• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Snaku

Banned
LDmF9.png

Director Pete Travis
Writer Alex Garland
Music Paul Leonard-Morgan full score - listen
Run Time 95 minutes

Judge Dredd Karl Urban
Judge Anderson Olivia Thirlby
Ma-Ma Lena Headey

The future world is an irradiated waste land. Somewhere, off an eastern coast, lies Mega City One – a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban police force known simply as the "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury, and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge – a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities due to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture – a 200-story vertical slum controlled by prostitute-turned-drug lord, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan's inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound's control center and wages a brutal, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.

Trailers

Rottenmeter: 78% Certified Fresh

Variety said:
Grim, gritty and ultra-violent, Dredd reinstates the somber brutality missing from the U.K. comic book icon's previous screen outing.

SFX Magazine said:
Clearly made with love by people who have read the comics and understand what makes Joe Dredd tick, it's a focussed and thoroughly entertaining take on one of the most enduring characters in British comics.

CraveOnline said:
Dredd hits that perfect sweet spot of filmmakers isolating an audience and totally serving that audience. I hope sci-fi fans will appreciate this as a throwback, an homage or just damn awesome.

Release Dates
September 7 UK, Spain, Ireland, Toronto Film Festival
September 20 Argentina, Russia, Singapore
September 21 USA, Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Iceland
September 27 Denmark
September 28 Norway, Turkey
October 4 New Zealand
October 11 Hong Kong, Netherlands, Portugal
October 12 Sweden
October 25 Australia
November 15 Germany, Switzerland

didn't this screen at ComicCon and getting fairly rave reviews? *edit- confirmed by ezekial45!
Also- Hard R.

I'm really looking forward to it.

ezekial45

Banned
impressions from comic con

boinx said:
@colliderfrosty:
DREDD was a super hard R and a lot better than I thought it would be. Again....super hard R. 3D was also great.

@firstshowing:
Dredd 3D - Uh yea, that was awesome. Badass, loved it. Yes, the helmet never comes off. Liked it more than The Raid, a lot more, honestly.

@JHoffman6:
On a pop fascist level DREDD makes STARSHIP TROOPERS look like BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN #SDCC

@alllyourfriends
#Dredd was amazing

@TexasTechWrekem
#Dredd was a mix between Crank and The Raid which means it was awesome! Expect my review tomorrow on @MovieBuzzers

@TorturedXGenius
2 outta 3 of my favorite bloggers i follow liked #DREDD a lot....this is good.

@JHoffman6
Props to Lena Heady: her few center stage moments are tremendous. Great villain. #Dredd #SDCC

@alllyourfriends
Dredd was honestly the best movie I've seen this year.

@Ethan_Anderton
DREDD is brutal, bloody and a bad ass blast of old school action. I was skeptical and ended up being highly entertained.

@filthysize
Just saw DREDD. It's all right. Wafer thin story, but violent as all *beep* with a great attitude to it. Less scifi, more cop. #SDCC

@Bilal_Mian
Was Dredd really that good? The buzz is making me go WTF

@empiremagazine
Dredd Goodd. Longer reaction to come soon, followed by the full Empire review. We're that drokking efficient.

@slashfilm
DREDD is a lot of fun. A return to 80s action, The Raid meets Robocop on a mini scale. great use of high fps slow mo 3d. Gritty &

@jonniechang
enjoyed DREDD. dig the new costume. movie's kinda simple, but I think it benefits from staying focused. awesome soundtrack!

@GermainLussier
Dredd is super solid. Great music and fun action wrapped around a simple, straight narrative. Minor reservations are secondary. It’s tight.

@MangoMonkeyBoy
Dredd was excellent! Gritty, violent and beautiful! #sdcc

@benpears
Apparently everyone really liked DREDD. I wasn't as impressed. It has excellent moments, but for an action movie, it was slllllooooowwww.

@cablebfg (Collider writer)
I have to say I'm surprised by the solid reactions to DREDD. The previews aren't doing it any benefits

@ajhan
#Dredd: not too dumb, not too smart, very bloody, fun.

@TheJoBloPodcast
DREDD kicks a lot of ass. Great score. Great kills. Great Lena. It didn't hurt that Karl Urban sat in my row. #overexcited

@filthysize
Karl Urban got the character right, but the movie treats Dredd's fascism as real hope. The comic's always been more satiric than that. #SDCC

@benpears
For all of DREDD's worldbuilding, it sure is small scale. Probably an effect of having a low budget. But it felt almost too contained to me.

@PeedUpProd
I don't know if DREDD is better than THE RAID: REDEMPTION but in about 2 months time we'll see if that comes true. #ComicCon

@TorturedXGenius
ok, now 3 out of 3 of my fave bloggers liked #DREDD .....

@DukeD1989
Initial reactions to Dredd seem to be positive...hell must have just gotten much colder.

@Reelnerdchick
Finally finished wih #Dredd - great movie lots of fun; met Karl Urban - what a nice guy!

Anyway, I'm super fucking hyped. Between this and Looper, september is gonna be a great month for some great movies.

That slow-mo room breach is gonna look magnificent on the big screen.

mjc

I've had this weird feeling like it would be a pretty solid movie. It'd be nice if we get more movies like The Raid and this popping up again.

So I'm a little confused about something with this movie: So the bad guys are dealing a drug that makes the user feel like everything is moving at a fraction of the actual speed. So does this mean that their reflexes would be heightened as well? It seems kind of like the opposite of what 'bad guy drugs' usually do in these movies (think of something like cocaine where the user is given crazy amounts of energy).
Or do they just not get high on their supply?

Metalmarc

Thank you for posting this thread OP! i used to be a big fan of it, i collected the comics 2000ad for a whole 2 years after the stallone film came out (yeah it was dodgy film but i was 13 and i didnt know better ha ha) sadly i threw out all my comics

now this ones coming out im totally pysched to see it and may start collecting again, i do have a few of the colection books vol 1,4 and 5

but anyone know any major good arcs i may have missed since i stopped reading in 1997 to date? and can i get them in collected form!

Hype for Friday!!!

I'm suddenly very interested in this. The Variety review mentioning that there were no comic reliefs, no love stories and really no filler was very impressive to me. Those were the attributes that I loved so much about The Raid and a lot of the reason why I don't care for many modern action films - they never seem more content to be mediocre action-comedy-romances than good action films.

Top Bottom