• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Journalism

Gomu Gomu

kLHUo.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXSI6O9lUo

Shameless.

JeffGrubb

I've heard that PR people have actual lists of journalists who will "play ball." I don't know if that's real, but if it is, he's on it.

i-Lo

Are his opinions or statements somehow influenced by his sponsors? If not, then I really don't see why it's shameless.

Are his opinions or statements somehow influenced by his sponsors? If not, then I really don't see why it's shameless.

Right, it isn't like he is altering his reviews or opinions so he can gain favor with certain companies to get a job there. That is shameless.

iNvid02

keighley doesn't look all that impressed with that shit behind him

also lol at buying garbage food to get ahead in a game

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sad thing is video game journalists are bastions of intelligence and honor compared to political reporters and commentators.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldnt really call it journalism. Like someone once said, you wouldnt exactly call people running a cat magazine "cat journalists". They flatter themselves when they refer to themselves as journalists. Its game enthusiast press, and unfortunately, they need sponsors.

sakipon

Why are soda and nachos related to this anyway? Should be beef jerky or something more macho. A steak restaurant sponsor!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have to admit, I did laugh a little when Geoff gave his tips for aspiring games journalists, not even two minutes after mentioning that he was there to talk about the Mountain Dew promotion.

"Check out our recent interview with one of the biggest journalists in the industry, Geoff Keighley. Our brief talk covers everything from New York Comic-Con, the big holiday release season, Halo 4 and the Mtn Dew/Doritos Double XP program."

I see zero problems here.

Dennis

Banned
I would have resigned my job and kept my dignity rather that sit in a pile of junk food and tell children to eat this junk food.

Are his opinions or statements somehow influenced by his sponsors?
In the last question he addresses how to be successful in games journalism by being the best at one specific thing, with examples such as being "the guy to go to to learn tips about how to rank up in Halo 4."

For instance.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nah, Geoff is a great journalist. You can't use this as something to criticize games journalism as a whole.

Dyno

He should relish the role! A crown of Mountain Dews going around that sizeable melon would be a step in the right direction.

I hate it when people shorten Assassin's Creed to "Assassin's" because it always sounds like they're saying the plural version of the word rather than the possessive.

#fwp

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Hate it when people generalize all journalists, they aren't all bad. And this is also called marketing by the way OP. It's obviously pretty good marketing too if it garnered a post on neogaf...

joe2187

Banned
In the last question he addresses how to be successful in games journalism by being the best at one specific thing, with examples such as being "the guy to go to to learn tips about how to rank up in Halo 4."

For instance.

I didnt watch the video, But I watched it because I couldn't believe this was in the video...but it was.

Top Bottom