• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Durante

I've had a controller issue for awhile, maybe Durante or someone familiar with it can provide help.

There's seems to be some sorta issue with this game and wired 360 controllers. While it's rare, I have seen people on other forums with the same issue. Essentially pressing directly forward on the left stick will always put in you a walking state, even when sprinting. Every other direction and movement is without issue. Obviously this is a problem because I am moving directly forward the majority of the time. I've tired numerous things such as, installing new drivers, configuring the controller, re-installing the game, etc. Even after I had to reformat my HDD, did the issue persist. From what I've gathered, the issue seems relegated to wired 360 controllers. Although I don't think the problem is cause by the DSFIX, perhaps it can help with a solution.
That's the first time I've heard of this issue. Is DS the only game you have issues with? When you try to run the Windows controller configuration tool, do you get full movement on te left stick? It would probably be possible to "fix" this in software to some extent (by faking more movement on the y axis than the hardware reports), but it seems like a hadware issue to me.

My game has been running great at a locked 60fps until today.. It stays at 60 for a little while, and then something (lighting a bonfire?) causes it to lock at..59fps? What in the world could be causing this?
I have no idea. That's a very strange issue. Maybe the code handling frame timing is off, but it has worked well for pretty much everyone for quite a while now. Can you try setting the frame limit at 61 and see what happens?

does anyone play this game with a Keyboard & Mouse? I've been trying to ween myself off of controllers on PC games, but what in the world is up with this games camera. Is there a patch or option the KB&M people use?

does anyone play this game with a Keyboard & Mouse? I've been trying to ween myself off of controllers on PC games, but what in the world is up with this games camera. Is there a patch or option the KB&M people use?

If you've got a perfectly functional 360 controller (or its equivalent) please do yourself a huge favour, make an exception and use it for just this game. Save yourself the aggravation.

I played the first 300 hours with a controller, and the recent 100 hours with KB&M. It's not easy to get used to in the beginning, but after a few hours it actually works pretty good (provided you're using the DSMFix + rebind the keys to your own needs).

Controller is still the (slightly) better option imo, since everything is adapted for it - but since I prefer precision and speed (and kb&m in general), that's the way I'll continue to play it.

I block with right mouse and use a modifier for heavy attacks (left mouse). E for action, F for use, Q for parry, R for switching between two-handed, scroll for switching weapons, C/X for switching items/magic etc. It works pretty well so far, and I'm on SL1 NG+4.

Also, having the mouse cursor only active in menus is a great feature within DSMFix.

shffldrllshn

Neo Member
Can anyone help? Dark Souls PC crashes on launch whenever FPS is unlocked. Turning off DEP still leads to crash..

Same problem here. Everything works fine with resolution fix etc., but as soon as I turn on FPS unlock I get ''Dark Souls has stopped working blabla''. Turning off DEP doesn't seem to work either. All in all great fix Durante, keep up the good work, appreciate it!

Edit: Hmmm, now it doesn't even seem to give me an error message anymore as soon as I turn on FPS unlock, when I click DS.exe it's doing nothing at all.

Hey Durante, i'm having a problem here. i was playing the game without any problems for weeks with dsfix, but now the game just freezes at the first screen. already tried turning the skip intro option off, and it only works without the fix D:

Hey Durante, i'm having a problem here. i was playing the game without any problems for weeks with dsfix, but now the game just freezes at the first screen. already tried turning the skip intro option off, and it only works without the fix D:

Try renaming the movWW folder in your Dark Souls game folder to something else and launching the game again.

Do tell if it solves the issue.

Lulubop

It's sorta deadzone issue that affects this game and only this game for my wired 360 controller. As you've stated, only the forward motion is affected, and no matter how far ahead you push that stick forward, the game still interprets the signal as a walking motion.

A solution that works well enough for me is to push down (click down) on the Left stick when ingame a couple of times (essentially pressing the L3 button), and then try to sprint (Left stick forward + B button). Works most of the time for me, requires a few tries at times, until the next boot up of the game.

Thanks man, not perfect but it works.

TentPole

It's sorta deadzone issue that affects this game and only this game for my wired 360 controller. As you've stated, only the forward motion is affected, and no matter how far ahead you push that stick forward, the game still interprets the signal as a walking motion.

A solution that works well enough for me is to push down (click down) on the Left stick when ingame a couple of times (essentially pressing the L3 button), and then try to sprint (Left stick forward + B button). Works most of the time for me, requires a few tries at times, until the next boot up of the game.

This worked for me for a while but it seems to be getting worse and now I am constantly getting stuck at walking speed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Maaan.... I don't know what you've done but every time I get back to the game ( which goes hand in hand with DSfix ofc ) I'm blown away by your work. I can't believe I'm playing the game at 4k and tons of extra eye candy and mods while still keeping 30 fps 99.9999% of the time, blood spatter and bonfires included. This was never the case before as the game would constantly chuck below 30 using much less extravagant settings.

Thanks again <3

I applied the fix but it doesn't seem to solve my framerate problems... I'm not sure what settings I should change. Any help? I'm kind of a noob.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I applied the fix but it doesn't seem to solve my framerate problems... I'm not sure what settings I should change. Any help? I'm kind of a noob.

Try unlocking the framerate and setting a framerate limit of 30 fps. This results in the game not halving the framerate as soon as it drops from 30, down to 15.

Syril

I'm sure this has been answered already, but I can't seem to find any mention of it that's recent. I've been hesitant to use the unlockFPS function because of the disclaimer about possibly being banned from GFWL, and and I did buy this game with the intent to play with friends. Has there been any actual confirmed case of this happening?

I'm sure this has been answered already, but I can't seem to find any mention of it that's recent. I've been hesitant to use the unlockFPS function because of the disclaimer about possibly being banned from GFWL, and and I did buy this game with the intent to play with friends. Has there been any actual confirmed case of this happening?

AFAIK, nope. No actual confirmed, recorded or reported case amongst the many users of NeoGaf. Pretty much everyone's been using the function happily without any GFWL repercussions.

Only 2 things you need to be wary about while unlocking the FPS to 60:-

1. Jump distances are shortened, the closer it approaches 60, the shorter the jump distance.

2. Sliding down ladders are a big no-no. You could slide all the way down and through the game world.

That's about it I think. Also, some have reported the inability to launch the game successfully with the unlock FPS option unless DEP is disabled in Windows.

Syril

AFAIK, nope. No actual confirmed, recorded or reported case amongst the many users of NeoGaf. Pretty much everyone's been using the function happily without any GFWL repercussions.

Only 2 things you need to be wary about while unlocking the FPS to 60:-

1. Jump distances are shortened, the closer it approaches 60, the shorter the jump distance.

2. Sliding down ladders are a big no-no. You could slide all the way down and through the game world.

That's about it I think. Also, some have reported the inability to launch the game successfully with the unlock FPS option unless DEP is disabled in Windows.

I'm going to limit the FPS to 30 anyway, the whole reason I'd use it in the first place is because the game jumps to 15 FPS any time it goes below 30.

What's DEP?

Alright, just to make sure this is working, I have everything set to default except for the resolution, which i have at 1920x1080. This is 1080 right?
1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

It looks cleaner, but I may just be imagining things.

Hypron

Alright, just to make sure this is working, I have everything set to default except for the resolution, which i have at 1920x1080. This is 1080 right?

From what I can see (your pics are not in 1080p) this is way too blurry, it's probably not working.

From what I can see (your pics are not in 1080p) this is way too blurry, it's probably not working.

Yeah I just used a steam screenshot. So how do I change that. This is what I have word for word in the notepad
"# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080"

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't own this version nor own a PC capable of doing it justice, but are there any videos floating around that can demonstrate high resolutions and framerate? I'd go to youtube but I know it caps it.

dino1980

Hi I havent played the game for about 5 months now and started a new game yesterday, after downloading the new fix. The problem im having is that the franerate keeps,droping 1 frame every hour so. So 60 fps first hour, 59 second hour and so om. Is there a fix for this? Have just read that other people have the same problem, but they havent got a solution for it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0

That's what it should say. And you should extract all of the files from DSfix into the "\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA" folder.

I don't own this version nor own a PC capable of doing it justice, but are there any videos floating around that can demonstrate high resolutions and framerate? I'd go to youtube but I know it caps it.

High resolution

i6eGWszofeFfF.png

High frame rate.

iLgDnbTnZMmoJ.gif

Durante

Hi I havent played the game for about 5 months now and started a new game yesterday, after downloading the new fix. The problem im having is that the franerate keeps,droping 1 frame every hour so. So 60 fps first hour, 59 second hour and so om. Is there a fix for this? Have just read that other people have the same problem, but they havent got a solution for it.
That's very interesting. Does this always happen? I have to look into this.

fresquito

What's the fix for the framerate crash? If I use the framerate unlocker, the game crashes on startup. Any fix?

BTW, congrats Durate, you made this playable.

Durante

I found one possible cause for this (if this was it, it was pretty tricky!) and fixed it.

EasyMode

But it says DATA is an application? It's already in the "DATA" folder I thought?

It's within a subfolder of the DATA folder, which the problem. Just open up the DSfix201 folder, select all, cut, go back to the DATA folder and paste.

If you open up the original zip file, you'll notice there's no DSfix201 folder. Your zip program probably created it on extract, and that's what is causing the confusion.

It's within a subfolder of the DATA folder, which the problem. Just open up the DSfix201 folder, select all, cut, go back to the DATA folder and paste.

If you open up the original zip file, you'll notice there's no DSfix201 folder. Your zip program probably created it on extract, and that's what is causing the confusion.

Ah, thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Notice the resolution difference now? :)

Yes, but now it's capped at 15 fps D;

I'm not expecting to be able to run this at 60, but it doesn't even hit 16 at all, even in an empty room it will stay at 15. I have the FPS cap locked at 30 in the notepad.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i've been trying to stream Dark Souls lately and it doesn't seem to want to work with Xsplit at all. I got it working one day but now it just usually crashes over and over. Its right as i turn on xsplit it will crash the game.

The only thing i have on in the Dsfix is borderless fullscreen.

R0nn

Welp, doesn't seem to work here. As soon as I put the files in the DATA folder, the game crashes right away on start up. Also, my framerate is terrible. It's either 30 or 15.

Oh wait, nevermind:

The fix is to open up the DarkSouls.ini file and manually set your fullscreen resolution and monitor's framerate there.

I do have a 120 hz monitor in fact. So I'll look into that.

EasyMode

Welp, doesn't seem to work here. As soon as I put the files in the DATA folder, the game crashes right away on start up. Also, my framerate is terrible. It's either 30 or 15.

The zip file also includes a subfolder called 'dsfix'. Did you also put that in the Data folder?

R0nn

The zip file also includes a subfolder called 'dsfix'. Did you also put that in the Data folder?

Yeah nevermind. I forgot to extract that into the folder. It works now. Man, I hate myself! Stupid oversights like this never happen to me!

Anyway, the difference is immediatly apparant. It looks great now! Should I unlock the framerate? I don't want to get banned from GFWL or anything...

Top Bottom