• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida can't promises The Last Guardian for 2013

Madridy

I truly believe the game's original idea was scraped or canceled, maybe because it was inconceivable or something, and they've started all over again.

Because nothing else explains this kind of incompetence.

PS4 title. It's pretty much confirmed at this point.

Hopefully it will run well and look amazing next gen, as I fear it would be compromised this gen (just like SOTC was on PS2).

They confirmed it is still a PS3 title at GamesCom.

"No, it's not dead, no it's not a next gen title now, stop asking" Something like that.

Floex

If they did make this a PS4 launch title, this would pretty much confirm me buying one at launch

I worry if for some crazy reason they still have in their minds it's going to be for PS3 that it will simply be somewhat overlooked if next gen is in full swing

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iobNWfTFyfG0D.gif

Putting it on my list of must have PS9 games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Obviously if you still like Nintendo after the Wii the post-purchase rationalization must be strong in you. Psychology to the rescue.

Actually, nintendo did great games on the wii, so probably the psychology and the post-purchase rationalization are strong in the other way.

In any case, I'd love to play The last guardian, hopefully it will not turn out as vaporware...

gaming_noob

Any estimation on the cost of this project so far? I know they're a fairly small team of about 30, but it's been..what...6 years?

batbeg

I bought my PS3 the day I saw the well teaser pick. There were lots of other good reasons and future titles of interest, but that's what pushed me over the edge.

:(

meta4

What don't you understand in "if you like Nintendo games"?

So you are telling me that if you like Nintendo games there is no possibility of any disappointment. You loved Metroid Other M as well eh? I cant ascertain that every game in the franchise I like is going to be awesome and not disappointing whether it is Sony or Nintendo but whatever...

Dali

Nothing wrong with that. They shouldn't talk about any dates until they know that they can meet it.
That's what wrong with it. The game has been in development this long and he still can't guarantee it'll make it before years end. I agree with what you're saying but at thist point it should be in a complete enough state to where he should be able to make those kind of statements or say its gold and say its release date has yet to be set by Sony. For him to say they are still doing engine development at this phase is kinda insane.

So what do you want him to say? Like he said, the last time that they mentioned a date they ended up disappointing people when it had to be delayed. So it's absolutely the best thing to just wait until they know that it's back on track. And that isn't going to happen until they get the technical issues worked out.

Fabrik

Banned
Actually, nintendo did great games on the wii, so probably the psychology and the post-purchase rationalization are strong in the other way.

Yep their output is always globally constant. They haven't been worse than during the GC days. But it's not the topic here anyway.

So you are telling me that if you like Nintendo games there is no possibility of any disappointment. You loved Metroid Other M as well eh? I cant ascertain that every game in the franchise I like is going to be awesome and not disappointing whether it is Sony or Nintendo but whatever...

Yes. OVERALL it is impossible to be disappointed by every single new iterations of their franchise during one generation.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Cut the crap, even the most avid Nintendo fan can admit Other M was flawed.

meta4

That's what wrong with it. The game has been in development this long and he still can't guarantee it'll make it before years end. I agree with what you're saying but at thist point it should be in a complete enough state to where he should be able to make those kind of statements or say its gold and say its release date has yet to be set by Sony. For him to say they are still doing engine development at this phase is kinda insane.

This is obviously being shifted to the PS4. No way they are still developing the engine for the PS3.

Erethian

PS4 title. It's pretty much confirmed at this point.

Hopefully it will run well and look amazing next gen, as I fear it would be compromised this gen (just like SOTC was on PS2).

I can think of nothing better for a game with a troubled development lifecycle than to have the team transition it to a new, unfamiliar piece of hardware.

Lebron

This has been going on long enough that people shouldn't even be outraged anymore, like Versus. The stages of grief should have already passed.

Finally. It sucks that it isn't out yet 'cause the new PS3 slimmer is absoute shit. I really don't feel comfortable buying that ugly device. A year is a long time to just sit on a slim, if I can even find one now.

Acrylic7

Not on my radar.
Iv come to the conclusion that if the game hasn't been shown on every website, or for this mater once, I does not exist.

This game is nothing more than a concept on a piece of paper/
would be nice but at this point I'm like whatever.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The only game I'm playing with The Last Guardian is watching as each of this travesty's depressed defenders slip away one by one.

Should have been cancelled, no-one has balls enough up in there clearly.

raven777

why don't they just release it both on PS3/PS4

720P, 30fps no AA version on PS3

1080P, 60fps, AA version on PS4

You know his emotions so well, curiously you don't even know that Yoshida is the head of SCE WW Studios and not a game designer.

Is A.M. EST. I'm tired, my mistake. Clearly got confuse with the names, its been that long. Still, lol on my part...

i-Lo

This is disappointing news. I had defended Team Ico for a very long time but their inability to produce a game throughout PS3's entire life cycle can't be left justified any longer.

It still surprises me that even with the current collaboration with SSM they can't guarantee a 2013 release. I assume it'll be the last major release for PS3 during fall or holiday 2013. Should they fail, it's better off that they make it a PS4 game.

TrutaS

PS4 conversion is what they are working on now. No other way around it.

Might be a decent showcase for new hardware though, if graphics have properly evolved from what was last shown. Beats Halo 5 for me that's for sure.

Arcipello

crazy to think that children born when TLG was first announced would be more than old enough to play and complete it by the time it came out :[

Top Bottom