• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

Reset trick?

Apparently (and keep in mind I haven't tried this myself), you get random pieces when you start a new clean system, including a bunch from the promo ones that were added which can include the pink pieces.

If it works, I'll just keep trying for the pink pieces I still need.

Robso

Just got a red one and blue one...( red for myself, other one for my son ).
Now for the transfer :D

Edit: does anyone know if the pouch/ case of a DSi XL fits for the 3DS XL?

CIMG5015.jpg

Can you take some pictures of the red if you have time please? I'm not sure which to go for between Red or Silver. Then again, Blue is also a possibility. :(

Chopper

I don't suppose anyone here knows what Game would offer me for an original, unboxed 360? i need to gather the funds for one of these things...

About screen protectors: I scratched my first 3DS pretty badly from playing Kid Icarus (a horizontal, pretty deep slice in the middle of the screen since you constantly have to readjust the camera in that game). I applied a screen protector but it looked awful, bubbles were hard to get rid of but worse, the touchscreen became a lot less responsive. I had to apply a lot more pressure for Kid Icarus to even notice I was swiping. So I took it off again |:

I now have a new 3DS (the first one had motherboard issues so I sent it in for repairs) and I've been playing Theatrhythm pretty manically without a screen protector. Yet the screen is still not scratched. I think it's because I now use a third-party DSi XL stylus. The tip is bigger and made out of plastic, it's a lot less sharp than the regular 3DS stylus.

But I guess I'm still going to trade it in for the 3DS XL, because the hinges of my regular 3DS are kind of loose, so the top screen flaps around when I move the system while playing... plus my HUEG hands could really use the added size for comfortable play.

Despite having "Out on Saturday! One day left to pre-order!" signs up around HMV here in Dublin, the 3DS was on sale today regardless!

I picked up the red one before work and it's really, really nice looking. I was on the fence with my colour choice, but I'm really glad I went for red now. The entire unit feels great, although I won't get a chance to test it out with games until this evening.

Robso

About screen protectors: I scratched my first 3DS pretty badly from playing Kid Icarus (a horizontal, pretty deep slice in the middle of the screen since you constantly have to readjust the camera in that game). I applied a screen protector but it looked awful, bubbles were hard to get rid of but worse, the touchscreen became a lot less responsive. I had to apply a lot more pressure for Kid Icarus to even notice I was swiping. So I took it off again |:

I now have a new 3DS (the first one had motherboard issues so I sent it in for repairs) and I've been playing Theatrhythm pretty manically without a screen protector. Yet the screen is still not scratched. I think it's because I now use a third-party DSi XL stylus. The tip is bigger and made out of plastic, it's a lot less sharp than the regular 3DS stylus.

But I guess I'm still going to trade it in for the 3DS XL, because the hinges of my regular 3DS are kind of loose, so the top screen flaps around when I move the system while playing... plus my HUEG hands could really use the added size for comfortable play.

My DS Lite had some scratches on the touch screen. Not hugely noticeable but I want my 3DS XL to have zero scratches on the screen so I hope I can adjust to screen protectors. I've never used them before.

Bumhead

Banned
Do you know if any stores are selling it now? Or is the trip to the three shops you mentioned in an earlier post a hopeful journey?

All hopeful journeys but im banking on at least one of them coming through. I'll update on which if any actually sell today. Sounds like HMV are though given the post above.

dyergram

Just picked mine up from game. Bloke in there did my head in with the pre order sales pitch and trying to sell me bundles which staggeringly included the 4gb sd card that comes with the console! Anyways console seems sexy and fits in the case I bought for my og ds!
e475f4d7.jpg

Blue looks even better in person, it's close to Sonic Blue so I'm a happy camper~

Though surprised Nintendo has flashed the XL with the original firmware, rather than providing it with the updated one out the box. Checked my system and can't see any scratches or imperfections, do have a "warm" top screen (I think? it's taking AGES to update), but I can live with that.

£25

Ouch

edit
Wait...it says they give £50 trade in for an HDMI 20gb 360? Oh snap. Mine's been sitting in the cupboard since I got my slim at Xmas. I'm gonna trade that in for sure.
Anyone know what they'll want? Will they want an HDMI cable or will the standard leads do? also do I need a controller?

If I can trade that in for £50 then I'll get a XL today for sure. wow.

Thats still better than the 15 euros my local gameshop gives me for a dslite. :/

Examined the XL at a local store today and it's gorgeous. I'm super short on money right now, so I wont buy one immediately, but I'll definitely upgrade at some point in the future. Maybe I'll buy a US one for import purposes..
The package is surprisingly small, though. I guess the missing charger does that.

Robso

Just picked mine up from game. Bloke in there did my head in with the pre order sales pitch and trying to sell me bundles which staggeringly included the 4gb sd card that comes with the console! Anyways console seems sexy and fits in the case I bought for my og ds!
e475f4d7.jpg

Can you take some photos of the console out the case please?

Also, that case is fantastic. I'd love one of those.

Hobohodo

I really need to find a case for my 3DS XL, refuse to take it anywhere otherwise. Been trying out Pokemon conquest on it in the stretched mode. May stick to this mode as the colours don't have that slightly washed out look they had on the original 3DS.

The fact that the 3DS XL is now out in non-U.S. territories is making the wait for the U.S. release so much harder. :(

the controls in KI scare me away as much great as the game looks

They shouldn't. Yeah, the controls take a little getting used to, but once you find a scheme that works for you, you'll adapt and improve in no time. I actually ended up forgoing the stylus in favor of an all-button control layout (Circle Pad to move Pit, face buttons to move the aiming reticle) and it made the game infinitely more enjoyable for me, as I could see and feel myself improve dramatically almost immediately.

Honestly, the game is so excellent that you shouldn't let the control stuff deter you. You'll be able to find a setup that works for you.

raiot

Just got a red one and blue one...( red for myself, other one for my son ).
Now for the transfer :D

Edit: does anyone know if the pouch/ case of a DSi XL fits for the 3DS XL?

CIMG5015.jpg

The 3DS XL is a bit smaller then the DSi XL so it should be ok. I took my DSi XL out of the carrying case and replaced it with the 3ds...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damnit...I transfered and most of the content ( amnassador games ) are still on my old 2GB card...wtf did I do wrong?

Wait it doesnt even transfer the data to the sd card ? Why does it take up to 30 minutes if there i no actual data transfer ? Weird...

-GJ-

Just got mine. They didn't have the charger with the cradle in stock, so I just bought the regular charger. I'm hoping Nintendo will sell the cradle without the charger soon so I can just buy it separately, because I really loved the 3DS cradle.

-GJ-

I just bought Pullblox/Pushmo and I have 9 more euro's to spend in the eShop. Are there any more essential games I should buy? I bought Dillon's Rolling Western on my original 3DS and it was pretty cool, but pretty dull at some points, so I'd rather buy something fresh now.

Is Mutant Mudds any good?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It transfers the data on the 3DS's then you're supposed to swap the SD cards over and then you're done.

So you`ll have to swap the card even if you already have a new one in the XL ? I`ll be tomorrow at the store and will have to transfer my data there - i hope everything works fine. After the swap i`ll be able to switch it with the 4GB 3DS XL one ?

Hi

Please can someone who has a 3ds xl try out SSFIV on it & let me know what the d-pad
is like. Are the special moves now easy to pull off? Can you pull off the charge characters supers?

So you`ll have to swap the card even if you already have a new one in the XL ? I`ll be tomorrow at the store and will have to transfer my data there - i hope everything works fine. After the swap i`ll be able to switch it with the 4GB 3DS XL one ?

No, cause all the downloaded games etc are still on the original 3DS's SD card, you'd be better off making a backup of your current 3DS's SD card on your computer before you do the transfer.

Robin64

I just bought Pullblox/Pushmo and I have 9 more euro's to spend in the eShop. Are there any more essential games I should buy? I bought Dillon's Rolling Western on my original 3DS and it was pretty cool, but pretty dull at some points, so I'd rather buy something fresh now.

Is Mutant Mudds any good?

VVVVVV is essential if you don't have it elsewhere.

-GJ-

VVVVVV is essential if you don't have it elsewhere.

Already have it on Mac. I think I'll go with Mutant Mudds :). I love old school platformers and I've already completed Mighty Switch Force on my original 3DS, so I'd rather get something fresh.

My Tesco order arrived first thing this morning (woke me up!)
Been playing all day, love it.
I was disappointed at first as my screen has the damn yellow tinge (my OG 3DS never) but after watching the promo plant 3D video and playing a load of Mario Kart I'm thinking the screens perhaps look better overall...? The colours certainly seem more vibrant.

I think the speakers on mine are defective. :(

When I play the flowers video that comes with it at max volume the speakers crackle like absolute fuck. Can't get it to do it with anything else but it's totally atrocious on that and I don't want it to come up again in the future. Think I'll have to send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom