• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Journalism

JABEE

But Brad Pitt is doing comercials for the WiiU.

v6YLQ.jpg

I hope this is a joke. I really hope this is a joke.

My biggest problem with this is that it looks like normal red Mountain Dew in the background...

Seriously, I want that Gamer Fuel stuff back. Mock me if you will, but that stuff was awesome.

Yeah, but I feel bad for that guy; I think he's one product placement away from dining on filet of .38 slug.

My biggest problem with this is that it looks like normal red Mountain Dew in the background...

Seriously, I want that Gamer Fuel stuff back. Mock me if you will, but that stuff was awesome.

The logo on those bottles are the same Mountain Dew logo they used for the COD Game Fuel.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think this is not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be.

He is not a games reviewer. At least not in the classical sense that he writes reviews.

He is a writer (most notable his Final Series) and someone that is previewing games via GT.TV.

I'm for example am perfectly fine with having preview and review staff be judged by different standards, as long as they don't overlap.
Someone that is being treated to a vacation in Italy on Ubisoft's dime for example shouldn't be the one reviewing said game or any Ubisoft game for a certain amount of time but he can write a preview because it's all hypothetical bullshit anyway.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Ya know, I don't care how much flak Keighley is getting for this corporate BS. His "Final Hours of Half-Life 3" is going to be fantastic, and I can't wait to read it.

It's absolutely pathetic that other journalists are interviewing Geoff because he's considered the best in the industry. So he's regarded so highly because of his time within the industry? If I go out to a port a potty and take a fresh dump on top of a big pile of shits that have been there for awhile, what does it matter? At the end of the day it's all a bunch of turds anyway. I try to avoid Geoff at all costs, but just from this (4 minute) video, it shows he still reals of unprofessionalism. Wardrobe is pathetic. Count the amount of times he says "um" in the first segment. Watch his nervousness cause his leg to uncontrollably bounce. Shamelessly acts as if Dew and Doritos add some type of benefit to us as gamers besides artificially boosting gamers who don't have skill.

He notes that aspiring journalists should carve out a niche to become distinguished and notes he did that by interviewing the creators of games. Uhhhhh, what the fuck? So you found out more about games by the people who created such games? Who would have ever thought of doing that? Cue the Penny Arcade strip of the "How awesome is your game? So awesome." No one has backbone and asks real questions, because that would stop the invites to parties with free Dew and Doritos and with hot woman that will never have sex with any of them, including Geoff.

Someone needs to punch him in his smug face and post a review of the experience. That would be ground breaking video game journalism.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If the first Wii-U commercial features Brad Pitt, more girls will get into gaming.

Whatever Nintendo is considered nowadays.

JABEE

I don't think I really have a problem with what Geoff is doing. He is more of a presenter than an actual journalist at this point. He does do contract work with companies as more of a documenteur than a journalist. I can't hate on Geoff for this.

Can a mod change the topic title and make this an OT? I feel we need one megathread for the crap game journalists say. And for being fair and balanced, it might be wise to start up a general "Journalism" OT after Fox News melts down when Obama gets re-elected.

FStop7

Banned
It's absolutely pathetic that other journalists are interviewing Geoff because he's considered the best in the industry. So he's regarded so highly because of his time within the industry? If I go out to a port a potty and take a fresh dump on top of a big pile of shits that have been there for awhile, what does it matter? At the end of the day it's all a bunch of turds anyway. I try to avoid Geoff at all costs, but just from this (4 minute) video, it shows he still reals of unprofessionalism. Wardrobe is pathetic. Count the amount of times he says "um" in the first segment. Watch his nervousness cause his leg to uncontrollably bounce. Shamelessly acts as if Dew and Doritos add some type of benefit to us as gamers besides artificially boosting gamers who don't have skill.

He notes that aspiring journalists should carve out a niche to become distinguished and notes he did that by interviewing the creators of games. Uhhhhh, what the fuck? So you found out more about games by the people who created such games? Who would have ever thought of doing that? Cue the Penny Arcade strip of the "How awesome is your game? So awesome." No one has backbone and asks real questions, because that would stop the invites to parties with free Dew and Doritos and with hot woman that will never have sex with any of them, including Geoff.

Someone needs to punch him in his smug face and post a review of the experience. That would be ground breaking video game journalism.

settle down, beavis.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I kept the part that I thought was semi-relevant. But Geoff is actually one of the few that asks good questions.
See for example this thread on him interviewing Reggie or when he interviewed Jack Tretton at E3 2012.

Due to him having a TV show centered around games he has a certain clout that allows him to have more confrontational interviews and allowing him to ask questions other than "so how awesome is it?".

It's the one thing you can't say negatively about him when judged by the standard in the games industry.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hey, OP, did you know there are ads in newspapers, too? And they're right there below the supposedly unbiased journalism!

Not only that, but news broadcasts cut away to ads for minutes at a time, multiple times each hour! What do they think they're trying to pull?

There's truly no proper journalism left! Oh, woe are we!

Oersted

I gues you don´t even know how right you are. Videogame journalism is 90% PR made by fanboys and/or guys who want to work at the companies. The last 10% are working at actually newspapers and are running the tech-section. But because their employers are not really interested in the videogames-industry, they don´t really investigated either.

MormaPope

Banned
It's actually funny Doritos is so aggressive with appealing to gamers because the greasy and powdery residue left from Doritos is being smeared on tons of controllers and consoles. Actually made me sick thinking about it.

Woooow Video Game Journalist of the Year!!!

please tell me this is real

I see that Pulitzer Prize coming to a video game "journalist" anytime now

The writer clearly needs some Doritos and Mountain Dew to help her focus better.

Haha, wow.

Brad Pitt is not pretending to be a games journalist is he?

I hope this is a joke. I really hope this is a joke.

I just wanted to give credit to the amazing Junior Member kitsuneyo who actually screencapped this gem--> Original Post

"That's all they gotta do? Just buy the Doritos and the Mountain Dew and go to the website and they can get a competitive edge before the game launches next month?"

Really smooth, Frito-Lay.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Keighley is probably the worst "journalist" of them all. Well.. Sterling might be worse .

He is never thrilled about anything. He is like a drone whenever I see him talk.

If you ever see him in person he doesn't pay attention to anything around him, he is just texting 99% of the time stopping only to talk to the camera then goes right back to texting.

Keighley is probably the worst "journalist" of them all. Well.. Sterling might be worse .

You know, Keighley dips his toe in the murky PR waters more than anyone, but it's on the surface. You know when he's in promotion mode and when he's being genuine. The Keighley that hypes up GTTV and especially the VGAs- as he'll start doing soon, so watch out!- is a man that I will gladly ignore, but the rest of the time he's clearly a person who fucking loves video games, as we all do, so I can't rag on him at all.

Plus he gives Reggie what for, so there's that.

Refugio

You know, Keighley dips his toe in the murky PR waters more than anyone, but it's on the surface. You know when he's in promotion mode and when he's being genuine. The Keighley that hypes up GTTV and especially the VGAs- as he'll start doing soon, so watch out!- is a man that I will gladly ignore, but the rest of the time he's clearly a person who fucking loves video games, as we all do, so I can't rag on him at all.

Plus he gives Reggie what for, so there's that.

Yeah I like Keighley.

Oersted

I kept the part that I thought was semi-relevant. But Geoff is actually one of the few that asks good questions.
See for example this thread on him interviewing Reggie or when he interviewed Jack Tretton at E3 2012.

Due to him having a TV show centered around games he has a certain clout that allows him to have more confrontational interviews and allowing him to ask questions other than "so how awesome is it?".

It's the one thing you can't say negatively about him when judged by the standard in the games industry.

I still think it is very mindblowing that this one interview is considered to be a example of good videogame-journalism.

And well, this TV show you are thinking about.... He is a open Sony and Ubisoft fanboy and act accordingly in every interview. So there is that.

Famassu

Because appearances = how good someone is at his job (not taking any stance on how good Geoff is as I don't really know anything he's done, I just find your post stupid).

Did he hit your dog or fuck your mother and dump her the next morning? No one can be that bitter towards a person they don't even know and who hasn't affected his or her life in any way. I find your attitude way more pathetic than Geoff, no matter how good or bad he is at his job.

Sushigod7

I'm not sure what the big deal is Mt Dew & Doritos have long been associated with gaming. Because they think we are all fat and need lots of caffine for our late night gaming habits. It's true right? No sterotype is created without some truth and market research.
iAGfSSW1owoO1.jpg

Time to wheel out that Reggie interview and have doe-eyed peanuts applaud "hard-edged interviewing skills".

Nah, Keighley's okay, but he tends a tepid pool when it comes to journalism. Sorry, "journalism".

Top Bottom