• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate (3DS) Demo thread

Sadist

It's up in the EU and it would be fun to discuss the demo. As it's the first non-Iga handheld in years, I'd say it might receive some criticism. But honestly, from what I've played it's pretty cool. Don't know how other 3DS owners will respond.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm glad there's a demo because watching footage leaves me with a ton of questions. Especially in regards to the combat. Hopefully my worries will be put to rest so I can enjoy a new Castlevania.

Doczu

Gold Member
Framerate. Playable?
Graphics. Are they nice?
Controls. Tight enough?
English. Do you speak it?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The E3 Demo is the same but it's been improved to be more representative of the final product. Such as framerate, combat fluidness and other stuff.

daakusedo

I'll replay it later to see how it will be now that I have a grasp of the controls. But while there's more moves at your disposal, it's not tight like previous games, so that's like give and take.
It's seems also less rich and memorable in the locations, lot of dark blue and warm red contrast in the demo and the camera is really far to see the details.
No idea how open it gets but there were some closed doors during that playthrough. It was not bad though, seems just a bit short to really know what to expect.
But I think the style and overall platforming being a bit stiff could be a problem. The best thing was the last boss I think, when you have to do a lot of different dodge moves.
Now time for my first monster hunter experience...

protonion

Played a bit. Meh. It feels like a 2d gow game.
The graphics hurt my eyes.
I'll give it another chance but its not castlevania.

Ragus

Banned
From the other thread:

I've just finished the demo.

Wow, I never thought I would enjoy this so much, as before launching it, I was quite sceptical. The combat is tight, very simmilar to LoS, but in 2d (many combos etc.) The game looks very nice. Character models are one of the best (the best?) which I have seen on 3DS.

The demo was linear, but hey, it's a demo. I saw some places, where I could go only after completing certain objectives, so I guess there is some exploring in this game.

I liked platforming section. Jumping on platforms while using a whip? Why not, it was fun.

On the other hand, framerate is quite low, and at the beginning, I thought it would be a deal breaker for me. But after 5 minutes I got used to it.

I'll wait to hear what is the lenght of the game, and if it's decent, then I may be even able to buy it day 1. I really enjoyed the demo.

I may have beaten LoS but damn that first miniboss like enemy a minute into the game kept killing me as I tried to remember how the evade and counters worked in relation to the enemies attacks flashing (turns out jumping over it worked much better), I can see this demo putting people off based on some tricky encounters alone.

Anyway it's basically like LoS in 2D as expected, the combat isn't as drawn out as I expected but currently move options are limited, the platforming aspect is okay, nothing more nothing less, I wager it will be a bit stronger than the 3D titles platforming in the long run but otherwise it's your standard glowing wall automatically locking on grapple shenanigans.

Visually it's good enough, the 3D slider adds a lot of depth though the frame rate takes a bit of a hit, I still stuck with 3D on max, there's a few moments where the game lobs something right at the screen to take advantage of this. Still while the 3D visuals do convey some nice atmosphere I will lament the loss of the old sprite style on my Nintendo handhelds.

Overall it seems decent, if you don't like LoS in general than this will not sway you at all, on the other hand if you're more accepting of the combat focused style shift you might find a solid action game in here but i'm not expecting this one to be a must have title or anything.

Sadist

Completed the demo.

It's definitely going to take some time after the last six games on GBA/DS, but at this point I like it. In the graphics department it's nice I guess. I still prefer the sprites, but I suppose this looks good enough. It's not the prettiest 3DS game ever made. Did like the animations before the bossfight.

As for the rest, it's handheld Castlevania but with more combat elements. You don't have a lot of combo's in the demo, but in the actual game you'll see those. It works well. Backdashing, secondary weapons usage is good. The boss at the end of the demo was pretty easy, allthough I died because I forgot to press the R-button.

I like the fact that the whip is used for exploration. Overall a positive first impression. But I think it's safe to say people will prefer the GBA/DS games over this.

beje

Banned
I really didn't like it. Too much handholding for such small and self-contained scenarios. It's just one small step away of just playing itself (exploration-wise)...

At first, i was skeptical too. But then I played the demo.
So, i'll start with the bad thing: The framerate... well I wouldn't say "bad". Framerate just inconsistent, it can be good, but you can also notice drops. But it really improved framerate wise. I thought it would be a problem; but you get used to it in 5 minutes. Otherwise, nice game from what I've played. Combat feels nice, graphics are good, 3D is nice. Good thing they've delayed it.

Celine

At first, i was skeptical too. But then I played the demo.
So, i'll start with the bad thing: The framerate... well I wouldn't say "bad". Framerate just inconsistent, it can be good, but you can also notice drops. But it really improved framerate wise. I thought it would be a problem; but you get used to it in 5 minutes. Otherwise, nice game from what I've played. Combat feels nice, graphics are good, 3D is nice. Good thing they've delayed it.
Completed the demo.
The drops aren't that frequent or noticable IMO, it's just that the game feels it run at 25-30fps (could be smoother).
Overall I liked it but I'm of the impression I didn't get right the parry/dodge system for the enemy with the shield (they took a bit too much to dispose...).

Also the 3D is good, no ghosting like in OoT3D.

Aru

Just tried the demo (but didn't finish it). Yeah, it's basically LoS 2D.
I don't know if this game is for me or not. I enjoyed LoS as a stand alone game, it was very good but on a Castlevania standpoint I can't say it was that great.
And it looks like it should be the same way for this game. Great action game, but flawed Castlevania game.
At least the platforming seems to be better in this one (less Uncharted-like), but character response isn't fast enough in comparison to Igavanias.

I might buy this game at a bargain price or at least if they make an HD version that has a locked framerate.

As always, I'll wait for the reviews.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
played it, came out surprisingly impressed

framerate is not so bad. I didn't notice any hard drops, and game runs fine. Graphics are very good, impressive at points, and maybe I'm wrong but they've been refined a lot since early videos. Gameplay is a entertaining mix of platform and hack'n'slash, definitely a portable LOS. Combos and secondary weapons are easily executed. Music is kind of meh, which would be disappointing for a Castlevania fan, although it needs to be said demo covers only a couple of areas. Atmosphere is pretty good; I was immersed from the start, which is a major plus for a Castlevania, and when I finished the demo I was left wanting for more. Good stuff

will wait for reviews but my purchase is almost a lock after playing this, and I was super skeptical

aparisi2274

It's up in the EU and it would be fun to discuss the demo. As it's the first non-Iga handheld in years, I'd say it might receive some criticism. But honestly, from what I've played it's pretty cool. Don't know how other 3DS owners will respond.

I played the demo at E3 last year, and I really enjoyed it. Were there some issues with control, sure, but I am hoping that they have since corrected that.

I am looking to try out an updated demo on the US shop when it is available.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The impressions are surprisingly positive. I hope this game is just like Lords of Shadows: flawed, but a highly memorable experience once it's done.

Hiltz

I'm guessing it could generally receive 7- 7.5 reviews, but hopefully the game has a lot more to offer that will make it better than expected.

Ahmed360

Awwww thanks for tip! Downloading as we speak

HUGE castlevania here, but not super excited, I still prefer true 2D castlevania
Lets try it first!

Hiltz

yep that's my pred as well. Maybe it will even get some 8s down the road

Yeah, some 8's too, of course. It's disappointing that the music doesn't seem that be that good. I really liked Order of Ecclesia's OST as well as the other Konami-developed 2D Castlevania titles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Music is by the LoS composer. Not Michiru Yamane so yeah it won't be the music you generally refer to as Castlevania music.

Yeah, I feel like this game would be better with Classic Castlevania OST. The music felt nice but... Nothing memorable. They could have brought orchestrated classic Castlevania themes.:-(

Top Bottom