• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Saw this movie during a sneak preview and the place was packed (well, it is packed every tuesday night though). I loved it! Story was ok, pretty dark and gory but funny as well. Shame it is doing so bad, it deserves more.

From the trailers I wasn't expecting it to be this gory though. Parts remindend me of Soldier of Fortune, haha :p

MasLegio

Banned
Marketing was horrendous. In the last two weeks, I saw one spot for Dredd, late at night. That was it.

Just horrible.

yep, did not even know there was a Dredd movie until I read a tweet about it yesterday.

Also the title: Dredd 3D only gives the impression that the movie is probably total shit since they put 3D in the title.

And the last movie did not help the brand of Judge Dredd either.

catabarez

yep, did not even know there was a Dredd movie until I read a tweet about it yesterday.

Also the title: Dredd 3D only gives the impression that the movie is probably total shit since they put 3D in the title.

And the last movie did not help the brand of Judge Dredd either.

Now that you know, Watch it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Saw it a second time yesterday and got a few co-workers to go see it. Movie is just as glorious on the 2nd watch.

bangai-o

Banned
i only watch tv once a week and saw plenty of commercials over the past month. blaming marketing is like a gaf meme. although the commercial could do without that "its judgment time" quote which gave the impression of being cheesy.

and whats up with the OP? no neat pictures. no gifs of MAMA splashing water in Slo-Mo.

catabarez

Everything I've seen with Karl Urban has been gold (Doom was enjoyable for me come at me gaf) I hope this movie has legs and that trilogy actually happens.

Solo

You all need to give up hope of a sequel. I'd love to see one too, but movies that don't make more than $15M total in North America on a $50M budget don't get sequels.

catabarez

You all need to give up hope of a sequel. I'd love to see one too, but movies that don't make more than $15M total in North America on a $50M budget don't get sequels.

Kick Ass did badly in theaters, but did amazing on the DVD and bluray release.

Sinistral

Saw it yesterday with a friend. While I find The Raid to be a pretty damn good action movie, Dredd was good as well (comparing the two only for the similar concepts). The pacing was great, editing was thankfully not done by someone who likes to fit 20 cuts in 5 seconds. The effects were great, dialogue was sharp. Slo-Mo was rightfully only used when people were doing drugs. Biggest negative was that it was in 3D... as a person who wears glasses all the time, my hate for 3D is higher than normal.

It's too bad it's doing so poorly sales wise, we need more movies of this caliber.

catabarez

Saw it yesterday with a friend. While I find The Raid to be a pretty damn good action movie, Dredd was good as well (comparing the two only for the similar concepts). The pacing was great, editing was thankfully not done by someone who likes to fit 20 cuts in 5 seconds. The effects were great, dialogue was sharp. Slo-Mo was rightfully only used when people were doing drugs. Biggest negative was that it was in 3D... as a person who wears glasses all the time, my hate for 3D is higher than normal.

It's too bad it's doing so poorly sales wise, we need more movies of this caliber.

I wear glasses as well :p I hear they make clip ons for people like us.

oneils

Just came home from the theatre after watching this. I was pleasantly surprised. A pretty good action flick. I'm surprised that there is so much talk in here about low turn-out.

Definitely worth it to see it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I never really got the need for a sequel. I would love one of course. The movie was great fun even with the faults, but if they could hammer out those faults. It would definitely be up there with the classics.

But I'm fucking glad we even got this. Same with Speed Racer and others. We got a movie that went against most of the modern trends with action films and turned out to be solid fun. Its a one and off and does it well. No need to ruin that.

Now pity the chance of more Hard R movies following.

Kunan

Speed Racer at least was a visual fucking drug of choice. All trailers for this Dredd sent me to sleep with emptiness and grey everywhere, not what I'd expect of the busy and colour barfing bonanza that is the actual comic-book. They made a boring looking film, this is the result. Who knew.
Which is funny because Dredd's imagery, minimalism, slow-mo sequences and art design in the actual movie are exquisite. The movie was FANTASTIC!

bangai-o

Banned
Speed Racer at least was a visual fucking drug of choice. All trailers for this Dredd sent me to sleep with emptiness and grey everywhere, not what I'd expect of the busy and colour barfing bonanza that is the actual comic-book. They made a boring looking film, this is the result. Who knew.
ive been subbed to Judge Dredd Megazine for over two years now. the colors range from not colored to blood splattery red. this movie was a visual feast especially combined with the soundtrack. mama's requiem can put you into a coma.

Saw this movie. The theater was a lot more filled than I thought.

Karl Urban fucking nailed the role as Dredd.

Great movie. I will be watching it again.

GhaleonEB

Definitely heading back for a second showing this weekend. It will be a great way to blow off steam after another rough week at work.

JimiNutz

Banned
Saw this movie over the weekend.
Used to read a little Judge Dredd when I was 15 so it was nice to see an accurate depiction on screen.

I though they did a decent job given the obviously low budget. Nothing really stood out for me as being excellent with the exception of the 3D slow-mo scenes, which were pretty fucking awesome.

It really wasn't as violent as some people made out either but glad that it was 18/R rated.

You can tell that a sequel could be really amazing. Hope it at least does well on DVD.

Facism

Saw it a week ago and enjoyed it. I think they missed out a little when it comes to the character. Comic Dredd wouldn't give the vagrant a chance, he'd have told him to turn himself in at the nearest sector house. Come to think of it, that kind of humour was missing from the movie, which was a shame.

I liked the early-era setting, too. Recognisable architecture and infrastructure amongst the forward slog of the Blocks and highways. The bikes were really out of place, i felt. If they do a sequel, likely getting Dark Judges, but would totally prefer the Apocalypse War.

Loving your avatar's new accessory, Suairyu. I'm seeing a partnership with Judge Fish.

fish.jpg

Stronty

Anyone doubt the $50 million budget? D9 was a 30 million budget and had more varied locales and seemingly more effects. Starship Troopers 3 was a SA production that was released direct to video. Maybe 3d added significant costs, but for a production that limited so much to keep costs down, they seemingly couldnt even be as frugal as KickAss which was filmed in the UK with much higher production costs than South Africa.

Went and saw it yesterday with the wife, loved every minute of it!

What can I say about it, the action was really good, it took time to build up to those sections too. I liked Anderson too which is a surprise considering the rookie cops are normally annoying but she developed well throughout and her and Dredd worked well together.

The cinematography was great throughout with some very nice scenes and angles used, also the slow-mo effect was amazing, some really beautiful visuals such as Mama splashing in the bath Just loved the overall look of everything, Mega City 1 was a more realistic version but suited the film very well and brought out the horror that must go through a city in that state.

Mama by the way was a great villain, a real brutal character that was believable.

I also have to say the 3D was very good, some parts were really helped by it, such as the slow-mo sections.

I really hope it makes enough money from box office and DVD/BR release because I would love a sequel and feel they do do some amazing things with the property and the universe they have created.

We live in a world that doesn’t deserve nice things though as It seems most people either don’t give a shit or don’t even know about the film so the chances of it happening are probably 0

Can't really say much that hasn't been said on this page alone...loved the movie and I'm really sad we will probably not get a sequel. It was pretty much everything I had hoped for out of a Judge Dredd movie. I don't know how they dropped the ball so hard with marketing this thing, it has a simple premise, cool characters and awesome action...80s/90s action film fans should have been lining up for this one but most of my friends didn't even know it existed.

i only watch tv once a week and saw plenty of commercials over the past month. blaming marketing is like a gaf meme.

I watch TV a couple of times a week and saw none. I don't watch SyFY, which somebody said had ads. I didn't even know that this was due out until somebody on another forum mentioned it on Thursday.

In Chicago, a release like this usually gets a lot of bus/bustop signage as well, for which there was none.

Top Bottom