• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Ouya take Wii's place next generation?

TDLink

Nope. I am honestly going to be surprised if Ouya even comes out...and if it does I'll still be surprised if it sells very well at all.

Air

Banned
Without a proper advertising budget, no way. Price doesn't mean anything when you don't have mindshare. That said, if the word of mouth of the ouya is good, than I think it will sell a buttload, but it will in no way sell more than the wii without that ad budget.

JDSN

Banned
I Dont wanna get into an argument about what is a hardcore gamer, but why would anyone that owns any of the major consoles or even a tablet would have the need to own this?

Oh. Thank you for this...
let's see, all games f2p?
Yeah... I don't think so.

No, all games are free to play in some way or other, they aren't f2p games. That means all games must have some free aspect to them, such as a free demo where you pay a one time fee to unlock the full game.

Why do people keep talking about this Ouya thing as if it actually has a chance of being like a 4th mainstream console?

I haven't paid much attention to it, but it's a kickstarter venture, right? And they got like a couple million for it or something. For the ad campaign and expenditures to produce, ship, and convince stores to carry it that's pocket change - especially when it's not being put out by a company people know and has actually done other things.

There have always been little knock-off consoles that have pre-installed games or do whatever. This thing has zero chance of competing with the 3 main consoles.

It got $8 1/2 million, only needed $950,000 to become a real product. The one-time expenditure to produce a complex piece of electronics at a factory in China or Taiwan is $100,000 to $150,000 (with 60,000 pre-preorders that they already have the full money from, that one-time $150,000 cost is only $2.50 per $99 unit, though some people paid a lot more than $99). After that it's all parts, which they can easily do for well under $99 since they are using all off-the-shelf parts.

As for an ad campaign, their Kickstarter was a great start at marketing, because of all the records it broke and how many people forked over money for it (it's gonna start with a base of 60,000 owners 1 to 2 months before it even hits retail). And that was without spending a dime on marketing (well, they had to make that video...) And as for convincing stores to carry it, both Gamestop and Game have said they would carry it.

And don't forget that the founder worked at IGN so has a lot of contacts through them for marketing, and one of their consulant investors is Ed Fries, who was in charge of the XBox project at Microsoft. And the system and controller designer also has done design work for Herman Miller, PUMA, One Laptop per Child, Jawbone, MINI, See Better to Learn Better, General Electric, Swarovski, Samsung, Jimmyjane, and Prada. Their lead Engineer worked at Amazon, specifically working on the Kindle. So sure, nobody's heard of Boxer8 (the company behind Ouya), but their team is far from unknown.

fritolay

If retailers pick it up it could have some success, not Wii success. However what about those mobile hand held consoles that had emulators on them and such, they didn't get off the ground. 32x or something. So why didn't they? Word of mouth, it was not well known and only hardcore geeks or gamers bought them. And they were not in stores to sell.

The Wii was the had to have gift replacing elmo for a year or two. That is what you have to do to beat the Wii any Christmas. That and oh no we are out of stock chit chat by holding back stock.

Now if Gamestop stocks it like they say they want to, and it get's in Walmart, and they sell gift cards for games beside them, then people will develop for it because people will have money to burn with the gift cards.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ouya doesn't have a library of established mascots.

It's a fun idea. I'm looking forward to receiving mine! Every one of the big 3 easily has the capability of porting the most successful games to their platform. It's the business logic that Ouya has introduced that is fascinating.

My nephew who is 11 years old wants to buy one just because it's $99. I asked him, what about the games? All he said is that it didn't matter to him and that it must eventually get something.....WTF?

Does anyone think this thing will sell with the big boys?

Sure! Whatever keeps the shovelware off of Wii U :p

Seriously, though, I don't think you can truly say a system has AAA games available on it because of onLive...
You joke but I almost anticipate people begging for cute small games that make inventive use of the WiiU touch pad in lieu of third parties not making substantial use of it. iOS shovelware would be perfect.
GameStop in the US and Game in the UK have both said they will most likely stock Ouya.
Well that's something but I guess this product will sell more in South America and developing markets. Maybe even India when Sony seems to have raised the price of software there.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Anything's possible. There's definitely a void in the low-price market, and there's a lot of gamers who have become pretty disenfranchised with the inflexibility of pricing on consoles' closed marketplaces.

That said, it's highly, hiiiiighly unlikely.

As for an ad campaign, their Kickstarter was a great start at marketing, because of all the records it broke and how many people forked over money for it (it's gonna start with a base of 60,000 owners 1 to 2 months before it even hits retail). And that was without spending a dime on marketing (well, they had to make that video...) And as for convincing stores to carry it, both Gamestop and Game have said they would carry it.

Getting attention through Kickstarter really isn't a big deal. Even Cheetahmen 2 managed to get fully funded, and that's a game that everyone knows is horrible. Ouya is going to be competing against new consoles from Sony, Nintendo and MS. All of them are going to be putting 10's of millions of dollars into marketing those consoles. How are they going to compete with that when they needed gamers to give them millions of dollars just so they could get them system off the ground?

Krilekk

Banned
You need hundreds of millions of dollar to enter a market as a newcomer. Without proper marketing Ouya is sent to die, they are lucky to sell 100k units cause they don't have the money to market the thing. And then there is the question why one should buy such a thing. Its performance on paper is barely that of the original Xbox. Yeah, some people seem to think that tablet and smartphone games are gorgeous and console like yada yada yada. You're in for a really bad surprise once you start to play the same games on a 55" TV instead of a 4.5" screen.

fritolay

One side of the fence - Mobile gaming will never take off, no good controls, the Wii will never sell well we want tradition controllers not some gimick, they don't have good enough graphics, cheap games destroy the industry, nothing good will come out for the iOS or Android...

The other side of the fence - We don't want locked into subscriptions, locked down hardware, ads on our paid for live services, 60 dollar games that are not that enjoyable that you must pay to play online, and then pay DLC to progress...

Everyone - We want cheap games, cheap hardware, no advertisements, and hardware we can do anything we want with

Pound_layer_cake.jpg

I think there is room for both sides of the fence, and therefore customers.

What is happening in Japan with consoles vs mobile gaming? How many play traditional major systems vs phone games I wonder?

Izick

I have no idea why I would want to buy one. I mean I'm going to, but I have no idea why. What's the appeal to normal people? Play Android games on a TV more easily, and with a proper controller?

Darryl

Banned
look how much wiis were going for at launch and even up to a year and a half after release. i don't think price is a very big factor.

I have no idea why I would want to buy one. I mean I'm going to, but I have no idea why. What's the appeal to normal people? Play Android games on a TV more easily, and with a proper controller?

If that's your reason for wanting it, don't forget the $99 pricetag. Right now if you want to play an Android game on a TV at 1080p, you're gonna need a $600 tablet.

You need hundreds of millions of dollar to enter a market as a newcomer. Without proper marketing Ouya is sent to die, they are lucky to sell 100k units cause they don't have the money to market the thing. And then there is the question why one should buy such a thing. Its performance on paper is barely that of the original Xbox. Yeah, some people seem to think that tablet and smartphone games are gorgeous and console like yada yada yada. You're in for a really bad surprise once you start to play the same games on a 55" TV instead of a 4.5" screen.

After watching this video, I don't see a reason not to buy one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

It sounds interesting. If they lower the price to $50, I don't see it being that much of a risk to the consumer. The only issue is since everything is "free to play" I don't see how the big game developers would make any money on it. Indie developers could get noticed for making a good game but that's it.

Coolwhip

Banned
Very very very doubtful. It lacks the mobility of phones, the innovation of the Wii and the 3rd party games of ps360.

fritolay

If that's your reason for wanting it, don't forget the $99 pricetag. Right now if you want to play an Android game on a TV at 1080p, you're gonna need a $600 tablet.

Yeah but does Joe and Sue down the road know this? No. They are the ones buying the cheap tablets in drug stores because then they can say they bought a tablet. If this thing was in those stores they have a chance as people will be happy to buy a new gaming console.

Everyone seems to know people that didn't get the console they wanted. They got the one that was on sale and probably was already dead out the door. (Atari 7800 or Turbo Graphx16 instead of a NES) But parents buy things for kids even if they don't know what they are buying, Think of the crap games sold and bought for presents just on the whim. It was bought just that it is in the category, a tablet, a video game, a video game system.

If they can get this system into that category, and actually deliver to store shelves, then yeah it will take off.

The other recent failed systems, NeoGeo and 3DO, did they make it to the major retailers or stay in the video game specialty stores? I think they stayed specialty only and the systems that went into major stores at that time Sears, Kmart, Walmart, they sold.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What a ridiculous concept.

This thing is not going to be ultra-successful. I'm still skeptical that it's even going to launch and have real support.

Izick

I mean, I'm just buying it because I hate myself and it's a video game thing. I mean, is there really a want to even play Android games on the TV? If it's out there then hey, good on them, but I just don't see it.

If I can play that new Shadowrun game on this then I'd be happy though. That'd be cool.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Why the hell would I want to play an Android game on my TV? Seriously.

fritolay

I mean, I'm just buying it because I hate myself and it's a video game thing. I mean, is there really a want to even play Android games on the TV? If it's out there then hey, good on them, but I just don't see it.

If I can play that new Shadowrun game on this then I'd be happy though. That'd be cool.

One issue I am not sure how they will resolve, without maybe special drivers or emulation, is the controller support on Android games. Unless the games are updated just for Android. If you use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with a phone and Android games, the games are always "aware" of the keyboard for WASD movement. (minecraft) I'm sure they figured that out before the whole funding thing they kickstarted but it is something I have been wondering.

fritolay

Why the hell would I want to play an Android game on my TV? Seriously.

You don't think kids want to? Do you know how many play simple games on their phones and would love to enjoy the experience with others? Try sharing the experience trying to hug a 4 inch screen. Then let them play it on a big screen. There is an audience, it just has to be delivered properly. Honestly it would be like have XBLA games on your phone, and asking why the hell would I want to play that on my TV. I don't see a difference. It is still mobile vs console gaming preferences.

jkanownik

Here's where OUYA sits on the Linux/Wii continuum:

Linux-OUYA------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wii

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You don't think kids want to? Do you know how many play simple games on their phones and would love to enjoy the experience with others? Try sharing the experience trying to hug a 4 inch screen. Then let them play it on a big screen. There is an audience, it just has to be delivered properly. Honestly it would be like have XBLA games on your phone, and asking why the hell would I want to play that on my TV. I don't see a difference. It is still mobile vs console gaming preferences.

No, I don't think kids want to. I think they want to play them on their mobile devices, because that's the only thing that really makes those games appealing--the fact that they are on a mobile device.

Reclaimer

Ouya won't replace a new Nintendo console until Ouya plays new Nintendo games.

I'm still excited to see Ouyas full potential, and preordered one myself. But to answer the OP question again... No fucking way. :)

fritolay

No, I don't think kids want to. I think they want to play them on their mobile devices, because that's the only thing that really makes those games appealing--the fact that they are on a mobile device.

Well do some prefer to play games on their phone when they could play games on a 50 inch TV and 300 dollar plus console? Yes. Why is this? Simple straight forward games that you can jump in and out of and they are cheap so they can have more games.

I really think to some people phone games are like when people played NES games when that system was out, but most all games are less than 10 dollars! They don't care so much about the graphics, but want to have some fun and at a price they can play a lot of different games. Why rent a game when you can download and buy one from your home for the same or cheaper price? Why get gamefly when for 15 dollars, the rental of 2 games a month, you can buy one blockbuster game each month?

Izick

Not to mention it doesn't have Nintendo's name, cache, or a gimmick that can draw a mass market appeal.

(Gimmick doesn't necessarily mean bad.)

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wii Sports
Wii sports Resort
Wii Play
Wii fit
Wii fit plus
New super mario bros Wii
Mario kart Wii
Just dance series

All near or over 20m sold WW.

Software drives hardware... so probably not.

Mooreberg

No. It is targeted towards a specialized segment of the market that runs counter to what made Wii successful. I don't foresee Ouya TV ads happening.

Triple U

Banned
It could I guess but, no it won't happen. It goes for a completely different market than the Big three, Nintendo included.

see5harp

Is ouya going to have hundreds of millions in marketing or spots on Oprah, Today or the Super Bowl? Not even close homie.

pswii60

One of the main reason the Wii has been so successful, was how cheap it was. Another was that it had a number of games targeted at some of the more "casual" gamers. And the VC pulled a lot of people in too with its retro classics. And of course there was the occasional harcore title which interested the more core gamers, though not really a lot in the end.

I completely disagree with your reasons why Wii was so successful. Gamecube was cheap. Wii still sold at ridiculous prices on Ebay. XBLA/PSN are brimming with quality games for "casual gamers" and retro classics.

The reason why Wii was so successful was Wii Sports + Wii Fit + an incredible marketing campaign. Anything else was icing on the cake in terms of success.

One issue I am not sure how they will resolve, without maybe special drivers or emulation, is the controller support on Android games. Unless the games are updated just for Android. If you use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with a phone and Android games, the games are always "aware" of the keyboard for WASD movement. (minecraft) I'm sure they figured that out before the whole funding thing they kickstarted but it is something I have been wondering.
What you're missing is the fact that the Ouya will NOT run all Android games. It won't support Google Play, it will have its own store, and games will have to be built specifically for Ouya to run on it without rooting it. And as such, any game released on Ouya will work with its controller.

Note that they aren't trying to keep people from rooting it - it will in fact come with instructions for how to do so, and unroot it afterwards since the Ouya store and games won't run on a rooted Ouya - but they also aren't going to make any effort to allow Android games to work on it without alteration.

No. It is targeted towards a specialized segment of the market that runs counter to what made Wii successful. I don't foresee Ouya TV ads happening.

It's targeted towards both mainstream gamers and hackers. Whether it will hit those targets is another question entirely, and part of the point of this thread, but the company definitely is trying to get mainstream gamers as their main customers.

Micerider

I'd be honestly surprised if it happens.

I think the console might get a small spot in the sun if it manages to pull some decent exclusives and media services but nowhere near what Wii has achieved this gen.

HyperionX

It probably won't be as successful as the Wii was. We're forgetting just how big of a hit it was. Nevertheless, I expect the Ouya to do well. None of the competing consoles have bothered to make a low-cost option, leaving a very large hole in their lineup. FFS, PS3 is getting more expensive, not less now. Ouya has quite a lot of room to breath.

It will also launch in a rare moment in time where all of the traditional console makers are waning pretty badly. It isn't exactly facing a juggernaut of competition in the form of Sony or MS. In fact those companies are close to fighting for their lives, or at the very least extremely distracted by much more pressing issues. Whether Ouya succeeds or not, I don't expect the existing companies to attempt to fight it in its own space.

Top Bottom