• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official WWDC 2005 Apple Keynote thread - it's on!

dkeane

God's Hand said:
Boring. OSX still tethered to an Apple box. This "news" has no effect on anyone except developers.
What do you expect it's the "Worldwide Developer Conference 2005"

10:51am PDT - Unfortunately her speech seems to have been written by a junior flack at Waggener Edstrom or Edelman. Waiting for her to get to a noun… Here we go: Universal binary versions of Office coming, as we just saw.
10:53am PDT - Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe, comes on, jokes that his mom thinks he works for Apple.

fse

SteveMeister said:
Well, it's good news because it means the G5 dead end is going to be overcome. PCs and Macs will be back on an even performance level.

Hehe, faster macs oh my :D

ckohler said:
The majority of Apple's income is from hardware sales. Period. Hell, OSX doesn't even use registration codes when you install it. I seriously doubt we're talking OSX for PC here folks.
Not officially, probably not. But that would certainly make things like running OSX in a windows "emulator" to work much better if it was compiled for x86 chips.

SteveMeister said:
Well, it's good news because it means the G5 dead end is going to be overcome. PCs and Macs will be back on an even performance level.

:lol :lol How quickly you Mac guys change your tune. Only a few months ago, it was all about how G5 0wNZZ0RZ PCs, and how G5 laptops are gonna rule! :lol :lol

SoVos20

Banned
A drop in the bucket for IBM, the deal with Sony, M$, and Nintendo more than make up for the lost of Apple.

If there actually is any brainpower at work at Apple, I can see them starting off with keeping OSX on their platform till everyone gets caught up with converting their software. Maybe down the road they will release OSX on PC.

fse

G5 intel powered laptops are gonna rule, yes. I hope it's not built on the x86 platform. Rather something new.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Shogmaster said:
:lol :lol How quickly you Mac guys change your tune. Only a few months ago, it was all about how G5 0wNZZ0RZ PCs, and how G5 laptops are gonna rule! :lol :lol

Not really -- Jobs promised 3GHz G5s by LAST summer, and that didn't happen. And it has become increasingly clear that the G5 won't be showing up in any laptop any time soon.

This isn't a sudden shift in perception -- it's been building for a long time. And the laptop issue has been a HUGE problem.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Shogmaster said:

Don't lump all of us together. I have never bragged ever about the performance of the G5, or any other chip. I like the OS and the hardware.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
okay. so OSX will still only work on apple hardware. but does this mean that you will be able to install windows on the new intel macs.. for dual booting?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
quadriplegicjon said:
okay. so OSX will still only work on apple hardware. but does this mean that you will be able to install windows on the new intel macs.. for dual booting?

I doubt it, but on the other hand, VirtualPC should run REAL well :)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
quadriplegicjon said:

My guess is no. Why would Apple want people to run Windows on their hardware? So they can by the Windows version of Office?

ckohler

quadriplegicjon said:
In the very least, Virtual PC is gonna be a whoooole lot faster. :lol

10:53am PDT - Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe, comes on, jokes that his mom thinks he works for Apple. “The only question I have, Steve, is what took you so long?”

I just wish I've archived all the old Photoshop benchmark comparasins against Intel procs at Apple's site. :lol :lol :lol

shantyman said:
What the hell are you talking about?

Don't mind him. He's on crack.

Particle Physicist

shantyman said:
My guess is no. Why would Apple want people to run Windows on their hardware? So they can by the Windows version of Office?

if the architecture is the same. how would they be able to stop it?

ckohler

10:56am PDT - Paul Otellini, President & CEO of Intel, is on. “I suspect there’s a whole bunch of you who never thought you’d see that [Intel] logo on this stage. I was one of them.”

10:58am PDT - Otellini is telling a timeline story that goes back to founding of Intel in 1968, founding of Apple in 1976. Photo of Jobs and Robert Noyce together. As Markoff said to me this morning, people love to see photos of execs with long hair. Otellini says he asked Jobs, “Is that the last time you wore a tie?” Steve’s answer: “No, it’s the last time I wore a moustache.” 1996: “They set fire to our bunny person!”

10:59am PDT - Runs old TV ad: “Apple Computer would like to apologize for toasting the Pentium in public.” Otellini: “Now, we didn’t have a grudge about that…”

11:00am PDT - Here’s the talking point you’ll be hearing over and over: Intel chips run cooler than the PowerPC. More boilerplate about combining our strengths, two legendary companies, relentless advancement (advancement?) of Moore’s Law, etc….

11:01am PDT - More boilerplate: It’s not the end of the story, it’s just the beginning! He was funny about the bunny, though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
No new hardware announced unfortunately. Next OS X release is called Leopard. Haters, on my mark- flame

I would assume there will be hardwares stops to prevent installation of Windows on the Apple P4s. Hackers will certainly get around that, but why would you install Windows on that? It defeats the purpose of Apple's closed hardware/software paradigm, and the hardware won't be any better than any other PC for Windows.

dkeane

11:04am PDT - Steve is back on now, restating the theme of this as Apple’s 3rd big transition. “It’s not gonna happen overnight. We’re making AWESOME machines right now” (Frequent comment in the press line: Will anyone buy one in the next year?) “When we meet again here next year, we will have products with Intel processors entering the market.” Next year he’ll show Leopard. One non-boilerplate truth: “The soul of a Mac is its operating system.” Plus the slick industrial design, of course.

11:05am PDT - That’s it, show’s over!

FiRez

I can see some paralelism between the mac fans at this moment and the nintendo fans at the e3 conference...so much fun :lol

Here's the thing I can't wait to do.

1.) Actually buy the software for the OS I run. :lol
2.) Dual Boot between OSX and Longhorn (by that time)
3.) Develop and photoshop in OSX , games in Longhorn.

Windows finally is going to see if it can beat Apple in a fair market.

shantyman said:
Don't lump all of us together. I have never bragged ever about the performance of the G5, or any other chip. I like the OS and the hardware.

Ditto. I know I paid a premium for the cpu power my laptop has. It was worth it to never have to deal with the registry again!

thorns

Banned
apple using intel , microsoft using powerpc?
kinda ironic I guess..
:lol

oh yeah, and if you're dreaming this is going to affect ms in any way, you're wrong.. win32 and osx are two different worlds.

ckohler

The question remains... what will be the magic key that will keep Intel OSX only booting on an Intel Mac? DRM? Perhaps Intel will build Apple custom mobos and chipsets that Intel OSX can only run on. Yet, even if hackers figure out how to get "Leopard" running on a PC clone, they'll likely run into device driver problems.

AB 101

Banned
Translation: "We've been lying to you about how PowerMacs are faster than Intel PCs for the last 5 years

Your trolling used to be just be ANNOYING.

Apple is now going down the path with the rest of the sheep.

Will OS X run on Non Apple Intel?

Me hopes the Windroids still can't use OS X.

AB 101 said:
Your trolling used to be just be ANNOYING.

Now it really jabs, don't it? :lol

Apple is now going down the path with the rest of the sheep.

Will OS X run on Non Apple Intel?

Me hopes the Windroids still can't use OS X.

Dude, sit and take deep breaths. It'll all be O-Tay!

VictimOfGrief said:
Here's the thing I can't wait to do.

1.) Actually buy the software for the OS I run. :lol
2.) Dual Boot between OSX and Longhorn (by that time)
3.) Develop and photoshop in OSX , games in Longhorn.

Windows finally is going to see if it can beat Apple in a fair market.

Dude, bring your ADD under control, smell the fresh brewed coffee, and read what was actually said. OSX is only for Apple built Intel boxes. Apple's still pussin' out and making proprietary boxes only. They can't give up the edge in stability that tightly controlled hardware profiles gives you.

ckohler

From CNET.COM:

"After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that.'"

"However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. 'We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac.'"

golem

:lol slashdot is nearly slashdotted

wouldnt be surprised to see osx intel cracked to open it up to most x86 users...

also, sucks for amd.. they can never get a design win :(

wow if u can dual boot windows and osx on an APPLE computer, it would be a nice reason to buy one

impirius

ckohler said:
"However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. 'We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac.'"
yuo misunderestimate the 1337ness of our h4x0rs

Particle Physicist

ckohler said:
'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that.'"

not bad. my hopes of a dual booting osx and longhorn machine is still alive.

AB 101

Banned
Well, at least the Mac OS X wanabees still can't run OS X unless they buy Apple hardware.

Hey Shog, when's Longhorn coming out again? :lol

Just that makes it a good day. :)

fse

AB 101 said:
Well, at least the Mac OS X wanabees still can't run OS X unless they buy Apple hardware.

Hey Shog, when's Longhorn coming out again? :lol

Just that makes it a good day. :)

Aslong as OS X is mac hardware only, its ok. MacMini will use intel in a year I guess, and it will still be cheap.

impirius

AB 101 said:
Spiteful much?

Why would you be unhappy if more people could run OSX? Would it endanger your persecution complex?

Top Bottom