• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official WWDC 2005 Apple Keynote thread - it's on!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Will the Intel rumours turn up to be true or false? Will Steve hold a new iPod in his hand? The suspense!

http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/

Live Updates
10:12 am steve wearing all black
10:05 am Steve takes the stage
9:59 am *music playing*
9:46 am testing 1234
9:43 am Doors to hall are open
People beginning to take seats
5:33 pm steve wearing all black
5:33 pm 109 stores worldwide

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
# Jobs touts Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. One billion copies of QuickTime shipped. QuickTime 7 preview available for Windows today. Jobs quotes various glowing media reviews of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, highlighting Spotlight. [10:18 am]

# Mac doing very well. PC growth rate is around 10% today . 9 months ago Mac growth rate took off. [10:16 am]

# Apple will build in Podcasting support into iTunes. Easy/quick listing of Podcasts right into iTunes. Subscribe podcasts, download old podcasts. Jobs demos Adam Curry podcast. Artwork in iTunes window changes as you scrub podcasts. Jobs said that new iTunes would take podcasting mainstream. [10:16 am]

# End of last quarter 16 million iPods sold. 76% marketshare of all MP3 players. 430M sonds sold and downloaded. 82 percent iTunes marketshare in the month of May. Podcasting is exploding. "TiVo for Radio." "Wayne's World for radio." Hottest thing going for Radio. Over 8,000 podcasts right now and growing very fast. [10:12 am]

# Apple shows retail video. 109 stores. 1 million visitors per week. Retail/Online stores have sold half a billion in products. "Best Buying Experience in the World" [10:07 am]

# 3800 attendees. largest in last decade. 45 countries including China. 110 lab sessions. 400+ entries for Appple Design Awards. Over half-a-million ADC members. 109 stores. 1 million visitors per week. Retail/Online stores have sold half a billion in products. [10:07 am]

# 9:55 am PT. Live Keynote coverage begins soon.

# 9:20 am PT. Testing Service.

ckohler

Engadget.com also has great live coverage....

9:59am PDT - Paul says he’s in line to go in, sandwiched between NGerda from Wikinews and John Markoff from the New York Times. Everything should start rolling in a few minutes.

10:06am PDT- “Steve and his bottle of water take the stage. “Today is an important day.” Half a million members in the developer community. 109 Apple stores world wide get 1 million visitors a week. $500M in 3rd part products sold in past 12 months.

10:07am PDT - Steve is showing off the London store again. Those lucky RHD geeks! (RHD = right hand drive)

10:09am PDT - Video promo for Apple stores.

10:11am PDT - iPod update: You know you’re successful when you’re on the cover of The New Yorker (in a goofy cartoon). 76% market share. 430M songs sold thru iTunes. iTunes 82% market share.

10:12am PDT - Steve is explaining Podcasting. “TiVo for radio.” “Wayne’s World for radio.” “We see it as the hottest thing going in radio.” 8,000+ podcasts and growing.

10:14am PDT - “The pros have realized this is huge.” Rush Limbaugh, ABC News NBC News ESPN Disney Proctor & Gamble etc, long list. ot surprisingly, iTunes is adding Podcasting support, including a podcast directory in the iTMS. [Which is old news to us] “You don’t have to type URLs into iTunes, although you can still do that.” Demo: Adam Curry podcast in iTunes.

10:15am PDT - Curry sound bite: “Sixty million dollars worth of airplay strapped to my ass.” KCRW demo.

10:16am PDT - The Treatment KCRW show, with fat-sounding Kruder & Dorfmmeister theme music. The point being a podcast can sound as good as satellite radio. iTunes shows album cover art to go with songs being ‘cast.

10:17am PDT - Mac update. PC units shipped, growth is slowing fromm 10% 5 quarters ago to just above 10%. Mac has gone from less than 10% growth to just over 40% in most recent quarter. Steve showing high points of Tiger. Quicktime with H264 for Windows preview release today.

10:20am - PDT - Steve running through gushy quotes about Tiger from the press.

10:21am PDT - 2,000,000 copies of Tiger sold already. 40+ Spotlight plugins, 400+ Dashboard widgets, 550+ Automator programs available in first few weeks.

ckohler

10:23am PDT - Dashboard demo. Amazon, BusinessWeek, CNN. Calendar (Steve enters far-in-future Longhorn date), package tracker. NPR station finder. Steve is now explaining Wikipedia as “one of the most accurate encyclopedias in the world.”

10:25am PDT - OS 10.5 will be called Leopard. Timed for release near Longhorn.

10:26am PDT - “Now, let’s go to the big topic: Transitions.”

10:27am PDT - 1994-1996 Moto 68K -> PowerPC. “I wasn’t hear then, but from everything I hear the team did a great job.” 2001-2003: OS9 - OS X.

10:28am PDT - “It’s time for a third transition. And yes, (puts up slide that says): It’s true.” Next slide is one word: “Why?”

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ckohler said:
10:23am PDT - Dashboard demo. Amazon, BusinessWeek, CNN. Calendar (Steve enters far-in-future Longhorn date), package tracker. NPR station finder. Steve is now explaining Wikipedia as “one of the most accurate encyclopedias in the world.”

10:25am PDT - OS 10.5 will be called Leopard. Timed for release near Longhorn.

10:26am PDT - “Now, let’s go to the big topic: Transitions.”

10:27am PDT - 1994-1996 Moto 68K -> PowerPC. “I wasn’t hear then, but from everything I hear the team did a great job.” 2001-2003: OS9 - OS X.

10:28am PDT - “It’s time for a third transition. And yes, (puts up slide that says): It’s true.” Next slide is one word: “Why?”

i was about to post that. its coming!

DMczaf

10:29am PDT - “I stood up two years ago and promised this (3.0G PowerMac), and we haven’t been able to deliver.” Steve says it’s bigger than that, though. No roadmap for the future based on PowerPC - they can’t see a future.

10:30am PDT - Intel offers not just increased performance, but reduced power consumption. Transition will be complete by WWDC ‘07.

10:31am PDT - PowerPC - 15 integer perf units (not sure what) per watt. Intel does 70 per watt. “Mac OS X has been living a secret double life” for the past 5 years.

:eek

10:31am PDT - PowerPC - 15 integer perf units (not sure what) per watt. Intel does 70 per watt. “Mac OS X has been living a secret double life” for the past 5 years.

Translation: "We've been lying to you about how PowerMacs are faster than Intel PCs for the last 5 years" :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Mac OS X has been leading secret double life. Every Mac project build for Intel and PowerPC and Intel. Every release of Mac OS X has been built for both Intel and PowerPC-based Macs. For the last 5 years. Mac OS X is cross-platform by design. Apple's demo is on an Intel-based system. Jobs shows all Mac OS X Tiger features are already compatible with Intel-based processors. [10:32 am]

ckohler

10:32am PDT - Satellite shot with crosshairs shows building where a team has been working on the “Just in Case…” scenario. Every release of Mac OS X has been compiled for Intel for the past 5 years. Here comes the demo!

10:33am PDT - “As a matter of fact, this system I’ve been using here…” the keynote’s been running on a P4 3.6GHz all morning”

10:34am PDT - Steve’s hopping through every app. Performance is snappy. He’s playing an H264 movie trailer for something wtih Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. “Ok, enough of that” he says after a few seconds.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
10:32am PDT - Satellite shot with crosshairs shows building where a team has been working on the “Just in Case…” scenario. Every release of Mac OS X has been compiled for Intel for the past 5 years. Here comes the demo!

MS has got to be a bit worried right now.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ignatz Mouse said:
More like "notice how your laptop almost burns you when you use it?"

Except the laptops have all been G4's. The reason Apple's making this switch is because IBM failed to get the G5 to 3GHz and to get it into the laptops.

SteveMeister said:
Except the laptops have all been G4's. The reason Apple's making this switch is because IBM failed to get the G5 to 3GHz and to get it into the laptops.

Exactly. Even the g4's run hot in laptops, and they haven't been able to get a G5 cool enough, fast enough to put in one.

In other words, we agree.

quadriplegicjon said:
MS has got to be a bit worried right now.

Worried? It's not like Apples gonna sell you OSX for every Intel PC out there. They are gonna sell you a closed box with Intel inside. They are pussies scared of stability going out the window (puny) if they support all Intel boxes.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ignatz Mouse said:
The big question is whether or not the platform will be open at all. Will you be able to install on an existing wintel box?

I doubt it. Apple's not getting out of the hardware business just yet.

fse

10:38 am Mathematica 5 for Mac OS X was ported to Intel last week...in just two hours.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Press release:

Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006
Monday June 6, 1:30 pm ET

WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO, June 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of its critically acclaimed operating system, Mac OS® X Tiger, running on an Intel- based Mac® to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs' keynote address. Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple's software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

Rest of it is here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050606/sfm142.html?.v=9

dkeane

10:45am PDT - Steve back onstage: “Not every application will be Universal on Day 1.” A new technology, Rosetta, will run existing PowerPC apps on Intel. Dynamic binary translation, transparent to users. “Fast (enough),” the slide jokes, that most users won’t know.

Timbuktu

Apple still makes too much money from hardware to take that risk, but it al makes sense now, I think the Intel rumors did start a few years ago. I'm using a G5, but I don't feel that bad about it. The G5 is good for its time, but this just means that the next computer I get will no longer be PPC, still not sure how that affects me.

dkeane

10:46am PDT - Demo: MS Word PowerPC binary on Intel. Excel spreadsheet. They’re no notably slower than usual. Photoshop still takes forever to load, but all the plugins work. Photoshop Filters seem fast enough.

10:49am PDT - Select and premier ADC member software developers will be getting a build kit.

10:50am PDT - Roz Ho, General Manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit, is onstage to talk about what MS is doing for the Intel platform.

This is too fun.

Timbuktu said:
The G5 is good for its time, but this just means that the next computer I get will no longer be PPC, still not sure how that affects me.

You'll still be paying through the nose for their hardware so it's the same as it's always been. :lol

ckohler

The majority of Apple's income is from hardware sales. Period. Hell, OSX doesn't even use registration codes when you install it. I seriously doubt we're talking OSX for PC here folks.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
It's not that complicated. You will not be putting OS X on a PC! It will run only on Apple hardware. The only difference is it will have an Intel processor and not an IBM.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Willco said:
So can we confirm or deny Mac OSX on PC platform?

Willco, that just isn't going to happen. Apple has been a hardware company for longer than Microsoft has been in existence. Even 3 or 4% of the PC marketshare still represents millions of consumers. They make more money than pretty much every other computer manufacturer out there, and they are NOT hurting.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
God's Hand said:
Boring. OSX still tethered to an Apple box. This "news" has no effect on anyone except developers.

Well, it's good news because it means the G5 dead end is going to be overcome. PCs and Macs will be back on an even performance level.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
oh yea, I forgot. Sirius and Apple had talks last week about getting Sirius Radio on a iPod. It can be done, but the hold up was how much would Apple get out the $12.99 monthly fee. I think they just went with podcast certain Sirius shows for now.

Top Bottom