• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

Salsa

for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

Medalion

Banned
Holy shit, you weren't kidding, that IS GLaDOS

However, it makes sense after you heard the voice over mention a "portal" beneath the sea

The movie looks stupid as hell, and the fact that GlaDOS is basically in it seems like its trying to pander to Portal fans a bit.

The word "Portal" was even in the trailer.
Had to have been on purpose, cause there are quite a few other words that would have fit to replace it.

injurai

Banned
I don't like it because it's an iconic filtered voice that valve's sound people engineered with Ellen McClain. I will now forever remember this movie as the one that copied GlaDOS voice because they're weren't creative enough to define a new iconic android voice. This is the worst kind of pandering, and people will not remember this inclusion fondly.

I think you're really, really overestimating Portal's influence on pop culture. I doubt I'd be able to find a single non-gamer who knows who Gladdos is, but even my grandparents have heard of stuff like Call of Duty and Mario.

Whatever lets be serious - 95% of the people who watch this will have never heard that voice before. If you think otherwise you are seriously overestimating how popular Portal is.

injurai

Banned
Distracting... or awesome

Holy shit lol it has Faith-esque character too

It's distracting. I can respect nods or easter eggs. With songs I respect sampling and remixing. With art appropriation.

But carbon copies are not looked upon fondly by me.

donny2112

If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

Good morning, Dave.

200px-HAL9000.svg.png

Haunted

Fuck, that is awesome.

I expected the monsters and mechs to be bigger from the trailer descriptions at comic-con, but this looks pretty nice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the trailer for the first time, and yeah, I don't like it. It sounds way too close to her GlaDOS voice. Feels wrong to hear it out of the Portal context.

Also: holy hell that movie looks awful.

Giolon

Do you realize that she can't actually modulate her own voice right? WB had the choice to computerize it in any way they wanted, and they chose to do it in a manner nearly identical to what Valve did for GlaDOS. Listen to what she sounds like here, using a similar cadence to what she does for GlaDOS, but w/o modulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOkt2ZFyUlI

Second of all, hot damn does that movie look awesome in that sort of big, dumb summer blockbuster sort of way. I'll see it.

Dipswitch

That was bizarre. Will probably bug the crap out of me watching the movie, even though I thought she was great in Portal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to Elba showing up more often nowadays.

MG310

for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

IIRC he discussed this on a live Nerdist podcast and said that he asked Valve before doing it.

Aeana

Do you realize that she can't actually modulate her own voice right? WB but they had the choice to computerize it in any way they wanted, and they chose to do it in a manner nearly identical to what Valve did for GlaDOS. Listen to what she sounds like here, using a similar cadence to what she does for GlaDOS, but w/o modulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOkt2ZFyUlI

Second of all, hot damn does that movie look awesome in that sort of big, dumb summer blockbuster sort of way. I'll see it.
Yes, they made the decision to make her like GlaDOS consciously, and del Toro even asked Gabe for permission specifically to do it because he wanted it to be the same voice.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This is Del Toro's "my video game movie got canned, my Cthulu movie got canned, screw you guys, I'm making my very own movie with both."

Winner? Everyone.

Chiggs

Yes, they made the decision to make her like GlaDOS consciously, and del Toro even asked Gabe for permission specifically to do it because he wanted it to be the same voice.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Pretty cool of Gabe.

Medalion

Banned
Apparently Del Toro actually used his daughter to convince Gabe to lend Ellen to do the voice over in her GLaDOS voice

So this is legit

Edit: Beaten, like my dick!

Don't think about it.

Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.Don't think about it.Don't think about it. Don't think about it.

marrec

Banned
It's kinda awesome. Portal and GLaDOS are icons to me, but I seriously doubt most people will make the connection.

Hype.

Gartooth

Was going to ask if Valve would/could take action over this, but considering Gabe already gave permission I guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well done! Remember: The Aperture Science Bring Your Daughter to Work Day is the perfect time to have her tested
to become a giant robot pilot

thebeeks

Banned
It is a little distracting, but no more than hearing a celebrity with a well-known voice appear in animated movies and such.

Top Bottom