• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Ouya take Wii's place next generation?

One of the main reason the Wii has been so successful, was how cheap it was. Another was that it had a number of games targeted at some of the more "casual" gamers. And the VC pulled a lot of people in too with its retro classics. And of course there was the occasional harcore title which interested the more core gamers, though not really a lot in the end.

Well, the Ouya is only going to be $99 at launch, while the Wii U is gonna be $300 for the cheap option. All of its games will have at least some free portion to it, so gamers will get some enjoyment out of it without spending any more money on games.

Since the system will be extremely easy to port cell phone games to, and in fact is already known to be getting games like Canabalt and Angry Birds, it will have a large number of games targeted towards casual gamers.

And for the hardcore classic gamers, they can always root the device and install some Android emulators, which already take advantage of game controllers like the Ouya will have.

For the core gamers, there will be games like Final Fantasy and stuff, but also OnLive which gets AAA games like Assassin's Creed and Darkstalkers, which also has free demos.

So could the Ouya be the Wii of the next generation, with its budget pricing and good mix of genres for all gamer types? It's missing the unique control scheme, though it *does* have a touchpad on the controller...

Ouya.jpg

I'm not really sure who the Ouya is targetting. "Core" gamers will want the big systems, and won't need this thing to play their games. "Casual" gamers are happy with their iPhones, and won't see a reason to spend $100 on an Ouya.

linko9

Nintendo is a giant company with billions of dollars in the bank (even before the Wii launched), with years upon years of experience in making games and game consoles. Ouya is like ten people who thought it would be fun to make an Android console. So I think it would be exceptionally unlikely.

Salsa

to clarify my post:

- doesnt have any sort of known brand associated to it

- Android space is based around people messing with it, customizing it and whatnot. It's not really targeted as a neatly-made easy to use experience for the everyday user to use, and even if this is, many tried before and none succeeded at making that kind of experience out of it

- it doesnt have any important partners

- there wont be nearly enough of them

- no ad space, no everyday-stores selling it

- huge etc, mostly based at the fact that you are crazy if you think casual people will ever be aware of this as much as they were aware of a Nintendo console

Price was just a small reason why the Wii was as successful as it was. The games were the main reason that it blew up the way it did. What are the chances that Ouya will have exclusive games on par or better than what Nintendo can create?

DrNeroCF

Sure! Whatever keeps the shovelware off of Wii U :p

Seriously, though, I don't think you can truly say a system has AAA games available on it because of onLive...

Zips

Why do people keep talking about this Ouya thing as if it actually has a chance of being like a 4th mainstream console?

I haven't paid much attention to it, but it's a kickstarter venture, right? And they got like a couple million for it or something. For the ad campaign and expenditures to produce, ship, and convince stores to carry it that's pocket change - especially when it's not being put out by a company people know and has actually done other things.

There have always been little knock-off consoles that have pre-installed games or do whatever. This thing has zero chance of competing with the 3 main consoles.

Also - has a physical model even been produced? All I've ever seen seem to be concept/rendering pictures like the ones in this thread.

As being the cheapest place to develop console titles?

Uh... yeah.

No guarantee it will work out, but we've seen huge shake ups in this industry many times.

I can't discount it, even though it's very unlikely.

No.

If Ouya sells ONE million consoles worldwide I will be shocked.

It has no first party game to make it attractive. Price is irrelevant in this situation.

ToxicAdam

You forgot the part where the Wii not only played off the public's desire for new Nintendo games but also offered the promise to relive old Nintendo games that adults used to play. Not to mention a control scheme that harkened back to those old days where controllers weren't so intimidating to a casual.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think that's the first time I've ever seen that controller.

Chinese ripoff consoles have better looking controllers than that. What a joke.

mantidor

Yeah the wii didn't sell because it was cheap, it sold because of the innovative controller PLUS the software to go with it.

And that is what is important, no matter how many hardware innovation you bring to the table, only software will move the machines. I do hope the Ouya guys thought of a killer app, if not they are in for a rude awakening.

You can buy used Xbox 360's for $100.
Used Wii's are $75.
Price wise it's not affordable,imo.

Only way they can be successful is if they marketed it against media players/streamers like Roku,etc...

Top Bottom