• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Young Pope - Jude Law as an American Pope - Airing 2x a week Sunday/Monday on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
I already watched the show with the girlfriend when it first released in Europe, but I had to come in to say how floored I was watching his address to the cardinals back then. To me that might have been the most powerful moment I have ever seen on screen.

Agree. Him encouraging fanaticism, to the point of it being the purest form of devotion and love, left me speechless.

Ive watched the whole season, its a work of art, nothing matches its clever use of symbolism and imagery. Made me a fan of Jude, unbelievable acting.

TACPhilly

Banned
everyone on here has got me super anxious about episode 9!!

So I too was moved by his speech in 8. and the "holy father" role really shined on the airplane afterwards, but right away it was clear he's still very childlike up in that cockpit lol

anyone annoyed even a little that they wouldn't name where in africa he went?? also, the pit stop prayer scene... not sure if he made something happen or it was coincidental.

Timbuktu

anyone annoyed even a little that they wouldn't name where in africa he went?? also, the pit stop prayer scene... not sure if he made something happen or it was coincidental.

I think that was sort of the point, you can read it how you want. The show is pretty good at being quite specific but vague at the same time, very strange but also somewhat grounded with realism.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is tonight!

Episode 9

A threat of blackmail is among the obstacles facing Gutierrez in New York during his investigation of Archbishop Kurtwell. Meanwhile, Lenny and Mary are reminded of an important moment from the past as the pope could lose something in the present.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season finale is tonight!

Episode 10

In the Season 1 finale, Gutierrez returns to Rome a changed man after the Kurtwell investigation, prompting the pope to make a decision about the archbishop's fate. Meanwhile, Father Tomasso gets a promotion; and Lenny makes an unexpected change in travel plans and policy after learning about a possible reconciliation.

Blader

I don't know how this show is so good at what it does. There are so many weird tonal shifts within episodes, let alone from episode to episode, that on paper it sounds like it should be a mess... but in every way it shouldn't work, it does, somehow. Like, last night's episode. Lenny has been nothing but a megalomaniac bastard for so much of the series, yet moments like where he's telling Spencer the story of his miracle, or
crying over Spencer's death
, or simple things like the look of peace on his face when he's walking through the trees afterward, or standing on the beach at the end, are surprisingly and strangely heartening.

I don't get how it works as well it does, but I'm glad it does.

Ferd2

Neo Member
I'm wondering about the timeline of this show. I think that the first few episodes took place within a relatively short amount of time - however - in scene last night where Esther and "little" Pius are on the beach, he looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 years old with a full head of fluffy hair and is running and pushing things around. We also have to account for the ~40 weeks of Esthers pregnancy.

Has Lenny been pope for like five years now? If so, it certainly could be part of his opening up emotionally and "spiritually"(?) to his saintly powers. I definitely think that a large part of his early attitudes were a product of his rejection or avoidance of those powers bestowed on him by God. It's almost like a super-hero/villain, in a way. If you were a "saint," would you really want to be one? They generally have had hard lives throughout history. But Lenny telling his staff "I love you." The crying at Spencer's deathbed. The letters being published. They show us how even though the priest is always a boy, the pope has to be the Papa. He is losing the qualities of a petulant child and becoming emotionally open - but not too open.

Also this episode, (9) along with the speech to the Cardinals have been the two best episodes, imo.

Timbuktu

I kinda want to read the Pope's love letters. You know if New Yorker published something like that in real life, it must fantastic to read. Were John Paul II's ever published?

Skelter

Banned
I thought more people were gonna talk about this show, wonder how good the ratings are...

Man, my girlfriend and I wanted to watch it. Where's the marketing? I didn't even know the show was on air! It's nearly finished, isn't it?

How is the show anyway? Worth watching it?

I don't know how this show is so good at what it does. There are so many weird tonal shifts within episodes, let alone from episode to episode, that on paper it sounds like it should be a mess... but in every way it shouldn't work, it does, somehow. Like, last night's episode. Lenny has been nothing but a megalomaniac bastard for so much of the series, yet moments like where he's telling Spencer the story of his miracle, or
crying over Spencer's death
, or simple things like the look of peace on his face when he's walking through the trees afterward, or standing on the beach at the end, are surprisingly and strangely heartening.

I don't get how it works as well it does, but I'm glad it does.

I completely agree. The show is a confident mess that somehow works. It's so bizarre. Also, I found Lenny's
video chat with Father Tomasso
to be very moving. Jude Law is brilliant in this series.

DOWN

Banned
I think the show is genius and like a classic film. I'm surprised at the lack of buzz but then again it seems geared toward an older audience.

faberpach

The show is just so good i can not recommend it enough to everybody, can not wait for season 2 and one of the nicest things i have streamed this year.

Coffinhal

I think the show is genius and like a classic film. I'm surprised at the lack of buzz but then again it seems geared toward an older audience.

It isn't like a film and it isn't classic by movie or TV standards. Although it's a good introcduction to Sorentino's universe (the italian filmmaker and showrunner here).

DOWN

Banned
It isn't like a film and it isn't classic by movie or TV standards. Although it's a good introcduction to Sorentino's universe (the italian filmmaker and showrunner here).
Ok...

Uh, I personally find it feels very much influenced by select film dramas of yore packed with gravitas but that's fine if you want to declare otherwise

JABEE

It is a brilliant show. I watched the first 6 episodes on Super Bowl Sunday. People will catch on.

Brakke

Banned
My dudes, Episode 9 was so lovely and good. Gutierrez is my boy, so glad he got a prominent feature. 'Bout to roll right on and polish the show off.

At first I wondered where this show could go with how dark things got up until episode 7. The switch in episode 8 leading into episode. I feel like the finale was a good ending point for the show to be honest. I feel satisfied by the end of Pious's journey.

Episode 9 was my favorite episode of tv in the last couple of years.

What a beautiful and memorable series that was. Just finished (I cried during his speech) and that was one of the most consistently great HBO productions I've seen. I'm not specifically religious but find the concepts that were touched on to be quite fascinating. Some of the philosophical discussions and those pondering faith and the existence of god were really thought provoking. I don't think I would have enjoyed this when I was younger, but at 37 this struck a chord with me that I wasn't expecting.

Amazing cinematography and had this unique quirkiness and occasional surreal moments that made me fall in love with it's style. Definitely a joy to watch. Memorable characters as well. Guitierrez and Voiello in particular had a lot of depth to them. Jude Law was incredible with his performance. He had this enigmatic presence and charisma that I never got tired of watching. While fun at times it was also frustrating because you could really tell he was in a lot of emotional/spiritual pain.

I'd give it a 9.5/10 if I was to rate my overall enjoyment of it and would easily recommend it to someone wanting to see a thoughtfully done drama.

Chris R

I really liked this. I'd write more but I'm still processing this at 1230 am

Was HBO just pulling some chains with the tagline? Season One finale?

Lkr

So is this good then? I stumbled through the first 3/4ths of the pilot and thought meh. This is common for me though I usually need a few episodes to get through.
I really liked the opening speech but then it turned out he was dreaming and I got kinda bored lol

Brakke

Banned
So is this good then? I stumbled through the first 3/4ths of the pilot and thought meh. This is common for me though I usually need a few episodes to get through.
I really liked the opening speech but then it turned out he was dreaming and I got kinda bored lol

I recommend to everyone to finish out the second episode. It ends with him giving the speech he imagined in the first, you really need both to get a handle on the show. Also the show is really good at being weird and zagging on you, so I wouldn't take what you saw and project that out as an understanding of where the show really lives.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really great series, we loved it quite a bit. Lots of thoughts. I need to rewatch it.

I'm pretty convinced
he died
but my GF doesn't quite think so.

Ferd2

Neo Member
Really great series, we loved it quite a bit. Lots of thoughts. I need to rewatch it.

I'm pretty convinced
he died
but my GF doesn't quite think so.

I think that would've been the takeaway if they weren't gonna do season 2. But electing two young popes in a row?

Klocker

God damn this show is good took me by surprise didn't think I'd like anything about it but it turned out to be freaking amazing

Jude Law best actor Emmy. So many great performances. Amazing really... I can see why some people.wont dig it but man... I am a non believer but this shit was moving

antonz

The opening speech was a fantastic play with expectations and throws everything out the window. Oh Young Pope sure he's going to be radical and change everything the church preaches. As someone who is Catholic it caught me and I figured it was going to go the route of the speech but it Is really a fantastic show that walks a tightrope of being religious while also lambasting mans role in religion and what it means to different people and the struggles they have

Blader

Not sure what to think about the ending, but what a great, weird, and impressively put-together show. If there's a season 2, I'm all in for it.

neshcom

Banned
I think that would've been the takeaway if they weren't gonna do season 2. But electing two young popes in a row?
They did spend a lot of time in the last two episodes calling Lenny a saint and sainthood requires miracles after death.

KeRaSh

I'm not entirely convinced he
died.
It could be interpreted two ways:

He died and is welcomed into heaven.
He saw God. His eyes twitching like that made it seem like he's seeing/experiencing something.

Some of you mentioned that this is getting a second season. That's great! Hopefully they just use this as a cliffhanger and nothing more.

Edit:

He was about to die but God will give him another chance?

Apt101

I finished it last night. One of my favorite shows of all time. Still decompressing it.

I think the erraticness of Lenny (in fact his entire, evolving personality), the journey he takes during the course of the series with his eventual story's conclusion, was meant to reflect the often contradictory and changing teachings of the church over the centuries.

A few questions:

1. Spencer on his deathbed - he said " you think you're the hinge. But you're the door"[, right? It was hard to make out.
2. I am positive I am missing some obvious metaphors with the kangaroo.

I am glad I was given a light Catholic education while I was young, prior to my parents splitting. People who don't understand the basics behind the Catholic church, and never having heard of the saints mentioned, probably got a hell of a lot less out of this series.

And I'm not one to get choked up watching a show, but episode 9, the letters and the scene in the backyard. Almost got me.

Klocker

Yes just rewatched episode 9 and while on first viewing I wasn't sure at the beginning if was getting it... holy shit it is by far the best episode of the series... Damn thing was beautiful. And yes that ending.

The use of music choices fit the moods so perfectly and unexpectedly. Also get a real sense of FFC's the Godfather directing, editing while watching the whole series.

Ferd2

Neo Member
it's also quite possible that he didn't die and is simply sick. his holiness survives on chain smoking and diet cherry coke. maybe he has cancer. his last line could be prophetic, just not anytime soon.

it didnt really look like a "death" scene to me.

torontoml

Did they play two episodes a week just to get it over with? I like Jude Law, but the show didn't seem like multi season material and I only finished the season because I started it. Probably won't watch a second if there is one.

Ferd2

Neo Member
Did they play two episodes a week just to get it over with? I like Jude Law, but the show didn't seem like multi season material and I only finished the season because I started it. Probably won't watch a second if there is one.

Not sure if they did it to get it over with or because they liked having the show appear on back-to-back nights as they were certainly thematically tied together, some weeks more than others. I don't think they thought it would be as big of a "hit" as it was here. I believe it carried a 4.7 and that's on busy Sunday/Monday. Not quite Westworld or GoT, but it equals their comedy ratings and when you consider that it was a huge hit in Italy and got rave reviews over there, I think Sorrentino started writing the script back in October expecting a second season.

Apt101

Rewatching the last scene, I have a feeling Jesus (God) was having a "we must speak, face to face" moment with Pious there. Whatever conversation they had will be the starting pistol for series two.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Been getting caught up on this. I like it for sure. A bit rough in spots but it's really entertaining and I love the characters. Just finished episode 5. That last shot was on some gangster shit lol

young-pope-ahhhh.gif

Also, Gutierrez is awesome. Something about that character really resonates with me. Hope to see a lot more of him.

This show was simply amazing. It isn't heavy on twists or outlandish circumstances. It's just great ol' fashioned character arcs, entertaining writing, and impressive cinematography.

A+

antonz

I just finished watching this. This is the best TV show I have seen in a very long time. I love Andrew Bird and was delighted to hear his music throughout the show (this is just amazing) . A second season is now confirmed, right?

Creator has always intended another season and is writing it etc. and on the Italian Side of things there is interest. No word on how HBO has been or if they have been approached yet. Creator wants to get Season 2 finished as far as writing etc. before he gets funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom