• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Thanks for your response. I've tried to run it in admin mode, which didn't work. I can't seem to get the borderless windowed mode to work, it stays in windowed mode (with a border :p), I suppose it should go fullscreen when I activate this function? I don't think I've ever installed any overlay things (I'm not even sure what they are, does this include things like Skype when someone comes online?). I've installed Win7 on this laptop as soon as I got it, so no, luckily I'm not on that OS ^^. I've not tried it with my antivirus disabled or run it ''barebones'' without any other applications running. I'm going to try that as soon as I get home. The laptop I have is this one(Lenovo Y500), I suppose that is all the information I can give you on specifications?

EDIT: Nope :( Still getting ''Dark Souls has stopped working'' Q_Q

EDIT 2: Did get borderless windowed mode to work now though, yet still no FPS unlocked. This game looks fucking beautiful with these mods. And by fucking beautiful, I mean FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.

Had a look at your specs. Definitely not a problem in that department.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know Lenovo actually made laptops capable of gaming; I thought they only made business laptops. A quick question though, does yours come with 1080p FHD screen or the 768p HD screen (two options were listed on the site)?

Okay, since the steps above did nothing to remedy the situation, it's time for the proverbial Hail Mary pass:-

Keep the dsfix.ini file with your settings from your current DS installation to use as a future reference point before proceeding with the reinstallation.

Completely uninstall Dark Souls AND GFWL (all the components in the Control Panel, including the Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable, Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace, and Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant)

Reinstall GFWL manually using this web installer by Microsoft.

Reinstall Dark Souls. (The method may vary depending on whether you bought the retail version or obtained it from steam)

Then manually download this update from Microsoft to update it yourself. (only if you purchased the retail version, Steam updates it automatically)

Then grab the latest version of Dsfix which is 2.01 from Durante's site.

Apply the files, and refer to your previous dsfix.ini file for settings which worked for you previously to apply into the new dsfix.ini file.

Before running the game, head to Services (Start --> type in Services, hit enter), and ensure Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant is Started and set to automatic.

Try running it again.

shffldrllshn

Neo Member
I've done everything that you listed, but when I unlock FPS, it fails once again :( I'll try once more with DEP turned off. Once again thanks for the help btw, it is highly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh my goodness. IT WORKS! DEP turned off, and it works!!! Question though, security wise, is it wise to leave DEP turned off always? Thanks for the help ambient <333

I've done everything that you listed, but when I unlock FPS, it fails once again :( I'll try once more with DEP turned off. Once again thanks for the help btw, it is highly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh my goodness. IT WORKS! DEP turned off, and it works!!! Question though, security wise, is it wise to leave DEP turned off always? Thanks for the help ambient <333

Not a problem, mate.

DEP helps a bunch but it's not life or death with your machine if you turn it off.

shffldrllshn

Neo Member
I'm super happy I got it working, but super sad I don't have time to play it for the coming days T_T I hate real life sometimes. I should just become a social recluse again, days and days of undisturbed game time.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Had to go with mod-less hud because it reverts when the camera is moved to some different angle or distance because of a wall or whatever.

I first noticed it starting a new character and approaching the crow ride. I'd rather have consistency than the bonuses, or both, but oh well.

Lulubop

Having issues with the hud as well. in addition to the above post, boss health bars are yellow and out of place. I can't see how much damage I'm doing to them and their names are obscured.

I just stick with it. The hud resizing to full size doesn't happen often, and only when looking at certain parts of an area.
Do you do any co-op? Whenever I summon someone into my game their health bar disappears half of the time depending on the camera angle that I'm at them with.

Tilian

Banned
Is the bug where you get stuck at a bonfire fixed in newer versions of DSfix?

It happens when you reverse hollow quickly. Wait until the mist disappears. I haven't been stuck in months since I figured out this trick.

Not sure if the problem stems from the fps unlock, though.

Durante

Is the bug where you get stuck at a bonfire fixed in newer versions of DSfix?
No, but they have a key you can use to momentarily lock the framerate to 30 FPS. You can use this to quickly circumvent the problems with the unlock (ladder sliding, the increased likelihood of getting stuck at bonfires, and the slightly decreased jump range).

Korezo

I stopped playing DS a while ago because now my character always falls through the ground. Right now when ever I load my game I instantly fall through the ground and die, then it loads respawns me and happens again all the time. All the enemies also drop under ground.

I stopped playing DS a while ago because now my character always falls through the ground. Right now when ever I load my game I instantly fall through the ground and die, then it loads respawns me and happens again all the time. All the enemies also drop under ground.

I had this happen to me once after a crash.. it must have taken 3 minutes for my character to fall until he finally died. I hope it doesn't keep happening..

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Does anyone else have sound issues on the PC? I have a 4 speaker setup connected right now (left, right, center, and subwoofer), with my left and right surround speakers left at home. All the sounds seem to be coming through, but it doesn't sound entirely balanced. The tones for going through the menu and some of the enemy sounds (like walking and weapons) are lower than usual, almost muted; the iron giants sound like they're stomping around a bit further away than they actually are. The "DOOM!" sound of area titles and using bonfires is much too loud, causing even my friend to comment on the volume. Is there some sort of configuration I need to do, or should I just remove the center speaker and/or turn off the subwoofer? The game (360 version and my own) sounds completely normal and balanced by comparison on my friend's 47" TV through HDMI.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does anyone else have sound issues on the PC? I have a 4 speaker setup connected right now (left, right, center, and subwoofer), with my left and right surround speakers left at home. All the sounds seem to be coming through, but it doesn't sound entirely balanced. The tones for going through the menu and some of the enemy sounds (like walking and weapons) are lower than usual, almost muted; the iron giants sound like they're stomping around a bit further away than they actually are. The "DOOM!" sound of area titles and using bonfires is much too loud, causing even my friend to comment on the volume. Is there some sort of configuration I need to do, or should I just remove the center speaker and/or turn off the subwoofer? The game (360 version and my own) sounds completely normal and balanced by comparison on my friend's 47" TV through HDMI.

Right click speaker in the taskbar, playback devices, right click your speakers, configure, then after you run through that see if the issue persists.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Right click speaker in the taskbar, playback devices, right click your speakers, configure, then after you run through that see if the issue persists.

Nope, no settings I messed with changed anything. It's lame hearing some stuff low while other stuff is too loud. Other than that, it plays great.

Nope, no settings I messed with changed anything. It's lame hearing some stuff low while other stuff is too loud. Other than that, it plays great.

Afaik, I recall the sound mix being a bit messed up for 2.0/2.1 speaker systems (certain ambient sounds could not be heard as certain channels were not being downmixed from the original 5.1 audio mix), and they rectified it in their 1st PC patch released on GFWL.

Could it be related?

Lingitiz

Anyone figure out a fix for the wired 360 controller deadzone yet? I really hate having to switch to my PS3 controller for Dark Souls.

Anyone figure out a fix for the wired 360 controller deadzone yet? I really hate having to switch to my PS3 controller for Dark Souls.

A rough workaround from my previous post in this thread:-

It's sorta deadzone issue that affects this game and only this game for my wired 360 controller. As you've stated, only the forward motion is affected, and no matter how far ahead you push that stick forward, the game still interprets the signal as a walking motion.

A solution that works well enough for me is to push down (click down) on the Left stick when ingame a couple of times (essentially pressing the L3 button), and then try to sprint (Left stick forward + B button). Works most of the time for me, requires a few tries at times, until the next boot up of the game.

everything is working great for me except I'm having a transparent horizontal line moving from bottom to top, only when I move the camera. Any one know how to fix this?

everything is working great for me except I'm having a transparent horizontal line moving from bottom to top, only when I move the camera. Any one know how to fix this?

Could it be frame tearing? Have you tried enabling Vsync in your control panel (NVIDIA or AMD CCC)? Also try the D3DOverrider method.

I guess it's screen tearing. Or can you make a screenshot? If it's screen tearing you need to activate v-synch in your graphics settings.
Edit: Beaten.

I believe I tried this before but I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Do I just click the stick a few times and then try to sprint? Any idea why it works?

Yeah, it's the Left stick. Click it all the way down a couple of times and then sprint forwards.

I've no idea why it works though, it was something I picked up from the Steam discussion forums months ago when the game came out.

antitrop

I used to wiggle the left analog stick a tiny bit to fix the deadzone. That's how I played through the game.
Thinking back I really should have just used my PS3 controller and Motioninjoy instead, because it was fairly miserable.

Devil May Cry 4 PC is the only other game I've ever experienced this deadzone issue with on the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

jww

No matter how much I mess with my DSfix settings, fog walls always drop me to exactly 30fps. I know they are taxing GPU-wise, but I have 660ti, and it's always 30fps on the nose with no fluctuation.

Is that just because that's around where the FPS threshold is and it's disabling AA to keep it at 30?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No matter how much I mess with my DSfix settings, fog walls always drop me to exactly 30fps. I know they are taxing GPU-wise, but I have 660ti, and it's always 30fps on the nose with no fluctuation.

Is that just because that's around where the FPS threshold is and it's disabling AA to keep it at 30?

That, and/or you have VSync turned on.

1-D_FTW

Picked it up from Amazon and my quick impressions were flawless stereo 3D. Wasn't prepared for it to be so good. Thanks to Durante's resolution fix and Helix's 3D fix, this is a real looker for sure. Thanks!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Question to anyone who has beaten this using the fix throughout the entire game, are there any problematic bugs? The HUD and health bars issues mentioned in the previous page sound annoying, do they happen for everyone?

RK9039

Question to anyone who has beaten this using the fix throughout the entire game, are there any problematic bugs? The HUD and health bars issues mentioned in this page sound annoying, do they happen for everyone?

I haven't had any bugs at all. I'm guessing the issues with the HUD only occurs when you modify the HUD options in the DSFix files. I didn't do anything to the HUD so I didn't have any problems with that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Picked it up from Amazon and my quick impressions were flawless stereo 3D. Wasn't prepared for it to be so good. Thanks to Durante's resolution fix and Helix's 3D fix, this is a real looker for sure. Thanks!

The 3D is really fantastic with the fix yeah. I remember being completely surprised by how good it was.

Vexxan

Question to anyone who has beaten this using the fix throughout the entire game, are there any problematic bugs? The HUD and health bars issues mentioned in the previous page sound annoying, do they happen for everyone?

Finished New Game +7 a few weeks ago and I haven't had a problem ever since I pushed that New Game button for the first time(been using DSfix all along) but I have never tried modifying the HUD.

Fuu

I haven't had any bugs at all. I'm guessing the issues with the HUD only occurs when you modify the HUD options in the DSFix files. I didn't do anything to the HUD so I didn't have any problems with that.

Finished New Game +7 a few weeks ago and I haven't had a problem ever since I pushed that New Game button for the first time(been using DSfix all along) but I have never tried modifying the HUD.
Ah cool, I don't plan on doing that kind of tinkering so that's good to know. Did you guys play with 60fps unlocked?

RK9039

Ah cool, I don't plan on doing that kind of tinkering so that's good to know. Did you guys play with 60fps unlocked?

No I left it at 30fps. I heard there can be issues if you force the 60fps through the DSFix and it might get you banned from GFWL.

Pardon my ignorance but Im kinda confused as to how this patch works, I placed it in the Data folder, is that all I have to do? I looked at the DSFix.ini file but it seems to be just instructions right? Do I need to setup specific settings to get it to work?

Durante

I used the fix throughout 2.5 entire playthroughs, 1.5 of those also at 60 FPS. There aren't any problematic bugs left at all if you only play at 30 FPS and without the HUD modifications.

For the HUD changes, there are some areas and situations in the game where they don't work (though you can easily toggle them on/off in-game).

For the FPS unlock, there is a bug related to sliding down ladders and another which slightly reduces jumping and rolling range. The latter is only really relevant at 2 points in the game, and again you can bind a key to easily toggle a 30 FPS limit on/off in-game.

Generally, I would suggest using the FPS unlock even if you plan to play at 30 FPS, as it fixes the default behaviour of the game of dropping you straight to 15 if you can't maintain 30 for even just a frame.

Fuu

I used the fix throughout 2.5 entire playthroughs, 1.5 of those also at 60 FPS. There aren't any problematic bugs left at all if you only play at 30 FPS and without the HUD modifications.

For the HUD changes, there are some areas and situations in the game where they don't work (though you can easily toggle them on/off in-game).

For the FPS unlock, there is a bug related to sliding down ladders and another which slightly reduces jumping and rolling range. The latter is only really relevant at 2 points in the game, and again you can bind a key to easily toggle a 30 FPS limit on/off in-game.

Generally, I would suggest using the FPS unlock even if you plan to play at 30 FPS, as it fixes the default behaviour of the game of dropping you straight to 15 if you can't maintain 30 for even just a frame.
Thanks a bunch for all the info (and for the fix itself!). I'll try doing that regarding the FPS.

RK9039

Oh right, the last time I played Dark Souls with the DSFix was when people were saying 60fps had a lot of issues. That's good, I'll check it out at some point.

Pardon my ignorance but Im kinda confused as to how this patch works, I placed it in the Data folder, is that all I have to do? I looked at the DSFix.ini file but it seems to be just instructions right? Do I need to setup specific settings to get it to work?

Yeah, you just place it in the data folder and you can manually change the resolution and other things like DOF and many other options in the file. That's all you do.

I just bought Prepare to Die Edition from amazon, ready to start playing the ultimate edition!

I installed dsfix, now when I speak to an NPC, the bottom of the screen doesn't look right. Something wrong with the transparency I think.

211420_2013-05-17_000mtul5.png

You tell me XD

Anyone knows how to swap the A an B buttons of the 360 controller in the game?

Top Bottom