• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Young Pope - Jude Law as an American Pope - Airing 2x a week Sunday/Monday on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

From Paolo Sorrentino, director of the Oscar winning 'The Great Beauty,' comes 'The Young Pope' - a 10 hour limited series starring Jude Law as the first American Pope. The series will premiere on Sunday, January 15 at 9/8c. The second episode will air on Monday, January 16 at 9/8c. This release pattern will remain for the rest of the season.

The series is a co-production between HBO, Sky Atlantic, and Canal+. It has been renewed for a second season.

'The Young Pope' tells the controversial story of the beginning of Pius XIII's pontificate. Born Lenny Belardo, he is a complex and conflicted character, so conservative in his choices as to border on obscurantism, yet full of compassion towards the weak and poor. The first American pope, Pius XIII is a man of great power who is stubbornly resistant to the Vatican courtiers, unconcerned with the implications to his authority.

Shrewd and naïve, ironical and pedantic, primeval and cutting-edge, doubting and resolute, melancholy and ruthless, Pius XIII tries to cross the endless river of human solitude to find a God he can give to mankind. And to himself.

Sorrentino says the series is about "the clear signs of God's existence. The clear signs of God's absence. How faith can be searched for and lost. The greatness of holiness, so great as to be unbearable when you are fighting temptations and when all you can do is to yield to them. The inner struggle between the huge responsibility of the Head of the Catholic Church and the miseries of the simple man that fate (or the Holy Spirit) chose as Pontiff. Finally, how to handle and manipulate power in a state whose dogma and moral imperative is the renunciation of power and selfless love towards one's neighbor.

Cast

Videos

Official Trailer
Behind the Scenes
Invitation to the Set

EzerRzm.jpg

Professional Reviews

Time said:
The Young Pope is as compellingly watchable as anything else you'll find on TV. Sorrentino intuitively understands that which makes Catholicism--with its crosscurrents of guilt and exuberant hope as well as the opulent pageantry of the Vatican--fascinating grist for storytelling. And he's unafraid to go what seems at first too far in service of a story that finds the universal in one warped leader's specificities.

Variety said:
Paolo Sorrentino's signature masterful compositions and mordant wit are of course on show, but where the director runs with his flights of imagination remains an endless source of delightful surprise.

Collider said:
The Young Pope is TV's equivalent of a dorm-room poster of Bob Marley blowing smoke or the Lenny Bruce mugshot: a depleted symbol of a radical reaction to society that finally most clearly represents the status quo.

GAF Reviews

Amir0x said:
This is hands down my favorite TV show of the year. Remarkable, confounding, beautiful television.

I expected this to be yet another typical rumination on the hypocrisy of the papal state, and the head hypocrite who leads it. But the actual show is so much more mystifying, so much harder to pin down in both its intent and interpretation of its characters.

Jude Law is astonishing as Pope Pius. There are so many gorgeous moments in terms of cinematography, but the script can be just as mesmerizing at times. There are episodes where I had my jaw on the ground from the profound nature of the situation, or the sheer tragedy of it. But it always defied my expectations.

God I can't wait for Season 2. Almost reinvigorated my love for TV again, this and Rectify are just...wow.

Ragnarsson said:
Ten hours of riveting television. It's one of the most interesting, well-crafted and thought-provoking shows I've seen in years. Every storyline mattered, every moment felt important, every character had a compelling arc.

berzeli said:
The first TV effort by Paolo Sorrentino and what an effort that is. Not only is Jude Law putting on the performance of his lifetime, Diane Keaton makes sure to steal some scenes, and that is in addition to the direction and cinematography which is, unsurprisingly, stellar. Oh, and that opening scene is probably the best opening of the year.

PoeticProse22 said:
This was a delightful and exceptionally well-executed show, excelling in nearly every area, from Paolo Sorrentino's superbly idiosyncratic direction to Jude Law's brilliant performance to the effortlessly clever writing. The cinematography is often breathtaking, which is benefited by the impeccable set design. The characters are richly compelling, as each of them is, at times, bewildering, complex, and riveting.

lF6QRFF.jpg

NYR

Sunday/Monday airings? Are they sending this to die and burning the episodes? Not like HBO to do that. Maybe because this already aired in Europe?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thanks for making another informative OT, Ratsky. I'm in, I gotta make use of my HBO Now subscription somehow.

I know this is going to be a quality program, but the Young Pope jokes on Twitter have been killing me for the past week. Nobody is actually making fun of the show itself, just the silly sounding name and premise.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The only reason I know this exists is because every mediocre comedian on twitter keeps trying to force this as a meme.

CDX

I can't tell if those reviews are a joke. How has anyone on here seen it already?

It seems it's one of the rare shows that wasn't shown in the U.S. first. It aired back in October/November in other countries around the world.

- Variety review
Radical unpredictability is terrifying when it’s the hallmark of a real world leader who possesses nuclear launch codes, but it’s mesmerizing in the hands of Sorrentino, Law, and the rest of this show’s stellar cast. If nothing else, “The Young Pope” is a refreshing reminder that playfulness and profundity need not be mutually exclusive; this spectacular-looking drama has an affinity for surreal yet effective juxtapositions, and the directors’ approach to composition is both poetic and painterly. Its narrative is not especially concerned with linearity and structural tidiness, but no matter. The spontaneity rumbling through “The Young Pope” illuminates the unruly possibilities of human and spiritual connection, and its sly, deadpan wit is often a delight.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight!

Episode 1

In the premiere of a ten-part miniseries following the reign of Pope Pius XIII, aka Lenny Belardo, the first American pontiff, Vatican protocol and, it seems, the Catholic Church, mean little to Belardo, who hires the nun who raised him at an orphanage to be his main adviser and whose iconoclastic behavior irks the cardinals who resent his ascension.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
the disconnect between the absolutely glowing gaf reviews and the ok metacritic score are interesting. i hope it's great.

The GAF reviews are of the entire season, the metacritic reviews are for the first 5 or so episodes (one of the reviews I saw was just for the first two episodes).

I watched the first episode, and I'm not sure I can muster the will to stick it out in case it gets better. I loved the opening sequence, but everything else struck me as clunky, inelegant overreaching. From what I read here and in the reviews, this is at least partly intentional; an attempt to make something genuinely idiosyncratic and unpredictable. But I'm not sure the aesthetics of that unpredictability are far enough up my alley to give it more time.

I loved it. Captures the hidden majesty and magnanimity of the Catholic Church in a really fascinating way. Jude Law is fucking tremendous. Gorgeous set design and direction, and excellent writing too.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Pretentious garbage. I enjoyed Youth and was looking forward to this series. I hated the premiere episode so much that I doubt I'll watch another minute. The ratings for HBO should be abysmal.

ezekial45

Banned
Is HBO marketing this as a limited-series because they aren't sure if the ratings will be good? Because the show is already coming back for S2 in Europe.

EDIT: I also dug the opening episode. I loved that they pulled a fast one during the opening, making him seem more progressive when it fact he's the total opposite. This show is also BEAUTIFULLY shot. The visuals are just gorgeous.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is HBO marketing this as a limited-series because they aren't sure if the ratings will be good? Because the show is already coming back for S2 in Europe.

The 'limited series' label is essentially meaningless - people use it interchangeably with miniseries, although it's generally understood that a miniseries is a one time thing and a limited series is something that has the potential to continue for multiple seasons.

The 'limited' typically refers to the fewer-than-usual number of episodes contained in the season, but in the case of The Young Pope, it has 10 episodes, which is the usual number of episodes for an HBO series, so I think it's just a marketing ploy. Or perhaps it's referring to the 'limited' number of weeks they're airing the show in - 10 episodes in 5 weeks.

EDIT: (it can also be used as a preemptive face saving measure if the series ends up getting cancelled after only 1-2 seasons - "Oh, well, we never actually intended for the show to go beyond this number. After all, it was a 'limited series'".)

Qvoth

already watched the whole series, my brother and i (both christian but not religious at all) like this a lot
the 1st episode is kinda bait & switch though :p
it's pretty offensive imo if you're a very religious catholic/christian

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 2

Lenny meets with Cardinal Spencer in anticipation of his first public appearance, but their reunion doesn't turn out the way he planned. Meanwhile, the Vatican's marketing director is surprised by the new pope's desire to remain anonymous; Sister Mary rehashes the past with an old friend of Lenny's from the orphanage; and the faithful flock to St. Peter's Square for their first glimpse of Pope Pius XIII.

TTG

Well, it's really pretty. The main character stretches credulity unless they've simply not shown his diplomatic side, one he's presumably cast off altogether now that he's been elected.

Vazduh

The first five episodes really grabbed me. Sublime, wonderful, you name it. The rest... Ugh. Was it just me or did
Pope's daddy/mommy issues
become grating and tiring for anyone else, too?

Stopped in the middle of the 8th episode and forgot to finish the season.

Had no interest in this show, saw some tweets of excitement last night on Twitter from people who's opinions I tend to align with, and I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode. I am certainly on board now. As one of the GAF reviews mentioned, I thought it was going to be an on the nose expose of the hypocrisy of the Catholic church and Pope, but it is already so much more than that. Now, to go buy a cherry coke zero that I completely crave after watching.

DemWalls

It's too bad that HBO decided to split the first two episodes. Ever since they presented the show in Venice, they said that they're meant to be watched together.

Damn--is there a Youtube clip of that scene where Diane Keaton is hyping up Pius/Law shortly after she arrived? She has the light from the window/door behind her illuminating her. That was fucking hype.

Still undecided overall, after watching the first episode, but it has my attention/interest.

TTG

Every time he opens his mouth to deliver an important line it falls flat. It's still beautiful, but that's probably it for me.

This feels like satire but I can't tell if it's supposed to be a satirization of HBO dramas, catholicism, the very notion of edginess, or... what? As a straight drama it absolutely falls flat, so I refuse to believe that's what it's going for. Its seeming attempts at profundity only work as satire, because they're like True Detective S2 levels of bad otherwise.

Frost_Ace

This feels like satire but I can't tell if it's supposed to be a satirization of HBO dramas, catholicism, the very notion of edginess, or... what? As a straight drama it absolutely falls flat, so I refuse to believe that's what it's going for. Its seeming attempts at profundity only work as satire, because they're like True Detective S2 levels of bad otherwise.

There's definitely hints of satire. Just keep watching, it's absolutely worth it.

Vazduh

It's not that offensive. However, I wish it was about something more than a petulant manchild who just
wanted his mommy and daddy.
The production values are insane, tho.

number11

This show has been sitting on my planner since it originally aired in the UK. I wasn't in a rush to watch this, but after hearing some impressions.. I might just binge through the whole show tonight.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really don't know how to feel about this. First episode went down smoothly and I was keyed in, but I can't say that I really enjoyed it that much. Costume work is fantastic and it's well shot though. Guess I'll stick with it some more and see how I feel after a few more episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom