• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Young Pope - Jude Law as an American Pope - Airing 2x a week Sunday/Monday on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

Watched both of these last night. I'll probably watch one or two more to see if it grabs my attention, but as of right now I'm not excited to tune-in.

Brakke

Banned
Yo that second ep zagged so hard after the first, I wasn't ready for it. Glad they did this two-a-week thing. Clearly 1&2 should be watched together, with the whole first homily bookend.

Young Pope himself is a little too enigmatic to be actually interesting so far, but I'm super into almost all of the ancillary characters and the aesthetic is dope, so I think I'm in.

Yo that second ep zagged so hard after the first, I wasn't ready for it. Glad they did this two-a-week thing. Clearly 1&2 should be watched together, with the whole first homily bookend.

Young Pope himself is a little too enigmatic to be actually interesting so far, but I'm super into almost all of the ancillary characters and the aesthetic is dope, so I think I'm in.

That's good to know. I enjoyed the first episode, overall, and some scenes had me in awe (I rewatched Diane Keaton's "you have to put your pain away" speech twice the other day, haha), but "enigmatic" is a great word to describe the show *and* Law's Pius after one episode.

Ridiculously stupid show so far, but at least it's entertaining which you can't say for most other dramas HBO airs in the 2010s so I'll watch the full season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 3

Voiello charts a new course in the fallout from the pope's first public homily after it sows confusion, doubt and fear among the clergy, laity and press. Meanwhile, Lenny taps Sister Mary to outline his vision at a press conference; a woman standing alone in St. Peter's Square catches the pontiff's eye; and Gutierrez's private conversations with Lenny may be compromised by a personal shortcoming.

Arkanius

There are certain places of the interwebs with the full 10 episodes.
I thought it was just being released?

Anyway, loved the first two episodes, but episode 3 was.... different and slow.
Love the production values though.

Pious feels like he has an higher purpose for doing all he is doing... but last episode it just feels like a manchild actions.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 4

A burial for a nun's sister at the Vatican is arranged by Lenny; Voiello finds a use for Ester in a blackmail plot; Lenny finally reaches a decision on how to handle a sex-abuse case in New York; the Greenland prime minister visits Rome; a shepherd claims to perform miracles.

neshcom

Banned
Those first two episodes had really bespoke opening credits, so I hope that credit sequence from episode 3 is another one-off. It was cool, but very out-of-place.

This show has been such a surprise and I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode.

_Ryo_

Quick question... Do you think. Nonreligious people can like this show? I'm kind of interested but I know I won't like it if it's too preachy.

For reference I LOVE the leftovers and it has quite a bit religious undertones.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
This show is so outrageous, funny, dark, interesting, and "cool". I like it a lot and really glad it's 2 episodes per week. The mini binge.

Quick question... Do you think. Nonreligious people can like this show? I'm kind of interested but I know I won't like it if it's too preachy.

For reference I LOVE the leftovers and it has quite a bit religious undertones.

Just watch the first 10 minutes to understand this show isn't necessarily exclusively aimed at the religious audience.

Brakke

Banned
I didn't watch 3&4 yet but 1&2 were definitely not "preachy". Well. A dude did preach but the show has a pretty good spread of characters all coming at Catholicism and faith from different angles. I think it'll work for you if you read it as more generic politics and power jockeying.

It's obviously super heavy on religious imagery and iconography, but even that is interesting in a secular context as a lot of it is subverted or scrutinized or sent up. Like a montage of a bunch of nuns playing soccer in their habits is delightful to watch whether or not you think it's cool to take a vow of celibacy. Cardinals smoking cigarettes and dicking around on iPads is worth seeing, too.

_Ryo_

I'll check it out sometime then. It sounds cool but this is gonna sound dumb with all the comic book TV shows coming out, and by kirkman no less I kinda assumed this might be an adaptation of the Battle Pope comic. Lol. Pretty embarrassing.

DOWN

Banned
I'm two episodes in and so impressed. This might sound stupid but there's a certain filmic style lost to me that old movies and lighting provided, that this show seems to be the first to recapture for me. It's that less than perfect HD and colors and makeup, with natural lighting. Lots of period pieces even suffer from their perfect production because they lose that look of film drama legends from the 70s and such. This has that feel to it.

Boogie9IGN

Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's getting much more flack in this thread than in the other thread when it originally aired lol

Anyway, I loved the series and got totally sucked in. Jude Law is amazing

soundpross

Neo Member
This was one of my favorite new TV show of 2016 tho I can see it being a love it or hate it kinda show, but for the people who don't like it so far try a few more EPs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 5

Rumors of a scandal are manufactured by Voiello to undermine the pope. Meanwhile, Lenny and Andrew reminisce about the past; and Lenny's address to the College of Cardinals in the Sistine Chapel won't be put off any longer.

Chumley

Banned
New episode tonight!

3o6ZtioMbSaIrbUmxq.gif

Chumley

Banned
Godlike shot from tonight's ep
i0QFIiZ.jpg

And that speech to the cardinals... I initially wasn't really sure how I felt about it, but I agree with some of the sentiment while hating how vicious it was. People in this day and age are generally full of shit about everything and pretend to be so many things they're not, so his direct address of that state of mind was kind of amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 6

Gutierrez moves out of Vatican City and prepares to begin his mission abroad as a newly minted cardinal. Meanwhile, Lenny's first meeting with Italy's progressive prime minister is a contentious one; Dussolier is shocked by the pope's guidelines for new priests; Voiello fields questions about Tonino's disappearance; and Ester's prayers are answered.

Gin-Shiio

I already watched the show with the girlfriend when it first released in Europe, but I had to come in to say how floored I was watching his address to the cardinals back then. To me that might have been the most powerful moment I have ever seen on screen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 7

A would-be priest's suicide sends Voiello into damage-control mode and searching for new paths to Lenny's downfall. Meanwhile, a potential family reunion proves to be a distraction for Lenny, but presents a moral dilemma for Sister Mary; and Dussolier declares his desire to go back to Honduras in the unsettling aftermath of a social gathering in Rome.

Chris R

Bummed with how short the episode was last night but damn if it didn't pack a bunch in.

Going to be interesting to see how this wraps up. I think it could go a few ways but hope it goes one way over the rest.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ridiculously stupid show so far, but at least it's entertaining which you can't say for most other dramas HBO airs in the 2010s so I'll watch the full season.

I dunno, HBO seems to be stepping things up lately. Game of Thrones is doing good shit and Westworld was hugely entertaining.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Episode 8

Sofia returns to the Vatican and encourages the pope to make Africa his first trip abroad to mark the 30th anniversary of Sister Antonia's "Village of Goodness." Meanwhile, Lenny gets a boost from a visit by a beloved writer, but he and Mary feel the sting of a shared loss.

Grzi

Can't wait for you guys to see the greatness of episode 9. Possibly one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. I've replayed the final scene so many times.

Chumley

Banned
"You don’t know how wonderful peace is. You have no idea of how disconcerting peace can be. But I know, because I saw it when I was 8 years old.”

This episode was when the show started speaking to me on a level I never really anticipated. This is going to sound cheesy as hell, but this might be the first time a film or TV show made me understand what religious people see in the worship of God. I've been an agnostic ever since I stopped believing, after realizing my family isn't what I wanted it to be or what I thought it was, but the times of innocense I had before that have always stuck with me. Like Lenny with that moment in Colorado, I had moments when I thought everything is as it should be with my parents. I remember them holding hands at a movie theater, or the three of us going on a road trip somewhere, but as I got older that all fell apart. His speech tying his faith back to those moments, though... it kind of made sense to me. Aspiring to somehow reach that peace again, even when it truly is disconcerting because of how much more you know as an adult, is as identifiable a vision of "God" as anything. That speech really was beautiful to me and I'm not ashamed to say it made me tear up.

Can't wait for you guys to see the greatness of episode 9. Possibly one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. I've replayed the final scene so many times.

Same.

KeRaSh

The last episode flew by so fast. It's weird though because it's not really a gripping show in the conventional sense and not much happens on screen most of the time but somehow the atmosphere and especially Law's acting are a winning formula.
Not sure where this is going in the end but I'm definitely in until the end.

Also: Devlin - Watchtower, Max Cameron - Beat the Clock and Recondite - Levo are amazing tracks!

Ashhong

Im sorry, what does this mean?

The Young Pope is TV’s equivalent of a dorm-room poster of Bob Marley blowing smoke or the Lenny Bruce mugshot: a depleted symbol of a radical reaction to society that finally most clearly represents the status quo.

CzarTim

I'd like to take a moment to shout out Silvio Orlando who is absolutely fantastic on this show. A perfect 'villain' for Lenny.

Chumley

Banned

The Young Pope is TV’s equivalent of a dorm-room poster of Bob Marley blowing smoke or the Lenny Bruce mugshot: a depleted symbol of a radical reaction to society that finally most clearly represents the status quo.

It's a character study. Just because it doesn't resonate with you doesn't mean it's not about anything.

watchoutwegotabadassoverhere.jpg

Veitsev

Its a pretentious way of saying, "This is lame".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom