• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MaLDoHD 4.0 Final for Crysis 2 released

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good excuse to breeze through Crysis 2 again before Crysis 3 hits. Maldo has released the fourth and (seemingly) final version of the popular MaldoHD mod for Crysis 2. See the webpage here. There's also two fixes under the download page, at the bottom, so make sure to get them.

MaldoHD introduces a number of new assets and tweaks to Crysis 2.
- At the top of the list, more textures than I can count have replaced Crysis 2's stock textures. Most of these textures are far, far higher resolution than Crytek's own (including from the HD Texture pack), and are enhanced with DX11 effects such as tessellation.
- Numerous textures rendering issues (seams, flickering, etc) have been fixed throughout every map.
- Custom loader that allows you to tweak Crysis 2's settings beyond standards, such as view distance, LOD ratio, shadow blur, and so on.
- Tweaking the custom loader can also reduce the impact of certain effects that may cripple performance for some users. EG: MaldoHD allows for reduced tessellation (or removing water tessellation), tweaking the DOF bokeh, turning off SSDO and reflections specifically, and more.
- It also introduces subpixel FXAA ultra settings, combined with a SweetFX sharpener. Crysis 2's non-supersampling AA is notoriously difficult to get working, so this is probably the best solution for those of us playing at native resolutions while avoiding the usual awful blur associated with FXAA.

Here's an image I took.

maldo10u4j.png

Worth a play!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MaldoHD is the bees knees. A must for anyone playing C2 on pc, ridiculously easy to setup and gives you a much much better experience with the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I see jaggies on the lamp post. Better supersample it to be safe.

*Dem leaves. Might DL this.
bYTeIMc.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't really use torrents, so what's the best torrent app to use for downloading this mod?

uTorrent. I got excellent speeds too, and I'm in Australia.

Couple of shots from the previous version, though relevant for the pretty texture work.

cry1kjsss.png

cry2xvsz1.png

uTorrent. I got excellent speeds too, and I'm in Australia.

Couple of shots from the previous version, though relevant for the pretty texture work.

cry1kjsss.png

cry2xvsz1.png

Thanks, this looks all kinds of lovely. Never properly played Crysis 2 before, but picked it up in the steam sales last year, and this mod might be the motivation to start playing. It looks utterly jawdropping.

Anilusion

Thanks for the new thread, I can't create new threads and used the "C2 tweaking" one. Copypaste

Screenshots DX11 ULTRA with crytek HD textures on Versus MaLDoHD 4.0 in recommended settings

What magic is this? Game looks way better and you have higher FPS in every single screenshot with the mod enabled.

Thanks for the new thread, I can't create new threads and used the "C2 tweaking" one. Copypaste

Screenshots DX11 ULTRA with crytek HD textures on Versus MaLDoHD 4.0 in recommended settings

Antialiasing combo screenshots 1200p

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-V...2-24-15-55.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...2-24-30-19.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c...2-25-51-99.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...2-25-33-23.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q...2-25-03-63.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o...2-26-07-45.jpg

Screenshots from the textures thread

:O

This is amazing. Has anyone from Crytek contacted you?

MaLDo

What magic is this? Game looks way better and you have higher FPS in every single screenshot with the mod enabled.

All graphics settings are tweaked to improve performance. Far away lod is reduced to improve cpu load, tesselation density is reduced too and some ultra effects that are barely visible are disabled. Texel density is higher and every other texture has now detail layer, graphics glitches are fixed, misplace decals are corrected and a lot of objects/new decals are added, so in my opinion the overall aspect is better and performance is a lot higher. Now you can use tesselation and parallax mapping without all the performance hit of Ultra preset.

The mod also modify gameplay.

Gbraga

It IMPROVES performance? Holy crap, MalDo, you're awesome.

I really don't feel like replaying Crysis 2 though, so I hope you do your magic in Crysis 3!

EatChildren

All graphics settings are tweaked to improve performance. Far away lod is reduced to improve cpu load, tesselation density is reduced too and some ultra effects that are barely visible are disabled. Texel density is higher and every other texture has now detail layer, graphics glitches are fixed, misplace decals are corrected and a lot of objects/new decals are added, so in my opinion the overall aspect is better and performance is a lot higher. Now you can use tesselation and parallax mapping without all the performance hit of Ultra preset.

Do you have a list of exactly what your mod dials down or turns off? It's impressive you've managed to keep such excellent image quality while theoretically pushing less intense effects than Crysis 2 Ultra vanilla.

Do you have a list of exactly what your mod dials down or turns off? It's impressive you've managed to keep such excellent image quality while theoretically pushing less intense effects than Crysis 2 Ultra vanilla.

Particle sahdows and the higher presets for motionblur and depth of field are turned down. (no dx11 Bokeh, no higher precision motionblur, no particle motionblur).

Particle shadows are probably the largest offender in that list. The C2 implementation is not very good in terms of optimation and use. When you shoots at an area multiple times in quick succesion, the particles try to shadows eachother (mind blowingly intensive) and brings the most powerful of rigs to their knees.

The C3 implementation of Particle shadows runs much better and does not look anywhre noticably worse.

Also... lets not forget that the DX11 Bokeh in Crysis 2 is completely borked (something which they may or may not have fixed for c3 to be honest).

MaLDo

Particle sahdows and the higher presets for motionblur and depth of field are turned down. (no dx11 Bokeh, no higher precision motionblur, no particle motionblur).

Particle shadows are probably the largest offender in that list. The C2 implementation is not very good in terms of optimation and use. When you shoots at an area multiple times in quick succesion, the particles try to shadows eachother (mind blowingly intensive) and brings the most powerful of rigs to their knees.

The C3 implementation of Particle shadows runs much better and does not look anywhre noticably worse.

Also... lets not forget that the DX11 Bokeh in Crysis 2 is completely borked (something which they may or may not have fixed for c3 to be honest).

That's right. Precision motionblur doesn't affect greatly the performance, but I need to disable it (when using recommended settings) because I don't like the bokeh dof in crysis 2 (the effect is great but the use they do is bad implemented). Otherwise, you can activate those effects using mod config tool if you want.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Reinstalling Crysis 2 just to try this, looks awesome!

The DX11 upgrade is taking hours to download... :\

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good thing I DL'd the necessarily files after putting this rig together. I hope I can run it at 60fps on 2 670's.

MaLDo

Good thing I DL'd the necessarily files after putting this rig together. I hope I can run it at 60fps on 2 670's.

Probably you can get 60 fps with only one 670.

SuperÑ;47574614 said:
Isn't MaLDo spanish, btw?

Yes!

Does that mean I don't need to dl Crytek HD textures?

You can use Crytek HD textures. I used to play with both. If one texture is into crytek pak and MaLDoHD, modded version is showed.

LiquidMetal14

I have to find some spots but I took a few shots.

crysis22013-02-1110-5b3j8n.png

crysis22013-02-1110-3bvj4w.png

crysis22013-02-1110-4uckdc.png

No problem running this on 2 670's in 1080p. My fps is capped to 50 though so not sure why that's the case. Is it a vsync issue?

LiquidMetal14

2 more. I enabled the particle shadows and reflections. No impact on performance.

Also, in windows mode I get 60fps but in full screen it's 50, odd.

crysis22013-02-1111-0dzlix.png

crysis22013-02-1111-00ca1z.png

LiquidMetal14

Where's a good spot to test thing the hardest? I am tempted to run everything maxed as I already put up most of the sliders to the max.

And last 4 shots for me for now. This time everything is maxed including the FXAA with sharpen enabled settings.

crysis22013-02-1111-1plj78.png

crysis22013-02-1111-2q3kiz.png

crysis22013-02-1111-24pjr9.png

crysis22013-02-1111-2uhk67.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The most impressive thing about Maldo's texture packs for Crysis 2 is how accurate they are to the original game textures. Sure, he took a couple liberties here and there but for the most part it just looks like a sharper version of Crysis 2, instead of some weird alternate artistic direction some modder thought up.

EatChildren

That's right. Precision motionblur doesn't affect greatly the performance, but I need to disable it (when using recommended settings) because I don't like the bokeh dof in crysis 2 (the effect is great but the use they do is bad implemented). Otherwise, you can activate those effects using mod config tool if you want.

Cheers guys. I always turn particle shadows back on in the MaldoHD config, even though I've always known it butchers performance.

Couple of shots I took from the latest release.

crysis_1o9kuj.png

crysis_2hkkzv.png

Holy crap! I just installed this and I simply cannot believe how good it looks and how much better it runs than vanilla Crysis! It's like playing a goddamn CG movie.

Thanks Maldo, incredible work!

Moff

this is amazing, but I doubt I should play this right now, crysis 3 will not look as good as this and will perform worse

but I reminded me what nice shooter the crysis games are, I am really pumped for next week now

For some reason vysnc is broken in my Crysis 2, no matter where I force it from. I get some shitty double buffered shit by which I mean it drops down to 25fps if it falls below 50fps (a cap which is due to another unrelated bug courtesy of Crytek). Tried forcing it with control panel, triple buffer vsync with D3DOverrider, and also the in-game option, but no dice.

GHG

For some reason vysnc is broken in my Crysis 2, no matter where I force it from. I get some shitty double buffered shit by which I mean it drops down to 25fps if it falls below 50fps (a cap which is due to another unrelated bug courtesy of Crytek). Tried forcing it with control panel, triple buffer vsync with D3DOverrider, and also the in-game option, but no dice.

This is a known problem with the Crysis games, especially when you are outputting via HDMI to a HDTV or simply just via HDMI.

Create a custom resolution of 2048 x 1152 @ 60hz in the Nvidia control panel and play using that. Problem solved with minimal drop in performance.

This is awesome. Running nearly perfectly on my 6870/i5 3500k at 60fps. Only issue I'm running into is loading times are in the 2-3 minute mark, and I'm getting 10 or so second pauses throughout gameplay every few minutes. Otherwise this has made the game much more playable for me.

finley83

Banned
Fucking hell, how does someone even start on doing this on their own? Anyway, thanks for the thread, I wouldn't have known there was a new release otherwise. Pity I'm giving up gaming for lent I guess...

Top Bottom