• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Journalism

kitsuneyo

I just wanted to give credit to the amazing Junior Member kitsuneyo who actually screencapped this gem

Aww shucks :)
I used to read CVG and I just knew they would change the story and headline, so it had to be done. Plus it was my shoddy video capture of the advert that led them to make the mistake!

Oersted

via @chrisremo via @SMBlob

"Are Video Games Art?" (2012, digital photograph)

A51l4AdCUAUTSP5.jpg:large

Merciless and masterful.

Oersted

Or maybe he does it when he knows he won't be reprimanded over it.

There's no street cred to be had as an unemployed, hard-hitting journalist. Or money, for that matter.

You know, there are certain lines between unemployment, PR and jurnalism.

jluedtke

Or maybe he does it when he knows he won't be reprimanded over it.

There's no street cred to be had as an unemployed, hard-hitting journalist. Or money, for that matter.

Oh, I agree with you completely. But I just wanted to make a distinction. I think the premise of this thread is faulty because nobody in their right mind - probably not even the man himself - believes Geoff Keighley is a "journalist".

It's just a valuable public service to let us know that we can snack and get a head start on Halo 4 at the same time. All you cynics are just looking down on this fine public spirited gentleman for no reason.

Goldmund

Geoff Keighley said:
Part of what I'm talking about today is the double XP program that Mountain Dew and Doritos are bringing back which actually allow gamers to rank up inside of War Games in Halo 4 by purchasing Mountain Dew or Doritos. So, that's a great example of a brand saying: "Hey, we actually want to give benefit and value to gamers." So if you buy, uh, you know, uh, if you buy, uh, Mountain Dew, you buy Doritos, you get a code, you go to dewxp dot com or doritosxp dot com, enter that code, link it to your gamer tag and then you're gonna get some experience in the game. So, it's-it's, uh, it's a good partnership.

Amen.

Dennis

Banned
Geoff Keighley said:
Part of what I'm talking about today is the double XP program that Mountain Dew and Doritos are bringing back which actually allow gamers to rank up inside of War Games in Halo 4 by purchasing Mountain Dew or Doritos. So, that's a great example of a brand saying: "Hey, we actually want to give benefit and value to gamers." So if you buy, uh, you know, uh, if you buy, uh, Mountain Dew, you buy Doritos, you get a code, you go to dewxp dot com or doritosxp dot com, enter that code, link it to your gamer tag and then you're gonna get some experience in the game. So, it's-it's, uh, it's a good partnership.

You know, when it is spelled out like that it becomes crystal clear just how shameful it is.

Is GAF really OK with this? Maybe I am just old-fashioned but this is nauseating to me.

Goldmund

You know, when it is spelled out like that it becomes crystal clear just how shameful it is.

Is GAF really OK with this? Maybe I am just old-fashioned but this is nauseating to me.
The little shopping channel spiel that ensues is even worse. "Oh, is it that easy, Geoff?" -- "It's just that easy!" -- "Wow!"

Legally, he needs to be indicating that it is a paid presentation like other infomercials.

"The following is a paid promotional presentation by PepsiCo and Microsoft..."

kLHUo.png

At least my man Billy Mays was able to shill with a bit of elegance and class.

infomercials.jpg

The little shopping channel spiel that ensues is even worse. "Oh, is it that easy, Geoff?" -- "It's just that easy!" -- "Wow!"

The journalism pep talk at the end with all the corporate paraphernalia meticulously arrayed around him is particularly delicious i thought.

How much does a human soul cost? ask mr keighley.

megalowho

Do you understand what the job of being a journalist normally entails?
Does it ruin the credibility of TV sports analysts when they drop in promotions and ads whenever there's dead air? Does it make them untrustworthy and unable to tell the difference between something that makes their employers money and what they believe in?

I prefer to judge people based what they actually contribute to their fields, not the shittier things they are asked to do for their sponsors (and not even video game sponsorship, at that). The entertainment industry is silly, and Geoff plays by the rules. That's all I take away from this.

Dennis

Banned
Does it ruin the credibility of TV sports analysts when they drop in promotions and ads whenever there's dead air? Does it make them untrustworthy and unable to tell the difference between something that makes their employers money and what they believe in?
Yes.

And this is much worse because he is advertising a thing (Halo 4) which he is supposed to have a journalistic approach to.

I guess this doesn't bother me one bit because I never considered Keighly to be this hard hitting hardcore journalist. He's the TRL-era Carson Daly of videogames. His claim to fame is being involved with GameTrailers and the VGA awards, both of which are littered with ads and publisher co-promotions. This is pretty much par for the course and I don't see how it taints anything else he has done or will do in the future.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<looks at OP...shrugs>

I never look at Geoff as a "journalist." That ship has long sailed. He is more of an infomercial or something. He pitches softball questions to publishers and developers so they can look good. GameStop TV has him everywhere shilling a bunch of games coming out that month or upcoming in the next month. His job is simply to make games look good.

As long as we understand all that, he is all good.

He is the walking Penny Arcade joke.

"How awesome is your game?"
"So awesome!"

GQman2121

Banned
I guess this doesn't bother me one bit because I never considered Keighly to be this hard hitting hardcore journalist. He's the TRL-era Carson Daly of videogames. His claim to fame is being involved with GameTrailers and the VGA awards, both of which are littered with ads and publisher co-promotions. This is pretty much par for the course and I don't see how it taints anything else he has done or will do in the future.

100% agree. The Carson comparison is spot on, as Geoff is very good at what he's tasked to do. He certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to interviews at e3. This past confrontations with Reggie post press conference are now annual events in and of themselves. Also, when discussing games with others on the Bonus Round, he'll propose relevant questions to the panel that guys like Greg Miller just don't do on their comparable online shows. I'm sure if Halo 4 ends up being shit, Geoff will be right their listing off its faults.

However, this Dew shit is embarrassing for all involved. The interviewer is clearly in on the promotion here as well because the line of questions is so obviously staged. But I don't see why Geoff should take the brunt of the eye rolls. We all know that if we were offered the same payday we would take the money and run.

Lime

Good and fair post. Should have been the first reply.

Massa

The Apple conference going on right now reminds me that the tech gadget blogs make the video game enthusiast blogs look like the pinnacle of journalism.

Goldmund

The Apple conference going on right now reminds me that the tech gadget blogs make the video game enthusiast blogs look like the pinnacle of journalism.
The whole "you're not real journalists" accusation has had a pretty positive influence on select people in the gaming press. It didn't always result in self-important navel-gazing.

100% agree. The Carson comparison is spot on, as Geoff is very good at what he's tasked to do. He certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to interviews at e3. This past confrontations with Reggie post press conference are now annual events in and of themselves. Also, when discussing games with others on the Bonus Round, he'll propose relevant questions to the panel that guys like Greg Miller just don't do on their comparable online shows. I'm sure if Halo 4 ends up being shit, Geoff will be right their listing off its faults.

However, this Dew shit is embarrassing for all involved. The interviewer is clearly in on the promotion here as well because the line of questions is so obviously staged. But I don't see why Geoff should take the brunt of the eye rolls. We all know that if we were offered the same payday we would take the money and run.
This is basically my view on the matter.

I'm very much ok with criticizing 'gaming journalism' for various things, but I'm also ok with how certain types of promotion or cross-promotion works, particularly when it is generally separate from 'critical' functions of the enthusiast press. Cross promotion that involves non endemic advertising is probably the best that can be hoped for. Obviously, the high-fructose corn syrup and flavored sawdust is being promoted along with Halo 4; however, I don't think it really crosses the line of sponsorship 'contaminating' editorial.

Valnen

It's like people only do these things because they can get paid. And that's just really sad.

I hope that's sarcasm. You have to pay your bills somehow. There's nothing wrong with them wanting to make money doing their job.
Not to me.

I see a guy degrade himself by sitting on a pile of junk food he is paid to shill I am not going to care one bit about anything else he has to say about games.

How can he perform any kind of journalistic function when he is paid my these people?

Degrade himself? You have to be trolling. Nobody without some sort of weird issues with advertising would think this is somehow degrading. Seriously, wow. You're probably one of those people that thinks one can of soda will give you diabetes or something too.

His Behind the Games articles were absolutely the work of a hard-hitting journalist. The Trilobyte, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and Daikatana articles were fantastic pieces of journalism. Sadly it seems his career has gone in a different direction since then. (I still haven't read the Portal 2 one, though.)

Degrade himself? You have to be trolling. Nobody without some sort of weird issues with advertising would think this is somehow degrading. Seriously, wow. You're probably one of those people that thinks one can of soda will give you diabetes or something too.
Shilling for a product in the industry they profess to cover is absolutely degrading and damaging to the credibility of any respectable journalist.

The only thing I see wrong with the video is the fact that all the marketing crap is being included in an interview he is doing for ANOTHER "outlet". It would be different if it was his own video the GT or whoever put together.

But whatever, Geoff IS a games journalist and is very knowledgeable about the industry in general. I got no problems with the guy and consider myself a fan.

Modedude

I don't think this is exclusive to game journalism, there are many outlets in other enthusiast press that basically function as PR regurgitators, contrarians and others who exist just to generate hits.

... And you just proved his point.

The system as it currently exists doesn't allow, expect, or even want the same level of journalism. It's enthusiast press, not war reporting.

I mean I'm all for quality, and not the dreck we usually get, but the average spike TV viewer certainly isn't. And I would think anyone who was serious about their videogame press would be able to understand how the system works and be glad that someone in the position of Keighly is able to do stuff like the 'Final Hours' pieces while shackled under the way the system is currently set up.

Basically, he's not the guy to attack here. He's still produced quality stuff, despite his position as TV pitchman on a cable network. Blame the system and the consumers who don't care about quality writing, and instead just want to yell at people for giving Uncharted 3 an 8.whatever.

He is free to make money. I don't have a problem with that. He will never be a "journalist" or a professional of integrity in that field in my eyes.

The system as it currently exists doesn't allow, expect, or even want the same level of journalism. It's enthusiast press, not war reporting.

I mean I'm all for quality, and not the dreck we usually get, but the average spike TV viewer certainly isn't. And I would think anyone who was serious about their videogame press would be able to understand how the system works and be glad that someone in the position of Keighly is able to do stuff like the 'Final Hours' pieces while shackled under the way the system is currently set up.

Basically, he's not the guy to attack here. He's still produced quality stuff, despite his position as TV pitchman on a cable network. Blame the system and the consumers who don't care about quality writing, and instead just want to yell at people for giving Uncharted 3 an 8.whatever.

Well precisely. He works for Spike. That alone discredits any serious journalistic integrity. If he at all cared about that integrity he would have found a job at a more respectable company. I don't blame him for his decision though. He gets to talk about video games, attend conferences and behind the scenes events in the entertainment industry and is paid for it. As long as he doesn't seriously consider himself a journalist I don't see a problem. Now if on the other hand he started calling himself the Dan Rather of Videogame Journalism then he would be a complete joke.

Although not the same thing at all, after Microsoft's e3 conference this year featured ads for Usher and Prometheus, nothing about this industry is surprising to me.

Top Bottom