• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I never knew the world map was actually like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_luo4p7lzML1ql1abpo1_500.jpg

Sexiest map.

Best map

Are educational maps in North-America really like this?

I'm over 40, and have a nephew who was completely obsessed with maps as a kid (so obsessed in fact that he is now an undergrad University student majoring in Geography,) and this is the first time I've seen a map split that way. If it's one of the more conventional projections, it's always split in the Pacific Ocean.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I just want a map where the world is unrolled without the poles at the top of bottom. Give me one with the north and south poles on the right and left sides, but still with the same width of a normal map, not tall like that timezone one. Give me one where the poles aren't on the boundaries at all! Give me some CRAZY SHIT.

So on a mercator map, a Kilometer in africa is longer than a Kilometer in Europe?
I never thought about it, but it makes perfect Sense if you Look at a globe.
I kinda want a Globe now, any recommendations?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mercator remains popular because it is actually very good for navigation purposes. Aviation also uses the Lambert conic projection. Right angles are great for navigation purposes.

Seanspeed

Banned
it always baffled me that the USA was bigger than Canada in american printed text books.

On the contrary, its usually much smaller than Canada, although it shouldn't be that much smaller. Mercator stretches out the stuff at the poles more, making Canada look ridiculously big. For instance, look at Greenland on a Mercator map. It looks enormous. But its really only slightly larger than Mexico in reality.

RedSwirl

The bottom map seems to take the curvature of the Earth into its design, which just makes some shit harder to see.

I don't see a problem with the Mercator map.

That'as the only difference I see as well. I really don't get the difference in perception here.

Metroxed

You have to realize something's wrong with Mercator when you see Greenland is almost the size of Africa.

There is not a map that can show the entire world without any sort of distortion. Just the globes, of course, that's why they are so cool. Mercator always shows Greenland, Canada, Russia and Alaska much much bigger than they really are.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
No. The Peters is accurate for relative areas of things, in the same way Mercator is accurate for constant bearings. Africa really is that big relative to everything else.

I'll take your word for it I guess, but Canada and Russia seem way too small.

RedSwirl

You have to realize something's wrong with Mercator when you see Greenland is almost the size of Africa.

There is not a map that can show the entire world without any sort of distortion. Just the globes, of course, that's why they are so cool. Mercator always shows Greenland, Canada, Russia and Alaska much much bigger than they really are.

Basically this. I mean, throughout American school we weren't taught this directly, but I could eventually figure it out. I wasn't taught with just one map but with several, including globes (possibly because being in a military family moved me to many different schools).

As soon as American kids get taught Columbus they get taught the concept of a round world and how that differs from what's displayed on a flap map.

DJ88

This scares me for some reason.

Imagine the highways on this:
vladstudio_worldinversed_1024x768_signed.jpg

And this, this is perfect. I've always looked at maps and imagined what it'd look like if land was water and water was land. This just makes it way easier and looks 10 times cooler. Your mind still tries to see the oceans as continents, but when it really does finally click, you see a completely different earth and it's amazing.

First they came for God, and I was silent because I did not believe in god. Then they came for Pluto, which made me sad but I could survive. Now however they've come for my world and I cannot love in a different world than the one I've known for all my life! Resist comrades, resist!

God damn science shattering world views since whenever it was. Fuck science!

BraXzy

This is blowing my mind.

Pretty much this, it looks so cool, yet it's no different really.

I think my mind is blown more by the fact that pretty accurate maps were made when cartographers had nothing but boats to go on. I do not for the life of me understand how they put world maps together? Can someone explain?

Wasn't Mercator projection racist in origin? It was created to make Africa smaller in size than it really is in comparison to North America. At least that's what I learned in my undergrad class.

I never knew the map I had been looking at all this time was wholly inaccurate when it came to the actual sizes of the continents and countries.

We covered all the different map types and their inaccuracies very early on in school here. It's just one of those things I've always known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom