• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

Medalion

Banned
spaceu.png

SPAAAACCCEE!!

Where's Wheatley in this movie?

Stephen Merchant better make a guest cameo

Salsa

I'm really surprised by the amount of people getting upset over this. He asked permission, it seems like a pretty cool nod to portal and it is DEL TORO MAKING A FUCKING MECHA MOVIE! I am pretty pumped.

I dont think anyone's getting upset, some are just saying its distracting

Comandr

Probably. People are throwing around Transformers and Gundam, but Evangelion seems like a much more direct inspiration for a lot of this.

edit: Just listened again and I can't make it out, but I feel like I'm hearing a G sound.

"Ready to activate the Jaeger." All the robots are called Jaegers. Do your homework! ;)

Note: Which means Hunter in German. Lernd.

I loved the trailer, but I do wish they at least changed the voice up a little bit. I'd be fine if they used the same actress, but it's literally the same exact voice. Movie still looks fun as hell, though.

I dont think anyone's getting upset, some are just saying its distracting
Alright, maybe not upset. Maybe I am just surprised that people aren't as enthusiastic about the combination of del Toro, mechs, and glados as i am.

Pretty cool

I'm somewhat surprised at the non - "Oh shit! It's GlaDOS!" replies. Actors sound the same in like 90% of their movies, this actor just happened to do that 'voice' (including the modulation) in a different medium.

Be happy with the reference you nerds

for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

Real question.... why didn't they just make a Portal movie?

I think it's a cool little homage. Non-fans won't notice, and people who love Portal will just have another reason to love the movie.

It's clearly a project rooted in references & Del Toro's own passions - so it's in no way surprising that he'd do something like this.

i hope del toro does a ton with scale. my least favorite thing about the transformers movies (among a million things) is that there is so little sense that transformers are super huge and imposing, or what it would be like to stand next to something that immense that at any moment could crush you with its foot.

I don't know, I don't get the sense that something that can fold into a Camaro would be that big.

I think GlaDOS is pandering and lame.

However, EVERYTHING else looks awesome. We can just pray that the voice is only briefly in it, and not some major part for some reason.

God I love me some giant monsters, though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I don't know, I don't get the sense that something that can fold into a Camaro would be that big.

heh, actually, when bumblebee transforms from a car into a giant robot right in front of sam in the first movie, the sense of scale there is great. it's probably my favorite scene, but it's one of few that inspires any real awe.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the hell is this? Mass Effect + Mazinger + typical human boring characters?

Count me in for two thirds of this

and LUTHER!

Raziel

GlaDOS a "pretty big pop culture character" is absurd. In gaming pop culture, sure; although I wonder about even that. Our 'gamers' in frats haven't heard of Bioshock, remember.

I find it more jarring hearing Jax, because I'm such a follower of Sons of Anarchy and can't disassociate Charlie Hunnam with that character.

Jarmel

Banned
Great choice on their part. GLADOS isn't popular enough for this to be a real big problem for most people and it's a cool easter egg for Portal fans.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wow. Looks like someone watched Evangelion and Cloverfield in the same sitting and thought: why the fuck not?

Except they left out the neurotic emo daddy issues and the inability to see shit due to the found footage handicam fad.

So this must be like the definitive edition or something.

The only distracting part of it to me is it reminds me of how bad Portal 2 was. I can't help but feel that association is going to make it harder to enjoy PR.

And yes I know that's an unpopular opinion but I thought the story/dialogue in P2 was awful. The gameplay itself was average.

kylej

Banned
That movie looks really lame imo. I got excited when I saw the white suits being put on. Thought they were going to fight that giant monster with portals somehow.

Top Bottom