• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

BeeDog

I was damn sure this reboot/reimagination of Dredd would suck balls, but I'm truly pleasantly surprised by the good reaction. The Slo-Mo clip linked further up made me even more super-hyped for this movie. Can't wait to see it!

As a genuine fan of the original, I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

I kinda don't want to see it because I'm afraid it may ruin the first one for me.

Plus, it looks so much like The Raid...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the Stallone Dredd movie was shit.

only good thing was diane lane. she was hot.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Saw it last night, I really enjoyed it. Great use of 3D. Finally a film that earns a 18's cert (which is rare these days) very faithful adaptation of the comic, in regards to tone, style and violence.

As a genuine fan of the original, I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

I kinda don't want to see it because I'm afraid it may ruin the first one for me.

Plus, it looks so much like The Raid...

This is like saying you don't want to eat chocolate because it may ruin the taste of shit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
from fans so far seem very positive this is great, i don't really care how the critics react to it!

just imagine what the guy could do with a slightly bigger budget, not to go too overboard and i know he wants to introduce the dark judges in 3 if he gets that far, but i reckon he should add them in 2

its up there with my all time adult comic book films, like sin city, the crow, blade etc to compare it to things like avengers and batman is wrong!

maybe a rogue trooper film could get made, somewhere down the line, but i'd hope theyd continue the dredd trilogy first! providing like they have said they make more than $40 mill at the US box office!

Dark Judges is great for us, but mainstream audiences might need a little slower onramp. A bit of Anderson exposition in 2, then Dark Judges in 3. And yes they would HAVE to do the scene in the OP because that would then be the greatest scene in movie history - especially if they telegraphed the effect from several prior scenes with "normal" folks gazing into the face of fear.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I saw this on Friday night and thought it was a damn good film, a solid 8/10 for me. The soundtrack for this was godly. I hope this does well for a sequel because this production team and talent has done the world of Dredd with some justice with what they could do for this film.

megamerican

I've been cautiously optimistic about this one for awhile. Hopefully the momentum keeps up. I hate those ones that fall off a cliff right on opening day.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Just saw this and really really enjoyed it, some really great 3D slow-mo scenes.
No holds barred extreme violence and all the better for it.
Soundtrack is excellent, its there to complement the violence and its does that perfectly.

Karl Urban is a good Dredd. His facial expression and one-liner delivery is pretty good and Olivia Thirlby is OK as the young & naive new recruit.

Hope this does well on general release in the US cos I would love to see a sequel.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, I never expected Urban to be that good. I thought that Stallone had the chin, but Urban's grimace and tone are simply perfect.

"Mama is not the law. I am the law".

Saw this on Tuesday, it was a ruddy good action romp.

I hope someone greenlights a second film, i'd like to see something from the same team albeit with a bigger budget and larger scope. I think the setting worked for introducing the character, now let him loose in Megacity One.

navanman

I liked the subtle hints to how crime is a standard part of Mega City One.
The mall is opening in 30 mins while the blood is being cleared off the floor, the guy who was run over by the van in the intro chase.

It's just a great film. Violent as hell and funny in a way that I wasn't anticipating. It's also lean a fuck - there's zero flab or superfluous exposition to bog it down. It feels like a welcome antidote to some of the portentous and overblown stuff I've seen this year. I expect it'll bomb hard in the states but it really doesn't deserve to.

Going in I figured the reliance on contemporary vehicles and weapons would hurt the film, but coming out I thought it worked in its favour. Mega City One really felt like a city in decline in a world where humanity's best days have already passed. The reliance on old technology seemed indicative of a society that's having to scavenge and make do with ever diminishing resources, and the city's increasing reliance on 200 storey veritical slums to house its population felt like an extension of that. I don't want to overstate it but it felt like a reasonably plausible (and very depressing) vision of the future. The mix of ground level Jo-burg and high rise Mega City One worked better than it had any right to. I really can't wait to see it again.

Caught a US pre-screening with a friend. I'd say this movie is the best possible version of itself. Not for everyone, but if you're hankering for the simple pleasures of balls-to-the-wall-ery, definitely check it out. Urban's tone and lower-face-acting were exquisite.

black_13

Banned
daaaa FUCK!!!! A remake that's actually good???? Man this is pretty damn shocking.

Will definitely check this out next week.

I saw this a couple of days ago, I'm not really that big a fan of action movies but I thought it was pretty good. It surprised me how empty the cinema was though, although it was around lunch time on a weekday.

Metalmarc

daaaa FUCK!!!! A remake that's actually good???? Man this is pretty damn shocking.

Will definitely check this out next week.

not a remake of the stallone film, its based on the comics, it has NOTHING much in common with stallones one

as for a copy of the raid!

the raid STOLE its plot from dredd!! how? cos the dredd script was leaked online in 2010 if anyone here read it , so the raid COPIED the leaked script from dredd! but altered a few things obviously and they rushed it out first

Snaku

Banned
TDP1G.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd just like to remind my fellow gaffers that this is a low budget film with a very small focus. Don't go in expecting anything particularly flashy.

Keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed.

Grisby

Cool this is getting positive reviews. I skipped Resident Evil this past week and was saving my bad movie money for this flick. Looks like it might be a surprising turn of events though!

quickwhips

This movie is really good. I saw it in philly a week before it came out. I will be going to watch it again soon. I enjoyed that he didn't take off his helmet. I felt they tried keep it about the character vs about the person playing him.

navanman

The final action peice of the film had the best 3d I've ever experienced. I wanted to put my hands out and grab that awesome effects.

Just saw this film with some friends, was pretty great. It was refreshing to see a 90 minute film that just felt very focused with no filler, I know that probably came from the low budget but it worked out really well

Woorloog

Banned
So, does this keep the feel of the Dredd comics?
Considering the positive reviews, i'm kinda interested in seeing this but only if it feels like proper Dredd.
Won't watch this in 3d though, i cannot stand it. Hate wearing 3d glasses over normal glasses.

Considering the positive reviews, i'm kinda interested in seeing this but only if it feels like proper Dredd.
Won't watch this in 3d though, i cannot stand it. Hate wearing 3d glasses over normal glasses.

Everything looks a little more contemporary than the comics, but other than that it feels pretty faithful including some seriously cheesy lines from Dredd. Obviously if you can't stand the glasses then don't bother with it but I have to say this is the first time since Avatar that I saw a film where I thought the 3D was worthwhile.

Zampano

Yes. I'd say this is probably the most authentic comic adaptation so far. It's as Dredd as we're ever going to get.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It's an excellent version of Dredd, although the budget prevents it from being totally accurate. They didn't have money to create tons of futuristic props, so they reused old, trashed real world vehicles and mixed them with fictional ones. It kinda works, as it creates a world with serious scarcity problems and in need of reusing old hardware just to keep going. Most of the weapons are also "old" (you can tell they have reused South African Vektor rifles with tactical rails and shit) but again, it's not something distracting.

Yes. I'd say this is probably the most authentic comic adaptation so far. It's as Dredd as we're ever going to get.
Ayup. I can't even imagine how they could make a better Dredd without setting the budget on fire. It really is extremely close to the original material, wardrobe and props notwithstanding.

I went today, I'm not a comic book fan nor really remember much of the last film but I loved this, pretty perfect popcorn flick.

The story is simple but that works it doesn't try to be over clever, the effects are good and there is a good amount of tension and violence.

I thought at first they may overdo the slow mo effects but it was used just right as well, also the villain is a believable scary bad ass.

I couldnt help thinking that it would make a good game though (kinect support and all :p )

Mr. Sam

I'd just like to remind my fellow gaffers that this is a low budget film with a very small focus. Don't go in expecting anything particularly flashy.

Keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed.

I think a pleasant surprise is much more likely. That said, Dredd's lore can get pretty wacky and wonderful, so I would like to see a bigger, badder sequel.

Oh, and if you like Dredd, you'll love this:

b7eW7.jpg

Top Bottom