• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I never knew the world map was actually like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

WorldSinusoidalBW_A.jpg
Looks like a Silent Hill tit monster.

Enkidu

Cartography, unsurprisingly, is very Euro/West-centric.
The fact that maps are centered around Germany is indeed an effect of Europeans making the maps popular. But some place has to be in center so honestly there's no reason to change that now. The fact that Europe is oversized has nothing to do with euro-centrism though, the Peters projection is useless for navigation which is historically the main purpose of the maps.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I was watching The West Wing on Netflix, when the episode "Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail" comes up. During it, CJ interviews some guys who want the map used in schools changed to the Peters Projection, instead of the Mercator one used today.

I never knew the map I had been looking at all this time was wholly inaccurate when it came to the actual sizes of the continents and countries.

I dont understand the point of this, both maps depictions are trying to display a 3D object as a 2D one, you are going to get skewed results no matter how you do it (thus why there are so many ways to do it)

Neither is a proper represenation of land mass, and the 2nd one is a joke if you think it represents true scale of the continents.

Mumei

No. The Peters is accurate for relative areas of things, in the same way Mercator is accurate for constant bearings. Africa really is that big relative to everything else.

Is it really? Maybe it is just my terrible eyesight, but despite Africa being about 2/3 the size of Asia in reality, it looks like it could be bigger in that map.

Platy

The fact that maps are centered around Germany is indeed an effect of Europeans making the maps popular. But some place has to be in center so honestly there's no reason to change that now. The fact that Europe is oversized has nothing to do with euro-centrism though, the Peters projection is useless for navigation which is historically the main purpose of the maps.

Actualy .... each place has a map that fit its porpuese =P

Most brazilian news has the mercator map centered on brazil ...

but I like more the version one of my uncles has !
A map that is the upside down peters projection centered on brazil.
Why ? Because it is all he wants to know is stuff related to his country =P

edit : what we CAN'T change that easily is the timezones .. that are all based on the mercator europe centric map

Septimius

I dont understand the point of this, both maps depictions are trying to display a 3D object as a 2D one, you are going to get skewed results no matter how you do it (thus why there are so many ways to do it)

Neither is a proper represenation of land mass, and the 2nd one is a joke if you think it represents true scale of the continents.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I also came to post the xkcd-comic, and yeah, I'm with him on the Gall-Peters.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You know there is no "right side up" for our planet or solar system. I think we ought to flip it for kicks.

Yeah, who says the direction "North" is really "North." Imagine that we decided the magnetic North is called South. Sun rises in the west, sets in the east. I'm sure there'd be a way to switch the idea of seasons around.

Which brings up an idiotic thing I've thought about before. For the Southern Hemisphere crowd: Is February considered a summer month? It's stupid, but I get weirded out that June/July/August could be considered cold months :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's one of my favorite WW episodes.

"But wait, where are you gonna put the northern hemisphere if not on the top?"

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is it really? Maybe it is just my terrible eyesight, but despite Africa being about 2/3 the size of Asia in reality, it looks like it could be bigger in that map.

true_size_of_africa.png

It kinda is.. But the map is still skewed to give improper impressions. I really wish people would just be taught with globes :(

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Peters Projection flipped is truly the best map.

Yeah, I came to post this (or specifically, this).

It's weird that people think of North as "up" and South as "down". Hell, even a world map tilted by 90 degrees makes perfect sense.

I want to see THIS map on a wall somewhere.

Mumei

It kinda is.. But the map is still skewed to give improper impressions. I really wish people would just be taught with globes :(

Well, sure. I mean, I know Africa is huge; I just think the projection makes it look bigger than (or at least similar in size to) Asia, and it isn't.

Meh, if you want to compare continent sizes etc., this is pretty much the only way to represent the actual land mass on a 2D plane:

EEgmerC.jpg

In fact when I first saw the map with the US in the middle, it was explained to me that it never caught on due to the expense of replacing existing maps, and everyone realized it didn't make any difference anyway because the US still comes first and remains the focus on the standard map.

How do you figure? The only thing that is good for is displaying relative sizes to one another and thats about it.

Actual/relative continent size is what the OP and many posts here are discussing though.

edit: added "actual"

edit2: mh, another circle for the total ocean (water) surface would be nice.

Actual/relative continent size is what the OP and many posts here are discussing though.

edit: added "actual"

Maybe, but you said that map was "pretty much the only way to represent the land mass on a 2D plane" which just isn't true.

Actually, we can't even call that image a map at all. Just a super simplified way of comparing sizes. It is a decent way to see how they relate to one another if that is the only thing you're looking at things I guess.

Chichikov

I never knew the map I had been looking at all this time was wholly inaccurate when it came to the actual sizes of the continents and countries.
All maps are inaccurate, you can't map an ellipsoid to a plane without creating distortions, the question is mostly about what you want to preserve (distance vs. shape is the most common trade-off people talk about).

The Peters projection is generally considered useless by cartographers; yet another thing The West Wing got wrong.

p.s.
Have you heard of geodetic datum?
Enjoy your wikihole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom