• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MaLDoHD 4.0 Final for Crysis 2 released

c23ika3.png
Do you have an AMD card?

I'm guessing you do judging from the right door

Schlomo

For anyone having the 24/50Hz issue, try a program called Direct Refresh to force 60Hz. Someone recommended this in the Steam Forums and it works perfectly for me.

Czigga

im not too technically well versed about this stuff, it's amazing to me that one guy can basically re-skin a whole game by himself, and have it look better AND run better than a large dedicated team of high paid professionals.

much thanks maldo. I dare say this rivals durante's dark souls mod.

Hypron

im not too technically well versed about this stuff, it's amazing to me that one guy can basically re-skin a whole game by himself, and have it look better AND run better than a large dedicated team of high paid professionals.

much thanks maldo. I dare say this rivals durante's dark souls mod.

He indeed did some amazing job (and is incredibly talented), but keep in mind the team of highly paid professionals are making the whole game from scratch, whereas he's coming and fixing/improving what's already been done. It's completely different. Same thing goes for any mod actually.

MaLDo

Nope! GTX 570. I always get weird shadow effects like that in Crysis 2.

Cryengine shadows works this way. In order to reduce the problem, you can play with the shadows cvars. I do not know which ones are unlocked in the game (I use one with cvars unlocked) but you can always change them using the file sys_spec_shadows.cfg into the mod folder.

Rise the shadowmap resolution with "e_ShadowsMaxTexRes" and reduce a bit the "e_GsmRange" value (try 2.6 - 2.5 ..) this cvar changes the radius of first circle of shadows around the character (highest shadow density zone), but also the factor of increase for the following concentric parts.

On topic, thank you GAF for the support!

Spazznid

Cryengine shadows works this way. In order to reduce the problem, you can play with the shadows cvars. I do not know which ones are unlocked in the game (I use one with cvars unlocked) but you can always change them using the file sys_spec_shadows.cfg into the mod folder.

Rise the shadowmap resolution with "e_ShadowsMaxTexRes" and reduce a bit the "e_GsmRange" value (try 2.6 - 2.5 ..) this cvar changes the radius of first circle of shadows around the character (highest shadow density zone), but also the factor of increase for the following concentric parts.

On topic, thank you GAF for the support!

Much love MaLDo.

I know you're probably as anxious as I am to get my hands on C3.

PowerK

Maldo,

as you know included SweetFX (InjectSMAA to be specific) is broken under Windows 8.

An interesting thing is that,
- Crysis 2 vanilla (DX9 as well as DX11) works fine on Windows 8
- Crysis 2 vanilla with SweetFX works fine on Windows 8 as well.

It seems to be the SweetFX *with* MaldoHD 4.0 which causes "resolution undefined" problem on Windows 8.

Since you don't seem to be using Windows 8, is there anything for us Windows 8 users can try to help you solve the problem ? (No, running the game with admin privilege doesn't do anything).

MaLDo

Maldo,

as you know included SweetFX (InjectSMAA to be specific) is broken under Windows 8.

It seems to be the SweetFX *with* MaldoHD 4.0 which causes "resolution undefined" problem on Windows 8.

Since you don't seem to be using Windows 8, is there anything for us Windows 8 users can try to help you solve the problem ? (No, running the game with admin privilege doesn't do anything).

Shocking news for me!. So, if you have dxgi.dll injector into bin32 folder and sweetfx_settings.cfg is into crysis 2 folder with SMAA shader activated and you run Crysis 2 vanilla using DX11, it works fine, right?. What if you start the game without the mod, and then select MaLDoHDv4 into the mod menu?

Another test could be create a batch file "crysis2_maldohd.bat" with the call "crysis2.exe -mod MaLDoHDv4" and then run this as admin.

PowerK

Shocking news for me!. So, if you have dxgi.dll injector into bin32 folder and sweetfx_settings.cfg is into crysis 2 folder with SMAA shader activated and you run Crysis 2 vanilla using DX11, it works fine, right?. What if you start the game without the mod, and then select MaLDoHDv4 into the mod menu?

Another test could be create a batch file "crysis2_maldohd.bat" with the call "crysis2.exe -mod MaLDoHDv4" and then run this as admin.
I'll try that and let you know tomorrow. (I won't be able to access my main PC today).

bee

played some more last night, nope definitely not gonna be able to finish it without some sort of hack or level select, compared to crysis on delta it's just painful/boring to play

Well I got it working, but even on a 570 I have to turn most of the bells and whistles off. Recommended settings don't get anywhere near locking 60 fps. Even with the shadows turned down (not SSAO, but something like it), tessellation on low/off an water tessellation off I still get huge framerate dips caused by parallax. I'm running most settings such as LOD, shadows, etc. at the "very high" setting, and I can't get a stable 60 fps.

MaLDo

Well I got it working, but even on a 570 I have to turn most of the bells and whistles off. Recommended settings don't get anywhere near locking 60 fps. Even with the shadows turned down (not SSAO, but something like it), tessellation on low/off an water tessellation off I still get huge framerate dips caused by parallax. I'm running most settings such as LOD, shadows, etc. at the "very high" setting, and I can't get a stable 60 fps.

Are you using DXOverrider or double Alt+Enter tweak to activate Triplebuffering?. Your gpu must move parallax without performance hit. Can you post screenshot with fraps overlay enabled?

Are you using DXOverrider or double Alt+Enter tweak to activate Triplebuffering?. Your gpu must move parallax without performance hit. Can you post screenshot with fraps overlay enabled?

I haven't tried either of those, I'll give both a shot and post screens with fraps once I'm back today - the d3doverrider that I got with Riva tuner for triple buffering? And I haven't heard of the alt enter trick?

it's mainly fire fights that drop my frame rate fluctuates like crazy

Eyothrie

Is there a way to enable the mod before launching the game in the Steam version? Adding
-mod maldohdv4 at the end of the target path doesn't work. I have to go into the Mods menu in the game and manually select it.

haikira

Just went to install my Crysis 2 again on steam and I've hit my install limit. Sigh. Contacted live support and they've given me a number to call tomorrow, during opening hours. What a pain.

Maybe i'll get to try MaLDoHD 4.0 tomorrow, if i'm lucky.

Alright, here's what I've been able to find so far.

The first set of images I ran on Recommended Settings, using Triple Buffering from D3DOverrider. The game is running on a GTX 570, and I have not tweaked in game options:

jbnferNUdwEPkM_xs.jpg

jAAOvEpeOcJxB_xs.jpg

Here are some action screens - When in no action and in corridors without vistas, I can push upwards of 40-50 FPS, but playing the game is regularly jumping around from that down to 30:

Right on booting it up, solid 30:

ibx9LAE9N2QV3q.bmp

By some particularly intense walls:

ib1KXFBlHUOJBK.bmp

A High point - looking down an alleyway, no action:

ilDBQPBU8RjSD.bmp

During a fight:

ixQ4JBfB2FwM.bmp

To get close to 60 frames, I had to use the following settings:

Vertical Field of View: 60 (bumped down 3)
Antialiasing: Original FXAA (Bumped down 1)
LOD Ratio: 6 (Bumped down from 12)
View Distance: 3 (Same)
Shadow Blur: 1.00 (Bumped down from 1.75)
Parallax: ON (Was ON before)
Water Tessellation: OFF (Was OFF before)
Objects Tessellation: Normal (Was Normal before)
SSDO: OFF (Was ON before)
Not Vanish Corpses: OFF (was ON before)
Vignetting: OFF (was ON before)

Results:

60 Frames right off the bat:

i3zQeWM7THy8j.bmp

About as low as it goes ever - near a fire:

ibpGqGynvHRU7w.bmp

Near an explosion:

iRYCToSsXmFLE.bmp

So with my changes I can get a fairly stable rate - triple buffering may have helped, because last night I couldn't have Parallax on and have a framerate this high. I do have to run Antialiasing rather low, and LOD at 6 is the lowest recommended. I stil don't know about the alt-tabbing effect, but I was wondering if this is what people were getting performance wise.

EDIT: Also last night I had some weird things enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel from ages ago - disabling those may have been responsible for some bigger framerate dips

And now my game crashed. Upon reopening it, I was prompted to sign in, as though I hadn't opened it before. Maldo mod no longer detects the registry and says "access to the path "MalDoHD_C2_Setup.exe" is denied.

I don't know what the hell is going on

MaLDo

Alright, here's what I've been able to find so far.

The first set of images I ran on Recommended Settings, using Triple Buffering from D3DOverrider. The game is running on a GTX 570, and I have not tweaked in game options:

Those exactly 30 fps screenshots says your triplebuffering is not working ok.

Ingame vsync is broken for most of the systems, so turn ingame vsync off. Force vsync on in your crysis 2 nvidia profile, and test avoiding DXOverrider and then use double Alt+Enter to activate game triplebuffering. The less programs and variables, the simplest solution.

If your framerate rises when you lower LOD and object distance, your main problem is CPU performance.

Those exactly 30 fps screenshots says your triplebuffering is not working ok.

Ingame vsync is broken for most of the systems, so turn ingame vsync off. Force vsync on in your crysis 2 nvidia profile, and test avoiding DXOverrider and then use double Alt+Enter to activate game triplebuffering. The less programs and variables, the simplest solution.

If your framerate rises when you lower LOD and object distance, your main problem is CPU performance.

I definitely had in game Vsync on, so I'll go ahead and turn that off and force it through Nvidia control panel. It's definitely getting alot closer to 60 frames, that's for sure. What should I be doing though? "double alt + enter"??

Yeah my cpu is an I5 2500 k , so it isn't top of the line anymore, that's for sure

Eyothrie

Just press alt+enter while in the game (toggles windowed mode) then press alt-enter again to go back to full screen which activates triple buffering

Just press alt+enter while in the game (toggles windowed mode) then press alt-enter again to go back to full screen which activates triple buffering

Does it really??? Is that a default part of the mod?

EDIT: and i guess my stupidity somehow confers upon me member status?

Triple buffering working or not, I have the game running pretty smoothly - in game vsync may have been the culprit. However I have run into this odd wave like effect on certain walls - any fix? It appears to move up and down the wall when you approach it or step back:

iblCG0Lll8imxh.bmp

ib1YPmBAjVbl9I.bmp

PowerK

Maldo,

I'll try that and let you know tomorrow. (I won't be able to access my main PC today).
Maldo,

I just tried SweetFX with Crysis 2 vanilla on Windows 8. And the resolution undefined problem is still there. I thought injectSMAA worked fine with Crysis 2 vanilla on Windows 8 but I must have mixed up while dual-booting with Windows 7.
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Metal-Geo

Triple buffering working or not, I have the game running pretty smoothly - in game vsync may have been the culprit. However I have run into this odd wave like effect on certain walls - any fix? It appears to move up and down the wall when you approach it or step back:

http://i.minus.com/iblCG0Lll8imxh.bmp[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib1YPmBAjVbl9I.bmp[/IM][/QUOTE]
That's Parallax Occlusion Mapping arsing out. Also present in many areas without Maldo's mod. ;) (With the DX11 patch and textures that is)

MaLDo

http://i.minus.com/iblCG0Lll8imxh.bmp[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib1YPmBAjVbl9I.bmp[/IM][/QUOTE]

Metal-Geo is right. There are a lot of parallax glitches without the mod that I tried to fix and there are a few added in the mod because I added parallax. The example you have found is one that I have not seen. It is in Battery Park? I'll find and fix it then using the map position in your hud.

This effect appears when using parallax in certain objects because the way in which they are embedded and its faces joint angle . Curiously, there are a few places in Crysis 3 multiplayer beta where you can see this glitch.

Nerdstrom

Banned
any help on getting this working with steam? maximum edition? thanks! I have the files but no idea how to get it working with steam.

Sethos

Banned
any help on getting this working with steam? maximum edition? thanks! I have the files but no idea how to get it working with steam.

Point the installation to the Steam folder install of C2, set it up and start it with the newly created .exe

There's nothing special about the Steam version.

Nerdstrom

Banned
I get this when running the installer
************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
at MaLDoHD_C2_Setup.frmStart.InstalarMod()

thanks

I've been playing Crysis 2 over the last few days, and, like many other posters in this thread, would like to thank MaLDo for his fantastic work. I bought my gaming rig last November, and the one thing I've grown to love about PC gaming is the mods, but more than that, it's the enthusiasm and dedication, not to mention the stunning quality of their work, that modders bring to these games, so people like me can enjoy the game above and beyond what the developers originally intended. So, thanks for your work, it's really appreciated.

Zeth

Thanks to those who posted this 50fps fix: With Vsync on in-game, turn it off but click "no" when it asks to confirm. Worked for me.

Is the max AA setting the best? I don't have SweetFX installed, does Maldo include it in the mod? It sure looks good. The "No post AA, SMAA Ultra" setting makes my textures look strange/blurry.
Which should I turn down first to improve performance, LOD or View Distance? I have them at 16 and 6. Would like to get the framerate/time a bit more stable.

Spazznid

MaLDo, I need help. I'm unable to load Semper Fi or Die. I read in another thread that this was in beta but I installed the final version over the beta version and it won't load that level still...

Should I do a clean reinstall of the mod or the game? what do?

MaLDo

MaLDo, I need help. I'm unable to load Semper Fi or Die. I read in another thread that this was in beta but I installed the final version over the beta version and it won't load that level still...

Should I do a clean reinstall of the mod or the game? what do?

Do you have a madisonsquare.cry file into "crysis 2\mods \MaLDoHDv4\Gamecrysis2\Levels\MadisonSquare" folder?

If yes, I think you have not installed correctly the mod.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Going to be running this in literally five minutes, been running previous versions since forever. Very few things look better than this on PC (Skyrim ENB's aside).

Spazznid

Rename "mods\MaLDoHDv4" to "mods\MaLDoHDv4_BETA" and install final version again. Then post if you have madisonsquare.cry again.

Cleanly installing the mod after deleting the folder did the trick, methinks. Found a bug in mine though. When you first approach the guy and lady talking/arguing as they leave in a helicopter, the window's bottom is missing and I can see through the mesh/geometry.

Runs at a fabulous 60fps.

I have a question. Do you plan to take a bit of time off during the C3 release? Or are you going in head first? I'd imagine you'll be taking time off, yes?

I haven't read the thread, so excuse me if it has been mentioned already, but did Maldo make gameplay tweaks as well?

I made a clean install and started a new game and I'm 99% certain Alcatraz runs way faster than normal (potentially spending less energy too / maybe jumping higher). Gould didn't even have the time to finish his speech and I was out of the building where the game starts.

If I am right, it seems like an important change to go undocumented no?

Top Bottom