• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 CPU to run at 2GHz

I'm not sure how credible PS4Daily is, but here's their rumor:

The AMD-made PlayStation 4 CPU will be clocked at 2 GHz and built on 28 nm process at GlobalFoundries in New York.

We’ve got an interesting bit of news regarding the PlayStation 4 CPU. The AMD-made processor will have a final clock speed of 2 GHz. So far the CPU has been underclocked at 1.6 GHz for development kits sent out to various developers.

Previous leaks put the clock speed at 1.6 GHz, but that was for development kits. The final clock speed for the 8-core AMD CPU will be bumped up 2 GHz according to our source. On top of that, the source reports that both the CPU and the GPU will be manufactured at 28nm at GlobalFoundries’ Fab 8 in New York — GlobalFoundries is co-owned by AMD. A desktop version of the “Jaguar” CPU will be available later this year.

The custom chip in the PlayStation 4 includes both the CPU and GPU — both components are made by AMD. The 8-core CPU is based on the upcoming “Jaguar” design, while the GPU is based on the Radeon 7000-series and is capable of 1.84 TFLOPS of processing power. That’s about 4.5x more powerful than the PS3 GPU.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/playstation-4-cpu-runs-at-2-ghz-rumor/

Yeah, I posted this in one of the numerous ps4 CPU threads a couple days ago.

I have never personally heard of ps4daily, which is why I shyed away from a thread.

More power = better, but man, I worry what all these "upgrades" do to the price...

Oh man Deadmeat has commented on that article, Microsoft must be shitting themselves if they have sent him out again.

Also, AMD and GF are completely separate now. AMD paid their way out last year.

Will that allow developers to code to titanium and use the 8GB GDDR5 to achieve 120fps?

How many enthusiast PCs duct taped together is this?

Ashler

Better clocks is always a plus.

If it doesn't reduce the lifespan of the console, nor does it make it sound like a jet plane, i'm all for it!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lol! Deadmeat is around! It's like one of the post presidential debate spin rooms where you the crazy surrogates.

I don't believe this news.

Somnid

Given that we know the processor is of x86 architecture, isn't that besides the point?

No, because the question was fairly broad and it's a common point of confusion like thinking multiple cores gives you linear scaling. For example, even within x86 the architectures differ so the fact that it's x86 doesn't mean 1Hz is equal to another, what you meant to say is that they are the same AMD "Jaguar" processor and this does make them comparable.

strata8

Given that we know the processor is of x86 architecture, isn't that besides the point?

Microarchitecture is the word he meant. PS4's CPU is based upon Jaguar while the 360 is PowerPC, etc.

edit: Uh, that was wrong. Better comparison is Jaguar vs Sandy Bridge or something. Both x86 architecture but different microarchitectures.

Hermii

I dont think he is talking about x86, I think he is talking about Jaguar.

You can compare a 1.5 ghz and 2 ghz jaguar and scale it linearly, but not a 1.5ghz jaguar with a 1.2ghz i5.

AlexM

It depends on what kind of coding you are doing. If the task isn't easily broken up jobs you can do in parallel then clock speed helps a lot. Games are relatively hard to break into parallel tasks so they will certainly benefit from a higher clock speed.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
1.6ghz isn't underclocked for a jaguar core, it's stock. so that would be a 25% overclock while also doubling the standard number of cores on a chip.

unless there is also some liquid cooling solution being rumoured, i'm going to need a better source for this.

strata8

1.6ghz isn't underclocked for a jaguar core, it's stock. so that would be a 25% overclock while also doubling the standard number of cores on a chip.

unless there is also some liquid cooling solution being rumoured, i'm going to need a better source for this.

A stock 4 core Jaguar APU has a TDP of 15W with the GPU included. That's literally passive cooling territory.

StuBurns

Banned
Better, no? At least if that recent article about Durango's CPU being stock Jaguar.
I don't know, I've found it near impossible to keep up with all the rumours. The last 'layman' thread about it was saying the PS4 had the edge in GPU and RAM, but XB3 had it in CPU. No idea of anything beyond then.

I wonder if they haven't quite got the case nailed down with the addition of RAM and if this report it to be believed, an overclock. I'd imagine doing such things late in the day would cause a bit of a nightmare with keeping the heat level down in the hardware to an acceptable level?

Elios83

I don't believe a rumor from a random unknown site, but purely basing the discussion on what was announced during the Sony conference, the clock frequency for both the GPU and memory have been set while the same can't be said for the CPU.
Jaguar's working range is 1.6GHz-2Ghz as far as I know, so the reason why they haven't announced a clock frequency for the CPU might be either that it's not finalized and could be higher than 1.6Ghz or that simply they don't give much importance to the CPU considering that it does little to contribute to the whole raw power of the system.

Top Bottom