• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III Is Coming for OUYA, Square Enix will bring more games as well

onQ123

Square Enix Japan has announced that they are going to release FINAL FANTASY III for Android based kickstarter console, OUYA. The release of the game is planned to happen simultaneously with the launch of OUYA in March 2013. Square Enix also stated that they will be providing more content for the console in the future.

Final Fantasy III will be fully optimized for OUYA and it will have a free downloadable demo.

http://squareportal.net/2012/07/31/final-fantasy-iii-is-coming-for-ouya/

Google translate of press release

Square Enix, for the game platform "OUYA" new
offer "Final Fantasy III"

(Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, President: Yoichi Wada headquarters), the platform for the game "OUYA" new Android OS SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. "Final Fantasy III" of, "OUYA" decided to provide a We plan to deliver in March 2013 simultaneously with the launch. In addition, we will also consider providing additional content for the "OUYA" in the future. "OUYA" is based on the Android OS, is a new platform game. To play the game using a controller connected to the TV, "OUYA" user are delivered in the private market is possible. For the Company to deliver "OUYA" first "Final Fantasy III" is the work of the first million seller was recorded as "Final Fantasy" series will be released as Famicom software in 1990. Appearance is optimized for, "OUYA" is this work are deployed in various terminals even after the release of an original work, has gained a reputation continues today, further, we also plan to deliver a free demo to coincide with release You.

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2012/html/a6d0b1becc688061928fe5b03e30c1c7.html

dc89

I've not really followed OUYA apart from what I've heard in pod-casts. I guess this is a good thing for it though.

Any other big franchises on board with it yet?

BriBri

Now this comes as a total surprise. I'm in the final dungeon of the Famicom game. I'm guessing there'll be no 2D option just like the DS/iOS version but still, great news for OUYA.

iavi

Its just the android port playable with a controller? Lol, and they actually gave this a PR.

E: ^its been available in the play market for weeks now...

gabbre

Square Enix announces that an Android game already available on the Play Store will be compatible with an Android-powered device

SHOCKING NEWS

Valentus

Well... the fact that Square-Enix makes a PR to announce a game for a very undergound console is surprising (even if the game already exists for android)

That means that OUYA is somehow not indiferent to big developers.

I don't get it, FF3 is already on android so I assume Ouya can already play it. does this news mean Square will prepare a different ouya optimized version of ff3?

TUROK

Isn't every Android game already available for Ouya? Or does this have some specific controller functionality with it?

HoodWinked

I don't get it, FF3 is already on android so I assume Ouya can already play it. does this news mean Square will prepare a different ouya optimized version of ff3?

gotta get those launch day sales then transitioning to zero support its the ubisoft strategy. i doubt too much work will go into it if at all. they have the android code so editing those config files shouldnt be much effort.

xxczx

I thought Ouya business model revolve around free-to-play model.
.. from the kickstarter page
When you say "free games," what does that mean exactly?

We want you to pay only for the games you love. A “free to play” model works when everyone (gamers and game makers) benefits from directly rewarding amazing games.

For gamers, every game will be free to play: what this means is that there will at least be a free demo, or you’ll be able to play the entirety of the game for free but may have access to additional items, upgrades, or other features that come at a cost.

Celine

Easy see it coming.
Poll asking what franchises you like to see on Ouya with Final Fantasy as an entry + Final Fantasy already on android.

No, this news mean than now the Ouya guys can pimp how they've already got big franchises like Final Fantasy on board.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Square supported NES: Number one console of the generation

Square supported SNES: Number one console of the generation

Square supported PS1: Number one console of the generation

Square supported PS2: Number one console of the generation

Square supports Ouya: ??????? You decide!

Sean

Banned

I haven't been following Ouya too closely but I assume any previously existing Android apps/games would need to add support for their controller.

vareon

Square supported NES: Number one console of the generation

Square supported SNES: Number one console of the generation

Square supported PS1: Number one console of the generation

Square supported PS2: Number one console of the generation

Square supports Ouya: ??????? You decide!

Wonderswan number one console of the generation confirmed.

Cartman86

Banned
If you root it you lose access to the Ouya store.

What was their reasoning for doing this? Piracy? Cheating? It can't be technical. You can root any Android device (Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, Phones etc) and still have access to the Google Play and Amazon stores...

xxczx

What was their reasoning for doing this? Piracy? Cheating? It can't be technical. You can root any Android device (Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, Phones etc) and still have access to the Google Play and Amazon stores...
To please developers? Android is already piracy heaven, releasing something like this into the market wouldn't be good otherwise, I guess.

DiscoJer

Anyway, while FF3 in of itself is underwhelming, the promise of other Squenix Android games is what is really interesting.

I mean, obviously they aren't going to roll out any AAA games for it, but they are producing a decent amount of Android games and hopefully they should make it to the Ouya. Not having a smartphone or tablet, and liking buttons, hopefully this way I'll get to play Final Fantasy Dimensions and Chaos Rings cheaply and with a controller. (I had been hoping the Vita would get Android ports, but apparently no one wants to even do that anymore)

And it could spur other developers to bring their games over.

Cartman86

Banned
To please developers? Android is already piracy heaven, releasing something like this into the market wouldn't be good otherwise, I guess.

Seems like an incredibly useless gesture. People will crack this instantly. The piracy argument on Android's validity is nebulous at best too.

Top Bottom