• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Ouya take Wii's place next generation?

Shouldn't the real question be "can the Ouya outsell the Galaxy S3 or Nexus 7"? The answer would still be no, but it's the more appropriate question.

It will sell exactly as many units as people who paid for it on kickstarter

Except its obvious this is not the business strategy, which means unless Ouya has some cashflow from further sales - most of those units will never be produced.

Whilst also the cost of staff doesn't seem to be taken 100% into account, to sell it at the price they promise to - they need a lot of sales to offset staff costs.

Woah is the system really that small? I thought it was like the size of a small wastebasket. Sitting next to a controller really gives it scale.

I'm sure these are just 3d mock-ups, but is there any validity to the designs and scale present?

They released these images specifically to show scale - the size of the system is described as about the size of a Rubix Cube.

ouya_console-580x4131.jpeg

image-145100-full.jpg

- Android space is based around people messing with it, customizing it and whatnot. It's not really targeted as a neatly-made easy to use experience for the everyday user to use, and even if this is, many tried before and none succeeded at making that kind of experience out of it

Haha, what? Someone should tell Samsung about this.

I have never seen someone defend a product as vociferously as Dreamwriter did in the Ouya thread. I knew when I saw the thread title that this would be a Dreamwriter thread. :)

Heh - my "defending" was mostly trying to fight ignorance. Like people saying you needed hundreds of millions of dollars to have a system manufactured, or suggesting that the Ouya folks had no experience getting things made so couldn't make one for $99, or suggesting that it would fail without an imaginary new graphics chip that somehow would be free to use. I unfortunately have that "someone's wrong on the Internet!" drive, where I have a hard time letting ignorance be, especially in a place where it can (and has) spread.

Having said that, I *am* excited by the Ouya, mainly because I love indie games which should be plentiful on the Ouya, and the Ouya is kinda like an indie system itself, a unique little system made by a small team on a relatively small budget.

jman2050

Having said that, I *am* excited by the Ouya, mainly because I love indie games which should be plentiful on the Ouya, and the Ouya is kinda like an indie system itself, a unique little system made by a small team on a relatively small budget.

That's an apt comparison. The Ouya has all the pretention and lack of understanding of its own medium that your average "indie" game has.

Mr.Green

I keep expecting to learn Ouya is an elaborate April's fools hoax.

Anyway, unless it can also be marketed as exercising made fun, it will never take Wii's place. It's a traditional console, only underpowered. Anyone remotely interested probably already pledged for the kickstarter.

Yeah, I guess I'm not a believer.

Only way they can be successful is if they marketed it against media players/streamers like Roku,etc...

This is why I'm buying it.

Funimation video support through android (the others don't have it)
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Vidio
and the best media player available!

This is a must for me. The touch screen controls has potential to making navigating these menues with a mouse like interface easier!

Games are only the icing on the cake for me!

M3d10n

Sorry, there's no way. Ouya is very niche. It's somewhere between the GP32 and the Pandora in nicheness. It's like a classy Zeeboo. The very notion that it could sell as much as the Wii ever did is hilarious and a sign of the naivete of some posters. Ever heard of marketing?

Magypsy

I ordered one. Mostly because I'm a game developer and I know I am going to like developing for it. If it takes off, I might make some money off of it!

Also, some companies are going to release products for the machine, such as Namco Bandai, Square Enix (Final Fantasy III is supposed to be a launch title), and OnLive is on board too. Most of these things are probably going to be straight up Android ports, but hey, it's something.

But I am far from sure if it is going to take off, and if it doesn't, I'll have a nice emulator and streaming box. Fine with me!

edit: Oh, and next generation Wii? Nah.

rpmurphy

The appeal seems rather limited compared to the Wii, both hardware and software. It would be nice to see the Android platforms be supported with games that have more traditional set features though, if the system is designed more like a console rather than a smartphone/tablet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well do some prefer to play games on their phone when they could play games on a 50 inch TV and 300 dollar plus console? Yes. Why is this? Simple straight forward games that you can jump in and out of and they are cheap so they can have more games.

I really think to some people phone games are like when people played NES games when that system was out, but most all games are less than 10 dollars! They don't care so much about the graphics, but want to have some fun and at a price they can play a lot of different games. Why rent a game when you can download and buy one from your home for the same or cheaper price? Why get gamefly when for 15 dollars, the rental of 2 games a month, you can buy one blockbuster game each month?

I disagree that people play games on their phones because they are simple and straightforward. They play them on their phones because their phones are always available anywhere, the games can be played and thrown away at any time, anywhere, and the games are dirt cheap.

I really don't think anyone plays phone games because they like the quality gameplay experiences. They play them because they are convenient.

goldensnake

Neo Member
Not going to happen. Nintendo (and Sony/MS) spend hundreds of millions to develop and market their consoles, a few million from a kickstarter and a few promises cannot equate. How is this even being asked?
I'm glad people are excited enough to put their money into something they personally believe could work, but seriously don't expect much back or anytime soon. If it was THAT easy to get in the console business then everyone would be trying to. Microsoft had to spend out of their minds to get where they are now, that's just how it works.

Top Bottom