• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
That's great thanks, but I've heard it's glitchy. Something about the jump distance and ladders? How does that impact the gameplay?

Don't slide down ladders, apparently you can fall off the world. I don't even know how to slide down (I guess maybe by pressing the run button while going down a ladder) so it's not even relevant for me.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hey guys, I have the latest DSFix and I restarted Dark Souls. I started noticing that during cut scenes or whenever the brightness of the game changes (at bonfires for example) I start to see black transparent squares across the screen, is this due to the HUD scaling options? I also saw strange overlays during the beginning cut scene when the camera reaches the players corpse right before or immediately after it passes through the player's jail gate. What's the fix for this?

Edit: I set enableHudMod to 0 and that seemed to fix the problem. I still would like to know if there is another way to fix this while enabling HUD modifications.

Durante

The HUD modifications are still incomplete in many ways. The problem is that each "special" situation requires specific handling, and identifying and dealing with those situations is grueling work with little payoff. I hoped to distribute it to more contributors when I released the source code, but apparently no one cares enough.

It was still helpful to some people like me who wanted to know the inner workings of a directx injector. I learned a lot from your code Durante, huge thanks to you for releasing it, although I never contributed to improving Dark Souls

Durante

It was still helpful to some people like me who wanted to know the inner workings of a directx injector. I learned a lot from your code Durante, huge thanks to you for releasing it, although I never contributed to improving Dark Souls
Thanks, that's encouraging to hear!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The HUD modifications are still incomplete in many ways. The problem is that each "special" situation requires specific handling, and identifying and dealing with those situations is grueling work with little payoff. I hoped to distribute it to more contributors when I released the source code, but apparently no one cares enough.

Ah well, no big deal Durante, your work has already improved the game ten folds. I can live with the original HUD.

Durante, do you happen to know exactly what settings are needed with widescreen fixer and dsfix to enable 5760x1080 with the hud centered? I had it working perfect for 2 hours.. kept messing with it for whatever reason. Had to reset to default and cannot get it to work after hours of trying.

Its some perfect storm of dsfix, ds settings and widescreen fixer settings that I am unable to recreate

Fermbiz

Gold Member
So I installed the fix, thank you Durante.

I have a questions. I have it at 1080p with 60 frames. I tried to enable V-Sync but I still see screen tearing. Is this because I unlocked the frame rate limit to 60? If not, should I enable something else?

Thx.

Durante

Durante, do you happen to know exactly what settings are needed with widescreen fixer and dsfix to enable 5760x1080 with the hud centered? I had it working perfect for 2 hours.. kept messing with it for whatever reason. Had to reset to default and cannot get it to work after hours of trying.
Sorry, I never used the widescreen fix.

So I installed the fix, thank you Durante.

I have a questions. I have it at 1080p with 60 frames. I tried to enable V-Sync but I still see screen tearing. Is this because I unlocked the frame rate limit to 60? If not, should I enable something else?

Thx.
To get VSync with unlocked framerate, you either need to run the game in fullscreen windowed mode, or use something like D3DOverrider to force triple buffering.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey Durante since you're posting in here a bit again, have you been working on anything else game related lately? If you've got any projects you'd like to share I'd love to hear about em.

Ifrit

Finally after 2 days of trying to get GFWL to work (shit just refused to connect, forget everything good I've ever said about it) and 1 extra day getting it to run nicely on my Radeon 7850 I was finally able to get Dark Souls to run decently fine, it looks damn beautiful at 60 fps btw

I can't get the backup save function to work, tried leaving the defaults AND changing the values but the files just don't appear on my save folder. I'm affraid to lose all my progress if gfwl or my pc crashes. Any help with this?

Thanks Durante for all the hard work :)

Greetings:

Any idea f what's causing this. The game is letterboxed in a 1920*1200 monitor, like if it was on 1080p or maybe less, yet the horizontal resolution is entirely covered (1920). In the DSfix settings the resolution is set to 1920*1200. And when taking a screensot it says is at 1920*1200.

So any ideas?

Greetings:

Any idea f what's causing this. The game is letterboxed in a 1920*1200 monitor, like if it was on 1080p or maybe less, yet the horizontal resolution is entirely covered (1920). In the DSfix settings the resolution is set to 1920*1200. And when taking a screensot it says is at 1920*1200.

So any ideas?

I think the game defaults to a 16:9 aspect ratio no matter what resolution you feed it.

If you're on a 4:3 or 16:10 monitor, you will see some letterboxing.

Ifrit

Finally after 2 days of trying to get GFWL to work (shit just refused to connect, forget everything good I've ever said about it) and 1 extra day getting it to run nicely on my Radeon 7850 I was finally able to get Dark Souls to run decently fine, it looks damn beautiful at 60 fps btw

I can't get the backup save function to work, tried leaving the defaults AND changing the values but the files just don't appear on my save folder. I'm affraid to lose all my progress if gfwl or my pc crashes. Any help with this?

Thanks Durante for all the hard work :)

Anyone else experiencing problems with the backup saves on DSfix? Following an advise from this thread to turn on loglevel 3 in the ini, but the log file still appears empty. I think I'm doing something wrong, and I'm afraid to lose my progress :(

MysticX

nice, so it makes the game look better? is it also smoother? it was way all over the place for me when moving the camers

any other recommended mods for the game?

Raide

nice, so it makes the game look better? is it also smoother? it was way all over the place for me when moving the camers

any other recommended mods for the game?

Game looks awesome with DSFix and if you cna run at 60fps, it is also slick as hell. Cannot really go back after DSfix.

As for mods, I never felt the need to add any.

Neiteio

Man, I really didn't need all of this frustration tonight. I don't know anything about hacking games, but I'd really like to play Dark Souls. Hopefully someone can tell me what to do in laymen's terms.

I downloaded DSFix. Extracted it to Programs (x86) --> Steam --> Steamapps --> Common --> Dark Souls --> DATA. I'm told there are .ini files I have to fiddle with for whatever reason to do something of some sort. I'm not sure what an .ini file is or how to modify it. I read the OP but I don't see any explanation toward this end.

So, uh, help? Little more complicated than most PC games where you can just move sliders and such in the Game options. :-\

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Man, I really didn't need all of this frustration tonight. I don't know anything about hacking games, but I'd really like to play Dark Souls. Hopefully someone can tell me what to do in laymen's terms.

I downloaded DSFix. Extracted it to Programs (x86) --> Steam --> Steamapps --> Common --> Dark Souls --> DATA. I'm told there are .ini files I have to fiddle with for whatever reason to do something of some sort. I'm not sure what an .ini file is or how to modify it. I read the OP but I don't see any explanation toward this end.

So, uh, help? Little more complicated than most PC games where you can just move sliders and such in the Game options. :-\

inside the DATA folder where you extracted the files, you should see a file called DSFix.ini. Just open it with notepad and start setting up your settings.

masterkajo

I haven't played Dark Souls myself (I am about to purchase it right now actually). But I am trying to help a bit since I will have to do this myself tomorrow (or after the Steam sale).

An .ini file is an INItialisation file for a program. When the program starts it loads the values for its variables from the .ini file. Usually you can change things like resolution, mouse behaviour, key bindings, and lots of other stuff.

In this specific .ini you should probably change the resolution (height, and width) to your desired native desktop monitor resolution as well as unlock the framerate (don't know the variable name. look for something with framerate with crtl+f). If you are not familiar with the stuff I would probably not touch anything else. These two things are the most important to improve smoothness and graphical quality.

Hope I could help a bit. Maybe I will post more when I have seen the ini myself and tried to play it.

It's a text file like a README......?

Yes. You can open it with any text editor. It has a postfix .ini though.

Neiteio

I got the game up and running. I still couldn't make sense of the text file, but I got Morten242's UI for DSFix to work.

However, the HUD is rather large. I currently have the game running -- just started my file. Should I exit the game and adjust the HUD?

M*A*S*H

Ok, Neiteio, I'll just stick to the basics and talk about the major things you need to change. Like Kajo said, the ini file is just a list of instructions for the game. Treat the ini like a normal text file, but when you alter it the changes show up in game. For example, here is the framerate section in my dsfix.ini:

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

Everything with a # before it is ignored by the game and is for the user. In this example, the
unlockFPS 1
is the instruction for the game and the setting it should use. In this case the setting 1 unlocks the fps. So, when you want to change something, you change the setting next to the instruction. As you can see there is a list of the possible settings included.

The major settings you will need to modify are the internal rendering resolution, AA, fps unlock and fps limit.

Here is my dsfix of those areas to get you started:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 3

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 30

edit:
I got the game up and running. I still couldn't make sense of the text file, but I got Morten242's UI for DSFix to work.

However, the HUD is rather large. I currently have the game running -- just started my file. Should I exit the game and adjust the HUD?

There is also a section to scale down the hud:

# Scale down HuD, examples:
# 1.0 = original scale
# 0.75 = 75% of the original size
hudScaleFactor 0.75

Neiteio

Ok, Neiteio, I'll just stick to the basics and talk about the major things you need to change. Like Kajo said, the ini file is just a list of instructions for the game. Treat the ini like a normal text file, but when you alter it the changes show up in game. For example, here is the framerate section in my dsfix.ini:

Everything with a # before it is ignored by the game and is for the user. In this example, the is the instruction for the game and the setting it should use. In this case the setting 1 unlocks the fps. So, when you want to change something, you change the setting next to the instruction. As you can see there is a list of the possible settings included.

The major settings you will need to modify are the internal rendering resolution, AA, fps unlock and fps limit.

Here is my dsfix of those areas to get you started:

edit:

There is also a section to scale down the hud:
WOW! You are AWESOME! (Sincerely)

Explaining that the # denotes instructions to the user and that only the parts without # are what the game reads clarified things A LOT. I went and changed the HUD value as you suggested, and saved it. Let's see how it goes now. :)

PaineReign

Neo Member
Just bought Dark Souls, started using this, having 2 big graphical glitches, wondering if there are any known solutions.

Weird water glitch - basically the water is not a reflection of the character, but re-rendering the scene, but slightly offset. Basically I see my character standing next to me in the water.

Also I have a large black bar on the right side of the screen. Not present in menus (main screen, character creation, etc) and does not block hud elements. The game just is not being rendered in this location.

two pictures showing off the glitches. Any suggestions would be great!

(note: in the pictures, the character I am actually controlling is the one with the rendered legs. The glitch must be dealing with the shader)

image.png

Shepard

Just bought Dark Souls, started using this, having 2 big graphical glitches, wondering if there are any known solutions.

Weird water glitch - basically the water is not a reflection of the character, but re-rendering the scene, but slightly offset. Basically I see my character standing next to me in the water.

Also I have a large black bar on the right side of the screen. Not present in menus (main screen, character creation, etc) and does not block hud elements. The game just is not being rendered in this location.

(note: in the pictures, the character I am actually controlling is the one with the rendered legs. The glitch must be dealing with the shader)
Sure you turned off the game's AA?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Sure you turned off the game's AA?

Oh how I missed this.

Yeah, turn off the in game AA in the options.

M*A*S*H

Explaining that the # denotes instructions to the user and that only the parts without # are what the game reads clarified things A LOT. I went and changed the HUD value as you suggested, and saved it. Let's see how it goes now. :)

Happy to help. Now go out there and get repeatedly bludgeoned to death by angry metal men with weapons the size of a small town car.

alright just bought the game on steam (double dipped like a boss love it on my xbox360 figured i'd show it some love on my PC see how much better it looks and stuff) but I understand I need to "fix" the game to play it properly? Can someone walk me through what needs doin?

Striek

my game crashes right after the first/intro movie/cutscene
could dsfix be the cause of this?

The PC port is atrociously buggy, I had to rename the folder the movies are in to stop them playing to get it to stop crashing (don't worry, its only the title, credits with no story and the opening cutscene).

I have downloaded the resolution fix (thank you Durante) but I have a strange problem with the game not showing full screen - there is a lot of black space to the right and bottom of the game screen. Here is a link to a screen shot

I have kept the DSFix ini as-is with the resolution in the file set at 1920 x 1080.

I have set the in-game menu settings to 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) with full screen.

I assume I am missing setting something else to make it stretch to full screen?

Thanks for any guidance.

EDIT: Disabling anti-aliasing in-game fixed this as pointed out by Misterinenja.

kick51

Banned
The PC port is atrociously buggy, I had to rename the folder the movies are in to stop them playing to get it to stop crashing (don't worry, its only the title, credits with no story and the opening cutscene).

the game itself was perfectly fine for me

I have downloaded the resolution fix (thank you Durante) but I have a strange problem with the game not showing full screen - there is a lot of black space to the right and bottom of the game screen. Here is a link to a screen shot

I have kept the DSFix ini as-is with the resolution in the file set at 1920 x 1080.

I have set the in-game menu settings to 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) with full screen.

I assume I am missing setting something else to make it stretch to full screen?

Thanks for any guidance.

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

Durante

Looking back, I should have spent the half hour or so to simply disable the in-game AA programmatically whenever DSfix is loaded :p

Atruvius

You can also change between locked to 30 and unlocked framerate in-game by pressing enter or backspace(don't remember which). There's some issues with collisions if the framerate is over 30, like character not being able to walk over a step.

neoemonk

Messing with .ini files for the first time in your life brought a smile to my face. You had the eureka moment when how it works all came together.

You've just taking the first step into a new life friend, and I know you must be some kind of a masochist because you're playing Dark Souls. THIS IS YOUR DESTINY

Durante

You can also change between locked to 30 and unlocked framerate in-game by pressing enter or backspace(don't remember which). There's some issues with collisions if the framerate is over 30, like character not being able to walk over a step.
This is almost right. You can switch between unlocked 60 (or whatever you set in the ini) and unlocked 30. This is different from what the game does by default (where you can only get 30 or 15 FPS), since you can still get e.g. 28 FPS with unlocked 30.

Oh, and the key can be configured in DSFixKeys.ini.

Striek

the game itself was perfectly fine for me

Once it fully loads it was fine for me too. Getting it to load consistently though... (it actually blue screened my PC tons of times before I found out the above issue, which was a fun trip back to 2001).

Top Bottom