• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Journalism

Riposte

I think we all pretty much knew that the only reason game journalism exists is to act as a tool of PR, but this certainly confirms it.

If you already thought this was true, what is so special about this video? It doesn't really allow us to look into the nature of "videogame journalism" to any significant degree.

One consistent failure both "game journos" and GAF makes is the inability to separate "game journalism" and game criticism. Frankly, what we have now is a lesser evil compared to what people want to push as good game journalism.

Dennis

Banned
If you already thought this was true, what is so special about this video? It doesn't really allow us to look into the nature of "videogame journalism" to any significant degree.

One consistent failure both "game journos" and GAF makes is the inability to separate "game journalism" and game criticism. Frankly, what we have now is a lesser evil compared to what people want to push as good game journalism.

I don't what you are trying to say.

The word 'journalism' implies a lot of things but not being a paid shill for junk food.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I dunno, this Absurd Confluence of Various Market Forces in Late Capitalism game looks pretty badass to me.

Dennis

Banned
Yeah.... there are a lot worse problems with video game journalism than some obvious advertising.

Not to me.

I see a guy degrade himself by sitting on a pile of junk food he is paid to shill I am not going to care one bit about anything else he has to say about games.

How can he perform any kind of journalistic function when he is paid my these people?

Riposte

I don't what you are trying to say.

The word 'journalism' implies a lot of things but not being a paid shill for junk food.

If you want to break down what videogame journalism is then you should look at its mechanics as a system, not make a big show over a gaffe where a dude poses with some "mtn dew" (in order words reactive sensationalism). The dependent nature of the writer to the company, the priority on garnering an audience (competing with other outlets), and how both these can interfere with videogame criticism are more important details to cover (writing previews can interfere with writing reviews). Though, if GAF wants to make a big story about so and so getting money from Microsoft to do a documentary or whatever, well they are free to chase the entertainment of that.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Not to me.

I see a guy degrade himself by sitting on a pile of junk food he is paid to shill I am not going to care one bit about anything else he has to say about games.

Yet you continue to pretend you care.

Not to me.

How can he perform any kind of journalistic function when he is paid my these people?

All Journalists people get paid from advertisements, get over it.

kLHUo.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXSI6O9lUo

Shameless.

Will he give Halo 4 a 10/10 or a 10/10?

Not to me.

Yeah, because newspapers and broadcasters, etc. don't rely on advertising to fund their production :p

It's blatant and looks absolutely ridiculous in this example, but it's just highlighting what we already know - ads fund stuff.

Dennis

Banned
Yeah, because newspapers and broadcasters, etc. don't rely on advertising to fund their production :p

It's blatant and looks absolutely ridiculous in this example, but it's just highlighting what we already know - ads fund stuff.

A journalist for The New York Times is not going to feature in an ad printed in the newspaper.

They are entirely separate. For reasons I would have thought should be obvious.

Oersted

If you want to break down what videogame journalism is then you should look at its mechanics as a system, not make a big show over a gaffe where a dude poses with some "mtn dew" (in order words reactive sensationalism). The dependent nature of the writer to the company, the priority on garnering an audience (competing with other outlets), and how both these can interfere with videogame criticism are more important details to cover (writing previews can interfere with writing reviews). Though, if GAF wants to make a big story about so and so getting money from Microsoft to do a documentary or whatever, well they are free to chase the entertainment of that.

You put words in other peoples mouth. Congrats.

Yet you continue to pretend you care.

Buzzword reply or did you actually read his post

All Journalists people get paid from advertisements, get over it.

Advertisements are part of the payment, yes. Obviously. But you won´t see a CNN-reporter with a huge "vote for Democrats" sign behind him or sitting on a pile of junk food. There are certain standards within journalism.

What is Doritos chips doing there?

funny that gamers think to ask this question only when confronted by what looks like a postmodern dutch still life of the most sadsack games writer on earth, and not when they see the fucking things at the grocery store surrounded by actual food

fuck you

imagine you're a pax east attendee who suffers from a rare neurological condition in which the sounds of footfalls from the herd of cows around you is cognitively transformed into the sound and smell of frito bags being ripped open

pax east promises the world's first dew'n'doritos slurry wrestling. do foul battle with likeminded turds in a kids pool filled with code red, doritos and axe body spray

Because appearances = how good someone is at his job (not taking any stance on how good Geoff is as I don't really know anything he's done, I just find your post stupid).

People complain that video game journalism lacks professionalism, when you walk around like a slob it brings down your credibility as being a professional, thus I find your post stupid.

Let me tell you something, little miss. Advertising pays our bills, alright? Advertising pays your salary. Advertising is what made this country great. What is the Constitution of the United States? A document? No, it is an advertisement, an advertisement for liberty. "When in the course of human events," oh, I'm telling you that's right up there with "put a tiger in your tank" and "where's the beef." Don't you understand? I'm sorry, I've got to get some air.

Flavius

Or to push an agenda so that you can get a job at the company you are stroking... like Shane Bettenhausen.

Cheap shot, OJG...and doesn't apply unless his master plan involved going to work for some other company for a couple of years before making that transition.

kablamoman

Neo Member
hmmm... Masterchief, Doritos and Mountain dew..... seems very stereotypical. Most of the people who I've seen combine those things aren't great gamers. I would think doritos would make you a worse at video games if not for the crumb filled controller, then certainly the indigestion. As for mountain dew..... guess they've established themselves as the "gamer's drink." I don't see the appeal of Mountain Dew, but hey, they've got a certain image that gives them an appeal to a certain audience so whatever. Pepsi Co. Probably knows nothing about gaming but as with any industry that grows, big corporations always want a piece of the action so they get into every little bit of video games they can, I mean just look at all the advertisements that actually exists within games themselves.

Cheap shot, OJG...and doesn't apply unless his master plan involved going to work for some other company for a couple of years before making that transition.

Not cheap, just facts. Shane up'd the review scores of exclusive games in EGM (in all reviews he did, he always scored the highest out of the three if it was a PS3 exclusive) then basically is a one man ad campaign for the system and games to the point where he is mocked because of it then ends up working for the company? Sony even gave him a personal launch PS3 that they didn't hand out to the other EGM staff and he was hand picked by the publisher... not EGM editors to be flown to Japan to stay in a retreat to write about MGS4.

That is so shady on so many levels. He showed if you work hard enough and campaign and PR for a company you like in the gaming press that you can be rewarded with a job there for your good deeds.

jluedtke

Geoff Keighley is simply a corporate mouthpiece. Pay him, and he will come. About once a year he decides to pretend to be a "hard-hitting journalist" by asking awkwardly aggressive questions to some corporate shill (usually Reggie) as if to say to the audience, "Eh? Eh? See how legit I am? Now gimme my Game Fuel (TM)!"

Or to put it more simply...

Exhibit A: SpikeTV Awards.

The prosecution rests.

TUROK

Geoff Keighley is simply a corporate mouthpiece. Pay him, and he will come. About once a year he decides to pretend to be a "hard-hitting journalist" by asking awkwardly aggressive questions to some corporate shill (usually Reggie) as if to say to the audience, "Eh? Eh? See how legit I am? Now gimme my Game Fuel (TM)!"

Or to put it more simply...

Exhibit A: SpikeTV Awards.

The prosecution rests.
Or maybe he does it when he knows he won't be reprimanded over it.

There's no street cred to be had as an unemployed, hard-hitting journalist. Or money, for that matter.

But Brad Pitt is doing comercials for the WiiU.

v6YLQ.jpg

It´s gonna be the best add ever.

Scene:

- Brad Pit, appears cosplaying Pitt ( from Kid Ikarus ).
- First you can only see the wings and a familiar voice saying: " My name is Pit "
- Then he turns over and says: " Brad Pitt "

-WiiU: Now your playing with Brad -

* Angelina Jolie not included.

BEST ADD EVER.

Top Bottom