• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official WWDC 2005 Apple Keynote thread - it's on!

FiRez

I've always intrigued because the HW differences on the Macs but now it seems less interesting and/or special

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not disappointed at the move away from PPC. Certainly IBM hasn't been up to par in scaling it up, but x86? Come on, anything but that crufty, misfigured graft monster of an archetecture. Intel PPCv2 or something would have far more impressive...

...ah well, as long as the cpus they end up using have NX bit support, having asm compatability won't be bad. Guess ZSNES devs will have to recant on saying a mac port will never happen. ;)

xsarien

daedsiluap
ckohler said:
The question remains... what will be the magic key that will keep Intel OSX only booting on an Intel Mac? DRM? Perhaps Intel will build Apple custom mobos and chipsets that Intel OSX can only run on. Yet, even if hackers figure out how to get "Leopard" running on a PC clone, they'll likely run into device driver problems.

The only thing changing is the CPU, nothing more, nothing less. OS X is still going to look for Apple-designed hardware and firmware in the system. It's not like Apple's going to suddenly start using the same 3rd party motherboards as the PC makers.

AB 101 said:
Well, at least the Mac OS X wanabees still can't run OS X unless they buy Apple hardware.

Hey Shog, when's Longhorn coming out again? :lol

Just that makes it a good day. :)

LOL, I don't give a shit about longhorn since Win64 is out.

As soon as Adobe and Corel recompile Photoshop and Painter for Win64, I'm getting that and A64 mobo and CPU with 4 sticks of 1GB PC3200 (or maybe even 2GB sticks!). :D

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
From CNET.COM:

"After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that.'"

"However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. 'We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac.'"

That's exactly what I said! I could do the job Phil Mulletman Schiller does for half the salary!

Also, any overly sensitive Mac fans (I can be one sometimes too!) should not be bothered by Shogmaster. He is the only Mac basher on this forum who makes rational arguments based on a single principle- best bang for the buck. Although I must admit I do not know where he gets the energy to post in Mac threads all the time but ignores the VF3 appreciation thread!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
If some ingenious individuals can get a Windows XP dual-boot running half-decently on an Intel-based Apple that doesn't cost my right-nut (the favorite of the two), I'll be all over that thing.

shantyman said:
That's exactly what I said! I could do the job Phil Mulletman Schiller does for half the salary!

Also, any overly sensitive Mac fans (I can be one sometimes too!) should not be bothered by Shogmaster. He is the only Mac basher on this forum who makes rational arguments based on a single principle- best bang for the buck. Although I must admit I do not know where he gets the energy to post in Mac threads all the time but ignores the VF3 appreciation thread!

I'm just bitter that I spent well over $10,000 canadian playing VF3TB after work every single day (and weekends too) for hours on end when I was working in Vancouver for 18 months.

I should have never spent that one afternoon, calculating that figure....

Now I must make up for all that money by thriftly spending money on computing!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Shogmaster said:
I'm just bitter that I spent well over $10,000 canadian playing VF3TB after work every single day (and weekends too) for hours on end when I was working in Vancouver for 18 months.

I should have never spent that one afternoon, calculating that figure....

Now I must make up for all that money by thriftly spending money on computing!

See, it all makes sense!!!

Shogmaster said:
In 2006, It'll feature Celeron M! *I just made this up but proably will end up being true*

Jesus this is pissing me off. I wish apple would just update the fucking line so I could go out and buy one.

Pimpwerx

Why won't Apple just die already? Intel Apples are neat. Intel Apples with the same, ridiculous close architecture is just plain stupid. OSX will get creamed like every other Windows challenger. Apple isn't making the platform attractive enough IMO. PEACE.

pxleyes

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Why won't Apple just die already? Intel Apples are neat. Intel Apples with the same, ridiculous close architecture is just plain stupid. OSX will get creamed like every other Windows challenger. Apple isn't making the platform attractive enough IMO. PEACE.

you have never used a mac and dont have a clue what you are talking about do you?? :lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Pimpwerx said:

And once again, the only appropriate response is that Apple has been around since before Microsoft existed. They still make gobs of money, and aren't in any danger of going out of business. This move will help them close up the performance gap that has been widening due to IBM's failure to keep pace with the G5 processor. Apple is a hardware company, and they have been since they first introduced the Apple I computer nearly 30 years ago. You can't do "it just works" if any Joe Schmoe can piece together a Mac from the cheapest components he can find.

xsarien

daedsiluap
e pluribus scrotum said:
cant wait for them 3rd party taiwanese mobos from via et al that letcha dualboot osx and Windows

you know its gonna happen

Not if Apple has anything to say about it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
e pluribus scrotum said:
cant wait for them 3rd party taiwanese mobos from via et al that letcha dualboot osx and Windows

you know its gonna happen

I'm sorry, did your cat just walk across the keyboard?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shogmaster said:
Wake me up when Photoshop and Painter runs natively on Linux. ;)
You're the self proclaimed "bang for buck" prophet. Why spend hundreds of dollars when you can make pictures for free.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hitokage said:
You're the self proclaimed "bang for buck" prophet. Why spend hundreds of dollars when you can make pictures for free.

To be absolutely fair, the integration between the CS apps is pretty hard to argue with. :p

Wendo

Vasectomember
Why in the hell is Apple partnering with Intel instead of AMD?
Apple always seems to forget about AMD.

Oh well. At least Windows users will still have the faster processor available to them.

And for that matter:

OSX sucks until they fix that fucking PINWHEEL OF DOOOOM!

White Man

SteveMeister said:
And once again, the only appropriate response is that Apple has been around since before Microsoft existed.

Not that it makes any difference, but Apple == 1976, MS == 1975.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Pimpwerx said:

Why won't stupid trolls just die already? (metaphorically you jackass)

Hitokage said:

Oh I don't know, because I make my living with Painter and Photoshop?

In my business, there's no time toto dick around with drawing/painting apps that are half assed. After all these years, there's still no competition for Painter and Photoshop. Those two apps + a fast and stable workstation + Cintiq LCD Tablet = I'm far more effeicient and proficient than back in my analog days.

PC v Mac for me is about getting a fast workstation for half the money. And I don't have time to dick around admiring OS GUI when there's work to be done. I don't use the OS on my workstation. I use the apps. I just need my OS to be a stable and out of the way platform for Painter and Photoshop. Windows 2000/XP + fast built my self workstation is exactly that right now.

There are rumblings of native Photoshop and Painter for Linux for the past couple of years. My friend who gets to test out Painter Betas tells me that Corel is working on one, so it's just matter of time. When those two are ready for Linux, I'll be using Linux for my workstation, since only apps that run on my workstation are those two.

My fun box will proabably stay Windows forever since there are far too many native games and shareware/freeware available for WIndows.

Shog, you say you don't have time to sit around and admire your OS, but youve said before you rebuild/install frequently. What I like about my Mac is that's all unnecessary, the OS takes up none of my time.

Not saying that your solution ist't the right one (those filter applications add up over time, and any lag at all is killer when you're drawing), just pointing out that for those of us who aren't needing the most power, the Mac represents a serious savings of time and effort.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Shog, you say you don't have time to sit around and admire your OS, but youve said before you rebuild/install frequently. What I like about my Mac is that's all unnecessary, the OS takes up none of my time.

I reinstall every 12 months. Don't you guys buy new OSX and reinstall once a year too? :p I have 2 machines (a workstation and a ghetto fun box), so I reinstall twice a year. How's that too much work? Some people are so damn lazy.....

Not saying that your solution ist't the right one (those filter applications add up over time, and any lag at all is killer when you're drawing), just pointing out that for those of us who aren't needing the most power, the Mac represents a serious savings of time and effort.

Let's not fool ourselves, If I used a Mac for what I did, I'd be reinstalling every 12 months too. Painter and Photoshop works the same on both platforms, and need the same kind of maintenance. My friends that use Macs for same thing I do tells me they do about the same time schedule for maintenance.

If by upgrade you mean put in a DVD and click a couple of times, yes. You talked about doing complete reinstalls. I have little patience for that. I haven't had a Mac long enough to know if I am going to be upgrading often or not.

You also talked about building your own machines to get the cheap factor down to something more significant. That's great for a hobby, but I dont love buiding PCs.

The Mac is simply less labor to upkeep. Yes, you pay for that, but it's value to some people, even if only a minority.

Why do your Mac friends need to reinstall? What gets out of whack with Painter and Photoshop?

Ignatz Mouse said:
If by upgrade you mean put in a DVD and click a couple of times, yes. You talked about doing complete reinstalls. I have little patience for that. I haven't had a Mac long enough to know if I am going to be upgrading often or not.

You also talked about building your own machines to get the cheap factor down to something more significant. That's great for a hobby, but I dont love buiding PCs.

The Mac is simply less labor to upkeep. Yes, you pay for that, but it's value to some people, even if only a minority.

I have the process down to a point where complete reinstall is only couple of hours max. I have all the settings of apps backed up, and always save files/data in a seperate partition, so only thing to do is to zap C and then reinstall Windows, drivers (all ready in the seperate partition), and then the apps. Pretty easy if you plan ahead.

Why do your Mac friends need to reinstall? What gets out of whack with Painter and Photoshop?

Painter tends to bloat up key files as you use more and more. You can go in and delete the files that have bloated individually, but often it's faster to reinstall. I'd imagine it's the same in Macs from what he tells me.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
I reinstall every 12 months. Don't you guys buy new OSX and reinstall once a year too? :p

Apple's scaled back on how often they release OS updates that basically require a reinstallation. It used to be pretty bad; if it wasn't "every year," it was close enough to make "Keeping up with Mac OS" a bullet point on my list of "Switch to Apple: Cons."

But that's no longer the case.

And I think it's just general good housekeeping to reinstall your system once a year anyway. Purge the shit you've built up over the year that you wound up not needing, and give the OS' innards a nice, clean slate.

xsarien said:
And I think it's just general good housekeeping to reinstall your system once a year anyway. Purge the shit you've built up over the year that you wound up not needing, and give the OS' innards a nice, clean slate.

I'm down with that, yo.

Macam

Banned
Shog's been rather civil for the most part, that's what frightens me. I tend to re-install once a year on my machines anyway, although I abhor doing it on Windows considering how long it takes and what a comparable pain it is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
My point is that to many people PC/Mac is the same way. You can't sit back and claim people who buy Macs are wasting money when you insist on paying hundreds of dollars more for imaging programs. Both have something people are willing to pay for and will when it matches their priorities.

Some people just don't want to babysit their computer, although personally I usually don't mind or else I wouldn't have Slackware Linux as my primary OS... but there are times when I understand completely. :p

Hitokage said:
My point is that to many people PC/Mac is the same way. You can't sit back and claim people who buy Macs are wasting money when you insist on paying hundreds of dollars more for imaging programs.

So what should I do, just gank them? ARRRGGGHHH Matey! That sorta thing?
Look, I run a business, and I keep everything legit for those purposes. The $150 or so each I spend on those two programs every 12 months when new versions comes out isn't as mcuh as you make them out to be.

Besides, those two apps are worth the premium over the competition because they are leaps and bounds better than the competition. If you are one of those Linux geeks that mistaken GIMP for something that can compete with Photoshop, you are sadly mistaken. I scoff at such a quaint idea.

If PowerMacs were leaps and bounds faster than PCs, you'll bet your sweet ass I'd be buying Macs even with their premium pricing. But that hasn't been the case for nearly 10 years. That's what bothers me about Macs. You pay premium for what? The OS? If I can paint with OSX, let me know. ;)

Both have something people are willing to pay for and will when it matches their priorities.

Most of those priorities on Mac side I think is merely psychological. Practially, there's not much to argue.

Some people just don't want to babysit their computer, although personally I usually don't mind or else I wouldn't have Slackware Linux as my primary OS... but there are times when I understand completely. :p

Linux to me is also a case of diddling around with the OS instead of using the apps. It's cute, and it's great that geeks can get off twidling around with it, flippin a big FU to M$ and all, but shit, when there's work to be done, you don't dick around with OS. You use the apps.

When Linux gets those apps that are acually useful to me, then we'll talk.

Phoenix

impirius said:
yuo misunderestimate the 1337ness of our h4x0rs

You'll need hardware to get around it. The Intel Macs will have keyed hardware encryption of board/chip. You'll need a mod chip of some sort.

impirius

Phoenix said:
You'll need hardware to get around it. The Intel Macs will have keyed hardware encryption of board/chip. You'll need a mod chip of some sort.
It worked for my Xbox! ;)

But Seriously Folks, although Apple will take some strong measures to lock out reasonably pri... er, unauthorized hardware, this is going to be the mod target of the centure. Someone is bound to figure it out.

I'm just bitter that I spent well over $10,000 canadian playing VF3TB after work every single day....

I'll have to listen for the jingle jangle of your hefty pockets. THEN IT'S POW WITH THE SOCK FULL OF PENNIES!

Jesus shit man.

He's in the Mac price range, he just spends his money on 10k bottles of Mountain Dew instead. :p

So what does this mean to me? Lower prices? What's the fucking news?

Meh.

Top Bottom