• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Journalism

Slightly off topic but since it's not worthy of a thread - I'd actually love to get inside the industry writing, although I'm aware it's not as glamorous as many may think.

But besides a brief week-long placement in London, a few hastily written articles (then posted to an aggregator with varying amounts of vaguely defined success in terms of attention) and a website that I lost all motivation for I'm kind of stuck on where to go next - who to email, who to pester or even carving a niche in a world where the major sites live off PR statements and reviews.

Have to say that it annoys me when I see so called professionals make such horrendous errors such as basic fact checking (hello basics 101) or further emphasise the sad reality of extreme corporate control over an enthusiast press at current. There is room for a press which is built on good practise and integrity though, and I'd love to see that burgeon. Games journalism, or writing as many would prefer it be called, will obviously never be equivalent to a hard news magazine but I'd love to see more integrity and some fucking standards across the board.

There are some very good sites and writers out there though (on many of the bigger sites even), I rate Eurogamer very highly despite the odd faux pas here and there - it's a shame that a lot of the very good stuff is hidden away because of this perceived reliance on solid PR relations, as opposed to also providing a real service to readers through informing while entertaining.

I can't stop laughing at that fucking picture though haha.

TheBear

v6YLQ.jpg

I've seen this quoted a dozen times but I still don't get it.

I've seen this quoted a dozen times but I still don't get it.

Someone uploaded the UK Wii U commercial to Youtube. The very beginning of the upload shows the ending to a commercial that featured Brat Pitt. That lead to the person that wrote that article to think that he was actually part of the Wii U commercial.

conman

But besides a brief week-long placement in London, a few hastily written articles (then posted to an aggregator with varying amounts of vaguely defined success in terms of attention) and a website that I lost all motivation for I'm kind of stuck on where to go next - who to email, who to pester or even carving a niche in a world where the major sites live off PR statements and reviews.
If you know how to write, it's not hard to find an outlet. And, yes, people who can't write also find writing jobs, but knowing how to write makes it a hell of a lot easier to get in. But the real question for you to ask yourself is how much you're willing to get paid. It isn't uncommon to start out getting paid $0-50 per review/article (and since you'd likely start as a freelancer, that's before taxes and benefits).

IMO you're better off getting a more enjoyable, better paying job and just buying games on your own and writing about them here or in a blog. Games writing pays little and has very few possibilities for long-term career advancement. It's great as a short-term gig when you're young. But the folks who can make it work for them long term tend to be EICs of major outlets, or they move into other parts of the industry (development, publishing, or PR).

Yet further explanations for why games journalism is often so puerile. Talented writers tend to go elsewhere where there's more support, respect, and integrity.

Kraut

The GFW guys were bang-on (and almost alone) in their sober view of themselves as professional enthusiasts. That's all that this is and ever has been.

It's ironic that one of the few writers to produce anything approaching journalism (Keighly and his Final Hours pieces) has plummeted to such despicable depths.

FartOfWar

Banned
The GFW guys were bang-on (and almost alone) in their sober view of themselves as professional enthusiasts. That's all that this is and ever has been.

It's ironic that one of the few writers to produce anything approaching journalism (Keighly and his Final Hours pieces) has plummeted to such despicable depths.

The rapping's ass but I still like the lyrics.

Margalis

Banned
Tweeting something positive about a game for a chance to win a prize is basically turning your Twitter feed into undisclosed paid advertising.

TheBear

Someone uploaded the UK Wii U commercial to Youtube. The very beginning of the upload shows the ending to a commercial that featured Brat Pitt. That lead to the person that wrote that article to think that he was actually part of the Wii U commercial.

Thanks for clearing this up! Is the YT link still available?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

This may be the most blatant, crystal-clear, textbook example of someone having no idea what journalism is.

Bad7667

There is a book called " The Honest Truth About Dishonesty", and it does a very good job describing how easy it is for someone to not notice that they are being used, or that PR is shaping their opinion in some way. Especially if the person feels like they were given a favour because often times, the impulse to return that favour can be incredibly difficult to avoid.

To the people that think the gifts or trips don't influence writers at all need to read this book. And if you write about games the book might help you notice when PR is trying to influence you.

dreamfall

It's a strange piece. I get the message, and really it is completely unprofessional to be a "journalist" and sit with promotional items to advertise for a game.

But this- "A games expert. He is one of the most prominent games journalists in the world. And there he sits, right there, beside a table of snacks. He will be sitting there forever, in our minds."

Really?

This is the same "journalist" who seems to be bringing all the Spike TV "exclusives" (Ha!) that promote new video and behind the scenes coverage on some upcoming titles. I'm not sure that the show is doing well, but I'd say between him and Game Informer they seem to have the news angle pretty much on some sort of monetary lockdown. It always seems that the other Gaming news outlets will then break a story- something like "as seen on Gametrailers TV." It's a circuitous and strange entrapment of how game news is reported. The weird relationships between PR and the game writers really cast a shadow on whatever credibility most of the individuals have.

And who can forget this from earlier this year? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809 All of these "legitimate" gaming sites fooled by a 4Chan post?

This shit has to change.

NekoFever

Also that's not how you spell commercial.

conman

To the people that think the gifts or trips don't influence writers at all need to read this book. And if you write about games the book might help you notice when PR is trying to influence you.
It's not for no reason that publishers spend tens of thousands of dollars (or more) to host launch and preview events for journalists. At least when film companies do this, there are countless film and photography crews there who then pass on the lavishness to readers/viewers at home. In the film industry, these events double as advertising.

But in the games industry, the extravagance of some of these events simply turns into a review/preview/interview that never acknowledges or shows the enormous expense (free food, drinks, shows, etc) involved in putting together many of these events. It exists simply to woo writers. They may think themselves immune, but then why do companies continue to spend so much money on these things? Clearly it works.

Fistwell

What did they edit out? In the comments section I read something about a threat of legal action.
The following was cut,

"Let me show you an example.

One games journalist, Lauren Wainwright, tweeted: "Urm… Trion were giving away PS3s to journalists at the GMAs. Not sure why that's a bad thing?"

Now, a few tweets earlier, she also tweeted this: "Lara header, two TR pix in the gallery and a very subtle TR background. #obsessed @tombraider pic.twitter.com/VOWDSavZ"

And instantly I am suspicious. I am suspicious of this journalist's apparent love for Tomb Raider. I am asking myself whether she's in the pocket of the Tomb Raider PR team. I'm sure she isn't, but the doubt is there. After all, she sees nothing wrong with journalists promoting a game to win a PS3, right?

Another journalist, one of the winners of the PS3 competition, tweeted this at disgusted RPS writer John Walker: "It was a hashtag, not an advert. Get off the pedestal." Now, this was Dave Cook, a guy I've met before. A good guy, as far as I could tell. But I don't believe for one second that Dave doesn't understand that in this time of social media madness a hashtag is just as powerful as an advert. Either he's on the defensive or he doesn't get what being a journalist is actually about."

See here for details. Florence was told EG received legal threats. The other party has since then denied issuing any such threats.

Gomu Gomu

Cross posting from the other thread:

This fucking industry man... What a sad day this has been for everyone involved. Robert Florence for not having a job anymore. Eurogamer for not having the confidence in their writer and not having his back. Wainwright for being called out on her public shamelessness and instead of owning up to it and maybe take a look at your work ethics, she threats to sue. For all the self proclaimed game 'journalists' who either defended her or the idea that there's actually no problem with having poor work ethics. For all the people who think this is to be expected and not do or say anything about it. For all the big game blogs, sites and notable game writers that didn't report or touch the story for whatever reason. And finally, for people attacking Wainwright for being female and not dealing intelligently with the situation.

A sad day indeed for this industry.

conman

Nice to see Penny Arcade re publishing the pulled part of the article.

What a fucking shitstorm.
I hope it sticks. The recent shitstorm over the cross-posting of reviews for both versions of Skyrim seems to have made a difference in how sites report reviews. Hopefully this leads to some serious ethical introspection for the big sites. Transparency, transparency, transparency.

Top Bottom