• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Ouya take Wii's place next generation?

eXistor

No way no how. Open platform and the bucketloads of shit that will no doubt clutter the thing will never appeal to the masses.

Zips

It got $8 1/2 million, only needed $950,000 to become a real product. The one-time expenditure to produce a complex piece of electronics at a factory in China or Taiwan is $100,000 to $150,000 (with 60,000 pre-preorders that they already have the full money from, that one-time $150,000 cost is only $2.50 per $99 unit, though some people paid a lot more than $99). After that it's all parts, which they can easily do for well under $99 since they are using all off-the-shelf parts.

As for an ad campaign, their Kickstarter was a great start at marketing, because of all the records it broke and how many people forked over money for it (it's gonna start with a base of 60,000 owners 1 to 2 months before it even hits retail). And that was without spending a dime on marketing (well, they had to make that video...) And as for convincing stores to carry it, both Gamestop and Game have said they would carry it.

And don't forget that the founder worked at IGN so has a lot of contacts through them for marketing, and one of their consulant investors is Ed Fries, who was in charge of the XBox project at Microsoft. And the system and controller designer also has done design work for Herman Miller, PUMA, One Laptop per Child, Jawbone, MINI, See Better to Learn Better, General Electric, Swarovski, Samsung, Jimmyjane, and Prada. Their lead Engineer worked at Amazon, specifically working on the Kindle. So sure, nobody's heard of Boxer8 (the company behind Ouya), but their team is far from unknown.

A Kickstarter campaign is FAR from constituting the advertising blitz that will/would be needed to put a product like this on the map for people.

How many countries will it advertise in? Will it use TV? Radio? Posters? Billboards? Online? Are they going to use an advertising company or try and make the commercials themselves? Will the ads be in places of high viewership? What is it exactly that will draw people who don't pay attention to gaming boards and have probably never even heard of Kickstarter? When GameStop says they will -likely- stock it, how much do they mean? A whole wall of Ouyas? 1 or 2 units per store? Online only? Lots of things can get -into- a few store chains - it doesn't mean people will actually buy it en masse.

How does 60,000 owners (who have already paid by contributing to the start-up funds) compare to the millions and tens of millions of owners for things that already target the different audiences that this thing -maybe kinda vaguely- is aimed in the direction of, and how does the product attract developers?

Do you really think people care that one of the people involved worked on the Kindle? For that matter, how many employees do they have and how much are they getting paid? Is the whole project going to be on the back of one engineer? What's the upkeep on whatever facilities/headquarters etc. that they have? That production figure you quoted produces how many units? How much will it cost to create enough for the incredible instant demand we're supposing in this thread? What are the distribution costs? Do they have repair services? Warranties? Call Service Centres for people experiencing problems? What about licensing? Lawyers to deal with the inevitable legal issues that pop up?

There are a ton of different expenses involved with doing something like this, and those things will add up quickly. 8.5 million is enough to get it out the door in some form maybe, but those funds will drain very quickly if the project doesn't find a sufficient audience to sustain it in time.

jman2050

A Kickstarter campaign is FAR from constituting the advertising blitz that will/would be needed to put a product like this on the map for people.

How many countries will it advertise in? Will it use TV? Radio? Posters? Billboards? Online? Are they going to use an advertising company or try and make the commercials themselves? Will the ads be in places of high viewership? What is it exactly that will draw people who don't pay attention to gaming boards and have probably never even heard of Kickstarter? When GameStop says they will -likely- stock it, how much do they mean? A whole wall of Ouyas? 1 or 2 units per store? Online only? Lots of things can get -into- a few store chains - it doesn't mean people will actually buy it en masse.

How does 60,000 owners (who have already paid by contributing to the start-up funds) compare to the millions and tens of millions of owners for things that already target the different audiences that this thing -maybe kinda vaguely- is aimed in the direction of, and how does the product attract developers?

Do you really think people care that one of the people involved worked on the Kindle? For that matter, how many employees do they have and how much are they getting paid? Is the whole project going to be on the back of one engineer? What's the upkeep on whatever facilities/headquarters etc. that they have? That production figure you quoted produces how many units? How much will it cost to create enough for the incredible instant demand we're supposing in this thread? What are the distribution costs? Do they have repair services? Warranties? Call Service Centres for people experiencing problems? What about licensing? Lawyers to deal with the inevitable legal issues that pop up?

There are a ton of different expenses involved with doing something like this, and those things will add up quickly. 8.5 million is enough to get it out the door in some form maybe, but those funds will drain very quickly if the project doesn't find a sufficient audience to sustain it in time.

Yeah, this more or less sums it up.

And this is all assuming they even have a workable business plan in the first place. You have a bunch of ignorant fools who are trying to "cheat" the system, except they're making a product that nobody asked for or needs.

fallagin

People laugh but its going to happen, ouya will be the king.

Also no ouya way that's gonna happen lol.

Gotta cover all my bases just in case. Will vita win?

forrest

formerly nacire
Ouya.jpg

Woah is the system really that small? I thought it was like the size of a small wastebasket. Sitting next to a controller really gives it scale.

I'm sure these are just 3d mock-ups, but is there any validity to the designs and scale present?

Log4Girlz

A hyper-dimensional being made contact with me today and informed me they have traveled the entire infinite multi-verse where every single possible eventuality has played out countless times...and not in a single one did the Ouya even come within spitting distance of the Wii.

Celine

It probably won't be as successful as the Wii was. We're forgetting just how big of a hit it was. Nevertheless, I expect the Ouya to do well. None of the competing consoles have bothered to make a low-cost option, leaving a very large hole in their lineup. FFS, PS3 is getting more expensive, not less now. Ouya has quite a lot of room to breath.
Define well.
How much Ouya do you think there will be out there?

DocSeuss

The Wii's success was based extremely heavily on its purported fitness benefits. I've noticed that a lot of core gamers don't seem to realize this, but... well, I've seen it a lot. All these people saw it as a way to help their fat children get some exercise, and exercise is good, right? So they had to have it.

I remember taking it to a family member's house once, and mentioned I wanted to play video games. She was kinda down on the idea, until she realized I was holding a Wii, at which point she said it was okay. Kinda confusing, but whatevs, I was gonna play some Epic Mickey or whatever. I sat down and...

"What are you doing?"

"Playin video games."

"But... that's a Wii. You're supposed to be exercising."

I saw a lot of similarly-minded people when I worked in retail, and I know tons of people who had never bought a console before who owned a Wii (and contributed to the abysmal attach rate after abandoning it like any AS SEEN ON TV gift). It was sold on shows like Today as a video game without the health detriments that people perceive video games to have.

It worked because some newspeople turned it into the must-have exergaming device.

The Ouya doesn't have that.

Woah is the system really that small? I thought it was like the size of a small wastebasket. Sitting next to a controller really gives it scale.

I'm sure these are just 3d mock-ups, but is there any validity to the designs and scale present?

It's using smartphone/tablet phone internals. The size is reasonable.

Dr.Hadji

I saw a lot of similarly-minded people when I worked in retail, and I know tons of people who had never bought a console before who owned a Wii (and contributed to the abysmal attach rate after abandoning it like any AS SEEN ON TV gift). It was sold on shows like Today as a video game without the health detriments that people perceive video games to have.

The wii actually has a pretty good attach rate.

Are people really this naive about Ouya?

Anyway -- Wii was a success because it had great software and the public were interested in the motion controlled features.

Ouya won't even meet their pre-order commitments (but their not technically pre orders because people are idiots and don't know how the world works) as if they wanted to, the money from the kick starter would have seen production begin already. Instead they'll try to use peoples money to make it a big success, they'll run out when they don't get any more orders outside the kickstarter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still have no idea what's supposed to be appealing about the Ouya. Cell phone games are only fun because they're cheap and convienient because you already have a device that can play them, they're not a draw. A console for mobile games just strikes me as a terrible idea.

The primary driving force behind Wii's success was its controller so no. I mean, it could theoretically, just as any other console could, but it's unlikely.

DrNeroCF

You joke but I almost anticipate people begging for cute small games that make inventive use of the WiiU touch pad in lieu of third parties not making substantial use of it. iOS shovelware would be perfect.

The games that I consider to be the best use of the hardware on iOS (like Tilt to Live, Amazing Breaker, Plants Vs Zombies, Flight Control, Tiny Wings, Arcade Bowling...), I would absolutely love to see Wii U counterparts. I wouldn't consider them being anything close to shovelware, though.

If Nintendo could loosen up and get games like, say, Draw Something, Angry Birds... even Gameloft's 'knockoff' games that were made for a capacitive touch screen but would be way better with a stylus on the eShop, AND be indie friendly going forward, it would be win all around.

Risible

Every one of Dreamwriter's posts regarding Ouya should come with a disclaimer: "I have invested in the Dev kit and plan on producing Ouya games. I am desperate for the Ouya to be a success."

I have never seen someone defend a product as vociferously as Dreamwriter did in the Ouya thread. I knew when I saw the thread title that this would be a Dreamwriter thread. :)

let's wait until they atleast have a single unit manufactured and has games beyond android basics running on it to start the speculation?

I just don't see any way that the Ouya can be successful. There's barely a market for it, for one thing. I think it needs strong exclusives in order to have any chance of not failing hard. I'm only aware of one exclusive so far.

remnant

Banned
I just don't see any way that the Ouya can be successful. There's barely a market for it, for one thing. I think it needs strong exclusives in order to have any chance of not failing hard. I'm only aware of one exclusive so far.
Is that the prequel to a game that doesn't exist?

I don't believe the Ouya will be any more popular than any other Android powered device. It will sell 10 million then fall into obscurity as it's replaced by newer hardware a year later.

HyperionX

Define well.
How much Ouya do you think there will be out there?

There is no reason it can't reach the same level of success as a Roku or Apple TV device. Which should be something like a few million units per year. I'm hesitant to say lifetime numbers, since they could easily iterate this quickly like Apple does with its cell phones. It or a future successor shouldn't have a problem getting to those sales levels and maintain it for a while.

Unless the company runs out of money and folds for some reason, the biggest threat I see them facing would be a company like Apple releasing a similar product. Ironically I see the current console makers equally vulnerable if not more so.

Kacho

I'd say it's possible for Ouya to be the first wildcard console that gets a decent install base. Though, it's highly unlikely that it would succeed anywhere close to the level of the Wii.

Well it has a chance because in principle and looking at the fact we don't know nothing about 720/PS4, it seems as the most disruptive of all.

So yes it could happen, however is extremely unlikely. If they had a bigger company behind them, like Samsung, they would have a better chance to disrupt the market.

Tom_Cody

The foundation of Nintendo's success is their internal software development. This has always been the case.

Ouya is going to have the share the same pool of content with a lot of other platforms. It's really just a different animal.

FaceDa

Banned
The Ouya has no funding. The Kickstarter amount they've raised is pre-orders - it's basically sold units. You can't count a sold unit as financing.

Also it's never coming out anyway

Celine

There is no reason it can't reach the same level of success as a Roku or Apple TV device. Which should be something like a few million units per year. I'm hesitant to say lifetime numbers, since they could easily iterate this quickly like Apple does with its cell phones. It or a future successor shouldn't have a problem getting to those sales levels and maintain it for a while.

Unless the company runs out of money and folds for some reason, the biggest threat I see them facing would be a company like Apple releasing a similar product. Ironically I see the current console makers equally vulnerable if not more so.
A good enough definition but I don't actually believe it will achieve it.

Majanew

Banned
Those that think Ouya is going to be a success - or even has a chance to be a success - must be the ones that pledged. It will fail hard, if it even releases, that is. It would have a tough time even if it was on store shelves in Wal-Mart with a giant sign telling you what it is, and with a playable kiosk. But it's not going to have that. How much money is going into marketing this thing so it isn't an absolute disaster? Wii numbers...lol, crazy bunch.

There is no reason it can't reach the same level of success as a Roku or Apple TV device. Which should be something like a few million units per year.

Except that Roku is a market leader that produced the first Netflix Internet video streaming receiver box while Apple is Apple. They also don't give technology comparable to a 11 year old X Box.

Top Bottom