• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: ‘Team Ninja wants to work with Nintendo again’ – Hayashi

Nibel

Prepare for Team Ninja's destruction caused by MamaRobotnik

Metroid may make a return if Nintendo and Team Ninja figure out the best way forward for the series, Dead or Alive 5 director Yosuke Hayashi has told VG247.

We quizzed Hayashi on the matter of a Metroid: Other M sequel at gamescom, to which he replied “Unfortunately Metroid is kind of out of our league as it’s Nintendo’s game, but we’re still in close touch with co-creator Sakamoto-san, so we want to do something with him moving forward definitely. It really depends on what he wants to do with the game first.”

Source

Any Objections, GAF?

Danielsan

Please stay the hell away from Metroid Team Ninja.
Thanks.

Just let Retro make a 2D Metroid game. At this point they are one of the few studios that I trust with the franchise (even though Prime 3 wasn't that good).

I kinda want to give them a chance to redeem themselves without Sakamoto, but after they put giant heels on the zero suit I dunno

Also we have yet to see whether their improved NG3 is actually good

OMG Aero

We quizzed Hayashi on the matter of a Metroid: Other M sequel at gamescom, to which he replied “Unfortunately Metroid is kind of out of our league as it’s Nintendo’s game, but we’re still in close touch with co-creator Sakamoto-san, so we want to do something with him moving forward definitely. It really depends on what he wants to do with the game first.”
This is the real issue here.
Sakamoto was by far the biggest problem with Other M, not Team Ninja.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Team Ninja's involvement was the least of Other M's issues.

I wouldn't blame anyone specifically. The game had potential just all the ideas didn't translate so well on the finished product. Just like the same staff that made Super Mario Sunshine, on the second attempt they made Super Mario Galaxy.

Actually, from what I've read, all the awful things in Metroid Other M were Sakamoto. TN wanted to make it 2D afaik.

It was the other way around. Sakamoto wanted the game with a fixed 2D perspective. Hayashi pushed for 3D.

Rich!

Actually, from what I've read, all the awful things in Metroid Other M were Sakamoto. TN wanted to make it 2D afaik.

Yep. The core gameplay and mechanics were actually REALLY good, and could have contributed to an amazing traditional 2D metroid.

gabbre

09Rlk.gif

Neifirst

I'm currently playing Other M (about 6 hours in), and while I understand people's disappointment that it's not another Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, I still find it interesting and fun to play. Unless it gets way worse in the second half, I think the amount of hatred Other M gets is way over-the-top.

Haunted

Sure, I thought Other M was pretty great from a graphics, gameplay and design perspective.

Just let someone capable write dialogue and story next time. Preferably someone who's not terribly inexperienced at it. Some real proper talent please.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm okay with Team Ninja and Nintendo working on another game... But not Metroid.

Gambit

Please do it and show the world what should have been. Behind the baby and the linear paths, there is a concept worth improving upon. It would be like going from AssCreed 1 to 2.

Unless they get Platinum to make a "Vanquish-Metroid"

lol at people hating on Team NINJA, like they did something wrong. Let them do his own vision of Metroid without Sakamoto. At least it will be something better than Other M now that they know why NG3 failed.

Maybe it will be the first game with Samus only in her Zero Suit. Because now that Team Ninja finished perfecting breast physics with earth gravity, they need a new challenge: breast physics in space.

Rich!

The problem with it was that Sakamoto pushed it to be a sequel to Metroid Fusion, but emphasizing on the weakest parts of that game (handholding, forced story elements).

This resulted in what we ended up with.

Dascu

Story was horrid and the exploration wasn't as great as some other entries in the franchise, but I generally did enjoy Other M. So, if they want to make a sequel and if they can fix up some of the flaws and take the criticisms into account, then I'm all for it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
in b4... crap.

People should give Team Ninja a break from all the stupid criticism! Almost none of Other M's flaws had anything to do with them, and even those that did are easily reparable given the amount of feedback the game has received.

I for one welcome another collaboration, I'm sure everybody involved has had plenty of time to take all the criticisms into consideration. A Metroid that builds upon the foundation of the previous game while simultaneously addressing its many obvious flaws - which are just as obviously easy to fix - could be down right brilliant!

At least it would likely use the WiiU's gamepad so they could do more with the controls. I really didn't like Other M's combat (not to mention the first person view switching).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I loved Other M combat system, narrative approach and technically was great.
I didn't like the artstyle, the lack of lonely exploration, the lack of scanning system.
So, mixed feelings.

Game Guru

I'll accept this only if Sakamoto is pulled off the franchise.

Personally, just let the people at Retro Studios supervise it. They know Metroid more than either Sakamoto or Team Ninja. Given their experience with Donkey Kong, I'd love to see Retro try their hand at making a 2D Metroid.

May as well see if you can manage to kill the franchise even more.

I don't *hate* Other M but it was a pretty big blunder nonetheless. Team Ninja without Sakamoto's involvement might do better on a sequel.

Rich!

Wait.

I haven't got Other M installed to my USB hard drive right now - is there an Ocarina cheat code to disable cut scenes and dialogue entirely?

If so, I would actually play through it again.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just like the same staff that made Super Mario Sunshine, on the second attempt they made Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm currently playing Other M (about 6 hours in), and while I understand people's disappointment that it's not another Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, I still find it interesting and fun to play. Unless it gets way worse in the second half, I think the amount of hatred Other M gets is way over-the-top.

Please do it and show the world what should have been. Behind the baby and the linear paths, there is a concept worth improving upon. It would be like going from AssCreed 1 to 2.

Story was horrid and the exploration wasn't as great as some other entries in the franchise, but I generally did enjoy Other M. So, if they want to make a sequel and if they can fix up some of the flaws and take the criticisms into account, then I'm all for it.

THANK YOU GAF for restoring my faith!

Glass Rebel

This is 1:1 my opinion of the game. Luckily we won't have to bother with Wiiremote-only controls thanks to the Wii U pad.

KarmaCow

I don't blame Team Ninja for Other M but no thanks. I don't see how Team Ninja could improve any of Nintendo's IPs. Maybe they could do something interesting but I have no real reason to think they could.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Anyway, the only thing wrong with Other M was the wordiness of the script, and that wasn't Team Ninja's fault.[/QUOTE]

The wordiness or niche fan reaction of the script is a minute detail of the game that is a big deal through hyperbole on gaming forums. The faults of the game come more in the controls and mechanics which were piss poor. The problem came that Sakamoto wanted 2D mechanics, and Hayashi wanted 3D. The two men settled on a terrible compromise of the two ideas.

The cumbersome controls and lack of Metroid music is what really ruined the game. Any notion of a nonsensical story is quite customary in Japanese games and something we've always overlooked.

Top Bottom