• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It really is distracting as hell.

Its not like the actress should never be able to do voice work again, but... A computer voice with the exact same effects? Uh..

Salsa

IIRC he discussed this on a live Nerdist podcast and said that he asked Valve before doing it.

well he got Ellen through Valve, but I didnt think he was gonna ask her to do the same exact voice, now I know. Either way im not briging this up as a "valve should sue!" thing, not even close lol

I think you're really, really overestimating Portal's influence on pop culture. I doubt I'd be able to find a single non-gamer who knows who Gladdos is, but even my grandparents have heard of stuff like Call of Duty and Mario.

Whatever lets be serious - 95% of the people who watch this will have never heard that voice before. If you think otherwise you are seriously overestimating how popular Portal is.

Not nearly.

fair, but this is more what I meant:

- a ton of people play games

- this movie appeals to a type of audience that is easy to associate with videogame players

- I think its safe to say that a big percentage (if not the majority) of those people know who GlaDOS is and have her voice very present

its weird

Fox Mulder

It's an awesome voice effect and most of the summer blockbuster movie audience probably have no idea it comes from a video game. Maybe they'll read about it in reviews and play an awesome game too.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ganking something wholesale is pretty cheap. But then the whole film is like "Toro plays with his favourite Godzilla and robut toys".

ferr

Yeah, glados, makes me think a valve game hollywood blockbuster would melt my eyes.

Pacific Rim on the other hand, all i have to say is: duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddeeeeee that looks coooooooooooooooool.

Valve should get their lawyers on this. The voices sounds exactly the same and it would be foolish of them to just let this film take the voice of GLaDOS.

EDIT: Apparently the film got Gabe's permission to use the voice.

Still a dumb move.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
fair, but this is more what I meant:

- a ton of people play games

- this movie appeals to a type of audience that is easy to associate with videogame players

- I think its safe to say that a big percentage (if not the majority) of those people know who GlaDOS is and have her voice very present
Yeah, and from my anecdotal experience, pretty much everyone I know who has even a little interest in video games has played Portal or at least seen one of the ending credits songs on Youtube. A fair amount of those people would recognize her voice, but perhaps wouldn't assign it so firmly to GlaDOS as to be bothered by it.

Fjordson

Yeah, that's weirding me out. Really does sound identical to Glados. But I imagine it won't make a lick of difference for most people that see the movie.

It looks pretty cool. Been hearing about this for a long time now, but hadn't seen the trailer yet. Looks great visually.

I like it.

Also: Is that Jax from Sons of Anarchy in it? That's bad ass.
Yeah. Charlie Hunnam. Love him and Idris Elba.

aparisi2274

for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

Not annoying at all...

So what's the over/under on a "the cake is a lie" joke being in the film?

Hopefully they keep any of this type of stuff out of the movie. I think using the GladOS voice is cool, but I really only like it in there as a way for Del Toro to say "Hey Valve is rad, here is a little easter egg for those that know what this voice is."

Honestly though, I don't find it distracting at all and since he got permission it is pretty much a non-issue in my eyes. Also, I want to see the shit out of this movie now.

Still a dumb move.

Why?

I mean, I guess people that have played Portal might think it annoying but then again maybe they'd think its neat? I like it anyway. I don't see how its much different than hearing a voice actor use a similar sounding voice to voice a different character in different games. Just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I think some people are way overstating how much people know Portal.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i hope del toro does a ton with scale. my least favorite thing about the transformers movies (among a million things) is that there is so little sense that transformers are super huge and imposing, or what it would be like to stand next to something that immense that at any moment could crush you with its foot.

wrowa

When del Toro announced they've got Valve's permission to use "GlaDOS's" voice I expected them to use it as some small easter egg. She's pretty prominently used in the trailer, though. That's indeed a little awkward when you know the Portal series, since she doesn't seem to share GlaDOS personality in Pacific Rim in the slightest.

Comandr

I'm disappointed in the lot of you that had no idea about this movie before now.

Also: The giant grin on my face during the whole trailer after hearing that voice.

This looks pretty awesome. Hopefully it does not disappoint.

Anyway, this collaboration/easter egg makes me wonder if Del Toro had a talk with Valve about Insane.

Why?

I mean, I guess people that have played Portal might think it annoying but then again maybe they'd think its neat? I like it anyway. I don't see how its much different than hearing a voice actor use a similar sounding voice to voice a different character in different games. Just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I think some people are way overstating how much people know Portal.

I think Valve should protect their character. When people hear the voice of GLaDOS they should never associate it with another IP.

Teknoman

I'm disappointed in the lot of you that had no idea about this movie before now.

Also: The giant grin on my face during the whole trailer after hearing that voice.

I remember reading about it here...long ago.

I have to agree.

Can you imagine hearing Nathan Drake's voice in anything other than Uncharted? It's blasphemy.

I think this time its a little different lol. Still going to see the movie though, since it seems like live action giant monster movie done right. Even has rocket dynamite punch attacks.

Medalion

Banned
The movie pretty much IS a video game or a piece of media aimed at that kinda demographic

Not that surprised, has OTAKU all over it

louiedog

Did Glados just call the robots EVA? (Around the 1:10 mark)

Probably. People are throwing around Transformers and Gundam, but Evangelion seems like a much more direct inspiration for a lot of this.

edit: Just listened again and I can't make it out, but I feel like I'm hearing a G sound.

Linkup

Robot computer in game becomes robot computer in movie, usually it's just called a cameo. Not like the actor is walking around in the movie with that voice.

It's more distracting when you watch an actor play a role and then appear in another movie looking not all that different and playing some completely opposite role!

Also if people would actually think anything is a cheap pandering it GlaDes and Hal not Portal and Pacific Rim.

I'm really surprised by the amount of people getting upset over this. He asked permission, it seems like a pretty cool nod to portal and it is DEL TORO MAKING A FUCKING MECHA MOVIE! I am pretty pumped.

HoosTrax

spaceu.png

SPAAAACCCEE!!

Comandr

I think Valve should protect their character. When people hear the voice of GLaDOS they should never associate it with another IP.

I dunno. I guess I could be wrong, but we associate the voice of GLaDOS with the hostile AI because that's how we know her. But being that GLaDOS is just software, I think it would be neat to speculate that the software technology behind GLaDOS and the computer in PR could be the same, even if the AI or personalities are not.

This is somewhat like the Terminator series, I suppose. I can't speak on T-800 because we have only seen that model as Arnold. But the T-1000 series has been portrayed by Robert Patrick, and then by Shirley Manson in the TV series. Each of these units has different personalities and aesthetics in the end, but fresh off the factory floor, they all look, behave, and function the same.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom