• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Benedict 'resigns'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Why not? Is it hard to believe a black Pope wouldn't inspire any African Americans to convert to Catholicism? Christians move sects. all the time. I went from Baptist to non-denominational for example

A black pope would have about as much impact as Herman Cain has had on the Republican ranks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cardinal Marc Ouellet most likely to win the nomination.

A Quebecer pope, lol. The guy is very conservative, but has always had this "docile" look to himself. He would be a popular choice among Catholics. I'm certain he will be chosen.

antonz

Weak as.......if the last one was 600 years ago he should have pushed it to the end. Disappointed!

In NO WAY AM I TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE. You have to laugh that this man, the most spiritual (bar the Dali Lama) resigns from God.

http://cheezburger.com/6426650880

Takes humility and humbleness to realize that its come to a point where physically you are no longer able to do the job you are tasked with. The Job of Pope has changed a lot from the days of just sitting around Rome writing papers. World Youth Day this year is in Brazil and seeing as how Benedict is prohibited from world travel due to his condition he doesn't want to pull a The Rock and appear Via Satellite.

TruskyMX

Takes humility to realize that its come to a point where physically you are no longer able to do the job you are tasked with. The Job of Pope has changed a lot from the days of just sitting around Rome writing papers. World Youth Day this year is in Brazil and seeing as how Benedict is prohibited from world travel due to his condition he doesn't want to pull a The Rock and appear Via Satellite.

Oh I commend him for the job he has done. I cant help but see the comedy in it. I guess its just one of those things that hasn't ever happened in our lifetime.

JesseZao

Takes humility and humbleness to realize that its come to a point where physically you are no longer able to do the job you are tasked with. The Job of Pope has changed a lot from the days of just sitting around Rome writing papers. World Youth Day this year is in Brazil and seeing as how Benedict is prohibited from world travel due to his condition he doesn't want to pull a The Rock and appear Via Satellite.

One day the Institution of Religion will crumble. Someday...

SoulPlaya

more money than God
One day the Institution of Religion will crumble. Someday...
It probably never will, though. I know people here are asking it, but the number of Catholics are increasing, not decreasing. The Catholic Church is making great inroads in Asia and Africa.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
He's just making you think he's resigning, then he's going to unload on you. It's the old pope-a-dope.

What do you guys think about that joke? I just wrote it, I might put it in my act.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
saint-gaben.jpeg

Gaben for Pope

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished reading The Name of the Rose, which is hilariously coloring how I'm reading this thread.

DanteFox

He's just making you think he's resigning, then he's going to unload on you. It's the old pope-a-dope.

What do you guys think about that joke? I just wrote it, I might put it in my act.
Ahahaha

I logged into my account just to say 10/10.

Best post of the day imo.

Monocle

That is seriously the most evil looking statue I have ever seen. Looks like something for a Death metal band cover.
Oh it's even better up close, it tilts forward so the Jesus figure is actually floating above the Pope. Anyone can blame the Catholic church for a lot but these folks know their art, this sculpture is located in the Papal Audience Hall used when he wants to declare crazy things or let some devotees kiss his ring. I'm convinced they told the artist they wanted something that expresses "kneel insects and tremble in fear for I decide who goes to hell".

yI3j8W0.jpg
No kidding, that sculpture is spectacular. Not to mention overbearing and sinister.
I totally want one.

Ikael

Mother of God. That sculpture is fucking beautiful... never seen it before...

I have said it before, but Religious art, even modern religious art, is truthly something else, entirely. Goddamn @ that sculpture

You don't think there would be an uproar from the religious nuts?

Problem with the Catholic church has always been gender issues, not racial ones. American religious conservatism =/= European religious conservatism. Most devout catholics that I know wouldn't bat an eye towards a black as coal Pope. A pro-gay Pope, however...

Because maybe the Bible isn't the final word on everything? Because maybe we don't all assume that morality has to fixed forever in the writings of the ancients? Because maybe a religion that recognises that things change is better than one that doesn't?

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

But that doesn't fit into my image of Catholics as intolerant braindead idiots and I want to hate them openly. Stop saying reasonable things, you heathen.

hym

Banned
BerlusPopi.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hah you made me check when Season 3 of The Borgias starts, April 14th, 2013.
Then again, Borgias wasn't that bad, he didn't fuck underage prostitutes for one, unlike Italy's finest.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AUqMTcg.jpg

Big-E

Hah you made me check when Season 3 of The Borgias starts, April 14th, 2013.
Then again, Borgias wasn't that bad, he didn't fuck underage prostitutes for one, unlike Italy's finest.

AUqMTcg.jpg

Man to be a Cardinal in that time would have been fucking awesome. Wish I had a crazy uncle who was Pope and he made me a Cardinal. A little funny that you can have a Pope publicly fucking people as well as having children 400 years ago but that wouldn't fly now.

Man to be a Cardinal in that time would have been fucking awesome. Wish I had a crazy uncle who was Pope and he made me a Cardinal. A little funny that you can have a Pope publicly fucking people as well as having children 400 years ago but that wouldn't fly now.

Damn. Now a days a priest even has to be celibate. They tightened up their restrictions over the past few centuries

Amir0x

Banned
I have said it before, but Religious art, even modern religious art, is truthly something else, entirely. Goddamn @ that sculpture

yeah it's one of the few good things to come from religion

i'm just surprised I've never seen that sculpture before, ESPECIALLY because it's so friggin' huge I would have thought I'd have seen it at some point in my browsing.

But that's just... ominous, foreboding, completely sucks the energy of the room (and I mean that in a good way). It's just hard to look away.

WickedlNl

Banned
Comon guys, that sculpture is so complex. You do know that the artist must of squeezed in a penis or something in his creation which wont get noticed that easily, just like every other great painter/sculptor.

Chuckie

yeah it's one of the few good things to come from religion

i'm just surprised I've never seen that sculpture before, ESPECIALLY because it's so friggin' huge I would have thought I'd have seen it at some point in my browsing.

But that's just... ominous, foreboding, completely sucks the energy of the room (and I mean that in a good way). It's just hard to look away.

Yeah this is the first time I ever seen it...and I've been to Vatican City. Appearantly we skipped that building, and I must say I wish we didn't. If I would have known that was inside I would have gone into that audience building (if it is open for visitors...don't know if it is)

Gambit

Yeah this is the first time I ever seen it...and I've been to Vatican City. Appearantly we skipped that building, and I must say I wish we didn't. If I would have known that was inside I would have gone into that audience building (if it is open for visitors...don't know if it is)

don't think it is. It's the Paul VI's hall, used for audiences. It really is impressive.

In real life, it looks a lot more golden, I think. Gotta try to find my pics. (They were taken with a shitty camera, though)

There's a one. As I said, shitty camera.

BowieZ

Banned
Some cool/wacky possible Pope names:

Hilarius II
Innocent XIV
Urban IX
Simplicius II
Sixtus VI
Boniface X
Lando II
Liberius II
Zephyrinus II
Eleuterus II
Hyginus II
Telesphorus II
Stephen X

Likey, however, are:

Gregory XVII
Clement XV
Leo XIV
Pius XIII
Alexander IX
Julius IV
John Paul III
Peter II
Benedict XVII

Possible alternatives:

Agapetus III
Anicetus II
Anacletus II
Agatho II
Adeodatus III
Anterus II
Adrian VII
Anastasius V
Caius II
Callixtus IV
Celestine VI
Conon II
Constantine II
Cornelius II
Damasus III
Dionysius II
Donus II
Eugene V
Eusebius II
Eutychian II
Evaristus II
Fabian II
Felix V
Formosus II
Gelasius III
Honorius V
Hormisdas II
Linus II
Lucius IV
Marcellinus II
Marcellus III
Marinus III
Martin VI
Miltiades II
Nicholas VI
Paschal III
Pelagius III
Pontian II
Romanus II
Sabinian II
Sergius V
Severinus II
Silverius II
Siricius II
Sisinnius II
Soter II
Sylvester IV
Symmachus II
Theodore III
Valentine II
Victor IV
Vigilius II
Vitalian II
Zachary II
Zosimus II

Chuckie

Is there a reason in English the pope sometimes has a Latin name but something an English name? Like why is it Boniface and Benedict instead of Bonifatius and Benedictus?

If one is handy you use the English version?

Goldrusher

Is there a reason in English the pope sometimes has a Latin name but something an English name?
He always has a Latin name. It's up to other languages/countries to translate it, if they want to.

official: Benedictus

English: Benedict
Spanish: Benedicto
German: Benedikt
French: Benoît
Portuguese: Bento
etc.

BowieZ

Banned
You forgot John XXIV and Paul VII.
woops - and lol at quoting the whole post :p

Meanwhile, my money's on John Paul III. It's a winning combination, and also may be seen as slightly disrespectful to the outgoing Benedict XVI, which is probably another positive.

I wonder if the new Pope will have the guts to go with his own name or one of the Gospels (Pope Matthew I, Pope Mark I, Pope Luke I) or Apostles (Pope Andrew I, Pope James I, Pope Philip I, Pope Bartholomew I, Pope Thomas I, Pope Thaddaeus I, Pope Simon I).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom