• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Wii is pretty much over, what did you think?

StuBurns

Banned
The launch of a new system is always exciting, but it's also usually the death of another. The Wii is over, ultimately, what did you think? Which games did you enjoy most? Any major let downs?

Pour one out.

Mobius 1

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, gave the system away.

Not Nintendo's finest moment in my opinion.

Or I just grew out of their target demographics.

Some of the best games of the generation, and an underrated library of games. And Dolphin.

So I love the Wii even if it had some pretty tough droughts.

I don't feel that the experiences that the Wii offered were as great as any of the other three platforms. I think Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii in terms of speaking to me as a gamer. I hope they are better with the WiiU and the third party support is better for it.

either i got too old, or something went wrong. I spent more time playing gamecube games on it than wii games. and all the must have titles came out during other musthave titles on ps3/xbox/pc that by the time i finished those, i lost interest.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So much crap allowed on the system they created their own little version of the great video game crash.

Grief.exe

Dolphin really enhances the visuals of some of these games.

Sometimes you play games like Mario Galaxy or Dark Souls on PC and you just see some textures or art style that blows your mind. Would have never noticed some of these finer details on a console.

It was a system with a genuinely interesting and promising control scheme. The console had a ton of cult classics and niche appeal games that makes it a winner in my eyes. This is especially true if you were a Nintendo gamer since Nintendo's ouput for the system was stellar(even without F-Zero). The unfortunate part was the absolutely backwards online portion of the console(in every way possible) combined with the absolutely shit-tastic hardware that gimped the console completely.

hachi

Banned
I enjoyed many things, but Mario Galaxy still stands tall above the rest. It was all my childhood Christmas mornings rolled into one.

I also played games with extended family members at holidays in ways never before possible. None of these individuals knows how to work a modern gamepad, yet everyone was competing. The simplification of controls was a godsend for social settings. Including dates.

destrudo

I bought it pretty close to launch and then sold it not long after Brawl came out. I enjoyed a handful of the games, but it's the only console I've ever sold. Mostly it just collected dust.

DrLazy

Wii sports might be my all time most played game. The system's peak was reached at launch. Wii Fit was very innovative and cool. It's an awesome system for parties.

Demoli

Can't say i didn't leave a bit disapointed, but the software line up, specially first party, was so good. SMG 1 and 2 are sublime, Xenoblade is my new favourite game of all time, Prime 3 was great, DKCR was awesome, Brawl was a lot of fun, Muramasa was a good side dish and so on so forth.

If nintendo ahs the same output on the U, I would also leave happy.

qq more

My backlog is gigantic. I never even started SMG2, Epic Yarn, Xenoblade and even DKCR! I'm horrible as a Nintendo fan!

But yeah, despite that, I really enjoyed the system whenever I play it. Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Monster Hunter Tri and so on... what a fun system!

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid Prime Trilogy, RE4: Wii Edition, Excitetruck/bots, Boom Blox, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Xenoblade, House of the Dead Overkill.

It was a cheap system, with a great new controller and had some of my favourite games ever made on it. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is, of course, the console game of the entire generation at least so far.

Wonderful system, and the perfect companion to my high-end PC.

zroid

Banned
Surprising as it may be to some, the Wii is handily my favourite Nintendo home console since the SNES. So many great games. So many unique games. The Wii's strongest attribute was its lack of focus on multiplats (for me, as a multiplatform owner).

lopaz

Banned
had a helluva lot of fun through uni with that thing. wii sports, brawl, galaxy 2, boom blox and red steel 2 made it epic. ooh let's not forget excite truck! I probably dropped a few grade boundaries thanks to that game :)

tass0

Banned
Meh.

The only Nintendo console I can think of that I really did not like. At all.

There's a few great games, but overall, after 6 years... not that much.

Plus the motion controls are a nuisance. Every great game on Wii would be better without motion controls.

Having to point at the screen for an entire game isn't fun, but as the 1st post read:

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

That was enough to justify the purchase.

RM8

I love my Wii. Pretty much just as much as my PS3, honestly. It's all opinion, but I can't believe people prefer PS3+360 over PS3/360+Wii.

Speevy

Banned
A system that has plenty of great games, and plenty of games that are made less accessible by the very controller that tried to make them more accessible.

Loved it. Played more than 30 games on it. Can not use traditional control anyways so I think this was one of the best input method for interactive entertainment.

massoluk

Banned
Purchase more than justified. I bought more game for the Wii than I ever owned for the SNES.

Wii and a good PC is the perfect combo.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
smg.box.art.full-3252010-580px.jpg

It gave us the best game of this generation. We should be thankful to the Wii.

Penguin

Ultimately, it has a library of games that I would hang my hat on.

Three of my personal favorite games of the generation (Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade)
True evolutions of classic franchises.
The return of old franchises
Revival of 2D platformers and rail shooters (House of the Dead Overkill!)

Not the greatest, but some hidden gems in WiiWare.

My experience was overall positive.

Punch-Out!! was amazing. No one is mentioning it, which makes me sad. = (

Yep. Wii was great when it came to reviving old, dead franchises that hadn't seen a main console release in their main genre in years. Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, Punch-Out, Excite, etc. Good time for old school Nintendo franchises, and Wiiware had some great revivals for third-party old school franchises as well.

Glass Rebel

Neat system, good companion console to a decent to good PC, had some of Nintendo's finest games ever and ny all-time favourite Sin & Punishment 2. Software droughts led me often to mediocre and IMO overhyped games, sadly.

I regret buying it at launch but don't regret owning one.

Anth0ny

Worst Nintendo console ever.

*scans down shelf of games*

But not bad. The two Galaxy games were fantastic. Xenoblade, from what I've played of it, is incredible and I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft does next. Megaman 9, if it counts, was one of the best gaming experiences of this gen for me.

Besides that, lots of disappointment. Brawl was the greatest disappointment in the history of gaming. Skyward Sword and Other M were up there, too. Super Paper Mario, NSMB Wii and DKCR, as much as I enjoyed them, didn't live up to their predecessors. The two Kirby games and Rhythm Heaven were cute... nothing amazing, though.

Overall:

N64>SNES>Gamecube>NES>>>>Wii

SmithnCo

Quite a few gems and of course the immaculate Galaxy games. (Punch-Out and S&P2 being a couple favorites) I think the Zelda games for it are rather lacking though.

The VC is quite awesome, with a great selection of stuff (except 64 which just has the bare bones). I wish it had more sales though.

The system really showed it's age though and at the end there was really bone dry.

LeleSocho

Banned
what did you think? Which games did you enjoy most? Any major let downs?

Worst Nintendo console ever.

The two Zeldas and the first Mario Galaxy.

Everything else besides the 3 games i mentioned, if i had to be more specific i would say that the console didn't delivered its promises aside for one game which we had to wait 5 years for it (SS) it also had in my opinion the worst support than any other console i owned from both Nintendo and third party (quality wise) and besides all that it didn't even gave eye candy since even at launch had an incredibly outdated and obsolete hardware

GameCube and N64 were vastly superior for me

Top Bottom