• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - Final Demo

Zenaku

The final demo is out on the Japanese eShop, at 1906 blocks (roughly 244MB) which makes it possibly the largest demo released thus far of any 3DS game.

The demo starts with an event scene, between the group and a leader of a village/city. They've been asked to help rebuild Nolende (Tiz's hometown) but want help due to the monsters becoming more active lately.

This is the special street pass feature that was recently revealed. You're given a map of the village, with numerous points of interest where you can build buildings or clear rocks. Each action takes time, with the only actions you can take at the beginning being to build an item shop (15 mins), cut down trees to make a new path (2 hours) or remove rubble to access a new area (3 hours). The amount of time decreases depending on how many people you put to work (2 people can clear the rubble in 1hr 30mins, 3 can clear it in 1 hour, 6 can do it in 30 minutes), and how many you can put to work depends on the villages population, which increases by 1 each time you street pass someone.

Once a building has been built (such as the item shop, or weapon shop) you may get presents from time to time based on the shops level (upgraded by having people work on the shop). Items supplied by the shops can be bought from any red-clothed adventurer.

Street pass shares information, including your main Mii, equipment, play time, job/ability count, Nolende population, etc.

When you play the full game your friends and Nolende population will carry over, as well as play bonuses. There are 7 play bonuses in all, which are obtained through playing the demo. The demo's scenario is not included in the main game.

The demo includes the Knight, Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Ninja, Super Star, Valkyrie and Sword Master jobs. Areas include a small area of the world map, a storage cavern, a forest and a tower.

The job abilities are varied, and some are amazingly useful; one may let you attack twice from a single "attack" command (meaning a possible 8 attacks in a turn from one character) with others increasing BP or counter-attacking when attacked, or ignoring enemy defence when they default. I can't imagine what kind of abilities are being saved for later levels (although they may have changed the order for the sake of the demo, who knows).

I've just finished the cavern and got the second play bonus (healing items and the like) and am at 2 hrs 44min play time; I wouldn't be surprised to end up spending 6-10 hours on the demo, considering how strong the enemies in the tower are.

For those that may wonder, Anies and Idea's Ninja jobs show their pants when they attack, and it seems Anies covers her wonderful legs with tights (or possibly leggings) on her default costume.

zoukka

For those that may wonder, Anies and Idea's Ninja jobs show their pants when they attack, and it seems Anies covers her wonderful legs with tights (or possibly leggings) on her default costume.

Well this is all the info I needed, thanks.

M3d10n

Is the demo unlimited? It should be considering the features. It's also interesting Square-Enix added social game like features to it (stuff that takes hours to get done). I wonder if the 3DS notification system can be used to warn users things are ready.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is the demo unlimited? It should be considering the features. It's also interesting Square-Enix added social game like features to it (stuff that takes hours to get done). I wonder if the 3DS notification system can be used to warn users things are ready.

There are no unlimited 3DS demos as far as i know - but you have 30 replays, which should be more than enough ;-)

@Zenaku
Thanks for the impressions, sounds great. Can we expect a video ?

Sophia

There are no unlimited 3DS demos as far as i know - but you have 30 replays, which should be more than enough ;-)

@Zenaku

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy demo is unlimited on the North American eShop.

3TxHb.jpg

Really interested in this game, I seriously hope it gets a release in the UK but the chances of that happening are looking slimmer by the day.

Boerseun

Banned
Really interested in this game, I seriously hope it gets a release in the UK but the chances of that happening are looking slimmer by the day.

Why do you reckon that?

This game looks like a sure thing for a Western release. Just because we don't have release dates yet doesn't mean it's not happening.

FLAguy954

Why do you reckon that?

This game looks like a sure thing for a Western release. Just because we don't have release dates yet doesn't mean it's not happening.

It's not about release dates but actual confirmation, and we have neither from Square-Enix.

Zenaku

Well this is all the info I needed, thanks.

Always happy to help.

I'm pretty sure it's 30 times, but I didn't pay full attention and don't want to waste a use to check right away.

@Zenaku
Unfortunately I can only take videos with my 3DS (no smartphone) so for videos you'll need to wait for the usual sources. All I can give is more impressions or info.

Saving can be done much like 4WoL, speaking to the red-clothed adventurers, but you can also save anywhere on the world map with the mini-menu found on the touchscreen (save, wireless features and Nolende Village). The save screen shows the word "save" followed by 2 empty slots and "title-screen"; whether they're extra save slots or something else entirely I don't know.

For Nolende Village, people that can't street pass other game owners and get more people to repair the village may like to know that time passes for the village even when the system is in sleep mode. Obviously you need to leave the game running (and not pause to the Home menu) but it means getting better equipment and the like is easier. The demo and full game can street pass one another too, so if you have more than 1 3DS in the household you can streetpass between the 2 and make it a little easier.

When something's finished in the Village, the mini-menu icon on the touchscreen glows to notify you.

The Friend Summon feature is used by recording a turn. You choose the "Summon Send" option in the battle menu and that character, in their job costume, using the moves you use directly after, are recorded, and that is what is sent to friends so they can summon you. The summon will disappear once used, but can be sent indefinitely, and the point is to send things that may be useful (like healing your party, or using a powerful attack).

Famassu

It's not about release dates but actual confirmation, and we have neither from Square-Enix.
4 Warriros of Light took, what, 1,5 years to arrive outside Japan. I wouldn't really be worried even though they haven't talked about BD's localizations at all. They'll probably finish the Japanese version, start working on the localization and then announce the game's western release when they are a few months from release, much like they did with Theatrhythm & Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Exentryk

Battle system is a little slow though. And those Random Encounters... :|

Everything else is just beautiful though. It's worth buying just for the art and music.

StayDead

Everything else is just beautiful though. It's worth buying just for the art and music.

The random encounters are fine, the battling was a lot slower beforehand, but if you want to brave 3 times and attack 4 times with every one then you'll take a while since there's a little delay between attack options.

My party has been Deis as a Swordmaster, Idea as a Ninja, Ringabell as Red Mage and Anies as a white mage. It was going fine, but the start was a little odd as they changed it so you have to buy the spells rather than getting them as your job ability levels up.

Zenaku

Nnggghh, I love the pre-rendered backgrounds! Most wanted 3DS title by far!

Not pre-rendered, hand drawn. Everything. It's beautiful to behold, and truly looks like CG in some cases.

Battle system can be sped up by holding "A".

I'm at what I think is the last boss, at around 6.5 hours. It has 7500HP, does roughly 3-500 damage per hit (if I'm not defaulting) and takes roughly 50-150 damage per attack. The game won't be easy people, especially if you don't defend when an enemy braves 3 times.

Not related to the demo, but 4Gamer revealed the as-until-now unknown "finishing moves". There are several per weapon type, and you can change their names or the quotes characters say when using them. You can also alter their effects by setting "parts" to the moves, letting you customize them in nearly every way.

The random encounters are fine, the battling was a lot slower beforehand, but if you want to brave 3 times and attack 4 times with every one then you'll take a while since there's a little delay between attack options.

My party has been Deis as a Swordmaster, Idea as a Ninja, Ringabell as Red Mage and Anies as a white mage. It was going fine, but the start was a little odd as they changed it so you have to buy the spells rather than getting them as your job ability levels up.

I don't think they changed it, the previous demo just started you with all the spells in your inventory and obtaining Red/Black/White Magic Level X just unlocked your ability to use them.

KTallguy

Banned
What does "braving" your members do?
Why do you have to pick fight four times??
Edit: NM I see, it allows you to move four times. But why does he keep using it... and is it a finite resource?

Why does the attack animation look so fast and ugly?
Other than that, amazing looking. Too bad they picked some shitty places to fuck up.

What does "braving" your members do?
Why do you have to pick fight four times??
Edit: NM I see, it allows you to move four times. But why does he keep using it... and is it a finite resource?

Why does the attack animation look so fast and ugly?
Other than that, amazing looking. Too bad they picked some shitty places to fuck up.

Braving lets you take future turns all at once. So like, if one of your party members uses Brave four times in the first round of combat, they get to take four turns immediately, but they're not gonna be able to act for the next three rounds of combat. So theoretically, the system helps you clear out scrub random encounters and allows for some strategy in boss fights (when to go all in with your attacks or when to save them up in case you need some emergency healing), but who knows how it'll work out in the final version.

The animation looks like that because the person playing it is using the fastforward button to speed things up.

urfe

I downloaded this, but I haven't gotten into it yet.

I played about five minutes, and it seemed to not start at the beginning of the game, so it felt weird getting really into it.

I got some time today, so I'll probably give it a try. Due to the slowness of the battles (despite the fast forward button), I may pick up Layton vs. Ace Attorney instead.

I suspect we will get it here, I mean the 3DS is one fire. Question is when? Im hoping before the holidays, but probably by March 2013.

urfe

So I'm playing the demo, and reading everything carefully, and what does it say?

"The scenario in this demo is not in the full game."

Amazing!

Apologies if this was already said.

urfe

First town has houses that you can't enter. Big pet peeve of mine. Almost as bad as when FFXII had NPCs you couldn't talk to.

Grandiosity over fundamentals: the downfall of the genre.

zroid

Banned
First town has houses that you can't enter. Big pet peeve of mine. Almost as bad as when FFXII had NPCs you couldn't talk to.

Even though I understand what you're saying, the example you cite is an odd one. Why would having the ability to enter all houses be considered a "fundamental"? Seems like, realistically, there should be at least a few that you can't.

urfe

Perhaps I want things based on old RPGs too much.

For there to be somewhere inaccessible in a game seems wrong to me. Having a door that doesn't at the very least say "it's locked" or "we can't go in there, it's someone's private house!" The only purpose of the house is to show a big city, but they cannot actually fully create it.

I much prefer a town being only one house and shops, than thousands of houses in the background you can't get to.

That being said, Bravely Default seems like a really really good game. It's one thing of newer games that I really dislike, and symbolizes to me the lack of interest companies have in RPG fundamentals.

JordanN

Banned
This needs to be localized dammit. I don't understand why Squenix is holding out on such flagship title.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

That's ok. I don't need to be able to go into every house or talk to every visible NPC. I think FFXII had like 2000 to 3000 visible NPCs and about a third or quarter (the Ultimania Omega had a breakdown of NPCs by race and what not) could be spoken to. I don't really need excessive but ultimately pointless trips into houses with nothing and NPCs that don't say anything beyond "help me the monsters are coming". The last thing I need are the token FFXIII NPCs that repeat mostly the same thing with different words.

This needs to be localized dammit. I don't understand why Squenix is holding out on such flagship title.

I've said in other threads before. It's typical of SE and many Japanese publishers/developers to only announce localisation plans after the Japanese release. So if we don't hear anything 6 months or so after it has been released in Japan then it's time to wonder. Not that i endourse this practice anyway. They really need to stop doing this and bring in better marketing/localisation plans, the type they have for FFXIII-2. Instead of treating the western countries like an after thought.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Perhaps I want things based on old RPGs too much.

For there to be somewhere inaccessible in a game seems wrong to me. Having a door that doesn't at the very least say "it's locked" or "we can't go in there, it's someone's private house!" The only purpose of the house is to show a big city, but they cannot actually fully create it.

I much prefer a town being only one house and shops, than thousands of houses in the background you can't get to.

That being said, Bravely Default seems like a really really good game. It's one thing of newer games that I really dislike, and symbolizes to me the lack of interest companies have in RPG fundamentals.

In general I agree with you, but really, you're complaining about the wrong game. Bravery Default provides more player agency than any other recent Square game I can recall (aside from maybe Dimensions, which I haven't played).

Zornica

Banned
oh nice, the overworld music doesn't start from the begin after a battle. I hate it when loops keep starting from the beginning and you can only hear the first 15 seconds until the next battle pops up and resets the loop.

urfe

In general I agree with you, but really, you're complaining about the wrong game. Bravery Default provides more player agency than any other recent Square game I can recall (aside from maybe Dimensions, which I haven't played).

I think because it's so good, I'm being so picky. Besides Dragon Quest, I haven't enjoyed much by Square-Enix in the last few years. It also bugged me in XII because it was a game I liked.

No reason picking a part something you don't like. :)

urfe

I take back my thoughts about the battles being slow. They've warmed up to me, and while I hate that when you chose which enemy to attack the camera angle changes (bad for being fast paced), it's such a small complaint, and even the random battles are fun to strategize through.

Didn't want to buy this game, but it's so good that I think I'll have to.

I haven't been out in a while to try the Street Pass stuff. Looking forward to do that.

Top Bottom