• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: ‘Team Ninja wants to work with Nintendo again’ – Hayashi

Alfredo

Just keep Sakamoto away from it.

Though Other M was riddled with design flaws, and considering how they botched Ninja Gaiden 3, I'm not sure if I entirely trust Team Ninja, either.

I remember when Other M was first announced, I said I didn't think Team Ninja could pull it off.

People reassured me it was ok because Sakamoto was still involved.

Erethian

A franchise on the level of Metroid would be a good candidate for blooding younger Nintendo staff. Could have Sakamoto in a supervisor role instead.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
dude my thumbs up means the opposite, have you played the game?

lol :)

To be honest I wasn't sure for a second because of the awkward execution, so I looked up the original context the image was taken from and found it was a blog about the best Wii games of 2010 ;)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Team Ninja wasn't the problem with Other M, they brought their brand of smooth action gameplay and that was fine. All the problems came from Sakamoto, his characterisation of Samus was garbage.

El Sloth

Banned
One of my favorite parts of the series has always been the exploration and mood created by the environment and gameplay.

Can't say I'm all that excited for a sequel. Whatever helps gives us another 2D metroid I guess.

KevinCow

Banned
lol at people hating on Team NINJA, like they did something wrong. Let them do his own vision of Metroid without Sakamoto. At least it will be something better than Other M now that they know why NG3 failed.

I'm sure they'd be able to make something better than Other M. They'd have to try to make something worse.

But "At least better than Other M" isn't a standard the Metroid series should settle for. That's not remotely approaching the lofty standards that the series used to live by. This is a series with multiple legitimate best game ever contenders. This is a series with FIVE games rated at least 90 on GameRankings, and a sixth one just barely missing out by a tenth of a point - to clarify, that's every game released since Super Metroid except the DS games and Other M.

So while I'm certain much of the blame for Other M goes to Sakamoto, Metroid isn't a series you throw at the team who made the only bad game in the series for another shot (especially when Ninja Gaiden 3 is pretty universally maligned, and the DoA series has pretty much become a joke). That's how you kill the series.

To save the series, you have to step back, look at why all those previous games got such great scores, look at why Super Metroid and Metroid Prime frequently show up on best game ever lists, and work with a studio who's talented enough to recapture that.

AntMurda

Team Ninja wasn't the problem with Other M, they brought their brand of smooth action gameplay and that was fine. All the problems came from Sakamoto, his characterisation of Samus was garbage.

This makes zero sense. You are saying Other M gameplay was perfect its just the story that ruined the game? Since when has a Japanese story ruined any game. It's not even the worst offender. Try playing FF13. 40 hours of nonsensical story compared to 1.5.

Other M was a huge risk and it's not surprising they didn't get it fully right the first time. It's not anyone's fault particularly. You learn from the experience.

Maybe down the road, but they really need someone different to work with the series for one last Prime inspired game. We deserve at least one for Nintendo's first HD console so we can remember it fondly. They can make a 2D one afterwards if they want to.
I remember when Other M was first announced, I said I didn't think Team Ninja could pull it off.

People reassured me it was ok because Sakamoto was still involved.
Some folks tend to act like it's all good just because Nintendo sends some of their guys, but they make mistakes too. Sakamoto was the one responsible for a lot of the glaring issues people just can't get over. Team Ninja is fine. Sakamoto? Not so much....

1-UP

Banned
Hell no! Metroid: Other M sucked. Worst Metroid game ever. We want Metroid Prime 4 in HD, developed by Retro Studios.

Neff

Other M's only serious problems were the very silly, mostly boring, apathetic, disastrously loquacious, absurdly bloated self-indulgent story with endless unskippable (on your first playthrough) cutscenes, and at a stretch, the hunt the thimble scenes (which I personally had no problem with). On repeat plays, neither are a problem ever again.

A lesser flaw, and more a stupid oversight, is that the game never teaches you how to dodge in first person, even though you can do it from the very beginning, meaning countless players offered themselves as sitting ducks while aiming. Once you know how to do it, you're dangerous rather than doomed, and first person aiming becomes fun instead of intimidating. The 'authorisation' concept is ridiculous in terms of logic and immersion, but the distribution of the upgrades is worked into the controlled progress of the game classically and expertly.

Everything else about Other M was sublime. It did everything Metroid needs to, extremely well. It's catastrophically underrated and misunderstood.

Bruno MB

Nintendo can do whatever they want with Metroid, but one misstep more and the series is done.

Star Fox is a good example of this mismanagement.

Ushojax

This makes zero sense. You are saying Other M gameplay was perfect its just the story that ruined the game? Since when has a Japanese story ruined any game. It's not even the worst offender. Try playing FF13. 40 hours of nonsensical story compared to 1.5.

I don't think the gameplay was perfect, nor do I think the story ruined the game. I enjoyed the game overall. I just thought the writing was total drivel and the massive amount of dialogue and exposition was not something that Metroid needed, nor was Sakamoto's idiotic depiction of Samus.

tsab

Since most (if not all) of the problems of Other M was Sakamoto's and not Team Ninja's

scaled.php

How about a Samus Xtreme Strip Poker game?

I would only expect bouncy boob simulator Peach gaiden coming from them. I think they know their stuff but I would prefer if Nintendo IPs stayed away from them.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
how about they just start with remaking Metroid 2? you know, the only game in the series that is bordering on unplayable?

It would be a good way to get some more practice in, if they do choose to continue the series later on.

Ushojax

Nah, flick the Wiimote to the side as you're about to get hit.

edit: whoops too late

Yeah, there were a few oversights like this. It took me ages to work out WTF I was supposed to be doing with the power bombs towards the end in that creature's stomach, they tell you explicitly when you have a new power available except for that one time. The game just lacked the elegance of previous Metroids.

televator

I'd rather see Zombie Gunpei rise and take the Metroid franchise back to the grave before allowing Other M 2 to happen.

I can't believe people think gameplay wise Other M was okay. I wish that was the case. The story was just the nail on the coffin. That game was a colossal mess.

And please, stay the hell away from Metroid Team Ninja (and Sakamoto with a budget).

Nekki

I thought the game was okay mechanics wise, save for a few rough spots. If they polish them up, it could be a great game.

I thought the game was okay mechanics wise, save for a few rough spots. If they polish them up, it could be a great game.

Terrible dodge mechanics (leading to brain dead combat scenarios of mashing the d-pad), awful platforming mechanics, zero sense of exploration and discovery. These are more than just 'a few rough spots'. I mean this is Metroid we're talking about here, not some generic action game.

GlamFM

Banned
Great idea! I´m sure there is another franchise they can completely destroy.

How about the next Zelda?

AntMurda

I'd rather see Zombie Gunpei rise and take the Metroid franchise back to the grave before allowing Other M 2 to happen.

Sakamoto designed the original Metroid and Metroid 3. The only game Yokoi ever designed was Dr. Mario. Yokoi was a hardware genius, gadget inventor and team manager not a game designer.

Shion

Nintendo was about to hire Westone to make the ultimate 2D HD Metroid but then they saw your post and realised you're right so now they're not going to.
I see what you did there:p

OK then, 3D Metroid games should stay away from Japanese developers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo can do whatever they want with Metroid, but one misstep more and the series is done.

Star Fox is a good example of this mismanagement.

It'll never be "done". Even with Starfox, all it takes is one solid internally developed title and all is forgiven.

As I recall Other M did better Japanese sales than the Prime series, so it wouldn't suprise me at all to see Team Ninja given the chance to work on the franchise again.

It'll never be "done". Even with Starfox, all it takes is one solid internally developed title and all is forgiven.

As I recall Other M did better Japanese sales than the Prime series, so it wouldn't suprise me at all to see Team Ninja given the chance to work on the franchise again.

And the best selling Metroid game is still Metroid Prime. Let's not pretend that Other M was a success on any level.

SuomiDude

The story of Other M was just fine, as was the basic gameplay, graphics, sound and other stuff. There were some problems with the game like no analog control (digital controls wroked but could've been much better), music (what was there was good for the atmosphere, but as music it wasn't good except for the title theme), the useless 1st person mode especially in those hunt for the tiny spot to advance and finally the length of the game (too short). It had lots of great ideas, but fell short on some of them. Still a solid 8/10 game IMO.

Top Bottom