• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida can't promises The Last Guardian for 2013

sublimit

Banned
Many people speak (hoping?) of a PS4 release but i will laugh my ass off if this finally comes out in 2013
and before Versus is released lol

I get the idea that Yoshida has no idea what to do with this game. Is like he has the music in mind, the world and the protagonist. But what to do about gameplay, and to convey the vision he has in mind about "emotions" is not translating well to him as a game designer...Curious how many reboots this game has gotten.
They just need to make it like Ico, but instead of an annoying girl you're friends with a beast.

This and FF Versus XIII are the biggest jokes in gaming.
They have a while before they're in DNF territory. I suppose you could argue TLG and Versus are the biggest 'ongoing' jokes, but DNF sadly still exists, and is still a much bigger joke that will never go away.

Johnas

I'd love to see a high-quality game at the end of this fiasco, but with each passing year it just looks grimmer and grimmer.

I really can't believe it has taken this long, and they're still working on the engine. Just unbelievable.

I do hope it manages to make it out on the PS3, I am currently leaning toward PC-only for next gen. At the very least, pull a Twilight Princess, even if it came out on PS4 first.

Johnas

I just watched the E3 2009 trailer again for the first time in a couple of years.

Still ridiculously beautiful, and I still can't help but get amped watching it. It was pretty weird seeing "PS3" in that old spider-man font at the end.

It looks like they had so much done at that point in time, then again the trailer could have been edited in such a way as to make it appear that way, even if it wasn't true. Also, I wonder if after the Ico/SotC Collection, they're possibly trying to do all they can to make this title run at a constant 30 fps, since that was such a prominent criticism of SotC.

StuBurns

Banned
I feel your pain... I did the same for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Both games were shown WAY too early. They still have some of the best concepts around though (I think).
Well to be fair, I didn't buy it for 'The Last Guardian', I bought it for whatever Team Ico did next. It was announced a while ago, but it's only been three years, that's not so bad realistically.

Reversed

:/

I won't vote with my wallet whenever SCE introduces a game anymore, only until the game is about to go gold. I feel deceived.

Why would they present their games so early, though? To fool fanboys? To attract investors? Holy hell it's been a long wait.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Let him take as much time as he wants, I just want a polished product.

DJIzana

Well to be fair, I didn't buy it for 'The Last Guardian', I bought it for whatever Team Ico did next. It was announced a while ago, but it's only been three years, that's not so bad realistically.

Yeah, I know. I mean... didn't really HATE Final Fantasy XIII but I was disappointed about how it didn't actually feel like your average Final Fantasy game. Moreover I was disappointed with the combat system in that game more than anything. I did get some entertainment from XIII & XIII-2 though. I also get enjoyment from Sega so buying my PS3 wasn't a complete waste.

You definitely are lucky to have only waited 3 years from Team Ico. Beats the heck out of my 7 years. =/

DJIzana

TLG & FFvsXIII could actually be pretty damn compelling as PS4 launch titles.

That, of course, means they will both release on PS3. ;(

I have a strange feeling that with Ubisoft's approach to develop next gen & current gen games, in tandem, Square Enix will likely take a similar approach with their games... maybe even Team Ico too.

Danneee

Well, he's saying that he won't say a date because he don't want to disappoint people. If its going ps4/next gen he would probably say that to no disappoint people further? Not that people wouldn't,just not as much as finding that out much later.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
icxoBgDfXaNzg.gif

Limanima

I'm hoping for a PS3 and PS4 release.
That's what makes more sense to me at this point.

I'm also more interested in a making-of documentary at this point.
Yeah, this would be great.

Making this a PS4 launch title would be such a bad move for Sony. It's a niche game that isn't likely to break 500,000 units even on PS3. And with the number of years it's been in development, 500,000 is still not enough to recoup Sony's investment. As a launch title it would have greater visibility, but it likely wouldn't even approach 500,000.
With 7+ years in development I doubt that Sony will ever see their money back. This makes the idea of lauching the game in PS4 even stronger. It will help sell consoles (if it is infact impressive).
I also disagree that it would not break 500.000 on the PS3. SotC sold about 700.000 (read it somewhere).

That did not work out well for Shadow, that game is a technical mess.
Why do you say that?

I bought a PS3 for this game...

... and sold it last month, having never played it. Guess you suckered me, Sony. Won't happen again.

Haunted

I bought a PS3 for this game...

... and sold it last month, having never played it. Guess you suckered me, Sony. Won't happen again.
:lol sorry man, you know I love you but I actually laughed out loud. They got you good.

Never buy on promises.

Can't they bring in some ICE team members if they have so much technical problems?
They are probably helping.

they say a while ago that different studios where "shipping in" to help with TLG.

http://gamingeverything.com/15617/w...ians-development-including-sony-santa-monica/

If this game isnt next gen then they double fucked up.

Its a Team Ico game so its not going to sell loads anyway. Might as well have it as a early next gen game and get those hardcore guys to buy the ps4 to play it.

If its early enough of the ps4 then people wont mind if it looks a bit like a upscaled ps3 game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If this game isnt next gen then they double fucked up.

Its a Team Ico game so its not going to sell loads anyway. Might as well have it as a early next gen game and get those hardcore guys to buy the ps4 to play it.

If its early enough of the ps4 then people wont mind if it looks a bit like a upscaled ps3 game.
All true. The game looked so good that it would not be a shame to put it on PS4 even if it looks just the same but in higher resolution and solid framerate. It looked like it had framerate problems on PS3 last I've seen it anyway. Ah yes, they'd also be able to use proper transparency too.

The problem IMO, is that what they want to do with this game is complex regardless of hardware. If there are no known good solutions for something, not even a supercomputer will help you.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont see why would Yoshida confirm release date to JeuxVideo.fr, if there is one game that deseves E3 spotlight, its this one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont see why would Yoshida confirm release date to JeuxVideo.fr, if there is one game that deseves E3 spotlight, its this one.

He didn't confirm the release date, that's the whole point, he *CAN'T* confirm a release date for 2013.

This just reinforces my opinion that Yoshida should step aside and let someone else do the job. They need someone who can take the bull by the horns. I haven't seen much that impresses me about the way he has run things.

Like some others here, the Last Guardian was one of the games that contributed to me buying a PS3. I want the Last Guardian, if it is salvageable at this point, to be on the PS3 I payed for to play it on. With that said, it does appear in Sony's best interest to release the game for PS4. While I don't plan on buying any next gen consoles, I know a strong launch line up can translate to strong early sales which gets third parties to notice and consequently stronger long term sales. It'll disappoint the hell out of me for them to do this, but it makes good business sense. The only way I see this working well for them as a PS3 game that benefits the future of their brand is if they get this out around the time of the PS4 launch and the PS4 is known to be backwards compatible. At least in that sense you might get someone to buy in who ignored Sony this generation, but feel they missed out on some exclusives that they wanted to play and now can on the value-added PS4. The reason why I say around launch is because hype is short lived in the gaming community. It climbs rapidly approaching a game's release, but starts to dissipate soon afterwards. If you don't think that's the truth, go back to an old "most anticipated" thread you posted in and let me know how many games you mentioned that you bought years after they've released. No one is going to buy a PS4 because they missed out on Folklore or Infamous, but they might buy one if there's something more recent to be jealous about. I do hope they get this thing out on PS3, but until Sony shows screens or footage, I'm assuming their withholding the game for the PS4. If this really is still a PS3 game, I just don't see how a company has footage for a game, proceeds to show nothing for years, but still let's everyone know periodically that the game is being intensely worked on and will be released.

SeriousApes

I used to care about TLG.

I wish developers wouldn't reveal a game before it has a clear endpoint. Ideally, for me, new games would be completed and released within a year of the initial reveal.
I just don't have it in me to stay hyped for a game for years and years.

jett

D-Member
Fuck it, just release this bitch on PS4 if you're having so many technical issues with it. ICO-fy this sunnavabitch.

Top Bottom