• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ground Branch PC/MAC tactical shooter - gameplay trailer

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9e7Er-4LDA

She ain't the prettiest but at least she has all the basic gameplay elements implemented.

dropoff1.jpg

stackup2.jpg

weaponcustomization.jpg

charactercustomization.jpg

General

■Squad based team play
■NO unlocks or kill streaks!
■Using latest version of industry leading Unreal Engine 3.0

Player view

■True First Person System 1.0 that gives no disconnect between what you see of yourself and what others see of you
■Correct and realistic first person weapon view
■Freelook style first person system. Players can look around independently of weapon

Weapons

■Tactical reload system with both loaded and “dry” reloads
■Each weapon has it’s own reload sequence
■Reload animations can be interrupted
■Empty mags fall to the ground and mags still containing rounds go back into pouch for later use
■Weapons collide with the world. Your weapon is truly in the world and will collide with objects in it. This means that weapon choice will actually matter as longer weapons might not be the best option to equip yourself with if operating in a CQB environment.
■Accurate and realistic weapon transitions. Main weapon falls to chest on sling while drawing secondary or special item
■Fully customizable weapons. Setup your weapons how you choose with various attachments that operate as they would in the real world
■Items used in game requires time to equip… no magical NVG turning on or grenade equip. Equipping items takes time
■Realistic representation of optics usage on weapons
■Various melee abilities including accurate portrayal of knife usage as well as muzzle jabs

Inventory and ammo

■Inventory system that has each magazine track rounds available
■Pickup and drop weapons on the battlefield
■Supported shooting with bipods
■Customizable character gear. What you take into battle is all you have and physically shows on your character
■Ability to share gear with others (carry more ammo for a buddy)
■Save and recall individual weapon/character customized loadouts

Movements and injuries

■Ability to accurately and realistically jump in game (see our NORG page)
■Ability to clamber onto and over objects
■Prone, crouch and stand postures
■Lean and peak system that includes a ‘step out’ ability to quickly step out from cover then back in
■Encumbrance system that takes weight and bulk of items into account for movement. Variations will not be drastic but noticeable. We are portraying highly skilled operators here
■Choose between uniform types and a variety of body armor and vests/harnesses, all with in game tradeoffs
■No regenerating health, but ability to administer first aid to non-lethal injuries for reduced combat effectiveness
■Players will have visible injuries including limps and non/reduced functional limbs
■Ability to stay in fight if non mobile from non-lethal wound

Game world and maps

■Material penetration
■Accurate but not overly complicated ballistics model including bullets originating from muzzle of weapon and lethal/accurate locational damage
■Doors that can be opened/closed at variable speed, kicked open (might take more than one kick) as well as breached with weapons or explosives
■Unique environments
■Areas in maps have multiple entry points
■Full featured Training ranges, including Killhouses with completely random target placement
■All enemies spawned and patrolling at start

Modding and multiplayer

■Full mod tools
■Full and free Dedicated Server support. Host a server wherever you want
■Full support for ladders
■User made arm patches
■In game VOIP with ability to set comm channels within team as well as mute options
■Full MP lobby system with pre/post game chat
■Private password protected lobbies/rooms
■After Action Review after each round
■Clan/Unit friendly
■Various adversarial and Co-op style MP game types available at launch
■Controller support on PC

Seems a shame that something like Serellan can reach their kickstarter when even now they're still looking at offices to rent and thinking of who they need to hire, whilst this has actual gamepaly as opposed to stolen photoshopped pics and is stuck at only 4 grand.

Sentenza

Yeah, not the prettiest FPS around, indeed, but if the game is going to be good it looks more than decent enough.

Raide

Loving that feature list but the game looks so damn dull graphically.

This.

I am sure it will have a hardcore and dedicated group of fans, especially those that have been moaning about the change in GR and Rainbow Six since the first game came out. I hope it works out but it looks old before its time. Maybe that reflects more on the length of time they have been trying to produce it.

HoosTrax

Loving that feature list but the game looks so damn dull graphically.
As I recall, the original Ghost Recon wasn't very impressive visually either. It had good-looking models for the time and realistic-looking animations, but other than that, it looked pretty dull as well.

Jackpot

Banned
Well, one of the developers of Ground Branch just posted this regarding similar project Takedown's bad launch:

http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2988-kris-on-kickstarter-and-the-release/?p=56417

Kickstarter is NOT a store.

When you supported the Takedown Kickstarter, you were supporting Serellan LLC.

Receiving a copy of the game or other rewards was a bonus.

"The release didn't go smoothly."

And?

Many large, well funded teams with years to create a title in have had worse launches then this.

Accept it and move on.

"But <insert rant/argument here>..."

Stop.

Christian, the team at Serellan and the pulishers at 505 Games are not sitting around, patting each other on the back while sipping champagne on a beach somewhere. They are fretting, sweating, swearing and, more importantly, working.

"Shutup, you're just a Takedown fanboi who <insert rant/argument here>..."

I am a supporter of Chrstian and his team. To me, that they could go from an idea to a released game in a year is something to be proud of. The fact that I was involved as Kickstarer supporter makes me kinda warm and fuzzy inside.

The game, not so much.

I uninstalled the current version after 30 minutes (or thereabouts) as I found it unplayable in its current form.

"Shutup, what do you know, I <insert profanity here> your mum!"

That's nice, could you ask her if its ok to visit later?
Thanks.

As for me, I am the coder on another tactical FPS title that is disheartened by the lack of support and general reactions he is seeing from people in regards to game developers, big and small.

Keep this ###### up and people like Christian, and dare I say it, me, will tell you all to go ###### yourself next time you whinge about there being no tactical FPS games or innovation left in gaming.

-Kris

Release terrible game - > tell consumers to "go fuck yourself, you whingers, or I'll take my ball and go home!" . Nice logic.

AHA-Lambda

I at least accepted his stance until the end when he basically said:

"stop whining or we'll take our ball and go home, like Phil Fish! Waahh!"

Wiktor

Hardcore niche and complex pcgames pretty much always launch in bad state unfortunatelly. That's just the way they are. It sucks and there's nothing wrong with complaing about it, but after dozens of such launches the drama should be scaled down a lot.
That said, with Takendown I suspect a lot of the problems came from insistence to do console version, which is pretty ironic considering they wanted to make a pc-styled game. Small team, small budget, short dev time and multiplat development = diseaster waiting to happen.

JohnJ

Neo Member
Hi guys,
I am John Sonedecker (the main guy on Ground Branch) and just wanted to address Kris's post about Takedown. He was talking from a personal perspective and not one of BlackFoot Studios. Those comments were directed towards the Kickstarter crowd that funded an ALPHA of Takedown. His motivations for the post were about those people and not those who purchased a retail release of the game and feel cheated. It isn't so much that he will take his ball and go home, but that the reaction of a lot of people to the release were so over the top to direct threats at the developers and calls for suing an indie company into the ground. These sorts of tirades only serve to make developers not want to continue.

I have been in game development since 1997 and for some reason over the past 3-4 years this sort of behavior has only gotten worse. We can take some abuse, but its getting out of hand. So hopefully that clarifies the impetus for his comments.

Coflash

Holy shit.

This is one of my shrines in my collection 1 | 2

This is fantastic news. I backed it when it was on KS, I asked to contribute more afterwards, and I just put $50 down for the Operator edition. I have been waiting YEARS for a decent tactical shooter like this ^_^

And yes, Takedown was an abomination.

The guys need some help spreading the word around. Also one of the main developers is a former Red Storm so I'm positive this game is going to be great. Every week they are going to start adding new updates for the operator edition version.

Top Bottom