SOC to be used in other third party platforms that Sony is doing the same.

A Xbox 361 with more memory, newer hardware, HDMI pass-thru, low power modes and a blu-ray player would be more attractive than a PS3 and would unbalance the market. I can not imagine that Sony would allow this. We have the Digitimes rumor, a users that says a new PS3 is coming and PS3 firmware 4.20 which has changes indicating SSD memory (may be a model without hard disk) and top loading blu-ray drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First, what sony/MS do with PS3/360 can run in parallel with PS4/720. If they are doing refreshes for cost savings/mass market push etc lovely. They can still launch a new console next year.

Second, even if both are using a SoC approach, doesn't mean they'll be mostly identical. If both were spending the same amount and using heat/power as a limiting factor, maybe. But perhaps one of them wants to spend more/less, or spend more in other areas like kinect/move/RAM? Too many variables to say they'll both be identical.

I'd seriously stop and think about what the Microsoft Xbox 720 powerpoint says about the target hardware for the Xbox 720. Then assume Microsoft will release it when it's possible which looks like 2013 with a SOC.

SOC or System On a Chip to be economically practical which AMD says is coming in 2014 and like Car models a 2014 model sells late 2013. Further a SOC in 2014 is the start of "Custom" SOCs for partners. Till that point it's APUs and SOCs designed for PCs.

So a PS4 will be a SOC with as much as can be packed into it as is possible. Heat/physics is going to be the primary limit. Complexity (massive number of shaders etc.) of GPU causing yield issues and high price can be solved by splitting the GPU into 2 parts, pre-testing and 2.5D assembly in the SOC.

I can't believe that the discussions in this thread don't reference the Xbox powerpoint. Both Microsoft and Sony are targeting the same audience in the same way, they want their Game consoles as the "only Does Everything" "all-in-one" "everything you need" for a TOTAL living room experience.

And here is where I loose it as far as discussions in this thread; given the above and that AMD is making not only the GPU but Southbridge and ALL support hardware except possibly a CPU and have the same "PLANS" to target the same audience and if the SOCs for Xbox 720 and PS4 are to be built in the same time frame they will be nearly identical at the very least.

Heat/physics for the SOCs can have more powerful CPUs but extra heat would require the GPU to be less powerful, more powerful GPU and CPUs power has to be downscaled. There is a mix of CPU + GPU in the CPU that will be optimum and AMD already has that figured. Since both Sony and Microsoft have the same target they should be identical given a SOC produced at the same time by AMD. Only if there is a second GPU outside the SOC could there be differences and GDDR5 memory be used. This is less efficient and will cost more. If this is the case then a future refresh would move the second GPU inside the SOC to reduce costs. The release design should reflect/ insure the possibility of such a refresh.

And again the Xbox 361 and Xbox 720 will support XTV and have HDMI pass-thru, Microsoft expects Sony to provide Google TV support for the PS4 which in an external box requires HDMI pass-thru. Since AMD is making the GPU that must have HDMI pass-thru, this will also be identical between Xbox 361, Xbox 720 and PS4.

I find it interesting that the Xbox powerpoint mentioned every competitor's platform for the living room (in timeline) but did not mention the PS3. Either they knew that Sony was not going to refresh the PS3 or it was deliberately left out of the presentation.

1) Case one; Sony not refreshing the PS3 The notes for the speaker have this: STRATEGY: Maximize PS3 lifecycle with 3D and BluRay. Leverage ecosystem.

2) Case two; Sony is refreshing the PS3,
If deliberately left out why???? Because they would have to tell their potential partners for the Xbox 361 SOC to be used in other third party platforms that Sony is doing the same.

A Xbox 361 with more memory, newer hardware, HDMI pass-thru, low power modes and a blu-ray player would be more attractive than a PS3 and would unbalance the market. I can not imagine that Sony would allow this. We have the Digitimes rumor, a users that says a new PS3 is coming and PS3 firmware 4.20 which has changes indicating SSD memory (may be a model without hard disk) and top loading blu-ray drive.

Is that your refresh http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481264 or just a little step between the real deal?

Is that your refresh http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481264 or just a little step between the real deal?
No this is a 4000 series not the old PS3 3000 series. Smaller case so it's got a smaller fan/heatsink if it even has a fan. Wireless G not N is troubling and most likely means everything is not in the SOC like handheld SOCs. Shoots a small hole in my speculation, all I/O doesn't have to be updated.

Newer smaller refresh is certain which means a SOC. It could still be a PS3.5, interesting they changed series number totally to "4". Using my often criticized number comparisons we are now at Firmware 4.20 and PS4 is coming soon and we have a 4000 series PS3. What could be different that MIGHT be similar to the PS4?

No this is a 4000 series not the old PS3 3000 series. Smaller case so it's got a smaller fan/heatsink if it even has a fan. Wireless G not N is troubling and most likely means everything is not in the SOC like handheld SOCs. Shoots a small hole in my speculation, all I/O doesn't have to be updated.

Newer smaller refresh is certain which means a SOC. It could still be a PS3.5, interesting they changed series number totally to "4". Using my often criticized number comparisons we are now at Firmware 4.20 and PS4 is coming soon and we have a 4000 series PS3. What could be different that MIGHT be similar to the PS4?

Wouldn't it be really bad marketing to launch a PS3 4000 model soon (don't know how long it takes from FCC link to retail) and then shortly afterwards launch your rumored PS 3.5?

Especially for a media center a smaller - even fan less box sounds better to me than a "full sized and loud" PS 3.5. In my eyes your XTV idea is either that new PS model or Sony skipped it.

I hope jeffs guess about PS4 having 3D stacked memory will be true. Dont know what it actually is, but sounds very futuristic, very Sony.

Wouldn't it be really bad marketing to launch a PS3 4000 model soon (don't know how long it takes from FCC link to retail) and then shortly afterwards launch your rumored PS 3.5?

Especially for a media center a smaller - even fan less box sounds better to me than a "full sized and loud" PS 3.5. In my eyes your XTV idea is either that new PS model or Sony skipped it.
PS3 3000 series moving to 4000 series SOC would be smaller, cheaper and use less power even if it's a PS3.5.

I expected PS3 Firmware 4.0 to be when the full browser with HTML5 <video> support and HTML5 apps on the XMB with Browser always loaded was released. We now know HTML5 <video>, WebMAF (HTML5 apps with IPC standards) and Playready DRM will be in the PS3 this year (probably after Sept) and that's what's needed to support my speculation as well as XTV. I didn't predict a HDMI pass-thru until after I discovered the Microsoft powerpoint and that Microsoft was going to support it on a refreshed Xbox 360, the Xbox 720 and they were predicting Sony would do it on the PS4. Is it a stretch to expect it on a Refreshed PS3 with a changed VERSION Model number to 4000 series. Further a HDMI pass-thru box with out a hard disk but including about 20 gigs or so of SSD flash for a Solid state drive is a logical choice for a XTV box not a game console.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
jeff_rigby said:

Remember the goal of this re-factor is to attain price-point above all else, both to compete with WiiU and to make space for PS4.

Timing of this suggests to me a very solid 2013 launch date for PS4.

KageMaru

The ps4 and 720 likely won't be SoC IMO.

That old powerpoint shows some ideas for a direction to take, but it's not something to reference on a technical level at all. It was a marketing PPT, not something an engineer had heavy involvement in.

This isn't going to happen. The reveal about the new ps3 slim basically debunks this theory of yours.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Separate ram for the OS could be an option. If Sony want UMA it's for game performance. OS tasks don't need speed and would be fine with a cheap ram pool. Architecturally more complex, but then it'd free up more usable expensive GDDR5 for games. Seems a waste to use 1/8 of that for the OS

I would love it if this happened. It would add to production costs but actually having a full pool of RAM to pull from would be nice for developers. It would also benefit early titles quite a bit. If there was just one pool and part of it was given to an overly RAM hungry OS, like the XMB originally was, some early games may have to cut features. This wouldn't be a problem with the OS having it's own RAM. I don't think it would happen, but it would be nice.

Ok, I found the origin "everywhere" http://www.psuni.com/ps3-os-footprint-slashed-to-50mb-1798/ with this as source of the 50MB http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/acgirussia/Hardware_Overview_ACGI_09.pdf but no source of the "around 120MB". Part initial OS memory was only reserved "for future features" and never used. They cut it down with optimization, feature cut and making some features optional with additional memory requirements.

If they reserve memory for apps in the PS4 like in the vita I hope that if you aren't using any app while playing a game the memory is used for data cache to reduce loading times. Loading times are horrible this generation and may only get worse if they give lots of memory to the developers in the next.

I didn't use one site to claim "everywhere". I wouldn't have said that if it was just from one site. Don't patronize me. Multiple sites showed that it started at 120MB. And we all know it was reduced through optimization so you don't have to explain it.

We have the Digitimes rumor, a users that says a new PS3 is coming and PS3 firmware 4.20 which has changes indicating SSD memory (may be a model without hard disk) and top loading blu-ray drive.

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/

Sorry but a Digitimes post from 12 months ago is not enough to convince me that Sony is making a PS3.5 in collaboration with Microsoft with their own Kinect like camera.

Nope, people tend to have a decent TV already, considering it's still more of a staple in houses than a decent monitor. Not a console warrior either, considering about 90% of my game time is on my gaming rig. Game.set.match.in.overtime.
That was how it was in my case. So when I built a gaming PC I hooked it up to my decent TV right alongside my PS3 and 360...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom