• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Young Pope - Jude Law, Diane Keaton (dir: Paolo Sorrentino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2016 — HBO has confirmed the debut date for the ten-episode limited drama series THE YOUNG POPE, with the first part scheduled to debut SUNDAY, JAN. 15 (9:00–10:00 p.m. ET/PT), and the second part the next night, MONDAY, JAN. 16 (9:00–10:00 p.m. ET/PT), followed by other episodes subsequent Sundays and Mondays at the same time.

HBO making me keep my HBO Now subscription after Westworld ends. I thought I'd be out after Game of Thrones, then The Night Of popped up. I thought I'd be done after that, but then it was time for Westworld.

This does look good. We've reached a point where I'm more impressed with what's going on in the TV landscape than what's happening in film.

KeRaSh

Is this an HBO show? If so why is it airing everywhere now except on HBO?
I saw the previews but didn't know it would be airing in Germany way before it came out on HBO. I'm confused.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is this an HBO show? If so why is it airing everywhere now except on HBO?
I saw the previews but didn't know it would be airing in Germany way before it came out on HBO. I'm confused.

Sorta. It's a joint production so the other distributors are airing it when they feel it's best for them. HBO has Westworld to last them until Christmas break, and then they can begin 2017 with The Young Pope.

jett

D-Member
This show is expertly made and acted, and hugely enjoyable.

But I don't understand this Pope at all.
He's completely insane. It's almost like he's intent on destroying the Church from within.

antonz

This show is expertly made and acted, and hugely enjoyable.

But I don't understand this Pope at all.
He's completely insane. It's almost like he's intent on destroying the Church from within.

Its an interesting show. It embraces some of what I expected and goes off in wild directions I hadn't.

What he is actually up to has been the most interesting thing about the show. Expected a fairly strong anti-religion show and it has its moments where it takes jabs but not really sure what his motives are. He seems to be a next level ultra conservative but then he has moments that cast that into doubt.

At times he acts how benedict spoke at one time saying the church is better off much smaller if it means sticking to its truths. Law's character seems to be taking that stance with his comments on how the church became softer in stance and speech etc to reach out more and how he wants it back to the days of fear etc.

jett

D-Member
Its an interesting show. It embraces some of what I expected and goes off in wild directions I hadn't.

What he is actually up to has been the most interesting thing about the show. Expected a fairly strong anti-religion show and it has its moments where it takes jabs but not really sure what his motives are. He seems to be a next level ultra conservative but then he has moments that cast that into doubt.

At times he acts how benedict spoke at one time saying the church is better off much smaller if it means sticking to its truths. Law's character seems to be taking that stance with his comments on how the church became softer in stance and speech etc to reach out more and how he wants it back to the days of fear etc.

Indeed, I figured a "young Pope" would be a more liberal-leaning kind of guy. And then there's the first/second episode where he suggests he doesn't believe in God, and then he does all this ultraconservative shit, alienating everyone in the process.. It's definitely really interesting to watch all of this unfurl, I really have no idea what's the show's endgame here.

FStop7

Banned
I haven't watched this, but the trailer on HBO strongly implies that Jude Law is Satan and he managed to manipulate himself into the Papacy.

Is there anything to this or is this just HBO being HBO?

jett

D-Member
I haven't watched this, but the trailer on HBO strongly implies that Jude Law is Satan and he managed to manipulate himself into the Papacy.

Is there anything to this or is this just HBO being HBO?

It's a grounded drama.

Marvel

could never
But the first episode is not complete without the second !

In the meantime though, i missed ep. 3 and 4 :
I'm still watching!

And enjoying it, it's definitely not the sort of show I thought I would enjoy so much. I find it kinda relaxing lol.

Jude kills it.

antonz

They have announced Season 2 is going to be written then they plan to pitch it for pickup. Will probably depend on how total viewership ends up. Italian Partners are very interested in it though.

xrnzaaas

I just finished this show and it was great. If you haven't seen this show and think it's super anti-catholic or is pretty straightforward on the topic of electing a controversial pope - you're wrong. I made that mistake, but luckily I have a friend who watches a lot of tv shows and I trusted on her recommendation.

My only complaint is I see no reason for having a second season. The first one had a really good conclusion and in a lot of ways it completed Lenny's transformation occuring throughout the entire season
or, depending how you look at it, we came full circle on the topic of his parents and lost childhood
I'll still watch season 2, but it's going to be very hard for Paolo Sorention to top that.

Amir0x

Banned
This is hands down my favorite TV show of the year. Remarkable, confounding, beautiful television.

I expected this to be yet another typical rumination on the hypocrisy of the papal state, and the head hypocrite who leads it. But the actual show is so much more mystifying, so much harder to pin down in both its intent and interpretation of its characters.

Jude Law is astonishing as Pope Pius. There are so many gorgeous moments in terms of cinematography, but the script can be just as mesmerizing at times. There are episodes where I had my jaw on the ground from the profound nature of the situation, or the sheer tragedy of it. But it always defied my expectations.

God I can't wait for Season 2. Almost reinvigorated my love for TV again, this and Rectify are just...wow.

Kahoona

I'm confused...I thought this show didn't debut until next month. Yet there are people in here talking like they watched it? Did I miss something?

Grzi

Just saw the first three episodes, yeah this is good. It's really really good.
The writing, directing, acting, music, costume designs, everything is top notch.

Timbuktu

Skimming the thread it looks like it showed in other regions already and HBO is airing it after.

Yeah it has shown in Italy be U.K. via sky. its a bit of a shame that it's not on at HBO at the same time, taking away from the conversation online and hardly anyone writing about the show on the American sites.

I really really enjoyed it though. Jude Law looks like he had great fun and it is a wonderful character study at least on par with Mad Men and Sopranos. It is probably the most cinematic show in terms of how it's shot that i'be seen and I really love the music and all the baroque elements. Missing the finale because I'm traveling but can't wait to finish this.

-Amon-

First season ended some time ago here in Italy.

Happy to see so many people here that liked the show.

I went in just for curiosity at the start, usually any show that revolves around Cristianity and its figures and symbols is nothing more that propaganda.

Luckily Sorrentino went in another direction and the result is a quite interesting show.

I'm afraid however that The Young Pope already jumped the shark.

Let'see season 2, i really hope i'll be proven wrong.

I finished the first season yesterday. One of the most incredible shows I have seen. Gorgeous, beautiful TV. It manages to address religious issues without being crude or inconsiderate. At the same time, when needed, it manages to elevate religion without being too preachy. It strikes a perfect balance at all times, which is especially admirable considering its themes.

The characters are all amazing, contradictory, three-dimensional creatures, whose motivations are often unclear but always fascinating to ponder. It's such a well-written and well-acted show...

Oh, and when I said gorgeous and beautiful I really meant it. Beautiful cinematography and camerawork, great set design, amazing score. And it never seems to me that it's trying to be good at what it does, it just is.

I made this today

C0EGB85WIAEfWat.jpg

FStop7

Banned
I've seen 4 eps and all I'm getting from it is that it's the celebration of bigotry without fault or consequence.

Polarbear

Banned
Guessing this is the right thread to post in for binging through S1 since the other is the yet to be aired American dates.

I'm 3 episodes in and it's beautiful to look at and very well written but seemingly rotten at it's core, with completely ludicrous and inconsistent characterization.
Lenny is a fucking bipolar lunatic. Just a total madman. One moment he's crying, pleading in front of James Cromwell, the next moment he's telling Cromwell to fuck off and eat shit when he comes and pleads to him for the position he offered him. And then he goes and tells personal stuff to that random bearded assistant guy, but deeply resents and borderline hates Sister Mary just because other people are saying she's important.

If the show ends up being about him actually being a genius or some positive force for religion I'll be really annoyed. A mentally unstable bigot like this guy should have things turn out badly for him. This is kind of like House of Cards only with an idiot in charge instead of a genius mastermind.

BadAss2961

Sorta. It's a joint production so the other distributors are airing it when they feel it's best for them. HBO has Westworld to last them until Christmas break, and then they can begin 2017 with The Young Pope.
Westworld put me to sleep.

This show is crazy. Saw the first couple episodes. Chilling, funny, and talk about bold. Damn...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just watched the first episode and was blown away by the editing, the writing, the acting, the cinematography, the soundtrack, the set design, the costumes--everything.

Easily one of the strongest openings to a TV show I've ever seen. Holy shit.

Coffinhal

Watched all of it and enjoyed it. It's definitely made by a great filmmaker with a sense of authorship and a visual approach that TV series often lack. Even if some épisodes are not just as good as the 3 first ones (drawback of the filmmaker's approach?) it is a masterpiece.

Best show of 2016. Tells a lot about the 2010s, globalisation, faith, power and in a way, about Trump and national-populist movements (applied here to a very special universe with a cleverness that we have to highlight)

Just watched the first episode and was blown away by the editing, the writing, the acting, the cinematography, the soundtrack, the set design, the costumes--everything.

Easily one of the strongest openings to a TV show I've ever seen. Holy shit.

This. Sorentino is a true metteur en scène.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom