• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

RS4-

It's either this or Cloud Atlas for me. I'm leaning more towards Cloud Atlas.

Yeah I didn't bother re-upping my membership...so I ended up missing out on tickets for Atlas.

$20 to see Dredd two weeks early though...hmmm!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Man that scene in the building reminds me of The Raid. If it's near that level then I'm so in for Dredd.

Facism

I've literally been binging on all my old 2000ad/megazine issues. just got to prog 1400 :eek: Really looking forward to seeing some creeps and scum get drokked up etc.

Ifrit

Who is the law, again?

funny-picture-31020.jpg

Metalmarc

Saw it 2pm today in 3D
(First time i gave a film a chance in 3d i the cinema and it was ok)
it was....... Great 8/10

Very Gritty, Brutal nothing like the previous one which we knew of course, the time honestly flew by and when the ending came i wanted it to carry on, bring on the sequel!!
about halfway in i thought i would definetley see this again in the cinema

Can I ask a stupid question given the title of the movie? Will this also be showing in traditional theaters? Based on the trailers I have no clue how this could be good, but the positive buzz has me intrigued. I kind of love the Stallone movie (yep, I said it, though I haven't seen it since I caught it opening day in theaters) and am a moderate fan of Dredd and his world, so my curiosity is piqued... but only in 2D. I can't see 3D effects and don't want to pay the vig for lower brightness, a second pair of glasses on top of my glasses, and a movie that just looks flat anyway to me.

Bleepey

Can I ask a stupid question given the title of the movie? Will this also be showing in traditional theaters? Based on the trailers I have no clue how this could be good, but the positive buzz has me intrigued. I kind of love the Stallone movie (yep, I said it, though I haven't seen it since I caught it opening day in theaters) and am a moderate fan of Dredd and his world, so my curiosity is piqued... but only in 2D. I can't see 3D effects and don't want to pay the vig for lower brightness, a second pair of glasses on top of my glasses, and a movie that just looks flat anyway to me.

A friend of mine watched it in 3d despite claiming it usually has no effect on him other than a headache and he said the 3d was really, really good.

AAequal

Banned
Violent you say? I thought this was another PG13 comic book movie, if that's not the case then color me intrigued.

Not sure what the deal is Stateside but it's an 18 here in the UK. I'll be goiing to see this on Thursday and I can't wait. I'm hoping for Verhoeven in his Robocop pomp levels of satire and violence.

mxgt

Banned
The nearest cinema showing this in 2D is quite a distance from me.

annoying, really want to see this but I despise 3d.

Somebody on another forum I frequent had this to say re: the issue of 3D, and since they're a million, billion, trillion times more articulate and erudite than I could ever hope to be I'm going to quote it verbatim:

If any of you have even the slightest love for Dredd/2000 AD in your hearts then I'm asking you to please stop being such a bunch of moany old tight-fisted buggers. I hate 3D more than all of you put together but I'm willing to suck it up this time because this is probably our last shot at getting a Dredd film and by all accounts so far, it's apparently pretty good.

You want to make a stand, don't go see MEGABUDGET MICHAEL BAY SHITFEST II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO, that can take the hit. This probably can't.

My view in a nutshell, but expressed a lot more eloquently.

The nearest cinema showing this in 2D is quite a distance from me.

annoying, really want to see this but I despise 3d.

One review talked about how they use the 3D in cool ways in it. Like when people are jacked up on the drug it starts messing with depth perception and whatnot. Sounds neat to me.

I saw this in 3D (which is worth it in my opinion) last night and thought it was great. It seemed like they were going for a much smaller budget version of Dredd and the tower block scenario helped with that.

The one downside is that I thought there wasn't enough scifi-ness to it. It seemed like what Mega City 1 would look like if it was built using current technology.

Dredd spelling out what he's going to do to "Ma Ma" and the other clan members over the tower block intercom was pretty bad ass. It was Stallone's "I am the law" but not completely cheesy and dumb.

So I'm a little confused about something with this movie: So the bad guys are dealing a drug that makes the user feel like everything is moving at a fraction of the actual speed. So does this mean that their reflexes would be heightened as well? It seems kind of like the opposite of what 'bad guy drugs' usually do in these movies (think of something like cocaine where the user is given crazy amounts of energy).
Or do they just not get high on their supply?
Even though they were aware of things around them at a much faster rate they still couldn't move fast enough to do anything about it.

The one downside is that I thought there wasn't enough scifi-ness to it. It seemed like what Mega City 1 would look like if it was built using current technology.

It's unfortunate, but it's also a trade-off. With a budget of $45m - half that of the Stallone film - they were never in a position to spunk a load of money on the screen. The guy who wrote the four star review in the Guardian made what I thought was a really good point:

The trade off in dialing back the futurism really works, by using real world stuff they stretch the budget further and give the film some scope, there's a car chase featuring the least futuristic vehicles you've ever seen and there are plenty of shots where they've just plonked a CGI city block onto real Johannesburg - it does have a bit of District 9 feel sometimes. But it works, gives the film a realistic, gritty look.

I don't doubt the decisions they've made were born out of necessity, but I think they've been pretty judicious in terms of how they've used their budget. I really hope it turns in a decent profit so we get dark judges and a more expansive Mega City One in the sequel.

A friend of mine watched it in 3d despite claiming it usually has no effect on him other than a headache and he said the 3d was really, really good.
Mine is an eye issue. I literally can't see the effect. Can't see it on 3DS, or anywhere else, and I've seen my share of 3D movies across all standards.

Metalmarc

Violent you say? I thought this was another PG13 comic book movie, if that's not the case then color me intrigued.

it has lots of brutal stuff like:

brief flash of skinning, brains splattered on the ground, eyes gouged out, head blown off etc

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Great movie. I hope there's a sequel and they go full on batshit insane rather than playing it mostly safe.

ezekial45

Banned
Just curious; are there more "slow-mo" shootouts in the movie? I was immensely impressed with the clip they released a couple months ago.

That scene alone convinced me to see it in 3D.

Sanjay

Sarah Connor's finally gone mad.

The synopsis reminded of The Raid.

Saw this yesterday:-

Pretty much The Raid with Guns instead of martial arts so I fucking loved it and the OST was awesome. I want more sequels!

Also Olivia Thirlby was well fit, reminded me of Rachel McAdams.

Just curious; are there more "slow-mo" shootouts in the movie? I was immensely impressed with the clip they released a couple months ago.

Yes there are more, they don't do these slow-mo scenes for no reason, its integrated into the story which was a cool way to get in some slow-mo action that is justified.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Saw it yesterday with a friend. This is the Dredd movie we've been waiting for since Stallone's atrocity. It is fast, nimble, dark and brutal. The plot is also paper thin, but it helps to keep the movie super focused; there's not a single slow or boring moment. Great acting too. Lena is absolutely believable as a Dredd villain and Urban owned that helmet.

Random musings:

-Blood and chunks of flesh are thrown all over the place. The "flyers" shown in the trailer SPOILER
and Mama's death
are EWWWWWWWW.
-I liked how Anderson's MILD SPOILER
vulnerability pretty much disappeared after the first shoot out.
Badass with a hearth of gold, but badass above all.
-Mega-City One had a very noticeable South African feel and didn't look as futuristic as in the comics. Then again, I envision Mega-City One as a fucked up version of Jo'burg. At the same time it kind of looked like the construction of megablocks just started, so maybe there will be room to show more stuff in a sequel.
-Talking about that, I'm a bit miffed about the lack of MILD SPOILER
mutants and freaks.
There are some cyborgs, but hardly outlandish stuff.
-Re: Sequels. I kind of liked that MILD SPOILER
all ends are tied at the end of the movie. If there's a sequel, I very much doubt it will have anything to do with the first movie.
-The soundtrack was excellent. Not exactly memorable, but kicked hard and fast at all the required moments.
-The Lawgiver was better than I thought. BIG-GISH SPOILER
exploding hands, wohoo!
-The Lawmaster is poop.
-I saw in 2D since I use glasses and I hate 3D, and now I repent. Dredd was CLEARLY filmed to be much more enjoyable in 3D, even if there's not a lot of "in your face movies". I got pissed at myself the second I saw the first Slo Mo moment, but that feeling only continued through the movie. I may have to buy another ticket...
-My friend, who's a complete Dredd illiterate, LOVED the movie and came out of the theatre completely pumped out for a sequel. Good job, I guess.

8/10. With a bigger budget to jack up the futuristic stuff it'd be 9/10.

Kal

Watched this yesterday. I had no prior experience with the franchise so I went in expecting tripe but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. It is a very good movie. The gore was simply delicious!!! The story is decent even though there are parts were the writing gets lazy
Anderson having no idea she was getting disarmed wasn't quite believable and not doing anything about if afterwards was hard to swallow (she's a telepath - would have worked better if she was knocked out) and the part where Anderson rescues Dredd was cheesy as fuck and could have been handled better
but these are just minor issues that only take a little away from my enjoyment of the movie. Please go and support this movie :)

Zampano

Going to see this later. Psyched.

Huge Dredd fan as a teenager - 2000AD is some of the most interesting sci fi you'll read. Gritty ABC Warriors film next please!

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, this all sounds great. We still have another two weeks before we see it here in the states.

Is there any indication how the movie is performing so far overseas?

Metalmarc

from fans so far seem very positive this is great, i don't really care how the critics react to it!

just imagine what the guy could do with a slightly bigger budget, not to go too overboard and i know he wants to introduce the dark judges in 3 if he gets that far, but i reckon he should add them in 2

its up there with my all time adult comic book films, like sin city, the crow, blade etc to compare it to things like avengers and batman is wrong!

maybe a rogue trooper film could get made, somewhere down the line, but i'd hope theyd continue the dredd trilogy first! providing like they have said they make more than $40 mill at the US box office!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
holy shit at the rt, I know I know not a lot of reviews, but I didn't expect it to have all 29 reviews fresh so far.

Top Bottom