• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(09-24-2012, 01:18 PM)
I've raved about this game a small handful of times on here whenever topics about horror games come up, but as it's almost October I decided I might as well try playing it again. I checked and searched as much as I could on this forum, but I don't think there was ever a topic made about the game here on NeoGAF. For better or worse, searching it up just lead to me finding my own posts (and the posts of one other ex-member) raving about it. This is understandable, as the game was released in 2000 for PC, and was only released in Korea... But it is a damn shame.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School remains the scariest game I have ever played.

Before Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra, there was White Day. I mention those games as I feel Frictional borrowed a lot from the game White Day. They are incredibly similar in quite a few ways, though I feel White Day still remains far scarier than either of those franchises and pulled off the, 'I'm a defenseless hero hiding in the dark' mechanic far better 10 years before Amnesia came out. The game was incredibly ahead of it's time, using a lot of real-world logic for various actions and puzzles in the game and stirring up an atmosphere that I feel has been unmatched by any other game to this day.

White Day stars a young Korean student who has a crush on a local beauty. A chance encounter leads into her forgetting to pick up her diary. Being a noble gentleman with a crush, he sneaks into the school at night to plant the diary and chocolates into her desk. Totally logical. The holiday White Day is upon them, which is similar to Valentine's Day, but in Korea (and some other areas in Asia) White Day is the day where boys gives girls chocolate, while Valentine's Day is the day girls give guys chocolate. But as he sneaks in, he gets involved with a insane janitor who seems to have snatched some students into school and viciously beat them to death. Worse yet, something is wrong with this school. It seems the school years ago used to be a war hospital that doubled as a secret torture ground for prisoners which was then later converted into a school... And the spirits are getting restless. As the game goes on, the school slowly begins turning into some abstract and terrifying labyrinth that just continues to grow and grow into utter madness.

The game was so terrifying that many people emailed the developers saying they couldn't complete the game because of how absolutely frightening it was. They released some patches for the game that changed the scare levels dependent on what difficulty you choose.. There are more healing items and far less scares on very easy mode, but less save points and items on Hard difficulty mode, but more story and scares. Though not all scares will be experienced in a single playthrough regardless, as the game features quite a few randomized scares that may or may not happen in a playthrough. And these aren't just 'booo did I scare you' jump scares, these have to be some of the most well-done psychological scares I've ever experienced.

The game essentially has four enemy forces against you. The first is the Janitor, who wanders the school randomly. He is not scripted in most cases, and is just as fast as you. You can hear him coming by these jingling keys, and when he spots or hears you he'll give chase. You have to out-maneuver him and hide... But the darkness is not much better. Strange paranormal occurrences are happening in the school. In the dark is where things start to get really messed up, and anything from something crawling through the vents or a human anatomy doll coming to life can happen at any time while in the dark (not helped your sources of light are EXTREMELY limited. Your main source of light is a box of matches, which dim out quickly and constantly and only shine light about a foot or two in front of you.). The school itself is like an enemy, full of progressively twists and turns, environment hazards, and is progressively getting stranger and more dangerous. Finally, if you play the game on Hard Mode, there's additional notes containing ghost stories, as well as the ghosts of these stories being in the school, also randomized somewhat (from a girl who crawls on ceilings to something that comes out of the schools backyard pond). From all of this, you are completely defenseless and can only hide and run.

The game had a complete mastery of atmosphere, scares paying off, and though outdated graphically boasted some extremely ahead of their time ideas. The team unfortunately was disbanded shortly after the game was released, there was an English version planned at one point but it was cancelled as they went under.

And because of this, and the small number of sales, the game has become incredibly hard to find for sale and is relatively unknown still, though in several circles of horror enthusiast it is known as one of the, if not the, scariest games of all time, and in my opinion it's the scariest to exist (and I've played a lot of horror games).

However, the game has become abandonware and now there are no holders to its rights or any copyrights on it, making sense as it didn't sell well, only was sold in Korea, and is 12 years old. Some people have put together an english translation patch for the game earlier this year, which you can get here.

This is seriously one of the scariest games you'll ever play, and it's almost time for the season of Halloween. I welcome everyone to test their wits against this game, and see if you can disagree that it isn't the scariest game of all time. Try the hard mode, and see how it goes for you. It only gets scarier the further along you get, and if you want a real challenge try 'Real' mode (even more scares, die once and you get a game over, have to escape the school before midnight or else you lose). I'm going to keep my own game diary of my events in the game. I think this could be fun and bring some attention to a hidden gem that really deserves it.

If you have problems running it, check the FAQ first: http://home.1070444.n5.nabble.com/FAQ-td113.html
And if nothing works, you can try asking for help here.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 09-25-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Mister0079
(09-24-2012, 01:24 PM)
Yep I'm going to have to try this out soon. Also I noticed the box art mentions "Inclusive Multiplayer Version", what's that about?
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Mister0079

Yep I'm going to have to try this out soon. Also I noticed the box art mentions "Inclusive Multiplayer Version", what's that about?

There's an online mode in the game I believe you unlock after beating the campaign where one player plays as the defenseless person, while other human players play as the janitor and various other figures in the game. It's essentially the single player game, but with the monsters being controlled by humans. The other players can choose from a slew of ghosts, demons, and the janitor and can trigger scares and try to hunt the human after they spawn from a random location.

This also reminds me there was originally a Source mod for this being worked on, but it was sadly cancelled.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/whiteday-s...eled/downloads
Jockel
(09-24-2012, 01:30 PM)
Am I the only one to think of Corpse Party? Now would be a good time to mention that everyone remotely interested in horror games needs to play this. But the OP looks promising. Can it be had for cheap?
Schlomo
(09-24-2012, 01:33 PM)
Thank you, this looks very interesting. I might check it out in the future.
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 01:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Jockel

Am I the only one to think of Corpse Party? Now would be a good time to mention that everyone remotely interested in horror games needs to play this. But the OP looks promising. Can it be had for cheap?

Corpse Party is good, though I can tell you right now both are incredibly different. Corpse Party is more of a visual novel with RPG elements, but really good at what it does. This is a first-person horror adventure game, where you are completely defenseless.

I have a copy I got a while back, but I have had no luck when searching for this game online in any form. As mentioned, the studio went under and the game has become abandonware, and it sold very few copies. However, because it is abandonware, the game is now free and even the developers have kept up the website unofficially to link people to download the full game. People have also worked on an english patch, so these days you can download the game for free, though I have no idea what a physical copy would go for.

You can download it here (the serial was provided by the developers via email to those who were signed up to their news letter before they went under in case anyone wanted to install it in the future or give it to friends):

http://unnamedgs0.blogspot.co.uk/p/whiteday.html
Hanmik
(09-24-2012, 01:35 PM)
just watched some youtube videoes (beacuse i had never heard of this game)..

ehh.. maybe it´s just the videoes.. but this does not seem very "Horror´esque".. to me.. ?

I´m not a horror game fan.. takes too much to scare me today. But people keep saying that "Slender" is a really scary game.. hmm.. I don´t know..
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 01:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Hanmik

just watched some youtube videoes (beacuse i had never heard of this game)..

ehh.. maybe it´s just the videoes.. but this does not seem very "Horror´esque".. to me.. ?

I´m not a horror game fan.. takes too much to scare me today. But people keep saying that "Slender" is a really scary game.. hmm.. I don´t know..

Pay attention to two things when watching videos of the game. First of all, what difficulty they're playing on. The better translation patch was only released recently (this June), and in most videos of the game a lot of non-Korean speakers picked Very Easy Mode without realizing it. To show what that menu means:

Most people who made videos before this was released clicked the first option not knowing what it was asking, and little knowing they just turned off the potential for 95% of the scares in the game. Very Easy Mode was made for cowards to get through the game okay.

But regardless, you are going to have to play it for yourself. Slender doesn't look scary in video form really either, as an example. You need to play these type of games to really get into it.
EVOL 100%
(09-24-2012, 01:52 PM)
The sound design in this game is amazing.

Who knew a fucking janitor could be so terrifying.
Man
(09-24-2012, 01:56 PM)
Thanks so much for creating this thread. I think I will want to play through this in the near future. Subscribed.
Dascu
(09-24-2012, 02:09 PM)
I played through past the first "act" today. It can be really frightening at times, though the dated visuals diminish the horror a bit.

Pretty good though and I'll definitely keep playing.

Also, Dusk Golem: When I pick a dialogue response, the text sometimes flashes red or blue. Is that good or bad?
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Dascu

I played through past the first "act" today. It can be really frightening at times, though the dated visuals diminish the horror a bit.

Pretty good though and I'll definitely keep playing.

Also, Dusk Golem: When I pick a dialogue response, the text sometimes flashes red or blue. Is that good or bad?

The outdated visuals is one thing which of course can be agreeable, though I can say you've only just started the fun. And not so much good and bad as much as they change your outcome. The story, some of the areas, and some other things change based on your dialogue responses, and if you're playing on Normal difficulty or higher, the game has multiple endings.
Dascu
(09-24-2012, 02:13 PM)
I'm playing on Easy. :-)

How long is it by the way? I might consider a replay on a higher difficulty.

What does the difficulty affect? Just the endings and the amount of damage you can take?

Edit: Hmm, they actually add in more scares and stuff? That's cool.
Last edited by Dascu; 09-24-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Man
(09-24-2012, 02:15 PM)
I'm a bit confused from the op though. Do you play the girl or the boy?
IrishNinja
(09-24-2012, 02:15 PM)
wow, i was all about Amnesia last year, so this sounds right up my alley - thanks for the awesome OP! totally looking into this now.

also, i forgot about Corpse Party, adding that to the list for when i get a vita.
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 02:19 PM)

I'm playing on Easy. :-)

How long is it by the way? I might consider a replay on a higher difficulty.

What does the difficulty affect? Just the endings and the amount of damage you can take?

It actually changes a lot. XD Essentially, for the scares in the game there are two perimeters. A lot of the scares will only happen on higher difficulties, the lower the difficulty is, the less scary it's supposed to be. On harder difficulties, there's a higher chance of randomized scares happening, not to mention some scares only occur on harder difficulties.

On Hard difficulty in particular, there's new story cinematics and a series of 'ghost stories' around the school. These ghost stories hint at added monsters that are only on Hard difficulty. I was just playing and I found a note talking about a girl in math class, and while I was reading the note I started hearing this noise. It just kept getting louder and louder but I wanted to finish reading the note. As I was reading, I was attacked by something and suddenly the whole place went dark. I ran out of there and some distance until I could no longer hear the noise and then got back to reading. The note talked about a girl who looked up at the ceiling and screamed as she fainted due to heart failure. I could only figure I was just attacked by whatever was in that note but I never got a chance to see it, but as I've never played on Hard I'm being REALLY cautious of ceilings right now, and for that noise again. I also found another ghost story about a girl and a pond and some rumor, but afraid to see where this is going...

Originally Posted by Man

I'm a bit confused from the op though. Do you play the girl or the boy?

You play as the boy, but there are three girls in the school at the same time. It seems your crush in the school, as well as her best friend, and another girl with glasses.
Man
(09-24-2012, 02:24 PM)
Hard sounds like the way to play.
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Man

Hard sounds like the way to play.

Hard might be best for those looking for the scariest difficulty. There is a Real Mode with supposedly even more in it, but I don't want to play it until I'm certain I can handle it. Real is the hardest difficulty, but you only have one life (die once and it is game over, no checkpoints), as well as you are timed to escape the school at midnight (you get there at 10 so I'm guessing you have two hours to complete the game).

For game length, it's about the length of older horror games. If you know what you're doing, you can beat it under two hours apparently, but don't know what you're doing and depending on your pace, you could go a lot longer. I would guestimate the first time might take anyone somewhere between 8-16 hours, but that's just a guess.
Jackpot
(09-24-2012, 02:29 PM)
This game intrigues me.

Though I still expect it to be less scary than Cry of Fear.
Shirokun
(09-24-2012, 02:30 PM)
This sounds really awesome, but I can't seem to get it to start. I just get some Korean error message when I try to start the game from the menu.
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Shirokun

This sounds really awesome, but I can't seem to get it to start. I just get some Korean error message when I try to start the game from the menu.

You might have to fight with the settings a bit. I had played this originally on my Vista but I decided to reinstall it on my new computer, which was a Window 7. I was getting the same error, I meddled around with the options a bit and didn't seem to help, but then randomly when attempting it just worked.

Same thing happened later, I meddled with it a few times and it worked. This is likely an issue with the fact this game was made for older computers, but it seems it eventually works anyway, though not sure what causes it not to work but then work sometimes. I'll mess around with it a bit more, but I have the same issue on this Windows 7 but it does eventually work.
Dascu
(09-24-2012, 02:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Shirokun

Checked the FAQ?

http://home.1070444.n5.nabble.com/FAQ-td113.html
Shirokun
(09-24-2012, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

You might have to fight with the settings a bit. I had played this originally on my Vista but I decided to reinstall it on my new computer, which was a Window 7. I was getting the same error, I meddled around with the options a bit and didn't seem to help, but then randomly when attempting it just worked.

Same thing happened later, I meddled with it a few times and it worked. This is likely an issue with the fact this game was made for older computers, but it seems it eventually works anyway, though not sure what causes it not to work but then work sometimes.

I'll try reinstalling. Right now I can't even access the device settings without the error. : /
Seraphis Cain
bad gameplay lol
(09-24-2012, 02:37 PM)
Yep, can't get it started myself. Furthest I got was the first screen, with the labyrinth, then it just stopped loading. And it took like 10 tries to get that far.
Metal Gear?!
(09-24-2012, 02:46 PM)
This appears to be an LP of the Korean version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYiT3iqE6E
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Seraphis Cain

Yep, can't get it started myself. Furthest I got was the first screen, with the labyrinth, then it just stopped loading. And it took like 10 tries to get that far.

Do you mean the opening cinematic, like what plays as soon as you start the game? If so, the FAQ has this piece of advice:

Q: WhiteDay crashes at the opening cut-scene?
A: Try pressing 'Esc' on your keyboard as soon as that cut-scene starts and it should skip it. If it still crashes, you will need to load a save to skip it. Take a look at this post.

Originally Posted by Metal Gear?!

Awww, he's playing on one of the easier difficulties. I can tell since I'm right now playing on Hard and there are more items and less notes for him than there are for me. >_>
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 09-24-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Dascu
(09-24-2012, 03:14 PM)
I like how the presence of the janitor is nicely telegraphed with the sound of his jingling keys and the light of his torch.
Dusk Golem
(09-24-2012, 04:38 PM)

I like how the presence of the janitor is nicely telegraphed with the sound of his jingling keys and the light of his torch.

One thing the game is good at is not doing jump scares, a lot of what is about to happen is very nicely telegraphed, BUT some of it you need to be paying attention to.

There's a scare that can happen in this one classroom where the lights will start flickering, which might make you look at the light, but if you pay attention to one of the vents in a corner of the room or notice it while this is happening you'll see a bunch of long black hair slowly dribble out of the vent. The enemies never just pop up and go baloogah woogah, they will always have some audio or visual cue to hint that they're coming if you pay attention, some more noticeable than others though.

I have on a few occasions given myself a jump scare when not paying close attention in a dakr hallway and accidentally kicking a bucket, which I swear they made the sound effect super loud just for someone in that same situation. Made me jump real bad.
KojiKnight
(09-24-2012, 04:42 PM)
This vaguely reminds me of corpse party... I might give it a try as I absolutely LOVED corpse party and I generally don't like "scary games"... Why is it so hard for a BIG budget game to go a truly scary route versus RE's full on action game take.
Eidan
(09-24-2012, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by KojiKnight

This vaguely reminds me of corpse party... I might give it a try as I absolutely LOVED corpse party and I generally don't like "scary games"... Why is it so hard for a BIG budget game to go a truly scary route versus RE's full on action game take.

Because a lot of people don't like to be scared.
ImpassionateGods
(09-24-2012, 05:12 PM)
Hmmm I was planning to play through Amnesia for the first time on Halloween night, but this sounds intriguing. What's the general consensus on which one is the scarier game(hard mode vs Amnesia)?
shinkansen.3000
(09-24-2012, 06:49 PM)
I'll definitely keep an eye on this, thanks for the heads up!
Lime
(09-24-2012, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Metal Gear?!

youtube description:

I was told that if i hear the sound of paper ripping i should run...You will see why.
If you can't see them because you can't find em or the quality is bad then here are the link's to what come out of the walls.

1. http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/IMaoI/ghost.jpg
2. http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/IMaoI/ghost2.jpg

I did not notice this until i was re-watching them.

holy shit:

BLCKATK
(09-24-2012, 08:11 PM)
Thanks for making this thread. Never would have known about this without it! This game sounds awesome, definitely going to add to my list of horror games to play through in the coming weeks.
Dascu
(09-24-2012, 09:56 PM)
Jesus goddamn fucking Christ - Giant monster baby!
Dennis
(09-24-2012, 09:58 PM)
nope.jpg
Neiteio
(09-24-2012, 10:57 PM)
Whoa, this sounds interesting. How come I've never heard of this in some of the more exhaustive horror game conversations we've had here? I love the genre and this looks like my kind of game.
XANDER CAGE
WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE
(09-24-2012, 10:59 PM)
I watched a stream of this once and all it was was a guy running around an empty school with the worst footstep effects I'd ever heard and a janitor NPC chasing him that laughed every now and then (I assume this is just the first section of the game). Does the game get scarier than that? Because I thought the whole "it's so scary!" comments at the time were sarcastic.
jediyoshi
(09-24-2012, 11:02 PM)

Originally Posted by BigJiantRobut

I watched a stream of this once and all it was was a guy running around an empty school with the worst footstep effects I'd ever heard and a janitor NPC chasing him that laughed every now and then (I assume this is just the first section of the game).

Pretty sure every horror thing sounds about that flat after its reduced down.
XANDER CAGE
WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE
(09-24-2012, 11:15 PM)

Originally Posted by jediyoshi

Pretty sure every horror thing sounds about that flat after its reduced down.

It's not reductive. I watched a long stream of it, and nothing happened that scared me. I was asking if, if that didn't really scare me, if the game pulls any better tricks. I love me some horror games.
Night_Trekker
(09-24-2012, 11:35 PM)
I doubt it's the scariest game ever, but it sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.
Accoun
(09-24-2012, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by BigJiantRobut

It's not reductive. I watched a long stream of it, and nothing happened that scared me. I was asking if, if that didn't really scare me, if the game pulls any better tricks. I love me some horror games.

Perhaps it was on one of the easier difficulties?

Pay attention to two things when watching videos of the game. First of all, what difficulty they're playing on. The better translation patch was only released recently (this June), and in most videos of the game a lot of non-Korean speakers picked Very Easy Mode without realizing it. To show what that menu means:

Most people who made videos before this was released clicked the first option not knowing what it was asking, and little knowing they just turned off the potential for 95% of the scares in the game. Very Easy Mode was made for cowards to get through the game okay.

But regardless, you are going to have to play it for yourself. Slender doesn't look scary in video form really either, as an example. You need to play these type of games to really get into it.

YoungBlade
(09-24-2012, 11:52 PM)
Man I really freaking hate scary stuff, absolutely hate anything to do with it. Props to the people that can play these games, you are amazing.
dragonlife
(09-24-2012, 11:56 PM)
I will give this a shot for sure. Thanks for the thread and link.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-24-2012, 11:57 PM)
Oh myy you have just made my Halloween Month incredibly enticing. Thank you for posting about this, will seek this out high and low. Fuck yea horror!
KojiKnight
(09-24-2012, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Eidan

Because a lot of people don't like to be scared.

Billion dollar a year horror movie industry would like a word with you.
Drago
(09-25-2012, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by YoungBlade

Man I really freaking hate scary stuff, absolutely hate anything to do with it. Props to the people that can play these games, you are amazing.

Indeed, haha. I hate being scared. I'm a wuss :(

The game sounds incredibly intriguing though. I'll never play it though, for my own sake :<
thecouncil
(09-25-2012, 12:00 AM)
how come when i started this game up, "hard" wasn't an option.

hard and real both werent available. the text didnt even exist. just normal and the two easier levels.

edit: nvm. it was a problem with the patch, i think. one way or the other, i fixed it though.
Last edited by thecouncil; 09-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.
StickSoldier
(09-25-2012, 12:04 AM)
So like if Fear scared me, should I stay away from this?
cj_iwakura
(09-25-2012, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by KojiKnight

Billion dollar a year horror movie industry would like a word with you.

How many of those are truly horror(Corpse Party), and not just jump scares(Resident Evil)?
That said, yeah, this looks great. Never even heard of it. I'm a passive horror fan, but I'd give this a shot if I could find it.